Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday December 8, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Built Motor Discussion

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 02-17-2008, 12:02 PM   #1
manxaru
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 123021
Default V39 vs v30, spool up vs HP & torque

I am doing a budget build with an EJ257 block, 2.0 JDM heads, FMIC, and a stand-alone ECU with a full custom tune. (FYI- the exhaust is basically straight out of the turbo, no muffler. Intake is just a K&N bolted directly onto the snail.) My goal is be be close to 300WHP, but I'm not trying to go over. Torque and quick spool up is more important than peak horsepower for this build .

I have an option to go with a used VF30 or VF39 turbo. I don't have the budget for a better turbo at this time. I can go with 550cc or 660cc injectors as needed. (I think 550cc is ok for 300whp or under correct?)

If everything else stayed the same, and only the turbo was changed, what's the difference between the VF30 and VF39? Does one spool faster and the other make a little more peak HP? Any other differences? Is there a better VF or other choice I could pick up used for low$$?

Thanks!
manxaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2008, 03:08 AM   #2
manxaru
Scooby Newbie

Need to get my turbo bought.

Can anyone comment on the spool up and flow of the VF30 to the VF39, please?

Thanks!
Old 02-19-2008, 11:26 AM   #3
Turbo_Mike
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 130276
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2004 STi
JBP

The spool and the power difference is very minimal between the two. The 30 will spool a couple hundred rpm later than the 39, but make up for it with an addidional 10-15 horse on the upper end of things. Basically really doesnt make much difference. They are very close in size and performance. A VF34 is the ball bearing version of the 30, and that would spool sooner AND make more power than a 39, but again the difference is still only a couple hundred rpm and 10 ish horsepower. So stop worrying about it, buy whichever one's cheaper, and save up for a real turbo when you want to make some real power.

So for what you're asking... VF34 seems like the best choice functionally, and VF39 by the wallet.
Turbo_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 06:55 PM   #4
manxaru
Scooby Newbie

Thanks Turbo Mike, that's exactly the info I was looking for.

Small differences = no problem for me, just wanted to make sure there wasn't something significant I was missing.

Thanks!
Old 02-20-2008, 11:12 AM   #5
Turbo_Mike
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 130276
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2004 STi
JBP

No problem, have fun with it!
Turbo_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote