Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Newbies & FAQs

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-26-2012, 10:54 AM   #1
laxaholic
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 338950
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza 2.5i
Aspen White

Default Used Subaru WRX Help

Hello everyone,

This is my first post here. I am a university student in Georgia, and I currently own a 2001 Toyota Land Cruiser; slow, gas-guzzling (10-12mpg in town, 13-15mpg on the road), BUT it is as reliable as can be and rides smooth. Has 167,000 miles on it, have replaced nothing but the oil and a fuel pump. With that being said, I have been looking in to other options that would be more efficient and a little less bland.

I used to be into the 4x4 stuff, but it just gets expensive and just plain stupid after a while. I could understand spending that kind of money building up a 4x4 if you were going to drive it across Africa, or start driving around the globe...but rock climbing on the weekends? No way.

Anyway, I have narrowed down a few options regarding a new (to me) vehicle, and a Subaru is one of them. (I also like Toyota Tacoma's) I am fairly active, snowboarding, outdoors stuff, diving, that kind of thing; so I think that the room of the older WRX wagon is needed, I am just not into the sedans at this point. If I'm going to get a car, I'd like to get something that I would enjoy driving. I'd like to spend around $10k, but if the right car came along, then I would adjust accordingly. Also, if you guys think of any other suggestions for different vehicles to look at, please throw them my way.

Here are my questions: How reliable are the older WRX wagons? Any common problems to watch for? I'm not one to drive the hell out of a car, and at this point, I'm not interested in doing any upgrades. Just put my stereo in and drive. What years should I look out for? Any signs of abuse to keep my eye out for in a used one? How can I trust a used WRX wagon, with the reputation for being ridden hard and put up wet? What kind of real world MPG is possible with these wagons? I've read, 26 on the highway? Most of my highway driving is between 55-75mph, and again, I don't drive the crap out of my vehicles constantly. Premium fuel, correct? How many miles is too many, especially when buying used? I'm used to Toyotas that just seem to run forever.

I really appreciate your time, and thanks in advance for any help. This seems to be a great forum, and I look forward to reading more.

Cheers,
Jack
laxaholic is offline   Reply With Quote