Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Miscellaneous > Off-Topic

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 04-28-2006, 06:57 PM   #1
DemonScooby
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 39554
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Vehicle:
1998 Impreza 2.5 RS
Black with Gold Rims

Have a Nice Day? this has nothing to do with Subies, but..

I read this article on AOL today- my comments are at the bottom, I don't mean to offend anyone by this, I just want to know what other people think about this.

'Star-Spangled Banner' in Spanish Draws Criticism
By LAURA WIDES-MUNOZ, AP

MIAMI (April 28) - British music producer Adam Kidron says that when he came up with the idea of a Spanish-language version of the U.S. national anthem, he saw it as an ode to the millions of immigrants seeking a better life.

But in the week since Kidron announced the song - which features artists such as Wyclef Jean, hip-hop star Pitbull and Puerto Rican singers Carlos Ponce and Olga Tanon - it has been the target of a fierce backlash.

Some Internet bloggers and others are infuriated by the thought of "The Star-Spangled Banner" sung in a language other than English.

"Would the French accept people singing the La Marseillaise in English as a sign of French patriotism? Of course not," said Mark Krikorian, head of the Washington-based Center for Immigration Studies, a think tank that supports tighter immigration controls.

The initial version of "Nuestro Himno," or "Our Anthem," comes out Friday and uses lyrics based closely on the English-language original, said Kidron, who heads the record label Urban Box Office.

Pro-immigration protests are planned around the country for Monday, and the record label is urging Hispanic radio stations nationwide to play the cut at 7 p.m. EDT Friday in a sign of solidarity.

A remix to be released in June will contain several lines in English that condemn U.S. immigration laws. Among them: "These kids have no parents, cause all of these mean laws ... let's not start a war with all these hard workers, they can't help where they were born."

Bryanna Bevens of Hanford, Calif., who writes for the immigration-focused Web magazine Vdare.com, said the remix particularly upset her.

"It's very whiny. If you want to say all those things, by all means, put them on your poster board, but don't put them on the national anthem," she said.

Kidron, a U.S. resident for 16 years, maintains the changes are fitting. After all, he notes, American immigrants borrowed the melody of the "Star Spangled Banner" from an English drinking song.

"There's no attempt to usurp anything. The intent is to communicate," Kidron said. "I wanted to show my thanks to these people who buy my records and listen to the music we release and do the jobs I don't want to do."

Kidron said the song also will be featured on the album "Somos Americanos," which will sell for $10, with $1 going to the National Capital Immigration Coalition, a Washington group.

James Gardner, an associate director of the Smithsonian's National Museum of American History, said Americans have long enjoyed different interpretations of the Star Spangled Banner, including country or gospel arrangements.

"There are a number of renditions that people aren't happy with, but that's part of it - that it means enough for people to try to sing," he said.

Pitbull, whose real name is Armando Perez, said this country was built by immigrants, and "the meaning of the American dream is in that record: struggle, freedom, opportunity, everything they are trying to shut down on us."

Associated Press writer Suzette Laboy in Miami contributed to this report.

04-28-06 03:23 EDT

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

What the Hell is this!?!?!!?!?!!

We allow people to come to our country to enjoy it, live here, be free, they can keep their own cultures all they want, but we don't invite people to come change our country. Instead of a british guy making a spanish National Anthem for America(sounds a little odd huh?) why doesn't he go to mexico and try to figure out how to make things there better?

let's look at their quotes:

-"These kids have no parents, cause all of these mean laws ... let's not start a war with all these hard workers, they can't help where they were born."

well, the laws aren't mean, these parents brought their kids over knowing they were doing it illigally, it's their fault, their problem, but now we are forced to raise their kids. Sure they work hard, so do the rest of us. Just becaue the majoraty of physical labor in the southwest is done by minorities, doesn't mean that everywhere else it's done by the average caucasian American Citizen. They can't help where they were born, but they can wait until they get here legally, then have kids, or just try and make their country better.

-"It's very whiny. If you want to say all those things, by all means, put them on your poster board, but don't put them on the national anthem," she said.

I agree with her. I don't think the song should be made, but it shouldn't have a bunch of guilt trip crap put in. That's just wrong, I can't even put it in words.

-"There's no attempt to usurp anything. The intent is to communicate," Kidron said. "I wanted to show my thanks to these people who buy my records and listen to the music we release and do the jobs I don't want to do."

I was trying to keep this as clean as possible and not name call, but this guy is a jackoff! He want's more people to buy his records, but he's only going to sell it in America, so you have to immigrate, however you can, and buy it. And about the jobs, just because he doesn't want to do it, doesn't mean there aren't American Citezens sharing the same job the illigal immigrants have, because I know plenty of pure born Americans doing the same jobs. Ass.

That's it for the name calling, I apologize, but not to him.

Moving on

-James Gardner, an associate director of the Smithsonian's National Museum of American History, said Americans have long enjoyed different interpretations of the Star Spangled Banner, including country or gospel arrangements.

Ok, country i understand, they are speaking English, country music also originated here in the U.S., the spanish language did not. Gospel also originated in the U.S., or at least it was a big part of American History. You shouldn't be singing the anthem of a country you sneak into, it's like inviting you friend to come over and watch t.v. on the 32" plasma screen he stole from you the day before, wtf

I don't get it, there is a lot of stuff going on lately with immigration, and now this. There are something like 300,000 illegal immigrants that come to the United States every year. I live in Arizona, where it is a big deal. There's talk that you shouldn't hate or descriminate people for where they come from, but these people are sneaking over here illigally. I've seen numerous news reports of vans speeding over the border and crashing, or other reports of police finding immigrants being smuggled into the U.S.

Here's one problem, the local police should be focusing on protecting us, finding criminals, upholding the law and holding American citezens accountable for any crimes they may commit. They shouldn't be chasing down a bunch of people who can't wait in line or stop reproducing so they can afford to live.

Another thing that everyone says is that immigrants do the jobs we won't do. This isn't true. Look at Mcdonalds for example. It's everywhere, all over American cities, in malls, in airports, and a lot of the workers(here in AZ) are not caucasian. I'm not saying they are all illigal immigrants, I know that isn't true. The point I'm trying to make is this. Since there are 300,000 illigal immigrants a year, that's 300,000 more mouths to feed. That's also 300,000 more jobs that need to be created. This goes hand in hand. If we had control over our borders, then we wouldn't need these extra jobs, the extra houses, or have the extra mouths to feed. The only reason there aren't white guys out doing landscaping work is because the companies are hiring illigal immigrants at the lowest wages so they make more profit. If the illigal immigrants weren't there to take the job, there wouldn't be demand for an illigal immigrant to take a job for 5.15/hr.

I'm not always great with words, but think of this: there are companies that exploit illigal immigrants to make themselves lots of money. The U.S.'s population is growing at an exponential rate. In AZ alone cities are continuously growing out of control. Cities that were once separtated by miles of desert are combining into a large mass of city streets, malls, and fast food restaraunts. Because of the increasing growth, more jobs are need, so the larger corporations build more chains to supply them. As a country, we are forced to take responsibility for families that multiply and can't depend on their country to support them. They come here behind our backs, then demand to be accepted as a citezens of our country so they can do the same thing here. So what do we get out of this? Gangs, crime, we can't find a job offering decent because the corporations know they can get someone cheaper. If you can't speak English and Spanish now, you aren't considered an asset. Yes there are legal immigrants that are free to speak their language, but instead of learning English, there is just come here not wanting to learn expecting everyone to understand them and do what they want. Instead of focusing on the important U. S. matters, city police are forced to deal with immigration, taking the focus away from what really needs to be taken care of. I think our country is making a mistake, and if we aren't careful, I think we'll lose control and the country.

I read this too, I think it has some very good points. We need to keep our country.

mike

More than 36,000 students from throughout Los Angeles County, California skipped classes and marched through streets and on various freeways Monday, March 27, 2006, to protest an immigration bill being debated in Congress. "We may be illegal immigrants, but we are human," Metropolitan High School senior Melania Preciado said as she waved a Mexican flag. "We deserve the same rights as everyone else, not be treated like criminals."

What an ironic statement.

If we all went to Mexico...would we be treated as humans?? (Think of all your friends who have driven down to Mexico for a weekend trip and were either thrown in jail for looking at the Mexican police the wrong way, or were pulled over for no apparent reason and FORCED to pay off the Mexican police in order NOT to be thrown in jail)...

1. Try driving around as a Gringo in Mexico with no

liability insurance, and have an accident.

2. Enter MEXICO illegally - never mind immigration quotas,

visas, international law, or any of that nonsense.

3. Once there, demand that the local government provide

free medical care for you and your entire family.

4. Demand bilingual nurses and doctors.

5. Demand free bilingual local government forms,

bulletins, etc.

6. Speak only English at home and in public and insist

that your children do likewise.

7. Demand classes on American culture in the Mexican

school system.

8. Demand a local Mexican drivers license. This will

afford other legal rights and will go far to legitimize your

unauthorized, illegal, presence in Mexico.

9. Insist that local Mexican law enforcement teach English

to all its officers.

10. Demand that American Holidays like Labor Day, the 4th, or

Memorial day are national holidays.

Good luck!

It will not happen in Mexico nor any other country

in the world...except right here in the United States...

Land of those who want to take care of everyone,

except American Citizens!

These "student" protesters, haven't the slightest clue as to what the hell is really going on. They just want an excuse to leave school. What a disgrace to AMERICA, our country!

If you're going to waive a Mexican flag to support your heritage, fine... Just make sure there is an American one next to it...the land that gives to all of its immigrants, and you. IF Mexico is SOOOOO great - Why leave it and come to America? Think about it! Mexico isn't giving their people what they deserve, and that's why they want to be here in America. What is Mexico really doing for its people, other than making them desparate to leave? This is not about people coming to America...just come legally, so the legal system, education, medical, housing, etc., can operate more smoothly and fair for those who are citizens, and those who long to be.

If you don't agree, Please....go ahead and try all the

above in Mexico (and enjoy the prison there too...
DemonScooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2006, 07:16 PM   #2
JasonF
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 44725
Vehicle:
2006 BMW Z4
Silver

Damn dude... that's a lot of text. There's been too much discussion put into this lately- I think people started reading too much into some British music producer's stupid gimmick to make some easy $$$ (which, by the way- $1 donation out of 10 for each one sold... yeah, that's mighty generous).

On the other hand, I think the folks who organized this for "the cause" did it with the intent to be offensive. They want people who don't speak English to be able to understand the meaning mehind the nat'l anthem... Bull****. If that's the reason, why is it timed right when congress is going back to the table with the immigration issue?

And, yes the Star Spangled Banner has been performed with many variations (including the awesome Hendrix version), but never with as much blatant cynicism as this.
JasonF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 07:22 PM   #3
phlacoe
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 62209
Vehicle:
2005 STi
Silver/Silver

I agree.

BTW: this is bound for OT
phlacoe is offline   Reply With Quote