Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday December 13, 2019
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.5L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 11-26-2019, 10:10 AM   #1
KS07WRXTR
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 506853
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2007 WRX TR
37J

Default 07' WRX Running Rich, CEL's

I Recently got my 07' Hawkeye and its got a few CEL's and it is running pretty rich, Yes i know its better to run rich than too lean...

CEL'S:

P0032-Front 02 Heater Control Circuit High Input, ive already replaced the 02 and still no fix with clearing them using my ap3, was curious if having a cat-less exhaust would be the route of that and if i just need to get it pro-tuned or if anyone could point me in the right direction ( Figured i could probably fix 90% of it with a tune since im running an cat-less exhaust)

P-0458- Evap System Purge Valve Circuit Low Input (could this be a faulty evap solenoid but the intake?)

and of course to finish off the codes i have the P2431 & P2432 air inj. pump codes, i live in kansas where there aren't emission laws so i know i can get a block off plate and delete codes with AccessTuner, also my Cobb shows my a/f as 14.7 even wot...can someone please point me in the right direction.
KS07WRXTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2019, 10:31 AM   #2
shagfagon
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 337836
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
Aspen White

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS07WRXTR View Post
it is running pretty rich...
also my Cobb shows my a/f as 14.7 even wot...
14.7 at WOT is insanely lean, not rich.

Stop going WOT or else you will pop that motor in no time.

You need to diagnose your front o2 sensor and actually fix the problem. You may have installed a bad o2 out of the box. Also more likely that there is a break in the heater circuit somewhere.

P0032 means the resistance in the o2 heater circuit is higher than normal, which means either the resistor has gone bad or the circuit is just open.

Google "2007 wrx factory service manual", download it, go to the section on DTC Diagnosis, and follow the steps for P0032 to determine if you have a bad sensor, or faulty wiring.
shagfagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 10:35 AM   #3
shagfagon
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
Aspen White

Oh wait...now that I read this again, you have a catless exhaust and no tune?

Get this car tuned asap. Its running way lean because of your catless downpipe. You would also be throwing P0420 though.

This car needs some sorting before you drive it.

As for the rear purge solenoid, put your car into test mode and check to see if you hear the solenoid clicking. If it isnt...replace. Googling "nasioc P0458 07 wrx" will lead you to plenty of threads. Do that for all the associated DTC codes.
Old 11-26-2019, 10:42 AM   #4
KS07WRXTR
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2007 WRX TR
37J

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagfagon View Post
14.7 at WOT is insanely lean, not rich.

Stop going WOT or else you will pop that motor in no time.

You need to diagnose your front o2 sensor and actually fix the problem. You may have installed a bad o2 out of the box. Also more likely that there is a break in the heater circuit somewhere.

P0032 means the resistance in the o2 heater circuit is higher than normal, which means either the resistor has gone bad or the circuit is just open.

Google "2007 wrx factory service manual", download it, go to the section on DTC Diagnosis, and follow the steps for P0032 to determine if you have a bad sensor, or faulty wiring.
It always reads 14.7 on idle and while on the gas i really havent driven it because of it, it never moves from 14.7....
Old 11-26-2019, 10:44 AM   #5
KS07WRXTR
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2007 WRX TR
37J

Quote:
Oh wait...now that I read this again, you have a catless exhaust and no tune?

Get this car tuned asap. Its running way lean because of your catless downpipe. You would also be throwing P0420 though.

This car needs some sorting before you drive it.

As for the rear purge solenoid, put your car into test mode and check to see if you hear the solenoid clicking. If it isnt...replace. Googling "nasioc P0458 07 wrx" will lead you to plenty of threads. Do that for all the associated DTC codes.
Sweet sounds like ill get to diagnosing after work and a little on thanksgiving since ive got a day off finally, thank you for giving me a place to start
Old 11-26-2019, 10:46 AM   #6
shagfagon
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
Aspen White

Quote:
It always reads 14.7 on idle and while on the gas i really havent driven it because of it, it never moves from 14.7....
Sounds to me that it isn't getting a good signal from the front o2, as that is where that number is comming from, and it is just defaulting to 14.7.
Old 11-26-2019, 11:59 AM   #7
KS07WRXTR
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2007 WRX TR
37J

Quote:
Sounds to me that it isn't getting a good signal from the front o2, as that is where that number is comming from, and it is just defaulting to 14.7.
also i didnt know if somehow the secondary air injection pump played any part on that at all either
Old 11-26-2019, 01:35 PM   #8
Dave D.
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 130990
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
06 Red Ltd.Wagon
Dom 1.5xtr JJ tuned

Quote:
Does it read 14.7 while coasting? If so, you have a broken gauge or something else out of whack in your sensing circuitry.
Dave D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 05:44 PM   #9
KS07WRXTR
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2007 WRX TR
37J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave D. View Post
Does it read 14.7 while coasting? If so, you have a broken gauge or something else out of whack in your sensing circuitry.
Thats just what my Cobb says its reading at, it never fluctuates off of 14.7
Old 11-27-2019, 02:11 PM   #10
shagfagon
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
Aspen White

Quote:
Thats just what my Cobb says its reading at, it never fluctuates off of 14.7
Right...the cobb AP is literally reading the signal from your front o2 sensor. Thats where the number comes from. If its constantly reading 14.7/ under all conditions, then there is something wrong with the o2 circuit, as it is giving an incorrect ouput.
Old 11-27-2019, 06:02 PM   #11
KS07WRXTR
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2007 WRX TR
37J

Quote:
Right...the cobb AP is literally reading the signal from your front o2 sensor. Thats where the number comes from. If its constantly reading 14.7/ under all conditions, then there is something wrong with the o2 circuit, as it is giving an incorrect ouput.
right, are you thinking there might be a break in the wire or something else?
Old 12-02-2019, 10:11 AM   #12
StarkWRX
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 473969
Vehicle:
2006 WRX
World Rally Blue

Quote:
right, are you thinking there might be a break in the wire or something else?
What they said ^^^

Your AP reads the AFR from the front O2 sensor. If you plugged in a new sensor with no change then it seems like a wiring/connection problem. I, too, have a Hawkeye and figuring out all these details are a PITA but once you put in the sweat and time itís very rewarding.

Easiest check is the O2 sensor connector. The pins inside can rust, or maybe theyíre simply dirty. Spray the inside of the connector with electronic cleaner and use a q tip. Some dielectric grease might also help.

As mentioned above, the AP defaults to 14.7. If you let off the gas IN GEAR and engine brake, the AFR should go all the way to 20-22. But Iím pretty sure your O2 sensor has an open circuit somewhere.

If you have an open circuit (broken wire) you can try to find the fault or just replace that entire harness.

Last, the secondary air is problematic in these models. You have to determine if your valve solenoids are stuck OPEN or CLOSED. If they are stuck closed then youíre in luck and just pull the relays. If they are open you either need to get them unstuck and closed or you need to remove them and put block off plates.

If you drive with them open you are pushing exhaust into the air pump and into the engine bay.
StarkWRX is offline   Reply With Quote