Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday July 16, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > FA Series Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-24-2017, 10:49 PM   #1
Subie53013
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 457271
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2016 WRX
WR Pearl Blue

Default Walnut Blasting Subaru DIT engines

Hey Guys,

Decided to walnut blast my intake valves myself as I was curious to see how much gunk built up within my intake tract around 10,000 miles. Been seeing a lot within the forum community with regards to these DIT engines getting pretty dirty. Since this is fairly new with the Subaru community and BMW shops/dealers are the only ones who seem to really do this type of service, I wanted to to get all the necessary equipment and do it myself as well as start doing it for other Subaru DIT engines around.

My car is a 2016 wrx and it has about 10,500 miles. I'm currently Cobb stage 1 with no engine related mods besides the Mishimoto dual oil catch can system. I will be getting TGV deletes after the winter is over along with a protune.

Needed
  • 20+ gallon and 4.5 CFM @ 90PSI Air Compressor & Shop Vacuum
  • Media blaster kit from Bavarian Autosport
  • Vacuum adapter for walnut blaster
  • Necessary tools such as screw driver, pliers,torque wrench and socket set. (nothing special)
  • Jack stand or wheel ramps

Step 1
Jack car up. Remove top engine cover as well as plastic undertray. The undertray as a total of 13 pop clips and 2 bolts.

Step 2
Release fuel pressure. First undo cap from gas tank. Then remove the fuel pump fuse which is located in the engine bay fuse box. The manual shows where this is. It's a #15 fuse. Start the car and run until it dies. Took about 2-3 minutes. Once it died, I tried starting again wit the gas pedal to the floor to make sure all fuel was gone. You can also use your Accessport if you have one to monitor fuel pressure. It will be down around 10 or so instead of in the thousands.

Step 3
Jack car up and remove peacock from radiator. Open up radiator cap to speed up process. Stop once you fill about 3.6 quarts (what manual says to remove intake manifold).

Step 4
Remove Intercooler 3 bolts with a bracket on right side along with the clamp for the hose on the right. loosen clamp on left side hose and 1 bolt at the top left.

Step 5
Remove the 2 gas lines on the right side of the intake manifold. The top hose has a little blue clip that you pull out in order to release the hose. Remove bottom hose too. Put a few rags underneath to catch any fuel. Only a few drops came out with no pressure whatsoever.

Last edited by Subie53013; 12-01-2017 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Removing part about offering the service...
Subie53013 is offline   Reply With Quote