Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday August 7, 2020
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Member's Car Gallery

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2020, 12:19 PM   #251
JeffrWRX
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 48589
Join Date: Nov 2003
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: San Marcos, CA
Vehicle:
2016 WRX 6mt CWP
@thejeffruhl 387hp/350tq

Default

Forgot to post...

Installed:
Verus Block Off Plate
HKS Fine Tune VBelt
MachV 5mm Spacers (front only)

Forgive the filthy car

IMG_9523 by Jeff Ruhl, on Flickr

IMG_9515 by Jeff Ruhl, on Flickr

E32F50B0-DC14-4722-8512-DF7709F7B4FB by Jeff Ruhl, on Flickr

441A5E4D-CEF0-484F-8985-9C03E3E82294 by Jeff Ruhl, on Flickr

IMG_9514 by Jeff Ruhl, on Flickr
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
JeffrWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 07-15-2020, 08:17 PM   #252
elanfam
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 491111
Join Date: Sep 2018
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Los Angeles, California
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Limited
WRB

Default

Hi Jeff! I have been researching suspension setups and come to the conclusion that my next step could possibly the trophy cup coilovers. I found your Reddit and this thread in search of information on these coilovers and have read your build. Btw, I love it and gives me inspiration for mine. Anyways, as of now I am unsure if I should pair my swift springs with the gtworx Bilsteins or save the money and get the coilovers. My budget is in the range of these two options and I want a set up I donít really have to think of once I install them. So with your knowledge, what would handle the best for the money? Is it worth the difference From the struts to coils or not really? It is there another coilovers option instead?
elanfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 01:50 PM   #253
JeffrWRX
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 48589
Join Date: Nov 2003
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: San Marcos, CA
Vehicle:
2016 WRX 6mt CWP
@thejeffruhl 387hp/350tq

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elanfam View Post
Hi Jeff! I have been researching suspension setups and come to the conclusion that my next step could possibly the trophy cup coilovers. I found your Reddit and this thread in search of information on these coilovers and have read your build. Btw, I love it and gives me inspiration for mine. Anyways, as of now I am unsure if I should pair my swift springs with the gtworx Bilsteins or save the money and get the coilovers. My budget is in the range of these two options and I want a set up I don’t really have to think of once I install them. So with your knowledge, what would handle the best for the money? Is it worth the difference From the struts to coils or not really? It is there another coilovers option instead?
Thanks...

Bilsteins + Swift is a great setup that you can install and forget about it. Trophy Cup, Tarmac 1's, RCE SS-1's etc are all really good entry level setups that are going to be a little more aggressive than the strut/spring setup and you get the ability to dial in the ride height a little more (while kind of setting it and forgetting it as well).

If height adjustment matters to you at all get the coilovers. If you just want a simple solid performing setup and ride height doesn't really matter I would go with the Bilsteins +Swifts.

On either setup I would definitely get lower LCAs for the rear and a good performance alignment running more camber in the front than the rear. Some sort of camber adjustment additions are good for the front too... camber bolts, camber plates, or Whiteline ComC Top hat (Last 2 also add Caster).

Hope that helps!
JeffrWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 02:22 PM   #254
De36
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 475437
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Connecticut
Vehicle:
2018 WRX
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffrWRX View Post
Bilsteins + Swift is a great setup that you can install and forget about it.

If you just want a simple solid performing setup and ride height doesn't really matter I would go with the Bilsteins +Swifts.

Some sort of camber adjustment additions are good for the front too...
+1 Great advice Jeff.

@elanfam it depends on your personal build goals. What will you be doing with the car? Daily? Showcar? Stance car? Trackdays? ect...

I track my WRX 2-3 times a month and I am running Bilsteins B8's, Eibach Prokit, Whitline Rollcenter/Bump kit, Perrin Rear 25mm Sway, & Front camber-bolts. This setup is more than enough for trackdays.

Coilovers require advance alignments & corner balancing to properly setup. Consider adding this to the cost. Best coilover advice (based on personal experience) is: don't cheap out.

Last edited by De36; 07-16-2020 at 02:28 PM.
De36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 05:50 PM   #255
elanfam
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 491111
Join Date: Sep 2018
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Los Angeles, California
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Limited
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffrWRX View Post
Thanks...

Bilsteins + Swift is a great setup that you can install and forget about it. Trophy Cup, Tarmac 1's, RCE SS-1's etc are all really good entry level setups that are going to be a little more aggressive than the strut/spring setup and you get the ability to dial in the ride height a little more (while kind of setting it and forgetting it as well).

If height adjustment matters to you at all get the coilovers. If you just want a simple solid performing setup and ride height doesn't really matter I would go with the Bilsteins +Swifts.

On either setup I would definitely get lower LCAs for the rear and a good performance alignment running more camber in the front than the rear. Some sort of camber adjustment additions are good for the front too... camber bolts, camber plates, or Whiteline ComC Top hat (Last 2 also add Caster).

Hope that helps!
Quote:
Originally Posted by De36 View Post
+1 Great advice Jeff.

@elanfam it depends on your personal build goals. What will you be doing with the car? Daily? Showcar? Stance car? Trackdays? ect...

I track my WRX 2-3 times a month and I am running Bilsteins B8's, Eibach Prokit, Whitline Rollcenter/Bump kit, Perrin Rear 25mm Sway, & Front camber-bolts. This setup is more than enough for trackdays.

Coilovers require advance alignments & corner balancing to properly setup. Consider adding this to the cost. Best coilover advice (based on personal experience) is: don't cheap out.

Thank you both! This information with talking to the guys at RCE/GTWorx has really helped in making my decision. I am now 99% sure I will be getting the GTWorx Bilsteins as I am just starting to modify my car and I simply want it to be a daily and a canyon monster. I want it to keep up with the bigger boys. Also, I am satisfied with the lowering of the swift springs. Track/AutoX are future endeavors but as of now are not any plans soon. So this good to hear your setup @De36 serves you very well. I was planning on a similar setup and pair the strut setup with a 24mm RSB. I'll look into the roll-center kit and front camber bolts.
elanfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 06:32 PM   #256
JeffrWRX
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 48589
Join Date: Nov 2003
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: San Marcos, CA
Vehicle:
2016 WRX 6mt CWP
@thejeffruhl 387hp/350tq

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elanfam View Post
Thank you both! This information with talking to the guys at RCE/GTWorx has really helped in making my decision. I am now 99% sure I will be getting the GTWorx Bilsteins as I am just starting to modify my car and I simply want it to be a daily and a canyon monster. I want it to keep up with the bigger boys. Also, I am satisfied with the lowering of the swift springs. Track/AutoX are future endeavors but as of now are not any plans soon. So this good to hear your setup @De36 serves you very well. I was planning on a similar setup and pair the strut setup with a 24mm RSB. I'll look into the roll-center kit and front camber bolts.
Nice! I forgot to mention the roll center kit and how good it feels
JeffrWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 06:40 PM   #257
murrdogg24
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 50586
Join Date: Dec 2003
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Colorado Springs
Vehicle:
2020 STI
Crystal White Pearl

Default

The roll center kit is a MUST if lowering your car anything more than .25"

Nice stance Jeff!
murrdogg24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 12:24 PM   #258
JeffrWRX
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 48589
Join Date: Nov 2003
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: San Marcos, CA
Vehicle:
2016 WRX 6mt CWP
@thejeffruhl 387hp/350tq

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrdogg24 View Post
The roll center kit is a MUST if lowering your car anything more than .25"

Nice stance Jeff!
Thanks!

Agreed.
JeffrWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 10:04 AM   #259
jediwill89
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 516318
Join Date: Jul 2020
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Nassau Bahamas
Vehicle:
2002 Legacy
Silver

Default

wicked exhaust!
jediwill89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 02:36 PM   #260
JeffrWRX
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 48589
Join Date: Nov 2003
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: San Marcos, CA
Vehicle:
2016 WRX 6mt CWP
@thejeffruhl 387hp/350tq

Default

2018 bumper conversion is here... packed and shipped extremely well. I am very impressed so far.

JeffrWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 01:03 AM   #261
JeffrWRX
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 48589
Join Date: Nov 2003
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: San Marcos, CA
Vehicle:
2016 WRX 6mt CWP
@thejeffruhl 387hp/350tq

Default

Sorted out a small issue with the Tarmac 3 coilovers. I couldnít get the ride height I wanted without having to run the perches lower than designed with the provided helpers. That meant that the main spring and helper were ďlooseĒ when the suspension was unloaded... ok to drive on for a bit but really not good or safe if I were to lift a wheel or unload the suspension the spring could come off the perch.

