Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday August 7, 2020
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Member's Car Gallery

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2019, 03:24 AM   #151
jvh22a
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 34368
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: pasadena, CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 181stLeader View Post
I'll be at Streets of willow on the 21st of sept!


damn; I signed up for the wrong day. im going on the 22 with on grid.


still waiting to drive my car to send torqued my logs. should be able to do it sunday or Monday. on the 4th map now. it feels laggy from about 5k to 6.5k. seems like it takes awhile to get to 6.5k. not sure if its the turbo or something else.

on side note; I got a bunch of parts in for the integra.

20190912_224832 by meme meme, on Flickr
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
jvh22a is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 09-24-2019, 02:48 AM   #152
jvh22a
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 34368
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: pasadena, CA
Default

made it out to streets of willow on sunday. it only lasted 1 lap! coming into the main straight I miss shifted and pull the shifter out of the socket. at the time I didn't realize it till I got to turn two trying to shift to second. limped off track and got the car up on ramps and realized I lost the clip at the bottom. so by 11:30am I had everything already packed and left. what a waste of a day and money!

it was held by ongrid and for beginners its great. last time I was at streets of willow had to be atleast 9 years. one thing I think they could improve on is letting begginers or people new to ongrid know that they do not call out run groups. you just line up at the specified time. I like that, but they didn't tell you that. I know its been a long while since my last track day but I remember workers would call out run groups a few minutes ahead.


ok I want to order some shifter parts to get the car back on the road for oct 5th autocross at fontana. but looks like im missing a part from the parts diagram; "0999S". where does this piece go?

looks like I need the "0315S". I cant believe that it came out so easily. or maybe im missing other parts. I do remember I had the clip installed and made sure I pulled on the shifter to see if It was tight.
2019-09-23_11-33-53 by meme meme, on Flickr
20190922_111757 by meme meme, on Flickr
20190922_062608 by meme meme, on Flickr
jvh22a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 09:36 AM   #153
Patrick Olsen
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 120
Join Date: Jul 1999
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Where the Navy sends me...
Vehicle:
1997 Legacy 2.5GT
1996 Impreza coupe

Default

That's a bummer! I popped my shifter out of the socket once on the highway (angry downshift after almost getting hit by a careless driver ). Took me a second to figure it out, too, as I'm drifting along with no drive. Had to cross 2 lanes to get over to the shoulder, then popped the shifter back into place. I've never looked at it up close, now I'm wondering if I, too, am missing something down there? I'll have to add that to the ever-growing automotive "to do" list.
Patrick Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 04:15 PM   #154
jvh22a
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 34368
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: pasadena, CA
Default

That list never ends.

I'm thinking that 0999s is a safety wire of sorts. Maybe that helps keep the plastic housing tight to keep the ball of the shifter in place. I didn't have that piece, only the clip at the bottom.

But its was way to easy to come out. I got some safety wire at harbor freight and ordered the clip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Olsen View Post
That's a bummer! I popped my shifter out of the socket once on the highway (angry downshift after almost getting hit by a careless driver ). Took me a second to figure it out, too, as I'm drifting along with no drive. Had to cross 2 lanes to get over to the shoulder, then popped the shifter back into place. I've never looked at it up close, now I'm wondering if I, too, am missing something down there? I'll have to add that to the ever-growing automotive "to do" list.
jvh22a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 11:26 PM   #155
181stLeader
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 184183
Join Date: Jul 2008
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: The OC
Vehicle:
1996 Impreza RSTi
V8 EJ207 Aerosim Carbon

Default

Yeah I went Sat with Speed Ventures. Wow that is really lame you only got one lap! I'll see if I can make it out for the Oct 5th autox in Fontana.

Oh and the 099s wire is just to hold the rubber boot to the shifter linkage it doesn't help retain the shifter in the socket. If I remember correctly the ball of the shifter just pops into the socket. There isn't any kind of retaining ring to keep it in there. Maybe the socket is worn?
181stLeader is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 02:07 AM   #156
jvh22a
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 34368
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: pasadena, CA
Default

that was what i was thinking or maybe my ebay shifter is out of spec. maybe the ball is smaller. i ordered a new plastic cup retaining thing, clip and o-rings. give this a try and last resort is get a brand name shifter.
still haven't gotten a confirmation of my order so hope it comes in time.


Quote:
Originally Posted by 181stLeader View Post
Yeah I went Sat with Speed Ventures. Wow that is really lame you only got one lap! I'll see if I can make it out for the Oct 5th autox in Fontana.

Oh and the 099s wire is just to hold the rubber boot to the shifter linkage it doesn't help retain the shifter in the socket. If I remember correctly the ball of the shifter just pops into the socket. There isn't any kind of retaining ring to keep it in there. Maybe the socket is worn?
jvh22a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 07:35 PM   #157
jvh22a
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 34368
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: pasadena, CA
Default

I got the parts and fixed the shifter. Works great now. I'm so paranoid now and shift softly. I couldnt go on the 5, but went on the 6th.
At the end of the day, car got really hot and the temp gauge was moving up to 3/4 make. I got out of line and parked it with the fans on. The coolant over flow was filled almost to the top portion. I've seen the happen before but not that much and temps never got this high.
Doing to web searching, some say to get a higher rated radiator cap and bleed it. I'll give this a try. After it cooled down I drove home with the heater on for a bit and it was fine.
I'm currently using oem sti radiator cap 138kpa and wrx 108kpa cap on coolant tank.

On track I could feel the rear kick out pretty easily. I have perrin front and rear swaybars on the middle hole( front and rear).
I think its mostly my driving style on tight track I like to brake hard. But even on a wide turn I can feel the back slide out and i would not be able to increase my speed.
Tire pressures are about 36-38ish hot.

Not sure what to adjust at this point. Next time I might try lower tires pressures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvh22a View Post
that was what i was thinking or maybe my ebay shifter is out of spec. maybe the ball is smaller. i ordered a new plastic cup retaining thing, clip and o-rings. give this a try and last resort is get a brand name shifter.
still haven't gotten a confirmation of my order so hope it comes in time.
jvh22a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 09:55 AM   #158
Patrick Olsen
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 120
Join Date: Jul 1999
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Where the Navy sends me...
Vehicle:
1997 Legacy 2.5GT
1996 Impreza coupe

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvh22a View Post
At the end of the day, car got really hot and the temp gauge was moving up to 3/4 make. I got out of line and parked it with the fans on. The coolant over flow was filled almost to the top portion. I've seen the happen before but not that much and temps never got this high.
Based on my experience, that sounds like leaky head gaskets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvh22a View Post
On track I could feel the rear kick out pretty easily. I have perrin front and rear swaybars on the middle hole (front and rear). I think its mostly my driving style on tight track I like to brake hard. But even on a wide turn I can feel the back slide out and i would not be able to increase my speed.

Not sure what to adjust at this point. Next time I might try lower tires pressures.
Adjust the sway bars - harder up front, softer in the rear. You could do one at a time or do both.

And how's your alignment? If you have any toe out in the rear, the rear will definitely be more willing to come around.
Patrick Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 03:58 PM   #159
wuuusaa
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 92894
Join Date: Aug 2005
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Lane splitting in Cali.
Vehicle:
2015 Wrx

Default

Have you looked up Turbo Joe Tuned, he's a certified tuner for Haltech's and his shops in Socal.
wuuusaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 01:18 AM   #160
jvh22a
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 34368
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: pasadena, CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Olsen View Post
Based on my experience, that sounds like leaky head gaskets.


Adjust the sway bars - harder up front, softer in the rear. You could do one at a time or do both.

And how's your alignment? If you have any toe out in the rear, the rear will definitely be more willing to come around.
god I hope not. but everything ive read on here says it is. coolant does suck back into the motor after when I cools down.

I did not machine the heads or block. only used the dingle berry hone. everything was in spec so I went the cheap route. used the headgasket that came in the gasket kit. if I have to redo it, ill spend more and get the arp studs and better headgasket.

I have 2deg camber up front and I think caster was about 6 or something( sti front control arm).
rear camber was 1.5deg camber; zero toe front and rear.



Quote:
Originally Posted by wuuusaa View Post
Have you looked up Turbo Joe Tuned, he's a certified tuner for Haltech's and his shops in Socal.

im currently in the middle of an etune with torque performance. but I will definitely give him a call if I need to rebuild this motor again.


finally got the integra motor out and had to downgrade a spare ej205 on an engine stand to a furniture dolly.

this engine is dirty! and lost of the bolts are either missing or hand tight! the alternator only had a small bolt holding it on the mount. the pivot bolt wasn't even installed.

tear down and cleaning will be next weekend. garage is a mess. coolant, atf, oil everywhere.
20191008_220513 by meme meme, on Flickr
2019-10-08_10-08-52 by meme meme, on Flickr

20191008_220549 by meme meme, on Flickr
spare motors; 95 gsr, 96 b18b, ej205 , old ej205 that was in the car originally. that motor ran great so im keeping it as a back up.
jvh22a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 04:08 PM   #161
jvh22a
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 34368
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: pasadena, CA
Default

really small update.

haven't done much to gc. im still in the middle of an etune from torqued performance. on the 12th map. runs great so far. down low is really laggy. when I installed the cams I couldn't get the BC cam gears in time so I would have to degree it maybe end of this summer. hope that will help.

went to pure track autox last Saturday. I really suck at driving! still trying to launch to get a better time. but it bogs down right off the line.


assembled the integra block. started to assemble the head but I installed the valve seals before valve spring seat. so all seals had to be removed. got new set and did the exact same thing again! was able to save the intake side, but need new exhaust seals which come next week.

if I can get the integra running by summer ill pull the gc engine to install and degree cam gears.






20200102_213832 by meme meme, on Flickr

im using arp head studs on this motor. wish I did on the ej205 budget build. I still have the $18 honda head bolts if I change my mind to go super cheap.

Nippon turbo cast pistons and scat rods. block and head was decked resurfaced.


20191222_232507 by meme meme, on Flickr

20200119_175711 by meme meme, on Flickr

20200102_213650 by meme meme, on Flickr
20200115_191535 by meme meme, on Flickr

20200120_195939 by meme meme, on Flickr
some of what came out of the motor

20191202_231054 by meme meme, on Flickr
printed these trays for the valves and springs also made a set for the ej motors
20191202_231105 by meme meme, on Flickr
jvh22a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 05:17 PM   #162
jvh22a
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 34368
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: pasadena, CA
Default

Screenshot_20200307-133257_Samsung Internet by meme meme, on Flickr

I lose time at the start. when I try to launch it bogs for a bit.

ordered BC cam gears. after this summer, ill pull the motor and install the gears. then figure out how to degree the cams.
jvh22a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 06:07 PM   #163
JDMJNKY
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 253498
Join Date: Jul 2010
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: sOuL-CaLiFoRnIa
Vehicle:
02 RSTI
MURK'D

Default

Love coming back here.

On the LS turbo build, are those your ring gaps at .075 or is that a .025 for an 81mm?
JDMJNKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 11:56 PM   #164
jvh22a
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 34368
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: pasadena, CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMJNKY View Post
Love coming back here.

On the LS turbo build, are those your ring gaps at .075 or is that a .025 for an 81mm?

cant find the paper with the specs but top ring I think was .018. second ring about .026 or .027

but I do remember that the second ring was loose.

I used .0055xbore. but all the rings were a bit big. so got them as close to each other with each bore.

one of the pictures shows .20mm-.35mm for standard spec.

after finishing assemble, I was thinking that I should have stayed with the upper end of oem specs, since im using aftermarket cast pistons and oem is also cast. the formula I got from wiseco or cp pistons that are for forge pistons. so not sure how it will be under boost.
jvh22a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 03:07 AM   #165
jvh22a
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 34368
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: pasadena, CA
Default


when I got the budget motor installed.
jvh22a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 02:28 PM   #166
JDMJNKY
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 253498
Join Date: Jul 2010
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: sOuL-CaLiFoRnIa
Vehicle:
02 RSTI
MURK'D

Default

Sounds healthyyyyyyyy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvh22a View Post
cant find the paper with the specs but top ring I think was .018. second ring about .026 or .027

but I do remember that the second ring was loose.

I used .0055xbore. but all the rings were a bit big. so got them as close to each other with each bore.

one of the pictures shows .20mm-.35mm for standard spec.

after finishing assemble, I was thinking that I should have stayed with the upper end of oem specs, since im using aftermarket cast pistons and oem is also cast. the formula I got from wiseco or cp pistons that are for forge pistons. so not sure how it will be under boost.
Nope you're good, I misunderstood the writing. Wiseco is on the safe side. I was using .006 as the multiplier.
JDMJNKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 05:21 PM   #167
jvh22a
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 34368
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: pasadena, CA
Default

Anyone have a write up on how to degree cams? I've seen one from a member here, he posted on youtube, but I didn't understand stand it.

I ordered bc cam gears. But not sure when it will be here. Might pull the motor to install the gears next month if we are still in lock down.

I've been doing an e-tune with torqued performance but he stopped replying 2 months ago. Usually pretty good with responses.

Last edited by jvh22a; 04-11-2020 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Spelling
jvh22a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 03:27 AM   #168
jvh22a
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 34368
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: pasadena, CA
Default

havent done much to my car. went to streets of willow on 4th of july with extreme speed. it wasnt to hot and not a lot of cars.

spun out a few times and the last i almost hit a light pole. i was about 1-2 feet away from it!


went to cal club in fontana today. it was hot!





finally got the integra started



seems like the rear end likes to swing out a bit easy. ill have to do some more research on this. i have perren front and rear swaybars( i think 24mm). front is set to the middle hole and rear is set to the first. coilovers in the rear are on the softer side and fronts are only 3 more clicks towards stiff. is it better to stay in the softer range or stiffer?

anyone else that tracks or autocross what do you sent your tire pressure to?

Last edited by jvh22a; 07-13-2020 at 02:18 AM.
jvh22a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 03:45 PM   #169
jvh22a
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 34368
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: pasadena, CA
Default

some minor damage just scratches but still sucks

[IMG]20200704_145528 by meme meme, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]20200704_145632 by meme meme, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]20200704_145637 by meme meme, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]20200705_150104 by meme meme, on Flickr[/IMG]

so much sand and rocks. this was taken after a few minutes of cleaning. went in to the dirt twice.

[IMG]20200705_150119 by meme meme, on Flickr[/IMG]

gt4 in the dirt!

[IMG]20200706_161457 by meme meme, on Flickr[/IMG]
jvh22a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 06:47 PM   #170
181stLeader
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 184183
Join Date: Jul 2008
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: The OC
Vehicle:
1996 Impreza RSTi
V8 EJ207 Aerosim Carbon

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvh22a View Post
seems like the rear end likes to swing out a bit easy. ill have to do some more research on this. i have perren front and rear swaybars( i think 24mm). front is set to the middle hole and rear is set to the first. coilovers in the rear are on the softer side and fronts are only 3 more clicks towards stiff. is it better to stay in the softer range or stiffer?

anyone else that tracks or autocross what do you sent your tire pressure to?
The rear is stepping out due to how you have your Anti-roll bars adjusted. On my car I run a 27mm front bar adjusted to 29mm(shortest hole stiffest setting) and a 24mm rear bar adjusted to 22(furthest hole, softest setting).

