Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday November 30, 2021
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Brakes & Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Brakes, Steering & Suspension

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 03-09-2021, 12:33 AM   #1
gus_274
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 484892
Default 2019 STI - Uneven Brake Pad Wear?

Hello all!

My 2019 STI with just over 20,000 km suddenly started to shake under braking mostly noticeable at higher speeds. Given how low the kilometers are, I don't see how it can be an issue with the rotors, but I did see something odd.

Both left and right front brake pads appear to have a strange wedge type wear pattern as shown in the picture https://ibb.co/b2Vy5Lc . I'm assuming this could be the culprit, but I don't understand how it can wear this way or even that fast. Nothing has been done to the car itself and I always have maintenance done at the dealer.

What could be the cause? Especially as both sides have the same wedge type wear.

Last edited by gus_274; 03-09-2021 at 12:36 AM. Reason: picture not showing up
gus_274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2021, 12:59 AM   #2
murrdogg24
Scooby Guru

Member#: 50586
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
64 Impala

The pistons must be getting stuck or something. I wonder if this is happening on my 2020 STI as well because I get some weird noises when I'm slowly taking off at a red light like the caliper is stuck to the rotor. My old 04 STI brembo's pistons would get stuck too sometimes.
murrdogg24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 01:16 AM   #3
ronemus
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 124146
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
'17 Outback 2.5i
Premium Tungsten

I think it's most likely a seized slide pin. Specialized grease is needed to lube them - standard grease swells the rubber bushing so the pin no longer retracts. Has any brake work been done recently?
ronemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 08:42 AM   #4
gus_274
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the responses so far. No brake work has been done. In fact I have been driving a lot less as I'm working from home due to the pandemic. The car can go between 4-5 days without being driven.
Old 03-09-2021, 09:04 AM   #5
murrdogg24
Scooby Guru

Member#: 50586
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
64 Impala

Wat OP has 6 piston brembos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronemus View Post
I think it's most likely a seized slide pin. Specialized grease is needed to lube them - standard grease swells the rubber bushing so the pin no longer retracts. Has any brake work been done recently?
murrdogg24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 10:28 AM   #6
blurred
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 47143

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus_274 View Post
Thanks for the responses so far. No brake work has been done. In fact I have been driving a lot less as I'm working from home due to the pandemic. The car can go between 4-5 days without being driven.
This is it, you need to service the brakes more often and can start with an aggressive re-bed to see if it is just from lack of use and more corrosion. Big brakes take more work to get good temps into them to burn off any moisture and prevent rust/corrosion

Start with aggressive re-bed
Get them serviced/cleaned up
blurred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 03:16 PM   #7
Fable1521
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 470013

Try to bleed the brakes
Fable1521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 01:48 PM   #8
gus_274
Scooby Newbie

Well it is about time to visit the dealer anyway to change the tires and oil. I was going to hold off still as the temperatures are still cold to switch to summers, but the brake issue does not look good so I will get it done all at the same time at the end of next week. I will keep you posted on what the official verdict is.
Old 09-15-2021, 12:20 AM   #9
DirtyBugeye02
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 431475
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
Black

Sorry to bring up an older thread, but my 2019 STI is having the same exact issue. my problem looks identical to the picture that you took. Did you ever get this resolved? My car is at 18,000 Miles for reference.
DirtyBugeye02 is offline   Reply With Quote