The solution I discovered was HyperCo helpers.... 4Ē tall and only ~.5Ē when fully compressed. Now I can run the perches anywhere on the shock body and not have loose springs. These Tarmac 3s are really for 08-14 STIs and so there maybe some travel and height differences between the chassis and RCE really wasnít sure why I was having the issue other than maybe i was trying to be a little lower than what they tested at on a VA and didnít realize they were at the threshold of lowering adjustment.

With all that said, problem solved, RCE gave me a thumbs up and Iím ready to get an alignment finally.

Hereís the different sets I tried.... RCE 20/60/80 (eibach I think), Swift 60-60-15, and Hyperco 4Ē 60mm.

(Iím still running Swift 60-60-15 helpers in the rear as they work great. Also, I was able to bring the perches up about 3/4Ē from the photo below due to the low stack height of the HyperCoís which was perfect while keeping same ride height as posted above.)



Last edited by JeffrWRX; 07-24-2020 at 01:09 AM.
JeffrWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 01:22 AM   #262
JDMJNKY
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 253498
Join Date: Jul 2010
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: sOuL-CaLiFoRnIa
Vehicle:
02 RSTI
MURK'D

Default

When I was reading and comparing facts on various suspension bits, I came across hyperco, it was the first I ever heard of them. Seems they are great choice.
JDMJNKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 12:23 PM   #263
JeffrWRX
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 48589
Join Date: Nov 2003
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: San Marcos, CA
Vehicle:
2016 WRX 6mt CWP
@thejeffruhl 387hp/350tq

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMJNKY View Post
When I was reading and comparing facts on various suspension bits, I came across hyperco, it was the first I ever heard of them. Seems they are great choice.
Yes sir... I was trying to solve this stupid issue and stumbled upon them as well. I have seen them used on some higher end coilovers before but after looking into it more it seems they are super popular and trusted- Offroad/Nascar/IndyCar/Formula1/LeMans/etc... In fact, I found out that Swift is really not used in those professional arenas.

Maybe one day ill try a set of HyperCo springs and not just the helpers. They also have Hydraulic perches that eliminate lateral load which helps protect the shock and according to them "Enhancement of mechanical grip at the tire"... Pretty cool stuff: http://info.3dmmotorsport.com/hyperco-springs


JeffrWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 07:44 PM   #264
JeffrWRX
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 48589
Join Date: Nov 2003
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: San Marcos, CA
Vehicle:
2016 WRX 6mt CWP
@thejeffruhl 387hp/350tq

Default

2018 front end installed

Need to pickup my 2018 STi lip from the dealer when it comes in and need to wash my car.

Paint seems to match really well. I was a little worried at first but my car is just so dirty itís throwing off my eye. Outside in the sun it looks great and matches very closely.

Iíll get more pics soon. It looks naked would a lip but overall so much better with fogs and signals deleted, STi fog covers, and FMIC visable now.







JeffrWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 08:58 PM   #265
CoronaWRX
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 431618
Join Date: Oct 2015
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Tucson, AZ
Vehicle:
2019 STI
CWP

Default

Glad to hear the color matched, it looks great!
CoronaWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 12:32 AM   #266
JDMJNKY
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 253498
Join Date: Jul 2010
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: sOuL-CaLiFoRnIa
Vehicle:
02 RSTI
MURK'D

Default

Not sure on how I feel about the big mouth update, but to each their own lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffrWRX View Post
Yes sir... I was trying to solve this stupid issue and stumbled upon them as well. I have seen them used on some higher end coilovers before but after looking into it more it seems they are super popular and trusted- Offroad/Nascar/IndyCar/Formula1/LeMans/etc... In fact, I found out that Swift is really not used in those professional arenas.