Regarding tire pressures it depends a bit on the tire, on my falkens I run like 26-28 psi cold and it gets up to about 35-38 hot depending on track temps. Best way is check your hot pressure you are seeing directly aft you come into the pits.

Are you going to go to any more events any time soon?(I almost came out that autox, but I decided to pass when I saw how hot it was going to be.)
181stLeader is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 02:05 AM   #171
jvh22a
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 34368
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: pasadena, CA
Default

Thanks for the info. At streets of willow I had pressure cold set to 30-32, I think. Then hot I dropped to 36.

So basically stiffer front and softer rear for swaybars?
Maybe put the stock rear swaybar back in and try that? No more autocross events that I could see.

I'm thinking streets of willow in August, extreme speed. Maybe Saturday.
jvh22a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 10:26 AM   #172
Patrick Olsen
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 120
Join Date: Jul 1999
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Where the Navy sends me...
Vehicle:
1997 Legacy 2.5GT
1996 Impreza coupe

Default

What are your alignment settings? Rear toe and camber will have a big impact on how "loose" the car is.
Patrick Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 12:09 PM   #173
181stLeader
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 184183
Join Date: Jul 2008
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: The OC
Vehicle:
1996 Impreza RSTi
V8 EJ207 Aerosim Carbon

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvh22a View Post
Thanks for the info. At streets of willow I had pressure cold set to 30-32, I think. Then hot I dropped to 36.

So basically stiffer front and softer rear for swaybars?
Maybe put the stock rear swaybar back in and try that? No more autocross events that I could see.

I'm thinking streets of willow in August, extreme speed. Maybe Saturday.
If you make the rear of the car too stiff with a large rear bar you can get snap oversteer. Meaning if the rear of the car gets light at all say like lifting off throttle the rear can suddenly lose grip and around you go. Suspension tuning has many different ways to get to the same goal. I prefer large bars and soft springs especially on rough surfaces. The large front bar helps keep at least one of the front tires happy when you turn. One happy tire and one pissed off tire is still better than two pissed off tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Olsen View Post
What are your alignment settings? Rear toe and camber will have a big impact on how "loose" the car is.
This is very true as well, a good alignment will go a long way. My settings for track is -3.2 camber up front -2.4 in the rear, and 0 toe all around. I have also did mods to get as much positive caster as I can, I was able to get +6.5 degrees. The more caster you have the less camber you lose when the the car turns and the suspension compresses since caster leans the wheel over as you turn.
181stLeader is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 05:29 PM   #174
jvh22a
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 34368
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: pasadena, CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 181stLeader View Post
If you make the rear of the car too stiff with a large rear bar you can get snap oversteer. Meaning if the rear of the car gets light at all say like lifting off throttle the rear can suddenly lose grip and around you go. Suspension tuning has many different ways to get to the same goal. I prefer large bars and soft springs especially on rough surfaces. The large front bar helps keep at least one of the front tires happy when you turn. One happy tire and one pissed off tire is still better than two pissed off tires.



This is very true as well, a good alignment will go a long way. My settings for track is -3.2 camber up front -2.4 in the rear, and 0 toe all around. I have also did mods to get as much positive caster as I can, I was able to get +6.5 degrees. The more caster you have the less camber you lose when the the car turns and the suspension compresses since caster leans the wheel over as you turn.

Last alignment was 0 toe(front and rear) front camber was -2, rear -1.5. Caster I think was in the +4 range. I have 04 sti front control arms already.

I after the alignment, I did lower it about .75in all around. So maybe it toes out a bit after that. Also the passenger side front camber plate came loose. So i eye balled it for now.
I have an alignment appointment next week and will use your settings. Trying to make it out to 15th extreme speed at streets of willow. But might not be able to. Working on installing an oil cooler now.

But I should make it to cal club autox, Fontana on the 22nd.
jvh22a is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2020 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.