Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Newbies & FAQs

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-16-2013, 11:55 AM   #1
Stealth Bomber
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 318667
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
Black

Angry Engine cuts out above 5000 RPMs

I have an issue that I have not been able to remedy since I purchased the car. It is a 2002 WRX wagon with 163k on the body. Previous owner did a lot of work to the car, mostly good parts, not so good work. It has a STi ej20k v3 swap and a lower mileage WRX 5spd transmission. The car will not rev past 5500 RPMs, sometimes won't get over 5000. It happens in all gears and in neutral, under boost and not. Car jerks as the revs bounce and won't continue past. No CEL.
Mods-
FMIC
850cc injectors
walbro 255
vf28 turbo
SR intake
turbo back exhaust, no cats
clutch upgrade
amongst others...
Since I purchased I have-
Swapped fuel pump, fpr, fuel filter, spark plugs, coil packs, MAF, Turbo, down-pipe, injectors.
I cleaned the IACV and replaced gasket, compression test was all good, boost leak test was good, tried several tunes with a reputable tuner, had a subaru guy look at it and do/help with some of the swapping of parts.
The car seems to hold boost well, AFR looks good, idles well, starts well... It just won't rev! Previous owner is not very helpful, makes suggestions like "ecu?" or "Maybe the timing belt is on wrong?" I was told the car was detuned and the rev limiter was set low. I know, I'm stupid. Don't trust anyone, even if they have a speech impediment and seem like a real nice guy.
I have searched on the site and online, I have worked with one of the most well known Subaru tuners in the state, I have had someone that regularly swaps subaru motors, I took it to a local shop... Next option seems to be a leak down test to check the condition of the heads? I just need some more suggestions, before I pull out this motor. Let me know if I can answer any specifics, thanks.
Stealth Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote