Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 4, 2021
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > News & Rumors > Non-Subaru News & Rumors

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2019, 08:12 AM   #1
AVANTI R5
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 73805
Join Date: Nov 2004
Default Tesla Starts Test Drives With New Truck Prototype

Quote:
Tesla Starts Test Drives With New Truck Prototype

A truck leasing company has said Tesla had approached with an offer to test drive a new truck prototype whose initial version the luxury EV maker revealed last year.

Electrek’s Fred Lambert reports the company, TCI Transportation, last year test drove the first Tesla truck, the Semi, and was now presented with a new version of the same truck, after it ordered 50 Semis earlier.

“The new Tesla Semi Tractor Prototype is here at TCI today!! We had an awesome turn out and people were even given a test drive in it. What a great day for TCI and it’s customers!” the truck leasing company said in a tweet today.

The Tesla Semi has two versions, one with a range of 300 miles and one with a range of 500 miles. The price tags are, respectively, US$150,000 and US$180,000 but Musk, Lambert recalls, said Tesla was aiming for even higher ranges of up to 600 miles.

The Semi is not yet in production. Last year, Musk said it was scheduled to begin mass production this year and no updates to this timeline have been announced.

However, Lambert says the so-called new version of the Semi that TCI Transportation tweeted about is probably not exactly a new version but an updated, improved version of the original Semi showcased last year.

Trucks are not the only new addition to Tesla’s lineup. Late last year Musk tweeted about a pickup truck that’s also on the agenda, although it will probably be a while until we see it because another model, the Model Y, is higher up the priority list.

Musk said Tesla might team up with Daimler on the pickup truck in order to bring it to markets sooner rather than later. Funnily enough, before the release of the Semi, Daimler’s head of trucks mocked the truck, telling Bloomberg, “If Tesla really delivers on this promise, we’ll obviously buy two trucks -- one to take apart and one to test because if that happens, something has passed us by. But for now, the same laws of physics apply.”
Preview
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
AVANTI R5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 06-15-2019, 09:05 AM   #2
AVANTI R5
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 73805
Join Date: Nov 2004
Default

What Is He Smoking? Elon Musk Claims His New Pickup Will Have Better Performance Than A Porsche 911

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-pick...911-elon-musk/
AVANTI R5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 05:54 PM   #3
JustyWRC
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 153088
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Arlington, TN
Vehicle:
2005 Baja Turbo
95 Sambar 06 Forester

Default

What's wrong with that claim? The Rivian claims 0-60 in under 4 seconds. Elon may just be focusing more development on handling for a truck than any of the other companies that make a truck. Keep in mind this question comes from a much more uneducated side of knowing what can be done for handling on a truck.
JustyWRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 06:59 PM   #4
Suryank
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 500698
Join Date: Apr 2019
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustyWRC View Post
What's wrong with that claim? The Rivian claims 0-60 in under 4 seconds. Elon may just be focusing more development on handling for a truck than any of the other companies that make a truck. Keep in mind this question comes from a much more uneducated side of knowing what can be done for handling on a truck.
+1
Suryank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 11:45 PM   #5
godfather2112
Papi Chulo
Moderator
 
Member#: 53794
Join Date: Jan 2004
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Boner kill city
Vehicle:
... 2017 BMW M2
2017 F-150

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustyWRC View Post
What's wrong with that claim? The Rivian claims 0-60 in under 4 seconds. Elon may just be focusing more development on handling for a truck than any of the other companies that make a truck. Keep in mind this question comes from a much more uneducated side of knowing what can be done for handling on a truck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suryank View Post
+1
Laws of physics still apply. Sure, I don’t doubt it could put accelerate a base
Model 911. That said, being able to out handle a 911 on actual turns? Seems like a steep claim.
godfather2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 11:15 AM   #6
juanmedina
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 133146
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: SC
Vehicle:
07 FPgreen [email protected]
WRX VF39+E85 12.0, 121mph

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustyWRC View Post
What's wrong with that claim? The Rivian claims 0-60 in under 4 seconds. Elon may just be focusing more development on handling for a truck than any of the other companies that make a truck. Keep in mind this question comes from a much more uneducated side of knowing what can be done for handling on a truck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suryank View Post
+1
Elon already said that the physics work out and he holds and engineer degree in physics. I never been interested in trucks but it would be awesome if they can make a truck handle like a sport car .
juanmedina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 04:08 PM   #7
elirentz
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 70082
Join Date: Sep 2004
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Davis, CA
Vehicle:
2016 SS, 02 s2k
06 Cayman S, 80cc shifter

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanmedina View Post
Elon already said that the physics work out and he holds and engineer degree in physics. I never been interested in trucks but it would be awesome if they can make a truck handle like a sport car .
He does have a bachelors in physics but not engineering. Your fanboyism knows no bounds lol

No the truck won't be able to out handle a 911 any more than a cayenne will. Trucks have too high COG and are too heavy. He's most definitely talking about straight line performance.
elirentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 10:44 PM   #8
juanmedina
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 133146
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: SC
Vehicle:
07 FPgreen [email protected]
WRX VF39+E85 12.0, 121mph

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elirentz View Post
He does have a bachelors in physics but not engineering. Your fanboyism knows no bounds lol

No the truck won't be able to out handle a 911 any more than a cayenne will. Trucks have too high COG and are too heavy. He's most definitely talking about straight line performance.
Bro the law of physics apply first. Does it matter if he doesn't have an engineering degree? It doesn't ....I know a bunch of hacks from GM and Ford that have engineering degrees and you would surprised how useless they are.

How do you know Tesla cannot achieve a low CG? Why if the suspension is ride adjustable and you can essentially slammed the truck to the ground for the track? The performance model 3 already beats car in their category that are 600lbs lighter.

The Model X already beats the vast majority of 911s in the 1/4th mile and even the semi truck get a 0-60 in 5 seconds. Even the Rivian truck is supposed to get 0-60 in 3 seconds. Beating a base 911 in straight line Performance would be an easy task .

I remember when Elon said that the model 3 performance will beat a BMW M3 and people thought he was crazy you are clueless.
juanmedina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 01:33 AM   #9
hooziewhatsit
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 143938
Join Date: Mar 2007
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Oregon
Default

Lowered suspension and huge pack in the floor? That will make for a low COG.

If there's one thing I've learned over the years... never underestimate what he says
hooziewhatsit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 03:59 PM   #10
Scooby921
Merci Buckets
Moderator
 
Member#: 88606
Join Date: Jun 2005
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Michigan
Vehicle:
2018 Grand Cherokee
Velvet Red Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanmedina View Post
Bro the law of physics apply first. Does it matter if he doesn't have an engineering degree? It doesn't ....I know a bunch of hacks from GM and Ford that have engineering degrees and you would surprised how useless they are.

How do you know Tesla cannot achieve a low CG? Why if the suspension is ride adjustable and you can essentially slammed the truck to the ground for the track? The performance model 3 already beats car in their category that are 600lbs lighter.

The Model X already beats the vast majority of 911s in the 1/4th mile and even the semi truck get a 0-60 in 5 seconds. Even the Rivian truck is supposed to get 0-60 in 3 seconds. Beating a base 911 in straight line Performance would be an easy task .

I remember when Elon said that the model 3 performance will beat a BMW M3 and people thought he was crazy you are clueless.
I'm glad that straight line acceleration and a lack of turning is the metric by which a sportscar is measured. Heaven forbid anyone take a 911 off the strip and start turning corners with it.

I'm not sure how you or they (whomever) is measuring performance for the Model 3 and how it beats other car in its category or the M3. I don't care about the Model 3 and care less after driving one. I pay zero attention to any comparison testing performed by professionals and have read no articles about it. If you have some links to results I'd be interesting in reading them to see just how it stacks up. Being honest here. It scoots in a straight line, but I didn't find it confidence inspiring in the winter when I tested it, so if warm / dry weather performance is that stellar I'd like to see just how it is stacking up.


Realistically, yes, one could build a truck that handles very well. Low ride height, battery pack down low to keep the CG down, and a suspension designed to turn corners. The problem here is that it's now a car with a truck shape and no longer good at doing "truck things". As you said, the laws of physics still apply. You don't slam it to the ground to improve the roll centers and CG height and still maintain the suspension travel required to absorb the load you stuff in the bed or tongue weight on the hitch. You don't get sharp steering response from stiff bushings and springs and swaybars while also maintaining what people would consider a comfortable ride when off-road. For those who buy a truck to do car things...yeah it could handle. For those who buy a truck to do truck things...I don't think they give a **** if it performs better than a Porsche 911. They were never shopping for a 911 in the first place.
Scooby921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 05:16 PM   #11
Keshav
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 1654
Join Date: Jun 2000
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Seattle, WA, USA
Vehicle:
2019 GoCycle GX
MV Agusta Brutale S

Default

the article says nothing about handling and it calls out a 'base 911' specifically. He probably just means a sprint to 60, which isn't that hard to do with Tesla's electric motors.
Keshav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 10:02 PM   #12
juanmedina
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 133146
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: SC
Vehicle:
07 FPgreen [email protected]
WRX VF39+E85 12.0, 121mph

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby921 View Post
I'm glad that straight line acceleration and a lack of turning is the metric by which a sportscar is measured. Heaven forbid anyone take a 911 off the strip and start turning corners with it.

I'm not sure how you or they (whomever) is measuring performance for the Model 3 and how it beats other car in its category or the M3. I don't care about the Model 3 and care less after driving one. I pay zero attention to any comparison testing performed by professionals and have read no articles about it. If you have some links to results I'd be interesting in reading them to see just how it stacks up. Being honest here. It scoots in a straight line, but I didn't find it confidence inspiring in the winter when I tested it, so if warm / dry weather performance is that stellar I'd like to see just how it is stacking up.


Realistically, yes, one could build a truck that handles very well. Low ride height, battery pack down low to keep the CG down, and a suspension designed to turn corners. The problem here is that it's now a car with a truck shape and no longer good at doing "truck things". As you said, the laws of physics still apply. You don't slam it to the ground to improve the roll centers and CG height and still maintain the suspension travel required to absorb the load you stuff in the bed or tongue weight on the hitch. You don't get sharp steering response from stiff bushings and springs and swaybars while also maintaining what people would consider a comfortable ride when off-road. For those who buy a truck to do car things...yeah it could handle. For those who buy a truck to do truck things...I don't think they give a **** if it performs better than a Porsche 911. They were never shopping for a 911 in the first place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keshav View Post
the article says nothing about handling and it calls out a 'base 911' specifically. He probably just means a sprint to 60, which isn't that hard to do with Tesla's electric motors.

He said "better sports car than a basic 911" at the 50 second mark. The base 911 Carrera has a 0-60 of 4.4 seconds so that will be too easy for the Tesla truck to achieve at the current technology. He also says that making the truck be like sports car is really hard to achieve.

If you want read about the model 3 performance vs BMW M3 this a good one: https://www.topgear.com/car-news/ele...-3-vs-bmw-m3#1

Here is another article with Randy Pobst comparing the model 3 performance vs quadrifoglio in similar compound tires.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/tesl...ersion-review/

As far as Tesla making a truck that handle really well is very possible; the suspension could be an air ride suspension so you can lower it a lot if you go to the track and raise it a lot for truck duties. I agree I couldn't care less if a truck out handles a base 911... I don't even like trucks . Who knows what they are planning on doing with the suspension but we will find out very soon.

Last edited by juanmedina; 06-17-2019 at 10:09 PM.
juanmedina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 10:07 PM   #13
godfather2112
Papi Chulo
Moderator
 
Member#: 53794
Join Date: Jan 2004
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Boner kill city
Vehicle:
... 2017 BMW M2
2017 F-150

Default

*couldn't care less*

Just sayin.
godfather2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 10:34 PM   #14
elirentz
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 70082
Join Date: Sep 2004
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Davis, CA
Vehicle:
2016 SS, 02 s2k
06 Cayman S, 80cc shifter

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanmedina View Post
Bro the law of physics apply first. Does it matter if he doesn't have an engineering degree? It doesn't ....I know a bunch of hacks from GM and Ford that have engineering degrees and you would surprised how useless they are.

How do you know Tesla cannot achieve a low CG? Why if the suspension is ride adjustable and you can essentially slammed the truck to the ground for the track? The performance model 3 already beats car in their category that are 600lbs lighter.

The Model X already beats the vast majority of 911s in the 1/4th mile and even the semi truck get a 0-60 in 5 seconds. Even the Rivian truck is supposed to get 0-60 in 3 seconds. Beating a base 911 in straight line Performance would be an easy task .

I remember when Elon said that the model 3 performance will beat a BMW M3 and people thought he was crazy you are clueless.

No it doesn't matter that he doesn't have an engineering degree, but when someone (you) state he does as if it's proof he knows what he's talking about I'm going to point out the truth.

I have no doubt they can make a truck that handles well but as Scrappy said, if it's going to be a decent truck it won't handle as well as a 911. That's a much different thing than making a model 3 compete with the M3 for a few laps.
elirentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 10:34 PM   #15
4S-TURBO
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 67807
Join Date: Aug 2004
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: por\\and
Vehicle:
V^V justrememberall
capswhenuspellyomansname

Default

Supply side or demand side? **** it, another Tesla thread is what America needs.
4S-TURBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 12:31 PM   #16
Scooby921
Merci Buckets
Moderator
 
Member#: 88606
Join Date: Jun 2005
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Michigan
Vehicle:
2018 Grand Cherokee
Velvet Red Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanmedina View Post
If you want read about the model 3 performance vs BMW M3 this a good one: https://www.topgear.com/car-news/ele...-3-vs-bmw-m3#1

Here is another article with Randy Pobst comparing the model 3 performance vs quadrifoglio in similar compound tires.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/tesl...ersion-review/

As far as Tesla making a truck that handle really well is very possible; the suspension could be an air ride suspension so you can lower it a lot if you go to the track and raise it a lot for truck duties. I agree I couldn't care less if a truck out handles a base 911... I don't even like trucks . Who knows what they are planning on doing with the suspension but we will find out very soon.
Thanks for the links!
Scooby921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 04:42 PM   #17
juanmedina
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 133146
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: SC
Vehicle:
07 FPgreen [email protected]
WRX VF39+E85 12.0, 121mph

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elirentz View Post
No it doesn't matter that he doesn't have an engineering degree, but when someone (you) state he does as if it's proof he knows what he's talking about I'm going to point out the truth.

I have no doubt they can make a truck that handles well but as Scrappy said, if it's going to be a decent truck it won't handle as well as a 911. That's a much different thing than making a model 3 compete with the M3 for a few laps.
Ohhhh I see what you are saying that ..... it was typo... I wrote he holds an engineering degree in physic .... I meant say he has a degree in physics...sorry
juanmedina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 05:11 PM   #18
elirentz
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 70082
Join Date: Sep 2004
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Davis, CA
Vehicle:
2016 SS, 02 s2k
06 Cayman S, 80cc shifter

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanmedina View Post
Ohhhh I see what you are saying that ..... it was typo... I wrote he holds an engineering degree in physic .... I meant say he has a degree in physics...sorry
Hey, a dual major in economics and physics is more impressive than an engineering degree.
elirentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:18 AM   #19
AVANTI R5
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 73805
Join Date: Nov 2004
Default The latest and juiciest facts about the Cybetruck have surfaced

New Facts About The Tesla Cybertruck Have Emerged @ Top Speed
Dim Angelov
The latest and juiciest facts about the Cybetruck have surfaced

by , on March 2, 2021, 16:00 LISTEN 01:33

Some time ago, Tesla unveiled their boldly-styled Cybertruck. The futuristic-looking EV puck-up truck was and still is talked about a lot. We also know that it will be on sale sometime in late 2021. Despite its official introduction, however, the Cybertruck remained a work in progress and now, more details about it came out.



The Tesla Cybertruck was promised to be innovative, despite its very simplistic exterior design, which is one of the easiest to replicate by a seven-year-old with a pen and a blank A4 paper.

We already know that the body is constructed by the same extra-hard stainless steel material used in the SpaceX shuttle and that it will accelerate to 60 mph in 2.9 seconds, while its tri-motor produces 800 horsepower and 1,000 pound-feet (1,356 Nm). This allows the angular EV to tow up to 14,000 pounds (6,350 kg).

New Facts About the Tesla Cybertruck Have Emerged
- image 974124
But we are not here to bore you with stuff you probably already know. Instead, we are showing you a YouTube video from Electric Future, which goes more deeply into the Cybertruck’s development and all changes that have been made to it since its official unveiling in 2019.

New Facts About the Tesla Cybertruck Have Emerged
- image 974127
If you thought Elon Musk can’t surprise you anymore, stay tuned, because the video below showcases some pretty unusual decisions, with regards to Cybertruck’s development.

AVANTI R5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:54 PM   #20
Balantz
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 101457
Join Date: Nov 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
Czar of Sweet Dance
Moves

Default

No.


Just.....


No.
Balantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2021 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.