Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday December 19, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > General Community

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2018, 11:20 AM   #1
julesandtrish
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 460665
Join Date: Jan 2017
Default Pop-ups

Anybody know how to disable the pop ups that happen when first opening the app? Itís driving me 🥜!!!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
julesandtrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 02-17-2018, 01:40 PM   #2
Charlie-III
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 30669
Join Date: Dec 2002
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: USA, North NJ, 07456
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

Default

Possible setting in your browser filter.
Become a supporter of this forum (best for multiple reasons...).
Charlie-III is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 05:27 PM   #3
julesandtrish
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 460665
Join Date: Jan 2017
Default

Thanks. Iíll try that.
julesandtrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 12:13 AM   #4
Stubb063
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 479690
Join Date: Dec 2017
Default

I keep getting an on the mobile app that I canít seem to find a way to close. Itís for some casino type game and has swipable tiles. But I canít find any X or anything I can tap to let me close, so I have to completely shut down the app and restart in the hopes I get a different ad.
Stubb063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 09:29 AM   #5
Loyale93
Newbie Moderator
Moderator
 
Member#: 91347
Join Date: Jul 2005
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Boston, MA
Vehicle:
2004 Tacoma Crew Cab
2012 Triumph 1050

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubb063 View Post
I keep getting an on the mobile app that I canít seem to find a way to close. Itís for some casino type game and has swipable tiles. But I canít find any X or anything I can tap to let me close, so I have to completely shut down the app and restart in the hopes I get a different ad.
I pretty much guarantee there is an "x". This sounds like a "you problem" and not an "us problem"
Loyale93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 11:38 AM   #6
n7slc
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 443545
Join Date: Mar 2016
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: SLC, Utah
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Limited CVT
Lightning Red

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loyale93 View Post
I pretty much guarantee there is an "x". This sounds like a "you problem" and not an "us problem"
That's sounds like a d-bag statement. How about offering a paid app? How about offering ads on the lower part of the screen instead of adds that take over the entire screen and play obnoxious music when you're expecting a silent forum?

Moderator or not, that was a completely rude and unhelpful response.
n7slc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 11:43 AM   #7
n7slc
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 443545
Join Date: Mar 2016
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: SLC, Utah
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Limited CVT
Lightning Red

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by julesandtrish View Post
Anybody know how to disable the pop ups that happen when first opening the app? Itís driving me 🥜!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubb063 View Post
I keep getting an on the mobile app that I canít seem to find a way to close. Itís for some casino type game and has swipable tiles. But I canít find any X or anything I can tap to let me close, so I have to completely shut down the app and restart in the hopes I get a different ad.
I'm using Android and I have to "get ready" to swipe back to kill the ad before it takes over. It's totally F***ING annoying.

Is paying to support the forum going to kill the ads in the app? GOOD question.

How's about our Newbie Moderator answer that for us?
n7slc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 12:32 PM   #8
Stubb063
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 479690
Join Date: Dec 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by n7slc View Post
That's sounds like a d-bag statement. How about offering a paid app? How about offering ads on the lower part of the screen instead of adds that take over the entire screen and play obnoxious music when you're expecting a silent forum?



Moderator or not, that was a completely rude and unhelpful response.


Seriously, wow.

A moderator is supposed to help users, not berate them.

What an asshat.

Canít believe other moderators let this guy get away this crap.
Stubb063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 01:14 PM   #9
Mulder
Trust no one
Moderator
 
Member#: 11170
Join Date: Oct 2001
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NYC
Vehicle:
02 WRX
15 WRX/05 GTO

Default

Calm down everyone.

The app is not entirely under our control, it's a version of Tapatalk from a third-party developer. We can pass along the complaints to Nick but there may be a limit to what he can do about it.
You can try using the generic version of Tapatalk to access the forum, it might be better. Or use a browser. If you open the forum on a mobile device you'll get the mobile version by default unless you select the desktop option.
An adblocker will help in the app but this generally requires root.
Mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 01:59 PM   #10
Charlie-III
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 30669
Join Date: Dec 2002
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: USA, North NJ, 07456
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

Default

Sheesh, what a "poop storm"........

In general, I ran a Windows PC, really didn't have issues.
For close to 2 years, I've been on an iPad.

Nothing really special, not quite the control I'm used to on Windows.

I don't use Tapatalk on anything, so I can't comment on that.
I only became a forum supporter last fall due to other things and I ran out of PM room but wanted to get new PM's without deleting other older PM's.

This is the general forum, rules are a bit looser than the newb section.
Most staff here (and other forums, like where I'm a mod......if you can believe that....) are volunteers.....we get the grief but no compensation other than "maybe" the satisfaction of keeping things sorta OK and on-track.

Man.......when I was learning this stuff, it was Frikkin "read a book" or deal with the "old fart at the local shop" or break it as you went.
This "instant free gratification crap" sorta sucks.

Yes, there are things outside of staff as well as outside forum control.
It's called "advertising". The Internet is not really free, good posters or forums sell advertising to help pay for servers, bandwidth as well as some staff.

Yes, I'm a parent with 2 "20 something" kids and have been on forums for about 18 years....

Don't like this forum, find another, there are plenty out there.

I have no clue if being a supporter kills some ads here, I never had an issue on a PC before, nor did I have an issue on an iPad before I became a supporter.

