Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday March 19, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Alaskan Impreza Club
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Chapters > Alaskan Impreza Club Forum -- AKIC

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-12-2009, 01:52 AM   #1
Mavrik
Scooby Guru

Member#: 90347
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ & Imp 2.5RS
Yamaha FZ8

Default 99 2.5 RS engine swap (with pics)

Well a couple weeks ago the wife and I finally picked up the 2.5 RS we've only been talking about buying for several years now. Bought it knowing the engine had a rod knock and the car was going to need some work. That was fine. But plans changed and the wife needs to use it for the next two years as a daily driver. This meant all the issues it had preventing reliability needed to be fixed.

So the rod knocking engine needed to go. Also it was setting a p0303 missfire code with a compression of 80psi for cylinder #3. The wife and I located a used 30k 2.5i engine for $300. It seemed like it would work.

I've never swapped a motor before and had the plans of doing it this past saturday. I wanted to get an early start and be done with it by 4pm. Obviously being my first time swapping a motor, it took a little longer.

Bring some good tools.

Engine bay before starting

ready to pull the motor

engine out of the car

I started at 7am and had the motor out before 10am.

swapped everything onto the "new" block

by 4pm I was ready to put the timing belt on and with the help of scoobytec (who also showed me how to torque the heads down) had the motor all set to drop back into the RS by about 6pm. My only oops of the day was to neglect tightening the top starter bolt. This resulted in needing a new starter. By then though it was 7:30pm. I was tired, out of redbull and with a broken starter so we called it a night.

On sunday I picked up a new starter from NAPA.

I had the car primed with oil, filled with coolant and started by about 11am. Once the car started, Dale (scoobytec) and I heard some weird noises from the "new" block. We narrowed it down to the timing belt tensioner which quickly quieted down, allowing us to hear a familiar sound... The "new" block knocks like the old one did. Grrrrr...

So I tore apart the old block to inspect the damage. The rod bearings where spun on all four cylinders. Some actually broke into pieces when I took the rods off the crank.
yes thats a crack in the rod bearing.

So the plan is as follows... rebuild the old block or replace the pistons on a used spare 2.5 turbo block I have lying around. Stay tuned as the RS will be going back under the knife in the next week or two.

Oh and cylinder #3 still missfires... turns out the head needs adjusting. Just another thing for me to learn how to do. Other then my disappointment in the fact the RS STILL isn't running right... I had a good hands on/learning experience. I can say now that I can swap a block and it will start when I'm done. I just can't guarantee the quality of the parts lol.

ps I still LOVE this car despite its difficulty to get running right.
Mavrik is offline   Reply With Quote