Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday July 23, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Member's Car Gallery

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2019, 05:15 PM   #426
QwaktastiK
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 219100
Join Date: Aug 2009
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Vehicle:
2014 STI hatchback
Satin White Pearl

Default

Mod update

What’s being installed: COBB AccessPORT Black Faceplate













Now that I have the COBB AccessPORT in its final resting place courtesy of the Dialed Mounts Defroster Vent Mount, I decided to swap out the faceplate on my AP for the black one I purchased a few months back. I must say I do like it. I was on the fence whether or not I did. When I received the black faceplate, I was a little bummed it has so much flake in the paint. I was hoping for more of a matte black. But in the car, it recedes perfectly into the A-Pillar. The grey faceplate matched the interior trim very nicely, so no complaints there. But now that the AP sits next to the A-Pillar, I wanted to have it blend in a bit more to it’s surroundings. And since the mount it sits on is also black, I think this does exactly that.

Lemme know what you guys think.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by QwaktastiK; 07-16-2019 at 05:32 PM.
QwaktastiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 07-16-2019, 05:33 PM   #427
gfxguy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 316583
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Seattle area
Vehicle:
2014 STI Hatch
ISM

Default



I was wondering when you gonna switch out the AP faceplate! Looks great man.
gfxguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 03:12 PM   #428
gfxguy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 316583
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Seattle area
Vehicle:
2014 STI Hatch
ISM

Default

What are you running for turn signal bulbs? I have switchback halos similar to yours but still have incandescent turn signals, and it really annoys me how the turn signals fade in/out (quickly, but still) while the halos are instant on/off. Was thinking of picking these up at the same time as the BilletWorkz dials and Valenti tap/turn module: https://www.smyperformance.com/diode...4-wrx-sti.html
gfxguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 05:53 PM   #429
BRGT
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 406470
Join Date: Nov 2014
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: North Idaho
Vehicle:
2013 STI Hatchback
Ice Silver Metallic

Default

Looks good. I just switched my grey faceplate for the black as well. Freshens up the AP unit IMO, makes it look a little bit more expensive, lol.
BRGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 09:25 AM   #430
cknowlen
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 189077
Join Date: Sep 2008
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Connecticut
Vehicle:
2011 STI limited
WRB

Default

Loving the progress man.Any plans on swapping out the rear view mirror to the newer 'bezelless' style mirror? I swapped it out on my 11 STi and it was a subtle yet appealing change.
cknowlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 09:45 AM   #431
QwaktastiK
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 219100
Join Date: Aug 2009
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Vehicle:
2014 STI hatchback
Satin White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfxguy View Post


I was wondering when you gonna switch out the AP faceplate! Looks great man.
Lmao, that meme. Yeah, thereís not much left to change out for black. Iím happy with the contrast of the OEM gunmetal finish and the anodized black of everything. Thanks man!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfxguy View Post
What are you running for turn signal bulbs? I have switchback halos similar to yours but still have incandescent turn signals, and it really annoys me how the turn signals fade in/out (quickly, but still) while the halos are instant on/off. Was thinking of picking these up at the same time as the BilletWorkz dials and Valenti tap/turn module: https://www.smyperformance.com/diode...4-wrx-sti.html
Iím running OEM turn signal bulbs. I have the headlights modified so the turn signal bulbs arenít illuminated for daytime running lights. Instead, they only come on during turn signal operation. My only gripe is the turn signal bulbs relay is like .05sec faster than the relay of the halos. So they become out of sync if Iím at a traffic light with my turn signal on for an extended period of time. Not the biggest deal, but something I would eventually like to address.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRGT View Post
Looks good. I just switched my grey faceplate for the black as well. Freshens up the AP unit IMO, makes it look a little bit more expensive, lol.
I totally agree. Somehow it makes it look a little more ďfinishedĒ with the black faceplate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cknowlen View Post
Loving the progress man.Any plans on swapping out the rear view mirror to the newer 'bezelless' style mirror? I swapped it out on my 11 STi and it was a subtle yet appealing change.
Bezelless rear view mirror sounds nice, but I use my garage door opener everyday and I enjoy the compass feature and auto dim function of the OEM Homelink mirror.
QwaktastiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 11:52 AM   #432
cknowlen
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 189077
Join Date: Sep 2008
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Connecticut
Vehicle:
2011 STI limited
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by QwaktastiK View Post

