Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday June 29, 2022
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Electrical & Lighting

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 05-05-2012, 11:37 PM   #1
Sheayo
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 298453
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2011 Impreza Sti

Default 2011 Sti LED DRL Idea & Wiring Help

Inspired by this post on iwsti http://www.iwsti.com/forums/gr-exter...mber-fire.html

I decided to think of some led drl's for my 2011 sti sedan
I hate the idea of mounting an led bar on your lower grill area just as much as everyone else
But the idea of cleanly mounting them in a discreet location where they fit properly really got me thinking
As you all know they changed the front bumper on the 2011's
So i was taking a look at mine
And i noticed there is a nice spot on the outer edge next to the fog light
But... it is shaped like an L

After some thinking i remembered that the Mercedes E class cars come with L shaped LED fog lights
And of course there are some cheap ones on ebay that i could mess around with
So i took measurements and sure enough both the slot and the LED bar are around 7 inches
So I ordered a set and will update this as the installation goes on

BUT!!!!
I need help as far as what type of wiring I would need to Hook them up
If someone has some knowledge or a link that can direct me to help on this topic please do share

And please dont flame me
Sheayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2012, 11:59 AM   #2
Cougar4
Scooby Guru

Member#: 53443
Vehicle:
2001 LL Bean Outback
Winestone

If you are going to use the existing lights in parallel with the new lights then you need to consider the total current load the lights will be using on each leg of the circuit and the feed point to those legs. You will most likely need to increase the wire gauge to the lights. You could do this by adding another wire of the same gauge for the new lights. You will also need to use a relay to switch the power to the new lights from the fog light switch. If the power for the new lights isn't real high compared to the other lights you might be able to use the same relay and not overload the contacts. I would assume the relay is rated for at least 15 amps. If the current is too much then I think you could replace the original one with one that has a slightly higher rating. You then need to install a larger power supply wire between the relay and the fuse panel along with adding a larger fuse.

If you aren't going to use the original lights then you should be able to just splice in the new lights to the original wiring. If possible, I would use the original connectors to tie in the new lights.
Cougar4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:28 PM   #3
Sheayo
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2011 Impreza Sti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar4 View Post
If you are going to use the existing lights in parallel with the new lights then you need to consider the total current load the lights will be using on each leg of the circuit and the feed point to those legs. You will most likely need to increase the wire gauge to the lights. You could do this by adding another wire of the same gauge for the new lights. You will also need to use a relay to switch the power to the new lights from the fog light switch. If the power for the new lights isn't real high compared to the other lights you might be able to use the same relay and not overload the contacts. I would assume the relay is rated for at least 15 amps. If the current is too much then I think you could replace the original one with one that has a slightly higher rating. You then need to install a larger power supply wire between the relay and the fuse panel along with adding a larger fuse.

If you aren't going to use the original lights then you should be able to just splice in the new lights to the original wiring. If possible, I would use the original connectors to tie in the new lights.
First off, thank you for your detailed reply, I Appreciate it
second,
I was planning on running them completely separate from the fog lights
My idea was to run some wiring, a relay, and a switch
I am just so lost when it comes to electrical

Now here is what it says on the ebay page:
Installation is easy, screws and nuts included. Black wire connect to the negative side of battery, red wire goes to the ignition fuse box, so that light will turn on when the key is on ignition on mode. (Wires are 36 inches long)

Is it really that simple??
Old 05-07-2012, 03:05 AM   #4
Cougar4
Scooby Guru

Member#: 53443
Vehicle:
2001 LL Bean Outback
Winestone

All you need is a power connection and ground to make the lights turn on. It sounds like these lights have no switch provided so they turn on with the ignition switch. That may not be the ideal setup for you. It will take time to dress the wires inside the hood.
Cougar4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:35 PM   #5
bassman12350
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 230795
Vehicle:
2011 Impreza WRX 5dr
WR Blue Pearl

Sheayo, your stock DRLs are actually the high beam head lights running at a reduced voltage, so you'd want to tie into the DRL circuit to run your LEDs in parallel with the DRLs. So, that being said, you need to determine the operating voltage of your new LED lights. If they are designed to be operated in a range of voltage from, say, 8 - 14 volts, then you are OK. If not, and they are 12 - 16 volt lamps, then you'll need to tie into the DRL circuit between the relay pin out and the DRL resistor, (provided the current draw of the LEDs is minimal - - less than 1 amp or so). If the current draw of the LEDs is too high, install a relay in line with the DRL wire and then tie your LEDs in to a spare, fused accessory circuit (something like that for the cigarette lighter).

