Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Electrical & Lighting

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 02-04-2012, 10:48 AM   #1
Jays04WRX
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 138785
Vehicle:
2005 Impreza WRX/STi
CGM

Default Battery, Brake, and Rear Diff Temp light flickering intermittently

Hi Folks,

I've been having an intermittent issue with my 2005 STi lately. For some time, the rear differential temperature light has been flickering while driving. It usually turns off while at a stop, and begins again while rolling. The nature of the flickering changes day to day. I had figured that this was a bad ground, and haven't been able to look for the rear diff ground strap yet.

Recently, while driving down the road after having to jump start my battery (car sat for several weeks in the cold), my voltage dropped severely to the point where the battery, brake, and ABS lights came on. I pulled the car into a parking lot as the gauge cluster died, and killed the ignition. The car still had the stock battery, so I brought it to Napa where it tested bad, and I replaced it.

A week or so after that, while letting the car warm up I noticed the battery light came on. I checked voltage across the battery and found that the alternator was not charging. I parked the car and went to start it several days later, and the battery was charging appropriately. I assume I probably have an issue with the alternator, but is there a way to check for sure if its failure is intermittent?

When driving the car the other day, I noticed that the battery, brake, and rear differential temp lights were all flickering in unison as I idled at a stop. I shut the car off, ran my errand, and when I came back and started it again, the problem was gone.

I feel like I have a somewhat complex set of issues. Where should I start troubleshooting?

Thanks!
Jay
Jays04WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2012, 10:56 AM   #2
Cougar4
Scooby Guru

Member#: 53443
Vehicle:
2001 LL Bean Outback
Winestone

It sounds like some of the diodes in the alternator are bad. Check for AC voltage ripple on the alternator output while the engine is running around 1500 RPM. If you have over .1 volt AC volts then the alternator is defective.
Cougar4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:58 AM   #3
Jays04WRX
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 Impreza WRX/STi
CGM

Is this test valid even when the lights aren't flashing? Can diodes fail intermittently, or should checking this once be the definitive test? It certainly makes sense that the alternator could be bad, seeing as how it was failing to charge the battery at one point.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:38 AM   #4
Cougar4
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2001 LL Bean Outback
Winestone

You can check the voltage at anytime. Diodes do fail fairly often since there is a lot of heat generated due to the high current load.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:08 PM   #5
Jays04WRX
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 Impreza WRX/STi
CGM

Just went out and fired up the car. Battery is charging normally (14.7 VDC across the battery) and my cheap radioshack multimeter reads 0 VAC across the battery. Of course, the lights are not flickering at this point. Is it plausible that the diodes are failing intermittently? I will definitely check for AC voltage across the battery next time they flicker at idle.

What are these diodes, and what do they do?
Old 02-04-2012, 01:19 PM   #6
Mulder
Trust no one

Member#: 11170
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
02 RAV4 MT
15 WRX/11 CRZ

The diodes convert the alternating current (hence why it's called an "alternator") into direct current that the car can use. There's a bunch of them and it's very possible to have one or more fail without being obvious. When this happens the effective output of the alternator is reduced, and with enough AC component in the output you'll start to get those odd symptoms like flicker, warning lights, and so on. A simple meter test on the battery may not always show the problem, but a scope will or you can remove the alternator from the car and take it to a parts store or rebuilder to be tested.
Mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 02:22 PM   #7
Cougar4
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2001 LL Bean Outback
Winestone

Since you are having an intermittant problem then having some bad diodes is most likely not the case here. Once a diode goes bad then that is it. It won't fix itself and the problem will remain. I suggest you clean the battery connections using a battery post cleaning brush. There may be a thin layer of corrosion on the connection surfaces causing the trouble. Also make sure that the connections at the rear of the alternator are making good connection along with output lead of the alternator. Be careful with the output connection as it is always hot to the battery.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:29 PM   #8
Goeddel
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 286137
Vehicle:
2005 Sti
Jbp

Check your serpentine belt. i had this issue and my serpentine belt was a little loose. tighted it up and it was good to go.
Hope this helps,
Joel
Goeddel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:06 PM   #9
Jays04WRX
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 Impreza WRX/STi
CGM

Thanks for the suggestions folks. My best guess at this point is that the voltage regulator in the alternator is going bad. When the car is cold, the car behaves fine. After about 20 minutes of driving, the alternator ceases to charge and the brake and battery lights start to flicker, then become solid as the voltage across the battery drops far enough. I have ordered a new Bosch alternator from RockAuto, so we'll see if this solves my issue.

My battery terminals are clean, and the connections at the alternator look fine as well.

I will report back when I get the new alternator and let you all know what works out.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:13 PM   #10
Cougar4
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2001 LL Bean Outback
Winestone

A replacement alternator will most likely solve the trouble.
Old 08-07-2017, 11:47 AM   #11
mav1c
Hoodbridge!

Member#: 560
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2006 STi, 16 Outback
Crystal Gray, Silver

Resurrecting this, as I'm having the same exact problem. The r.diff, battery, and Brake lights will come on in unison, and flicker on and off in unison. Seems like just a connection and/or ground somewhere is loose. Did replacing the alternator fix the problem?
mav1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 01:37 PM   #12
ogintheback
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 99163
Chapter/Region: South East

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1c View Post
Resurrecting this, as I'm having the same exact problem. The r.diff, battery, and Brake lights will come on in unison, and flicker on and off in unison. Seems like just a connection and/or ground somewhere is loose. Did replacing the alternator fix the problem?

Its been awhile since I had a similar (may have been same) situation. I had advance zone confirm that my alternator was shot. I replaced it with one of these ordered directly from LSA. I have no affiliation with LSA. Hope this helps.

http://lancasterstarterandalternator...ternators.html
ogintheback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 05:35 PM   #13
STeeIguy
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 472471
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2004 WRX STI
WRB

Did Anyone Have Issues With Their Ac Compressor Clutch? I Replaced My Alternator And Same Things Were Happening. I'm Going To Be Replacing The Whole Ac System This Weekend.
STeeIguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 01:40 AM   #14
subaru3169
Scooby Guru

Member#: 55252
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
* pullup bar *

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1c View Post
it did for me.. i had the brake and battery lights on just last month; the alternator was ultimately failing

glad i had an extra in my garage to replace it
subaru3169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 03:26 PM   #15
Cougar4
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2001 LL Bean Outback
Winestone

Quote:
Originally Posted by STeeIguy View Post
Did Anyone Have Issues With Their Ac Compressor Clutch? I Replaced My Alternator And Same Things Were Happening. I'm Going To Be Replacing The Whole Ac System This Weekend.
If you are replacing the AC due to your warning lights flickering then I suggest you hold off doing that. If you suspect something is wrong with the AC clutch then disconnect the connector to it and then see what happens after you isolate that. The only time the warning lights flicker is when there are bad diodes inside the alternator.
Old 08-08-2017, 03:56 PM   #16
Charlie-III
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 30669
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

If Cougar4 states something electrical, I won't argue unless I do more testing, he keeps me honest and helps a lot of others.
Just saying......
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 04:34 PM   #17
Cougar4
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2001 LL Bean Outback
Winestone

The Cat isn't always correct and can get off the trail at times. You help keep me honest too Charlie-III. Just saying....
Old 08-31-2018, 02:26 PM   #18
challeen42
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 472151

Jay, did you decide if it was the alternator or not?
challeen42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 02:47 PM   #19
Mulder
Trust no one

Member#: 11170
Vehicle:
02 RAV4 MT
15 WRX/11 CRZ

Last login 6-9-15, he ain't gonna answer.
Mulder is offline   Reply With Quote