Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday December 7, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Proven Power Bragging

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2019, 09:33 AM   #901
KillerBMotorsport
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 198281
Join Date: Dec 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Virginia
Vehicle:
2005 WRX/STi
WRB of course

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurred View Post
Dyno graph was pretty much identical and driving experience favoured the g30.
This is about what I would expect. Not really bigger gains (according to plots), but a better driving experience. Boost onset characteristics, low load boost response, and transient response are not seen on WOT dyno plots, but most definitely felt during the driving experience.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
KillerBMotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 10-29-2019, 01:16 PM   #902
vicious_fishes
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 158864
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Aussieland
Vehicle:
2003 SOHC destroker

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerBMotorsport View Post
This is about what I would expect. Not really bigger gains (according to plots), but a better driving experience. Boost onset characteristics, low load boost response, and transient response are not seen on WOT dyno plots, but most definitely felt during the driving experience.
Even the most rudimentary understanding of centrifugal force should tell you to expect this.

But the exducer is 5mm smaller, so I'd expect a tiny bit sooner spool than the 3071.

Anyways, g30-660 spoolinator when?

Last edited by vicious_fishes; 10-29-2019 at 01:57 PM.
vicious_fishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 03:56 AM   #903
NSFW
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 140444
Join Date: Feb 2007
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Near Seattle, WA
Vehicle:
05 Stage Free LGT
ATP 3076, 6MT, AVO FMIC

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicious_fishes View Post
Even the most rudimentary understanding of centrifugal force should tell you to expect this.
I think you mean angular momentum. But let's do some math on this...

A rudimentary understanding would say that it's probably more-or-less proportional to radius-squared for compressor wheels, so...
67mm diameter divided by two is a 33.5 radius, squared is 1,122
71mm diameter divided by two is a 35.5 radius, squared is 1,260
...or a difference of 12%.

But note that at a pressure ratio of 2.5, and 55 lb/min of flow, a GTX 3071 has to spin about 132k RPM, and the G30-660 has to spin just over 145k. Or a difference of about 10%.

So a net 2% in favor of the G30. Roughly. Very, very roughly.

By the way, while looking up the compressor maps for this little thought experiment, I noticed that there's now a G30-770. Similar diameters as a GTX3071, but the compressor map extends just past 70 lb/min. Looks very promising:

https://www.garrettmotion.com/racing...eries-g30-770/
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 05:36 AM   #904
vicious_fishes
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 158864
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Aussieland
Vehicle:
2003 SOHC destroker

Default

Yeah but the turbine can only take so much. The 3076 has always been choked by the turbine.

The 3071 is about as much flow as you can get before the turbine is overwhelmed, and due to the better flow, you get excellent power from a step smaller compressor wheel too.

You have to err on the side of bigger turbines with these things. Hence why the 3576 blew everyone's minds and is the animal of a turbo that it is.

Really hoping that other dude can get the 30-660 vs 3071 dyno plots.
vicious_fishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 08:34 AM   #905
KillerBMotorsport
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 198281
Join Date: Dec 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Virginia
Vehicle:
2005 WRX/STi
WRB of course

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicious_fishes View Post
Yeah but the turbine can only take so much. The 3076 has always been choked by the turbine.

The 3071 is about as much flow as you can get before the turbine is overwhelmed, and due to the better flow, you get excellent power from a step smaller compressor wheel too.

You have to err on the side of bigger turbines with these things. Hence why the 3576 blew everyone's minds and is the animal of a turbo that it is.

Really hoping that other dude can get the 30-660 vs 3071 dyno plots.
Can not agree more with all of the above!

I'm personally REALLY looking forward to the G30 and G35s. Patiently waiting
KillerBMotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 11:47 AM   #906
vicious_fishes
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 158864
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Aussieland
Vehicle:
2003 SOHC destroker

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerBMotorsport View Post
Can not agree more with all of the above!

I'm personally REALLY looking forward to the G30 and G35s. Patiently waiting
soooo g30-660 spoolinator when?
vicious_fishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 12:00 PM   #907
KillerBMotorsport
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 198281
Join Date: Dec 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Virginia
Vehicle:
2005 WRX/STi
WRB of course

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicious_fishes View Post
soooo g30-660 spoolinator when?
I'm told I'm on the short list when they are available. Seems the IWG turbine housings are the hold-up.

Then I just need to get a tuner here, which can sometimes be time consuming
KillerBMotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 06:28 PM   #908
vicious_fishes
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 158864
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Aussieland
Vehicle:
2003 SOHC destroker

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerBMotorsport View Post
I'm told I'm on the short list when they are available. Seems the IWG turbine housings are the hold-up.

Then I just need to get a tuner here, which can sometimes be time consuming
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Garrett-...S/254388800432
vicious_fishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 09:34 AM   #909
KillerBMotorsport
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 198281
Join Date: Dec 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Virginia
Vehicle:
2005 WRX/STi
WRB of course

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicious_fishes View Post
Need IWG
KillerBMotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 01:14 PM   #910
vicious_fishes
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 158864
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Aussieland
Vehicle:
2003 SOHC destroker

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerBMotorsport View Post
Need IWG
Er, your OP isn't? O_o
vicious_fishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 01:32 PM   #911
KillerBMotorsport
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 198281
Join Date: Dec 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Virginia
Vehicle:
2005 WRX/STi
WRB of course

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicious_fishes View Post
Er, your OP isn't? O_o
Oh Yes. We've done 3067 up to 3576 on that kit listed in the OP w/Tial and EWG.

The G-Series testing will be IWG. I thought I had posted pics in here, but I don't see any...





KillerBMotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 01:52 PM   #912
subaru_gc8
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 29292
Join Date: Nov 2002
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Orange County CA
Vehicle:
2004 WRX wagon
silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerBMotorsport View Post
Oh Yes. We've done 3067 up to 3576 on that kit listed in the OP w/Tial and EWG.

The G-Series testing will be IWG. I thought I had posted pics in here, but I don't see any...





so are you planning on making it a adapter like the original spoolinator or a actual up pipe with the vband?
subaru_gc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 02:23 PM   #913
KillerBMotorsport
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 198281
Join Date: Dec 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Virginia
Vehicle:
2005 WRX/STi
WRB of course

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru_gc8 View Post
so are you planning on making it a adapter like the original spoolinator or a actual up pipe with the vband?
You guys are wanting all my secrets

When we test the G-Series, we will also be testing a new turbo adapter (which is really the heart of the Spoolinator being able to mount where it does). All of the headaches with installing the previous kit should be eliminated. It will still be an adapter ON the up-pipe's turbo flange. I wouldn't want to change that as the versatility, with no performance downside, is one of the selling points.
KillerBMotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 04:41 PM   #914
vicious_fishes
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 158864
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Aussieland
Vehicle:
2003 SOHC destroker

Default

i'd still like to see the v band/ewg version in the meantime tbh
vicious_fishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 04:54 PM   #915
KillerBMotorsport
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 198281
Join Date: Dec 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Virginia
Vehicle:
2005 WRX/STi
WRB of course

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicious_fishes View Post
i'd still like to see the v band/ewg version in the meantime tbh
It's only going to perform better
KillerBMotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 04:56 PM   #916
camber
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 128746
Join Date: Oct 2006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerBMotorsport View Post
Need IWG
The next version of the spoolinator turbo kit will be IWG? Starting to really love my EWG
camber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 05:12 PM   #917
JarHarms
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 138994
Join Date: Jan 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: DeKalb-ish, IL
Vehicle:
06 WRX Ltd
SGM

Default

Some of us have much interest in the IWG versions and do not want to deal with EWG packaging and longevity issues. I look forward to how these end up performing. Otherwise my next upgrade path is only one direction (EFR) oh which I do not enjoy having to change headers and an unsupported uppipe
JarHarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 07:40 PM   #918
KillerBMotorsport
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 198281
Join Date: Dec 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Virginia
Vehicle:
2005 WRX/STi
WRB of course

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by camber View Post
The next version of the spoolinator turbo kit will be IWG? Starting to really love my EWG
It can be either.

If you want EWG you need to pick an EWG capable turbine housing or lock down the IWG if it comes with one. You also need to run an EWG up-pipe (any that you want or already have will work).

If you want to want to run IWG, then you need to make sure you select a Garrett V-Band IWG turbine housing.
KillerBMotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 12:31 PM   #919
camber
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 128746
Join Date: Oct 2006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerBMotorsport View Post
It can be either.

If you want EWG you need to pick an EWG capable turbine housing or lock down the IWG if it comes with one. You also need to run an EWG up-pipe (any that you want or already have will work).

If you want to want to run IWG, then you need to make sure you select a Garrett V-Band IWG turbine housing.

Sounds good!

Looks like no change on the intake side but maybe the downpipe?
camber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 08:42 PM   #920
subaru_gc8
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 29292
Join Date: Nov 2002
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Orange County CA
Vehicle:
2004 WRX wagon
silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by camber View Post
Sounds good!

Looks like no change on the intake side but maybe the downpipe?
probably a shorter down pipe, it looks alot longer than ewg version..
subaru_gc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 09:46 PM   #921
2slofouru
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 90539
Join Date: Jul 2005
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Lake Charles
Vehicle:
My BOV goes
COVFEFE!

Default

It's crazy how the trend for turbos goes back and forth from iwg to ewg. How do you know the iwg is going to suit your needs until you try the turbo? You can tweak or change the actuator, but can't change the iwg size much without extensive work.
2slofouru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 09:57 PM   #922
subaru_gc8
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 29292
Join Date: Nov 2002
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Orange County CA
Vehicle:
2004 WRX wagon
silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slofouru View Post
It's crazy how the trend for turbos goes back and forth from iwg to ewg. How do you know the iwg is going to suit your needs until you try the turbo? You can tweak or change the actuator, but can't change the iwg size much without extensive work.
the iwg will probably suit most people better, I know when I went to a ewg, i lost my low end, so.. I would like to go back to a stock uppipe and see who that does on spool.
subaru_gc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 10:09 PM   #923
2slofouru
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 90539
Join Date: Jul 2005
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Lake Charles
Vehicle:
My BOV goes
COVFEFE!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru_gc8 View Post
the iwg will probably suit most people better, I know when I went to a ewg, i lost my low end, so.. I would like to go back to a stock uppipe and see who that does on spool.
A properly sized ewg that uses proper springs and is properly tuned will not cause a low end loss. The iwg version will still need proper tuning.

Internal is more compact and less complex no doubt and will suit most people better for that reason though.
2slofouru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 10:47 PM   #924
KillerBMotorsport
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 198281
Join Date: Dec 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Virginia
Vehicle:
2005 WRX/STi
WRB of course

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by camber View Post
The next version of the spoolinator turbo kit will be IWG?
It will be either
KillerBMotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 02:43 PM   #925
vicious_fishes
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 158864
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Aussieland
Vehicle:
2003 SOHC destroker

Default

Can you get working on the EWG one in the meantime? And give us a dyno of the 30-660?

You know, for science.
vicious_fishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2019 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.