Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday September 20, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > General Community

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 02-23-2018, 10:32 AM   #76
SprinterWRX2018
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 477013

Thanks for the write-up Cronkodile. Makes me want to consider trading in my 2018 WRX for a 2019 sti in a year or so. I always feel like something's missing in my WRX. to be quite honest i love the way the STI sounds compared to a WRX. Does anyone know if 18 inch or 17 inch rims will fit on a 2018 STI. the 19 inch rims seem quite a bit excessive.
SprinterWRX2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2018, 10:34 AM   #77
rumatt
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 46775

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprinterWRX2018 View Post
Does anyone know if 18 inch or 17 inch rims will fit on a 2018 STI. the 19 inch rims seem quite a bit excessive.
Tirerack lists a lot of 18" options, so they clearly fit. I saw a photo somewhere of someone who fit a 17 but it was dangerously close.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 12:46 PM   #78
likeawind
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 238303
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Sti
WRB

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
Tirerack lists a lot of 18" options, so they clearly fit. I saw a photo somewhere of someone who fit a 17 but it was dangerously close.
I doubt that it will safely clear the brembos.
likeawind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 03:38 PM   #79
Cronkodile
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 479682

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagwell View Post
Yeah, I thought that was for the previous gen with the WRX (5spd).
I havenít tested exactly what gear takes you to what speed, but I can confirm the gearing is shorter (almost too short) in the STI, even comparing latest 6 speeds for both.
Cronkodile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 04:53 AM   #80
scrummel
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 324403

Fantastic write up, Thanks for compiling all of this.
scrummel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 11:36 PM   #81
Marco31sti
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 477060

nice write up
Marco31sti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 12:59 PM   #82
R1Armadillo
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 481444
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2018 STI Limited
WRB

Quote:
Thanks for the write-up Cronkodile. Makes me want to consider trading in my 2018 WRX for a 2019 sti in a year or so. I always feel like something's missing in my WRX. to be quite honest i love the way the STI sounds compared to a WRX. Does anyone know if 18 inch or 17 inch rims will fit on a 2018 STI. the 19 inch rims seem quite a bit excessive.
You should check the wheel thread. I have been looking through it for a couple of days now myself just trying to understand everyone's input.
There definitely are some 18's that fit, but you should read through for yourself to understand the parameters.
R1Armadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 03:06 AM   #83
kiritosti
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 482838
Vehicle:
2017 WRX

I should have just waited a bit and got the 2018 as well, jumped the gun too early on the 2017
kiritosti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 07:56 PM   #84
F1EA
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 448622

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncanny_Xman View Post
Wasnít gonna say anything, but since you touched on it. I also traded out of my 2017 wrx and into an 18 STI. My experience in this regard is much different than then the OP. In daily driving situations, and stop light to stop light driving, the WRX def has more get up and go off the line. Stock against stock, the STI in ďIĒ mode def doesnít feel more powerful off the line against a Wrx, never mind a modded FA. I will go on to say that where the turbo in the WRX starts to putter out, is really where it starts to feel more alive in the STI and the car pulls much harder up top. Itís def where you notice the extra power, especially in sport+. Gas mileage is also noticeably poorer in the STI. Other than those two points, the STI for me personally is def an upgrade in pretty much every other respect.
What he said ^
I havent tried the 2018's... but based on the 2016s that's what I felt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapore0n View Post
This is a good review
https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...ru-wrx-vs-sti/

WRX is very close to the STI in terms of performance. What kills it is that 4k-5k power dip.

I had also test driven a WRX and went with the STI. Much better car IMO.
This ^
The 4-5k power dip is brutal.

The STI is a much better car overall; but I did the opposite, tried both... prefer the WRX for what I need and want.

I don't fully daily drive my WRX but I do drive it in the city often, and the STI would have been terrible. Also..... just came from a ~5hr road trip and I would NOT have been happy with the STI fuel consumption. It's not exactly 'great' on the WRX...
F1EA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 12:36 AM   #85
CBSWRX
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 424895
Vehicle:
2016 WRX

Sucks to hear that the hill start assist still has issues 2 years later. My WRX hill start assist is beyond useless and itís always off now. I have driven other cars with a similar system and canít even tell itís on. How did Subaru get it so wrong?
CBSWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 10:07 AM   #86
CFM56
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 460834
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2011 STi
Dark Blue

Went from a 2017 Stage 2 wrx to a bone stock 2011 limited STi, best decision of my life. Fuel mileage is garbage but I dont care, The tranny, steering, the throttle maps are leagues above the wrx I had. I just couldn't deal with the WRX's tranny any more I had to get rid of it.

