Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday December 13, 2019
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.5L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2019, 01:12 PM   #1
vlad11591
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 295970
Join Date: Sep 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Hamilton, NJ
Vehicle:
2019 STI
CWP

Default 2019 STI problem with 4th gear

2019 STI with about 5k on the odo....

Weird 4th gear issue.. It grinds maybe 1/20 times.... It happens in varying RPM's but ONLY from 5th to 4th gear. I know it's not my method in shifting since it only happens in 4th, and I know I'm pressing the clutch ALL the way down etc.... This NEVER happened in my prior WRX, and it has happened in both warm/cold climates. The car is usually warmed up when it happens. Since it started to happen, I try to be more cautious with downshifts from 5-4, but t still happens.

Never raced, dragged, etc.... Idk if I can go to the dealer, since they won't be able to replicate the issue since it happens so rarely, but I don't want it to be detrimental long term.

Any advice on what to do here?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
vlad11591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 12-03-2019, 03:22 PM   #2
raisingAnarchy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 408438
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: OH, USA
Vehicle:
2016 WRX STi
CBS

Default

Do you have the short shifter option?

If it's not consistent enough for the dealer to look at, then either 1) don't worry about it since probably half of this forum experiences the same thing (including myself) or 2) get an oil analysis on the trans fluid to check for wear.

If there's wear, then you might consider another fluid based on your UOA recommendations. If there's no wear, consider swapping for a different short shifter and changing out bushings. I'm about to go that route because my UOAs are perfect on the transmission, but the shift quality is really poor, which suggests that the port-installed short shifter may not have been done right.
raisingAnarchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 04:35 PM   #3
vlad11591
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 295970
Join Date: Sep 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Hamilton, NJ
Vehicle:
2019 STI
CWP

Default

yea its the short shifter, and it was dealer installed not port. Don't ask me why it wasn't installed at the port lol.... Should I have a shop look at the install?

With such low mileage, I can't see the trans fluid being the issue. I could try switching to different bushings, as it's not a difficult install. I also do have the stock shifter so I could always switch back to that to see if the issue persists.
vlad11591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 05:14 PM   #4
WRXnick16
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 447898
Join Date: May 2016
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: W Sac, CA
Vehicle:
2016 WRX (traded)
2019 STI CWP

Default

Kostamojen had an issue with his 3rd-4th gear synchro failing on his Type RA:
https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho....php?t=2904043
WRXnick16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 05:41 PM   #5
vlad11591
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 295970
Join Date: Sep 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Hamilton, NJ
Vehicle:
2019 STI
CWP

Default

just scheduled apt with dealer..... Better to have it diagnosed and have some sort of report on it, then have nothing if something serious does go wrong in 10-15 miles.
vlad11591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 06:01 PM   #6
08redWRX
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 186068
Join Date: Aug 2008
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: NC
Vehicle:
2019 STi
DGM

Default

I would definitely take it to the dealer so it is at least documented even if they cant replicate. My 19 has 5200 with stock short shifter but no issues with grinding. Does it have trouble going into gear? Or just grinds once in gear?
08redWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 06:39 PM   #7
Jedi03
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 491095
Join Date: Sep 2018
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: New Mexico
Vehicle:
2009 STi Blue
Blue

Default

I know different body but have GR where sometimes when quickshifting into 3rd wont go...usually high rpm and load...wont even go in with rev matching...I assume combination of oil and wear on the synchro but dunno...yours should not be oil or wear related imo
Jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 09:25 PM   #8
Scorpius
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 370806
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Northern Indiana
Vehicle:
2019 WRX/STI DGM
2016 WRX/STI ISM

Default

I have terrible issues getting 2nd gear to engage when the transmission is cold. It's worse on my 2019 STI, but is also present on my 2016 as well.
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 01:13 AM   #9
F1EA
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 448622
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Vancouver, BC
Vehicle:
2019 STI SportTech
CWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
I have terrible issues getting 2nd gear to engage when the transmission is cold. It's worse on my 2019 STI, but is also present on my 2016 as well.
Yep, my 2019 won't go into 2nd gear at all when stopped and if I haven't driven it for a couple of days with temps below freezing. On the bright side.... the car has gained like 10 whp with this cold weather.

I have no problem with 4th gear (or any other gear)... so for sure, good decision to take it to the dealer.

Last edited by F1EA; 12-04-2019 at 06:12 PM.
F1EA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 11:28 AM   #10
vlad11591
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 295970
Join Date: Sep 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Hamilton, NJ
Vehicle:
2019 STI
CWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08redWRX View Post
I would definitely take it to the dealer so it is at least documented even if they cant replicate. My 19 has 5200 with stock short shifter but no issues with grinding. Does it have trouble going into gear? Or just grinds once in gear?
has no trouble getting into gear, just grinds only from 5th to 4th.

