Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday December 5, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 10-23-2019, 10:39 PM   #1
the_wiz
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 346991
Vehicle:
'03 Forry
Silver

Default Need Guru-level advice; EJ22 swap, '97 OB, P0441 DTC

Hi Folks.

I recently dropped a good-running EJ22 into a '97 Outback, to replace the unhappy 2.5 DOHC. The EJ22 was from a '95 Impreza IIRC, it didn't have the EGR, and there were some other minor differences. But I was able to get everything sorted, and it runs great, thanks.

However.

I am getting an intermittent P0441 code; it just seems to appear at random times while driving. I'll clear it, and it will go away for 100 - 200 miles, then it reappears.

Anyway, I have been all over the vacuum plumbing and wiring, and the only difference I can see is where the canister purge control valve connects to the intake, I have it connected to a port on top of the manifold, just behind the throttle body (on the engine side), while another '97 EJ22 I looked at (this one in an Impreza) has that line connected to a port labeled "O" on top of the throttle body. Two other ports in the same general area control the EGR system; my throttle body has these, but doesn't have a nipple installed at the "O" location. "Hmmmm" sez I.

Another EJ22 throttle body that I found had the "O" spot populated with a hose nipple, but no nipples for the EGR. No help there.

I'm grasping at straws now, but does it seem likely that routing the canister purge straight to the intake manifold vs routing it to a throttle body port might throw a CEL?

And even more unlikely, does anyone have an idea of what vacuum signal the various throttle body ports are seeing? I couldn't find anything at all on-line.

I suppose I should start looking for another throttle body. Sigh :-P

Any thoughts appreciated! TIA! Steve
the_wiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2019, 01:45 PM   #2
the_wiz
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 346991
Vehicle:
'03 Forry
Silver

Default Closure

Hi All

Just in case a future search finds this post:

The problem turned out to be an intermittent Purge Control Valve. Other purge valves I have seen had the connector right on the valve solenoid; but this particular item had the connector on the end of a short pigtail.
I tested it at one point with 12V and it worked, but subsequent more detailed probing found that if one flexed the pigtail _just so_, it would fail. Replaced with one from the junk box, and cleared the CEL; it hasn't come back in a tank & a half (knock on wood). So now you know the Rest of the Story ;-)
the_wiz is offline   Reply With Quote