Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday October 21, 2017
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Texas Impreza Club
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Chapters > Texas Impreza Club Forum -- TXIC

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2002, 01:23 PM   #1
wrx_in_efx
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 10889
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: 3ast Sid3 Kr3w Prez.
Vehicle:
Yup, 265whp 255tq
Pink oWz JoO!!

Default So I want to build a race car, have a few ?'ns

I dont know which would be more fun to build and race, a rally car? A scca street beast or what? or even what make and model type of car, and which ones out there are fairly inexpensive to start out. Now dont say a Subaru, we all know those are tough to find and quite expensive to build. I really want a rally car, but a car that could compete with flemings car would be cool too. just need some opinions.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
wrx_in_efx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 06-13-2002, 01:29 PM   #2
Orion
Got the F out
Moderator
 
Member#: 4797
Join Date: Mar 2001
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: central ohio
Vehicle:
06 06WRX,01RS,95L
Aegean Blue

Default

Seeing as Rallying isn't exactly flourishing here (it's doing well, but not growing quickly) I'd suggest a Solo II beast. With all the places to run (TMS, TWS, Houston, Austin, etc.) you'll get so much more seat time than a rally car.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 01:51 PM   #3
[27]
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 9731
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Parkin Harder than Jewpac can.
Vehicle:
2k2 wrx '13 Audi S4
Midnight Gray

Default

i say build a monster scooby! 15inch lift 32 inch wheels etc
[27] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 01:55 PM   #4
Orion
Got the F out
Moderator
 
Member#: 4797
Join Date: Mar 2001
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: central ohio
Vehicle:
06 06WRX,01RS,95L
Aegean Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by [27]
i say build a monster scooby! 15inch lift 32 inch wheels etc
put a WRX body on & you're set!

http://www.subarubrat.com

Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 02:06 PM   #5
Texas25RS
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 3148
Join Date: Dec 2000
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: DFW, TX
Vehicle:
2012 Mazdaspeed 3
Crystal White Pearl Mica

Default

Just a few suggestions... for an autocross type set up or a road racer...

Mazda Miata (great track car if you can fit in it!)
93-96 Prelude VTEC (lightest Prelude model w/ VTEC)
93-00 Civic HB with a motor swap

I would suggest the Miata.... great platform.... easy to get parts....
Texas25RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 02:09 PM   #6
wrx_in_efx
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 10889
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: 3ast Sid3 Kr3w Prez.
Vehicle:
Yup, 265whp 255tq
Pink oWz JoO!!

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Texas25RS
Just a few suggestions... for an autocross type set up or a road racer...

Mazda Miata (great track car if you can fit in it!)
93-96 Prelude VTEC (lightest Prelude model w/ VTEC)
93-00 Civic HB with a motor swap

I would suggest the Miata.... great platform.... easy to get parts....
ya I was thinking either a civic hatch or CRX or e even an old golf gti or rabbit, a miata is tough to find as cheap as a civic or the like.
wrx_in_efx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 02:13 PM   #7
GoodFinder
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 8943
Join Date: Aug 2001
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: San Marcos, TX
Vehicle:
2006 MINI + Corvette
Both Blue

Default

The Miata would be a great way to go. In particular, consider the "Spec Miata" series. Then you can actually do real wheel to wheel races! Bang for the buck, can't be beat, at least that's what everybody I talk to says. I'm trying it out first hand in the SCCA Gran Prix at TMS in July. They are a different kind of vehicle to drive, though. Very much more oriented towards the handling, running as good a line as possible, working with suspension tweaks, carrying as much momentum through the corners as possible. Said to be relatively inexpensive to run on the track (the light weight aspect especially reduces the "wear and tear" on so many other things in and on the car). All of this, and because the "Spec Miata" series only allows a relatively small amount of modifications (read, more affordable, not an endless outpouring of money), the races are more attuned to driver skills. As for fitting in the car, just get the seat low enough (which you want in those cars, anyway) and even somebody like me (just over 6'2" and around 190 pounds) fits in them. Plus, you really can find Miatas that fit the "Spec Miata" profile at a very reasonable price. Remember, if it's really for racing, then a lot of things about the car that might otherwise disqualify it from consideration (cosmetic things, both inside and out, or other unnecessary operational items like air conditioning and such) actually work to your favor (lower purchase price). Food for thought!

GoodFinder
GoodFinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 02:17 PM   #8
wrx_in_efx
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 10889
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: 3ast Sid3 Kr3w Prez.
Vehicle:
Yup, 265whp 255tq
Pink oWz JoO!!

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by GoodFinder
The Miata would be a great way to go. In particular, consider the "Spec Miata" series. Then you can actually do real wheel to wheel races! Bang for the buck, can't be beat, at least that's what everybody I talk to says. I'm trying it out first hand in the SCCA Gran Prix at TMS in July. They are a different kind of vehicle to drive, though. Very much more oriented towards the handling, running as good a line as possible, working with suspension tweaks, carrying as much momentum through the corners as possible. Said to be relatively inexpensive to run on the track (the light weight aspect especially reduces the "wear and tear" on so many other things in and on the car). All of this, and because the "Spec Miata" series only allows a relatively small amount of modifications (read, more affordable, not an endless outpouring of money), the races are more attuned to driver skills. As for fitting in the car, just get the seat low enough (which you want in those cars, anyway) and even somebody like me (just over 6'2" and around 190 pounds) fits in them. Plus, you really can find Miatas that fit the "Spec Miata" profile at a very reasonable price. Remember, if it's really for racing, then a lot of things about the car that might otherwise disqualify it from consideration (cosmetic things, both inside and out, or other unnecessary operational items like air conditioning and such) actually work to your favor (lower purchase price). Food for thought!