The second gear thing is apparent with my 19 also. I just have to remember to shift from 1-2 extremely slow when the car is warming up and it usually goes in pretty smoothly.
vlad11591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 12:12 PM   #11
WRXnick16
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 447898
Join Date: May 2016
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: W Sac, CA
Vehicle:
2016 WRX (traded)
2019 STI CWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlad11591 View Post
The second gear thing is apparent with my 19 also. I just have to remember to shift from 1-2 extremely slow when the car is warming up and it usually goes in pretty smoothly.
Same for me. I tend to pause in neutral when shifting to 2nd in the mornings (1-N-2).

I've noticed another gear grinds on occasion.. but I just always assumed that I was being lazy that shift and didn't push the clutch all the way in.. or that it was just because of the short shifter and I didn't perfectly align things. I honestly don't remember if it was 3rd or 4th.
WRXnick16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 12:19 PM   #12
vlad11591
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 295970
Join Date: Sep 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Hamilton, NJ
Vehicle:
2019 STI
CWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXnick16 View Post
Same for me. I tend to pause in neutral when shifting to 2nd in the mornings (1-N-2).

I've noticed another gear grinds on occasion.. but I just always assumed that I was being lazy that shift and didn't push the clutch all the way in.. or that it was just because of the short shifter and I didn't perfectly align things. I honestly don't remember if it was 3rd or 4th.
It seems like that it's apparent in STI's. I read through some threads on this forum that people are having similar issues with 4th. This never happened in my WRX so I can't attribute the failure to my method of shifting.

Maybe it's because of the STS? when I bring it to the dealer, i'll ask them to look over the install, since it was dealer installed at another dealer.
vlad11591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 12:29 PM   #13
WRXnick16
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 447898
Join Date: May 2016
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: W Sac, CA
Vehicle:
2016 WRX (traded)
2019 STI CWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlad11591 View Post
It seems like that it's apparent in STI's. I read through some threads on this forum that people are having similar issues with 4th. This never happened in my WRX so I can't attribute the failure to my method of shifting.

Maybe it's because of the STS? when I bring it to the dealer, i'll ask them to look over the install, since it was dealer installed at another dealer.
My WRX's 2nd gear was a little crunchy when cold, but you're correct in that I very rarely had any gear grinds.
WRXnick16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 04:33 PM   #14
rtv900
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 428511
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: philadelphia
Vehicle:
2016 STI

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi03 View Post
I know different body but have GR where sometimes when quickshifting into 3rd wont go...usually high rpm and load...wont even go in with rev matching..
^well the good news is rev matching has nothing to do with a gear engaging smoothly, that would be double clutching, so no need to worry about the rev matching not helping

Vladd, I have the EXACT same f-ing problem with 4th ONLY!!! Makes you insane right, because there is no rhyme or reason to it, totally random, and ALWAYS 4th.
Grinds like a beeatch.
Mine happens on the 3-4 shift too, but also 5-4. As a matter of fact, mine is typically at very light load when I'm driving in a residential area super casual.

One thing I can point out. I've done 4 trans changes so far. I put in Valvoline syn 75/90 at 10k, 30k, 60k, and 95k.
Buuuuut, I had a dealer do my timing belt last month at 95k so I figured while they had it up in the air just do a trans change.
I'm assuming they used Subaru fluid since it was a dealer.

I can't believe I'm saying this but the trans felt noticeably better all around after they did the trans change with Subaru fluid. The shift into 2nd which always sucked feels better and the 4th gear issue has not happened yet (2k miles so far) and the 4th shift just feels better in general.

Obviously you still have factory oil in there, but seriously man, change it. If you want a dealer to document it then you should just bite the bullet and pay them to do a trans change and document the issue all at once.

edit: FYI, the 4th gear issue has not gotten worse in the 96,000 miles I've put on it, it was like that from day one
rtv900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 04:46 PM   #15
vlad11591
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 295970
Join Date: Sep 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Hamilton, NJ
Vehicle:
2019 STI
CWP

Default

yea mines usually not at high RPM either...

I guess it wouldn't hurt for them to do a trans fluid flush. How come something like this, with evidently multiple owners experiencing the same issue, be brought to Subaru's attention. Possibly a recall? I mean just on this thread alone 5 people have the same issue, and it seems like its all 15+.

It's somewhat frustrating because it's a brand new car, and I know it's nothing I can actually fix myself, or the dealer, since it's so in frequent they'll say nothings wrong.
vlad11591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 04:54 PM   #16
rtv900
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 428511
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: philadelphia
Vehicle:
2016 STI

Default

I guess kind of hard to determine this type of thing is 'recall' territory.

I mean, a grind from a manual occasionally is pretty subjective and could be described as a real world fact of manuals. Sure some are better but at this price point it is somewhat unrealistic to expect a perfectly shifting manual under all conditions.
rtv900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 05:32 PM   #17
Richieb0y28
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 509022
Join Date: Dec 2019
Default

If it's under warranty, def take to the dealer.

As for 2nd gear sticking, I always clutch in and go into 2nd and then back to neutral before I start driving. I've been doing it for 10 years in another manual and it eases the shifting process, cold or warm weather.