PS: my diesel truck gets better mileage lol
CFM56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 12:12 PM   #87
Bigfx
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 475679
Chapter/Region: TXIC

Just traded in an 18 wrx for and 18 sti, the sti is way better in every aspect, handling is just on another level. I haven’t gotten on it yet bc I got it with 5 miles and I’m planning on keeping this car lol for a really long time but shifting is way better and throttle response is better to. But beyond the obvious performance and handling aspects the sti has way better headlights, the hids are really good at night, and the brakes are a night and day difference way better bite in and overall stopping.
Bigfx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 09:15 PM   #88
SprinterWRX2018
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 477013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfx View Post
Just traded in an 18 wrx for and 18 sti, the sti is way better in every aspect, handling is just on another level. I havenít gotten on it yet bc I got it with 5 miles and Iím planning on keeping this car lol for a really long time but shifting is way better and throttle response is better to. But beyond the obvious performance and handling aspects the sti has way better headlights, the hids are really good at night, and the brakes are a night and day difference way better bite in and overall stopping.
I'm debating whether or not to do the same. Currently have a 2018 wrx premium and thinking of going with a 2018 sti (most likely limited). If you dont mind how much did you end up paying after the trade in?
SprinterWRX2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 01:27 AM   #89
Bigfx
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 475679
Chapter/Region: TXIC

Quote:
I'm debating whether or not to do the same. Currently have a 2018 wrx premium and thinking of going with a 2018 sti (most likely limited). If you dont mind how much did you end up paying after the trade in?
I lost about a 1000 on my wrx value wise but was able to get the sti for 35 plus the negative equity, but with a little coupon it helped offset that a little more. I was pretty lucky deal wise the dealership had a discounted one and Iím jumped on it. Itís worth every penny.
Bigfx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 11:02 AM   #90
mxdude105
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 457465
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2017 WRX Base
ISM

Good write up. Considering making this switch in a year or so once my 3/36 is up on my WRX. Love the WRX overall but for me it boils down to the sound and character of the engine. The FA feels like any other turbo 4cyl. Sounds like any other turbo 4cyl. Gas mileage is decent, which is a plus. But i dunno...it's just kinda meh.

The old-school EJ might be "out of date" but I think that's part of what makes it cool. All the other hot hatch/sport sedan combos out there have generic turbo 4's like the WRX (FoST/FiST, GTI, Veloster, etc.) whereas the EJ is a throwback. I dig it.

I also have the base WRX and after a few mid-atlantic winters with this thing, I'm really missing heated seats and mirrors.
mxdude105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 02:24 AM   #91
likeawind
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2015 WRX Sti
WRB

Bought brand new 15 WRX back in 2014, drove it for almost 3 years. I had 1 year left on my lease, sold it last fall, got couple of grand more than what I owed on it. Bought a used 16 Sti Sport Tech (yeah I'm in Canada) its fully loaded and loving it since the day I bought it. Gas millage is not an issue for me, its a totally different beast.
My WRX was a base model and since owning the fully loaded Sti I believe its not a bad idea to pay extra for full options, love the power leather seats, sunroof, push start and keyless entry. I need to do the front brakes soon and I heard its super easy to replace the brake pads on the brembos.
I'm waiting for the newly designed Sti whenever that may come, preferably a Hatch, I know keep dreaming. Cheers and Thank you!
Old 03-31-2018, 08:27 AM   #92
CBSWRX
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 424895
Vehicle:
2016 WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeawind View Post
Bought brand new 15 WRX back in 2014, drove it for almost 3 years. I had 1 year left on my lease, sold it last fall, got couple of grand more than what I owed on it. Bought a used 16 Sti Sport Tech (yeah I'm in Canada) its fully loaded and loving it since the day I bought it. Gas millage is not an issue for me, its a totally different beast.
My WRX was a base model and since owning the fully loaded Sti I believe its not a bad idea to pay extra for full options, love the power leather seats, sunroof, push start and keyless entry. I need to do the front brakes soon and I heard its super easy to replace the brake pads on the brembos.
I'm waiting for the newly designed Sti whenever that may come, preferably a Hatch, I know keep dreaming. Cheers and Thank you!
Front brakes so soon already on a 2016? How many kms on the new STI?
CBSWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 01:35 PM   #93
likeawind
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2015 WRX Sti
WRB

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBSWRX View Post
Front brakes so soon already on a 2016? How many kms on the new STI?
It has 43K km, itís three years old. Is that too soon, now Iím wondering too. Any brake pad suggestion?
Old 04-01-2018, 02:27 AM   #94
The Blue Mule 2.0
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 479763

I do agree. I have a 2018 sti limited. Itís great.
The Blue Mule 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 12:07 AM   #95
wrx43v3r
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 331119

I agree with your decision to move up from WRX to STI. I don't understand why for so many years its been debated on this forum which is better. Some will say that the WRX is a better daily driver. But come on man, the STI is not that aggressive of a car that you can't daily drive it.
wrx43v3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 03:11 PM   #96
macnab
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 476613

STI is a great daily driver with stock suspension. If an owner throws track suspension onto their STI, then they're changing that. Out of the box, the STI dailies just fine, especially in econ mode.
macnab is offline   Reply With Quote