PS, I do have a Smartphone, no, I don't use it for forums or ordering things........
Charlie-III is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 04:48 PM   #11
D-rock240
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 284221
Join Date: May 2011
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: West of Baltimore, MD
Vehicle:
2011 WRX GV SSM
01 Legacy/03 Outback wgns

Default

I just use the web browser (Android) and no issues connecting/using Nasioc. I'm not a big fan of using apps for sites I can use a browser for though.
D-rock240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 05:53 PM   #12
bcterp
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 409569
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Maryland
Vehicle:
2018 WRX
Silver

Default

Tap the top right corner of the add. Thereís a hidden ďxĒ and the ad will immediately close.
bcterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 08:19 AM   #13
n7slc
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 443545
Join Date: Mar 2016
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: SLC, Utah
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Limited CVT
Lightning Red

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Sheesh, what a "poop storm"........
Yep, and it's mainly because of the mods response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
In general, I ran a Windows PC, really didn't have issues. For close to 2 years, I've been on an iPad.

Nothing really special, not quite the control I'm used to on Windows.
I view the site mainly on a PC but I do use the Android app at times and that's the focus of this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
I don't use Tapatalk on anything, so I can't comment on that.
I only became a forum supporter last fall due to other things and I ran out of PM room but wanted to get new PM's without deleting other older PM's.

This is the general forum, rules are a bit looser than the newb section.
Most staff here (and other forums, like where I'm a mod......if you can believe that....) are volunteers.....we get the grief but no compensation other than "maybe" the satisfaction of keeping things sorta OK and on-track.
So that means it's OK to be rude and condescending?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Man.......when I was learning this stuff, it was Frikkin "read a book" or deal with the "old fart at the local shop" or break it as you went. This "instant free gratification crap" sorta sucks.

Yes, there are things outside of staff as well as outside forum control.
It's called "advertising". The Internet is not really free, good posters or forums sell advertising to help pay for servers, bandwidth as well as some staff.

Yes, I'm a parent with 2 "20 something" kids and have been on forums for about 18 years....

Don't like this forum, find another, there are plenty out there.

I have no clue if being a supporter kills some ads here, I never had an issue on a PC before, nor did I have an issue on an iPad before I became a supporter.

PS, I do have a Smartphone, no, I don't use it for forums or ordering things........
When I was cutting my teeth in the communications industry 25-years ago, if I ran into an issue I couldn't pickup my smartphone and Google for help. Yeah, we had it harder than the 20-somethings do now but that's life. I use this forum to help me with my Subaru. It's for sharing information. Searching a forum for an answer to an issue that somebody else may have already had is far different than say, a teenager wanting something and not wanting to work for it.

I'm a parent of a 20-something and a kid who just turned 18-yrs old. I've been dealing with the instant gratification crap for quite a few years now.

Sure, there are plenty of other forums but like many, this is my go to site. I have a smartphone and I use it for much more than just a phone. If you don't use yours to it's fullest potential, that's fine. I use mine as an informational tool often, and yes, the occasional online purchase.

I don't own anything Apple. Steve Jobs can burn in hell.

The crux of the issue for me is that I DO use the app on my phone and not the website. The internet is free but a lot of the content isn't. I can only speak for myself and say that I'm not looking for a freebie. Make a paid version of the app and I'll gladly pay for it to support the site.
n7slc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 02:44 AM   #14
Stubb063
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 479690
Join Date: Dec 2017
Default Pop-ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by n7slc View Post
Yep, and it's mainly because of the mods response.







I view the site mainly on a PC but I do use the Android app at times and that's the focus of this thread.







So that means it's OK to be rude and condescending?







When I was cutting my teeth in the communications industry 25-years ago, if I ran into an issue I couldn't pickup my smartphone and Google for help. Yeah, we had it harder than the 20-somethings do now but that's life. I use this forum to help me with my Subaru. It's for sharing information. Searching a forum for an answer to an issue that somebody else may have already had is far different than say, a teenager wanting something and not wanting to work for it.



I'm a parent of a 20-something and a kid who just turned 18-yrs old. I've been dealing with the instant gratification crap for quite a few years now.



Sure, there are plenty of other forums but like many, this is my go to site. I have a smartphone and I use it for much more than just a phone. If you don't use yours to it's fullest potential, that's fine. I use mine as an informational tool often, and yes, the occasional online purchase.



I don't own anything Apple. Steve Jobs can burn in hell.



The crux of the issue for me is that I DO use the app on my phone and not the website. The internet is free but a lot of the content isn't. I can only speak for myself and say that I'm not looking for a freebie. Make a paid version of the app and I'll gladly pay for it to support the site.


All of what n7slc said, and Iíll add that even if something is fairly easy to google, just having a discussion about it may very well lead to information that that some people didnít even think to search for. I see it in threads all the time.


And for the record, I got the ad I was asking about again and grabbed a screenshot of it




Youíll notice that thereís no ĎXí on it at all, as our Holier Than Thou Moderator assured me there most definitely would be and how itís a ďmeĒ problem.

I looked through more of his posts, by the way. What an insufferable douchebag.

Luckily, someone on here thatís actually worth a damn came along and passed on the info that you can tap the empty area near the top to make it go away.
Stubb063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2018 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2017, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.