If you'd prefer and don't mind having the LEDs on all the time the engine is running, you can simply tie them into an accessory (ignition "on") circuit.
bassman12350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:55 PM   #6
burkart
*** Banned ***

Member#: 305000
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2005 Legacy GT 5MT
Bright Silver Metallic

well, this thread got complicated!

i think I can help the OP: yes, it is easy. just splice in the two wires from the LED into your highbeams wires. OR disable DRLs and wire LEDs into lowbeams - so you have the option to go full dark (handy if in the boonies or police-infested areas)

im crazy about LEDs. ive placed them under my headlamp glass even... (major PITA) but i've since had to rip them all out. why? read on..

that being said, here's a few thoughts:
- your regular DRLs will stick out like a sore yellow thumb once you install LEDs - so you may want to think abolut disabling them
- so far, no aftermarket white LEDs are bright enough during the day to give you that audi A7 look. i dont know how OEM leds could be so much brighter. i think they run on 30v special currents

- any aftermarket LED makes your car an eye-magnet -- for good and bad. while my LEDs were on, I got 4 tickets in a month
- they started flickering in spots, then some were burning out in sets of 3. eventually it looked so tacky i had to call it quits on LEDs (for now!)
***IF*** you do add the LED e-class knockoff things, do it right: under glass

my old setup (before it burned out in 5 weeks):

20120328_074749 by tommyburkart, on Flickr

20120328_074808 by tommyburkart, on Flickr
burkart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 02:02 PM   #7
burkart
*** Banned ***

Vehicle:
2005 Legacy GT 5MT
Bright Silver Metallic

my first attempt:

burned out within 3wks

DSC_2165 by tommyburkart, on Flickr
Old 05-13-2012, 02:03 PM   #8
burkart
*** Banned ***

Vehicle:
2005 Legacy GT 5MT
Bright Silver Metallic

current setup: single 9-LED spotlight in corner of lamp. looks kinda like the Evoque, i like to think

20120507_134109 by tommyburkart, on Flickr

20120509_070820 by tommyburkart, on Flickr
Old 05-14-2012, 02:26 PM   #9
dcorn
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 107573
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2012 WRX hatch
Ice Silver

I had the same idea in that same spot, but figured just a straight bar would be better than an L shape. My idea was the LED bar on the Volvo SUV's that sits beside the grille. It doesn't appear to be seperate LED's, but a full bar of light basically.
dcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:30 PM   #10
Sheayo
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2011 Impreza Sti

Thanks to all who responded your ideas are awesome!
Ive been soooper busy with work latley and havent been around to post an update
so here it is
UPDATE: I recieved the E Class "Fog Lights" in the mail
Just as I thought, they were Pieces OS, And I had to strip them down to the circuit board just to get them to fit flush
Here is a photo of them (They were also NOT bright at all)

Untitled by CAILLST, on Flickr

Now Is the good part ^___^
My dad works for Warner Brothers Studios and is always bringing home cool stuff
So when I told him about my idea he told me he had something that would work perfectly
What he brought home were studio grade LED strips, first off they looked like the cheap ones that people put over there headlight lenses to get that audi look
BUT, these were brighter then I could believe, and they fit perfect
So I cut them the length i need and got to work
Here is the (almost) finished product

Now I would like to make them not such an eye sore when they are shut off
So I plan on making a little housing for them out of plexiglass
But as of now I think they look great
Thank you all! And if you have any questions about them feel free to PM me!

Last edited by Sheayo; 05-17-2012 at 07:51 PM.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:01 PM   #11
burkart
*** Banned ***

Vehicle:
2005 Legacy GT 5MT
Bright Silver Metallic

those look sweet! great job
Old 05-17-2012, 08:03 PM   #12
burkart
*** Banned ***

Vehicle:
2005 Legacy GT 5MT
Bright Silver Metallic

how did you end up wiring it?
Old 05-17-2012, 08:36 PM   #13
Sheayo
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2011 Impreza Sti

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkart
how did you end up wiring it?
The wiring is not complete yet
I'm debating weather or not to tap into a wire that powers on when I start the car
Or run a switch to the inside of the car
Right now it's just connected to the battery
Old 05-18-2012, 09:09 PM   #14
burkart
*** Banned ***

Vehicle:
2005 Legacy GT 5MT
Bright Silver Metallic

gotcha. i dont have any tips on those options, but switches are tougher to wire and maintain clean appearance / no wires running by your drivers-side a-pillar =]

for trivia knowledge, those good LEDs your pah' got are " superflux " LEDs, meaning they are little (tiny) clear square boxes.

if you're worried about waterproofing etc, you could look into acrylic plastics. they are being used on the latest cadillac ATS sedan as a diffuser of the LED light. i think this is the same stuff volvo was using for their pignoses too.

basically heat-shrinks i guess

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23681
Old 05-19-2012, 05:52 AM   #15
Sheayo
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2011 Impreza Sti

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkart View Post
gotcha. i dont have any tips on those options, but switches are tougher to wire and maintain clean appearance / no wires running by your drivers-side a-pillar =]

for trivia knowledge, those good LEDs your pah' got are " superflux " LEDs, meaning they are little (tiny) clear square boxes.

if you're worried about waterproofing etc, you could look into acrylic plastics. they are being used on the latest cadillac ATS sedan as a diffuser of the LED light. i think this is the same stuff volvo was using for their pignoses too.

basically heat-shrinks i guess

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23681
Thats exactly what they are, they outshine And cast more ground light then my actual fogs lol
The pictures dont do much justice to how they look in person
But Im sure you have seen them before

As of now Im working on a plexiglass lens that will sit flush in the fog light housing
I will post pictures when i make some progress