Bezelless rear view mirror sounds nice, but I use my garage door opener everyday and I enjoy the compass feature and auto dim function of the OEM Homelink mirror.
Ah yes, but did you know that the 2017+ OEM STI rear view is 'bezelless and has the option for homelink/compass/autodim ?
I just have the autodim/compass model because I bought it by mistake thinking it had homelink. But they are out there on ebay (not exactly cheap however).
Might be a good junkyard find potentially.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-17-Suba...cAAOSwZQRYWq8k
cknowlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 09:13 PM   #433
QwaktastiK
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 219100
Join Date: Aug 2009
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Vehicle:
2014 STI hatchback
Satin White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cknowlen View Post
Ah yes, but did you know that the 2017+ OEM STI rear view is 'bezelless and has the option for homelink/compass/autodim ?
I just have the autodim/compass model because I bought it by mistake thinking it had homelink. But they are out there on ebay (not exactly cheap however).
Might be a good junkyard find potentially.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-17-Suba...cAAOSwZQRYWq8k
Ah thatís awesome. I didnít know they updated the rearview mirrors this much. Does it wire right up just like the 08-14 Homelink Mirror?
QwaktastiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 11:13 AM   #434
QwaktastiK
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 219100
Join Date: Aug 2009
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Vehicle:
2014 STI hatchback
Satin White Pearl

Default

Did a quick search and stumbled upon a thread discussing the differences between the two mirrors...
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc00ter View Post
(2017 Mirror)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaugeof12 View Post
It is more "Frameless" than the older versions. See below.

Older version
QwaktastiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:09 AM   #435
cknowlen
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 189077
Join Date: Sep 2008
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Connecticut
Vehicle:
2011 STI limited
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by QwaktastiK View Post
Ah thatís awesome. I didnít know they updated the rearview mirrors this much. Does it wire right up just like the 08-14 Homelink Mirror?
Yep, wires right up to the factory wiring with the plug above the map lights. My 11 STi had the base mirror in it originally without the compass or homelink and I was able to use the in-place wiring for the 'fancy mirror' and it works without any issue.
cknowlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:35 PM   #436
BRGT
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 406470
Join Date: Nov 2014
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: North Idaho
Vehicle:
2013 STI Hatchback
Ice Silver Metallic

Default

SMY has the replacement emblems for the hatch now!

They have them in the star logo in white, red, and blue. They are releasing black and pink star options tomorrow. Hopefully they release "i" badge options in the future.

https://www.smyperformance.com/front...hatchback.html

Last edited by BRGT; Yesterday at 08:17 PM. Reason: updated info
BRGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:20 PM   #437
QwaktastiK
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 219100
Join Date: Aug 2009
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Vehicle:
2014 STI hatchback
Satin White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cknowlen View Post
Yep, wires right up to the factory wiring with the plug above the map lights. My 11 STi had the base mirror in it originally without the compass or homelink and I was able to use the in-place wiring for the 'fancy mirror' and it works without any issue.
That’s good news. Sometimes I hate the forums...oh look, something else I need. Lol. Im glad you mentioned the bezelless mirror. When I first got my narrowbody WRX new in 2009, I had the Homelink mirror installed. And in 2016, when I picked up my new STI, I was so excited to get a new Homelink mirror installed. To my dismay, it was the exact same Homelink mirror as the 2009 version. I was expecting the little area where the compass digital readout displays to be filled in with mirror. Shocked to see it hadn’t received any updates in 7 years.

I ended up going to the dealership today to dispute the windshield washer reservoir “repair” and showed the service rep what the service tech had done to repair it. (See previous post for details). He was embarrassed and said that when I come to the dealership, my car is handled differently than the rest. They usually stick the top tech on it and understand that I’m not looking for quick fixes, that I’m willing to pay to do it right.

With that being said, we put an order in for a new windshield washer reservoir and I placed orders for some new interior trim panels to replace some that have some minor scratches as well as the bezelless mirror. I even got the parts guy to price match the lowest price I found the bezelless mirror for ($225):
https://www.subarusource.com/oem-par...301?origin=pla
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRGT View Post
SMY has the replacement emblems for the hatch now!

They only have them in the star logo, not the "i", and in white, red, and blue. Hopefully they'll release more options soon, but it's a good start.

https://www.smyperformance.com/front...hatchback.html
I know, I’m so stoked! I might not wait for black on black and try the black with white stars.
QwaktastiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2019 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2017, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.