Maybe one day ill try a set of HyperCo springs and not just the helpers. They also have Hydraulic perches that eliminate lateral load which helps protect the shock and according to them "Enhancement of mechanical grip at the tire"... Pretty cool stuff: http://info.3dmmotorsport.com/hyperco-springs

https://youtu.be/RArjr-wrMiE

Now that I didn't see. Perches seem like a legit concept.
JDMJNKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 12:56 PM   #267
JeffrWRX
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 48589
Join Date: Nov 2003
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: San Marcos, CA
Vehicle:
2016 WRX 6mt CWP
@thejeffruhl 387hp/350tq

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMJNKY View Post
Not sure on how I feel about the big mouth update, but to each their own lol.
I feel ya... I HATED the front end back in 2018. But with a lip, lowered, and with the STi fog covers it looks MEAN to me now and has grown on me immensely I also think its looks more modern vs the older 2015-2017 style.

I was going to sell my 2016 front end but I am going to hang on to everything now just in case I ever want to switch back.

Jeff
JeffrWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 12:43 AM   #268
JeffrWRX
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 48589
Join Date: Nov 2003
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: San Marcos, CA
Vehicle:
2016 WRX 6mt CWP
@thejeffruhl 387hp/350tq

Default

2018 front lip came in and I got the Perrin Pitch Brace and Mount 😎



JeffrWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 09:58 AM   #269
milab21
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 157833
Join Date: Aug 2007
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NJ Jersey Shore
Vehicle:
2017 WRB STI
2007 WRB STI-sold

Default

I haven’t researched this question at all but what did you use to get the blinker/turn signal in the headlights or did you not do that? I’ve been contemplating swapping to a 18+ front end myself and was curious what people do when they swap front ends
milab21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 10:22 AM   #270
JeffrWRX
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 48589
Join Date: Nov 2003
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: San Marcos, CA
Vehicle:
2016 WRX 6mt CWP
@thejeffruhl 387hp/350tq

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by milab21 View Post
I havenít researched this question at all but what did you use to get the blinker/turn signal in the headlights or did you not do that? Iíve been contemplating swapping to a 18+ front end myself and was curious what people do when they swap front ends
I retrofitted my halogen headlights- morimoto mini d2s etc and diode dynamics clight switchback for signals
JeffrWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 10:29 AM   #271
milab21
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 157833
Join Date: Aug 2007
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NJ Jersey Shore
Vehicle:
2017 WRB STI
2007 WRB STI-sold

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffrWRX View Post
I retrofitted my halogen headlights- morimoto mini d2s etc and diode dynamics clight switchback for signals
Thanks for the info, much appreciated
milab21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 01:14 PM   #272
JeffrWRX
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 48589
Join Date: Nov 2003
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: San Marcos, CA
Vehicle:
2016 WRX 6mt CWP
@thejeffruhl 387hp/350tq

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by milab21 View Post
Thanks for the info, much appreciated
Yes sir... also just had to install an LED Flasher relay to fix the hyper blinking from removing the lower signal bulbs. But all fixed now.

Last edited by JeffrWRX; 08-01-2020 at 05:18 PM.
JeffrWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 01:50 PM   #273
JDMJNKY
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 253498
Join Date: Jul 2010
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: sOuL-CaLiFoRnIa
Vehicle:
02 RSTI
MURK'D

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffrWRX View Post
I feel ya... I HATED the front end back in 2018. But with a lip, lowered, and with the STi fog covers it looks MEAN to me now and has grown on me immensely I also think its looks more modern vs the older 2015-2017 style.

I was going to sell my 2016 front end but I am going to hang on to everything now just in case I ever want to switch back.

Jeff
I'm here for the ride man. I'll watch the vision unfold and cheer from my desktop.
JDMJNKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 03:34 PM   #274
YungBoba
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 450808
Join Date: Jul 2016
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Irvine
Vehicle:
2017 WRX Premium
WR Blue Pearl

Default

I love me some OEM lip. I miss when mine was that new. There are tons of brands that make lips in the exact same shape, but the little STi badge really makes it pop IMO. If I ever replace my lip completely, it will be with another OEM lip, just for that.

Let us know how you like the pitch stop brace/mount. I have the Group N trans mount and Whiteline crossmember bushings like you, but I've noticed some more sloppiness and jerking lately compared to when I first had it installed a year and a half ago. I'm thinking maybe some of the other OEM mounts are starting to deteriorate now, and am thinking of doing the pitch stop and motor mounts next.
YungBoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2020 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.