Regarding options installed from dealer or factory, if the window sticker has the options listed, I'm guessing that means it was installed from factory? or could it also mean it was shipped to the dealer and the dealer had to install them? How would I know?
Richieb0y28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 06:28 PM   #18
F1EA
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 448622
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Vancouver, BC
Vehicle:
2019 STI SportTech
CWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlad11591 View Post
yea mines usually not at high RPM either...

I guess it wouldn't hurt for them to do a trans fluid flush. How come something like this, with evidently multiple owners experiencing the same issue, be brought to Subaru's attention. Possibly a recall? I mean just on this thread alone 5 people have the same issue, and it seems like its all 15+.

It's somewhat frustrating because it's a brand new car, and I know it's nothing I can actually fix myself, or the dealer, since it's so in frequent they'll say nothings wrong.
The way I feel the car behaves... it needs everything at proper temps for the car to feel smooth. Even the brakes squeal a bit when driving it mildly.

1st to 2nd needs a bit of tenderness and dealing with the synchro when driving slowly and the car is cold. But I find when I'm being aggressive... everything behaves as it should. I have the short throw and a weighted shift knob, so the shift knob helps a bit.

Like you say... taking it to the dealer, if they find it's fine most of the time they will likely say it is normal. But still... take it in at least so that it's documented. (obviously, also make sure it gets documented)
F1EA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 10:39 AM   #19
vlad11591
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 295970
Join Date: Sep 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Hamilton, NJ
Vehicle:
2019 STI
CWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtv900 View Post
I guess kind of hard to determine this type of thing is 'recall' territory.

I mean, a grind from a manual occasionally is pretty subjective and could be described as a real world fact of manuals. Sure some are better but at this price point it is somewhat unrealistic to expect a perfectly shifting manual under all conditions.
It's odd because the STI transmission is advertised as "bulletproof" yet the WRX never had this issue. I put 30k on it and I never grinded a gear not once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richieb0y28 View Post
If it's under warranty, def take to the dealer.

As for 2nd gear sticking, I always clutch in and go into 2nd and then back to neutral before I start driving. I've been doing it for 10 years in another manual and it eases the shifting process, cold or warm weather.

Regarding options installed from dealer or factory, if the window sticker has the options listed, I'm guessing that means it was installed from factory? or could it also mean it was shipped to the dealer and the dealer had to install them? How would I know?
From what I understand there are certain things that are dealer installed or port. Not sure if it shows on the sticker, but STS is usually port installed. I had mine dealer installed because I added it a couple days before delivery, and the dealer said the port "forgot" to install it.
vlad11591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 02:55 PM   #20
rtv900
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 428511
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: philadelphia
Vehicle:
2016 STI

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlad11591 View Post
It's odd because the STI transmission is advertised as "bulletproof" yet the WRX never had this issue. I put 30k on it and I never grinded a gear not once.
right, but a dogtooth grinding on engagement has nothing to do with the physical strength of the trans, it's just an engagement issue.

If you drove a big enough truck it would 100% up to the operator to prevent grinding in every gear, and the trans could handle several thousand foot pounds of torque all day long.
rtv900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 09:44 PM   #21
F1EA
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 448622
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Vancouver, BC
Vehicle:
2019 STI SportTech
CWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlad11591 View Post
It's odd because the STI transmission is advertised as "bulletproof" yet the WRX never had this issue. I put 30k on it and I never grinded a gear not once.
Strong and sturdy it is. Smooth and forgiving it is not.
F1EA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 10:22 AM   #22
vlad11591
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 295970
Join Date: Sep 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Hamilton, NJ
Vehicle:
2019 STI
CWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtv900 View Post
right, but a dogtooth grinding on engagement has nothing to do with the physical strength of the trans, it's just an engagement issue.

If you drove a big enough truck it would 100% up to the operator to prevent grinding in every gear, and the trans could handle several thousand foot pounds of torque all day long.
let me just BLAME SUBARU lol... I get what you're saying though.

It happens so in frequently that it doesn't annoy me. I'm more concerned that it could be indicative of a long term issue, which the dealership might not cover because dealership.
vlad11591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 12:44 PM   #23
awfulwaffle
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 409332
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: SE MI/SE WI
Vehicle:
2013 WRX
PBP

Default

Does it have any temperature dependence?

Not necessarily the same issue, but I had a 4-5 grind just like that on my 13 WRX. 5 speed versus 6 speed, I know. Happened to me only when the trans was warm, like after a long drive. Couldn't replicate it the first time I went to the dealer. Second time, I drove around for an hour to get it hot, until it started consistently doing it during quick shifts. Took it in, service manager replicated the issue, diagnosed as failing shift fork, and replaced under warranty.
awfulwaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 01:11 PM   #24
rtv900
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 428511
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: philadelphia
Vehicle:
2016 STI

Default

^my 4th gear issue is always when totally hot after long driving
rtv900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 05:56 PM   #25
vlad11591
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 295970
Join Date: Sep 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Hamilton, NJ
Vehicle:
2019 STI
CWP

Default

mine did happen when the car was warmed up, 15-20 mins after start up. It never happened initially in the first couple of minutes after start up.

But it has happened in higher rpm's as well as lower.
vlad11591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2019 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.