GoodFinder
yes, I guess that is true, I will look into that more, I have a little money that I have set aside for this kind of thing, I have just been waiting for the right time. I am not looking into this as a source of income, but is there money to be had in the spec miata class??
wrx_in_efx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 02:19 PM   #9
wrx_in_efx
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 10889
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: 3ast Sid3 Kr3w Prez.
Vehicle:
Yup, 265whp 255tq
Pink oWz JoO!!

Default

also is there a website that has maybe used or race ready spec miata's or just more info on the miata'a period?
wrx_in_efx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 02:27 PM   #10
Orion
Got the F out
Moderator
 
Member#: 4797
Join Date: Mar 2001
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: central ohio
Vehicle:
06 06WRX,01RS,95L
Aegean Blue

Default

http://www.specmiata.com/

http://www.flyinmiata.com/

I've heard this is a great source for Miata parts & info.
Search for 'miata club' on google, I'm sure a bunch will show up!
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 02:34 PM   #11
foxdeman
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 8913
Join Date: Aug 2001
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Urbana, IL
Vehicle:
2015 Forester XT
Dark Greyish

Default

dont do the rally car, for a brand new car it would be VERRRRRRYYYYY expensive. pick one that has better suport in the self service rally suport stations(junkyard).

i think some of the popular clubrally cars are the old datsin's and VW's.

Listen to Steve, he knows what he is talking about

you also need a licence and a LOT of seat time, autocross is a good place to start with learning how to control the car, and the evolution schools are great.

just my brain-dump take it for what its worth
foxdeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 03:03 PM   #12
Aprilia Jon
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 13394
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Austin TX Y'all
Vehicle:
2001 GC8 Coupe
Silver

Default

I have a friend who is building a car for spec RX7 right now. He is in to it for way more than he would have been if he did spec miata, and he got the RX7 for $200. The spec miata class is really interesting and an excellent way to get into racing. If you went for a non spec class it would either cost you a whole lot of money, or you would have a disadvantage. Spec racing is also fun because it is all about tweaking and driver skill. That and the rules try to keep it as inexpensive as possible.

Rally would be cool but it is WAY harder on the vehicle. If money is a limiting factor than you would probably want to steer clear of rally for a while.

When I can afford it I will definitely go for spec miata or something similar. Then with experience move up to formula ford (open wheel) or one of the other spec open wheel classes.

I will be at the July race to spectate for sure.

Jon
Aprilia Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 03:06 PM   #13
dazz1
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 10363
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: DFW, TX
Vehicle:
5.9 Turbo Cummins

Default

Myself, I'm in the process of puchasing a '89 CRX beater for $1500 and dropping in a complete B18a/b LS motor for another $1000.

Cheap thrills...
dazz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 03:19 PM   #14
wrx_in_efx
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 10889
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: 3ast Sid3 Kr3w Prez.
Vehicle:
Yup, 265whp 255tq
Pink oWz JoO!!

Default

I was also thinking of a Mini Cooper, that would own!
wrx_in_efx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 03:28 PM   #15
Orion
Got the F out
Moderator
 
Member#: 4797
Join Date: Mar 2001
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: central ohio
Vehicle:
06 06WRX,01RS,95L
Aegean Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by wrx_in_efx
I was also thinking of a Mini Cooper, that would own!
original or the 'New' ( ) one?

I love the original, relatively inexpensive with many years of development.

I just think the new one is a rip-off on BMW's part. I'm sure it's an awesome car, but I don't like the hype.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 04:54 PM   #16
dazz1
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 10363
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: DFW, TX
Vehicle:
5.9 Turbo Cummins

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Gzagns


can i come and play with your toy?
I'll let you know when its done.

On another note, here is what a little CRX can do.

CRXTrack.mpg
dazz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 05:03 PM   #17
wrx_in_efx
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 10889
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: 3ast Sid3 Kr3w Prez.
Vehicle:
Yup, 265whp 255tq
Pink oWz JoO!!

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by orionf


original or the 'New' ( ) one?

I love the original, relatively inexpensive with many years of development.

I just think the new one is a rip-off on BMW's part. I'm sure it's an awesome car, but I don't like the hype.
I was reffering to the old one
wrx_in_efx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 05:06 PM   #18
Orion
Got the F out
Moderator
 
Member#: 4797
Join Date: Mar 2001
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: central ohio
Vehicle:
06 06WRX,01RS,95L
Aegean Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by wrx_in_efx
I was reffering to the old one
killer.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
so I want to build a rally/rally-x car... 97 Pimpreza Newbies & FAQs 6 07-28-2009 08:31 AM
Want to build a race car? MantoothWes North West Impreza Club Forum -- NWIC 4 02-27-2009 01:10 PM
So what IF I wanted to build a race car... Zebe Motorsports 62 12-30-2007 09:15 PM
so i want to build a PC 20Sti05 Mid Atlantic Impreza Club -- MAIC 26 11-25-2006 09:20 PM
I want to build a rally car... but I don't know where to start. majglow Motorsports 25 04-24-2002 12:55 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2017 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2017, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.