Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 09-18-2017, 06:09 PM   #1
Stilegactygt2.5
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 454010
Default Help identify engine harness - Harness burned to a crisp!

Good evening everyone! I have a wee bit of a problem, I could use a lot of help with. I've looked through a couple of older forum posts to help identify and solve the issue/part needed, but came up blank. Now what happened? During a test run after a TMIC change/install, a piece of paper (I know very careless on my part) Was left in area near the turbo. While running the machine the paper dislodged and fell onto a heated turbo causing the engine bay to catch fire. I checked subaru's parts site blast diagrams but have come up blank. I'm turning to the gear heads on this forum for some much needed guidance and advice. If I posted in the wrong section please scold or teleport this post to the proper section. Any help is much appreciated! Lesson learned!

The areas highlighted in red are the trouble spots. The harness that goes into the firewall is the main item I cannot identify. One of the brake lines as well. I know I need a new pitch mount as well as a new transmission oil dipstick and what appears to be a sensor. I can provide more/detailed photos if needed.

Stilegactygt2.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2017, 09:28 PM   #2
CosmoTheCat
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 3409
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
98 My FMIC
Is bigger than yours.

omg you're so boned.

That's your bulkhead harness, transmission harness, some of your engine harness maybe, and maybe an O2 sensor.

Bulkhead harness typically goes from the airbag crash sensors by the headlights, around over your fender liners, then behind your dash. So much stuff has to come out.

I would also recommend replacing the clutch slave hose and doing a fluid flush of brakes and clutch.

http://parts.subaru.com/a/Subaru_200...11-810-02.html

Last edited by CosmoTheCat; 09-22-2017 at 09:39 PM.
CosmoTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 12:03 AM   #3
Stilegactygt2.5
Scooby Newbie

Cosmo I am screwed! Do I sell!? I appreciate you taking the time out and replying, thank you so much!
Old 09-24-2017, 11:43 AM   #4
DrD
Scooby Guru

Member#: 22412
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Vehicle:
2024 Legacy Sport

you are in a difficult position because the wiring harness isn't available in small chunks - not sure what year your car is, but if it were an 07, the bulkhead harness (p/n 81403FE125) has an MSRP of $1435.21. The front wiring harness (p/n 81202FE045) has an MSRP of $757.03 - the wiring harnesses run all over the place, and you need to do a fair amount of disassembly to get them in/out.

ebay is going to be your friend on this one - here's a front one for an 08 STi
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-SUBARU-...JZUkLU&vxp=mtr

and a main one from what is probably the same car
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-SUBARU-...9ZUkKk&vxp=mtr

odds are you'll be able to find one for your vehicle, if you are patient. If you are lucky, and have a good you-pull-it sort of site around, you might be able to find the harnesses - or use one of the many used parts search engines out there to find something.

you are going to want to replace the heater hoses, brackets for the brake lines, etc. - anything that was destroyed or badly damaged in the fire. Any sensors that had the plugs melted will need replaced, etc - I would start with cleaning it all up, then you can sort out what things are melted/damaged and what things are not.
DrD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 12:00 AM   #5
CosmoTheCat
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
98 My FMIC
Is bigger than yours.

You have comprehensive coverage? File a claim for engine fire.

And make sure your oil drain hose for the turbo isn't toast too.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:38 PM   #6
Charlie-III
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 30669
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoTheCat View Post
omg you're so boned.

That's your bulkhead harness, transmission harness, some of your engine harness maybe, and maybe an O2 sensor.

Bulkhead harness typically goes from the airbag crash sensors by the headlights, around over your fender liners, then behind your dash. So much stuff has to come out.

I would also recommend replacing the clutch slave hose and doing a fluid flush of brakes and clutch.

http://parts.subaru.com/a/Subaru_200...11-810-02.html
OK Cosmo, don't sugar coat it, how bad is it?

I agree though.

Quote:
You have comprehensive coverage? File a claim for engine fire.

And make sure your oil drain hose for the turbo isn't toast too.
Excellent idea, but I also see this as a potential "total" through insurance.

As an aside but similar, my son and I had "an event" doing engine work on his sorta 05 STi. Shorted the starter main to the brake master cylinder. Tripped a ton of codes, sheesh.
Found it fried the right rear harness for ABS and other things at the bottom of the rear passengers door. Managed to separate wires, insulate some, splice wire into others, crap, what a nightmare.....
Goal is a different harness, but it goes to center console (airbag), RR trunk (IC spray plus others) and to the front passengers side. Ton of wires, remove lots of stuff.
Fixes means no codes, high current wires are covered, loaned him a fire extinguisher for a few weeks.....just in case......

Edit....OP, what year and model car? It REALLY helps us give advice, but even your screen name does not tell us enough. I mean, I "could" pick on Cosmo.......LOL......
Please fill in that info......
Charlie-III is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 02:38 AM   #7
CosmoTheCat
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
98 My FMIC
Is bigger than yours.

Normally my bedside is a little softer.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:28 AM   #8
Charlie-III
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 30669
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

Quote:
Normally my bedside is a little softer.
Well, in this case, no good way to say it.......
Charlie-III is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 03:30 PM   #9
Stilegactygt2.5
Scooby Newbie

Replying to a couple month old thread. So sorry its taken me long to get back to forums, as usual life takes priority. Greetings everyone and thank you for taking the time out to share the info you have earlier in post! The model is a wrx sti 2007 swp 50k miles. I see this isn't a job for a novice but its something I feel the need to take on and tackle myself (no matter the time it takes) I will create a journal to update my progress as I go along. Again thank you all for the information!!