Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Pre-2002 Factory Turbo Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 03-09-2012, 04:02 PM   #1
steveomiami
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 309883
Default Weird Idle and running problem

My 1992 wrx idles and seems to run ok with the maf unplugged. I have only driven it in a parking lot so far. If the mac is plugged in the car almost dies then revs to 1500-2000, surging back and forth. When i apply throttle it bogs and when i release the throttle it surges to 2000 rpm again after almost dying. Also where is the iacv? What is the other electronic thing on the top of the engine that is held by 2 screws?
steveomiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2012, 01:37 PM   #2
pmugabi
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 280926

The IACV is the electronic bit you just described. Did you check for CELs? To get accurate codes you might want to reset the ECU first since you will have a MAF code from running the car with MAF unplugged.
pmugabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:10 PM   #3
steveomiami
Scooby Newbie

are you sure that is the iacv? when I pull the two screws out and take it out there is a circular magnetic thing that looks like it may spin. I was thinking that the iacv is more near the throttle body. The thing I'm asking about is more to the right.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:20 PM   #4
pmugabi
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 280926

It is the IACV. That spindle that you see turns a mini 'throttle' that is connected to the air intake by a hose. It was in 99 that the IACV was moved to the throttle body.
pmugabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:21 AM   #5
steveomiami
Scooby Newbie

Oh ok, when i took it apart that spindle looks a little rough and there are some metal particles in there. Do you think that is my problem or is it the maf since it runs a little better with the maf unplugged?