Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday July 21, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Engine Management & Tuning

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2018, 10:31 AM   #901
yamahaSHO
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 73932
Join Date: Nov 2004
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Denver
Vehicle:
2005 STi EFR 6758
04 S2000 EFR 7064

Default

If your fuel tables are off, they're off and you need to fix that. If you've tuned it properly and removed the OL delay, it'll follow your OL fuel table.

For AFR, if you don't know how to answer it, I recommend getting some dyno time and learning what works.

If you go higher in load than you are scaled for, it will just follow the last load column until you go under that load.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
yamahaSHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:40 PM   #902
Crispy 1
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 478948
Join Date: Dec 2017
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Hendersonville, NC
Vehicle:
02' WRX
SRP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahaSHO View Post
If your fuel tables are off, they're off and you need to fix that. If you've tuned it properly and removed the OL delay, it'll follow your OL fuel table.

For AFR, if you don't know how to answer it, I recommend getting some dyno time and learning what works.

If you go higher in load than you are scaled for, it will just follow the last load column until you go under that load.
Understood!

How can I, until I get a tactrix, find out where my fueling and load map stops with the stock unmodified ROM?

If my LV only goes to 1.70 load and 5,700 rpm does that mean that's as high as my map has tables for?

So anything above that and there's no guarantee what my A/F is other than what my 02 sensor says?
Crispy 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:07 PM   #903
NSFW
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 140444
Join Date: Feb 2007
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Near Seattle, WA
Vehicle:
05 Stage Free LGT
ATP 3076, 6MT, AVO FMIC

Default

You could learn quite a bit by data logging, but that won't tell you about cells you're not actually hitting, and you need a cable for that anyway. You really need to pull the ROM to know what's in it.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:54 PM   #904
Crispy 1
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 478948
Join Date: Dec 2017
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Hendersonville, NC
Vehicle:
02' WRX
SRP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFW View Post
You could learn quite a bit by data logging, but that won't tell you about cells you're not actually hitting, and you need a cable for that anyway. You really need to pull the ROM to know what's in it.
Oh I am datalogging and have plans to get a tactrix cable and download my ROM asap I just can't afford it right now. Im logging with the btSsm AP and a vagcom cable and have already learned quite a bit.

Now I need a wideband and downpipe and lots more reading you've wrote on RomRaider.

Life is trying to kick my ass right now with a lot of family stuff going on that's draining my bank and my mental stability lol.

Hopefully soon I can finish up with the hardware and start jumping into the software side a lot more than ever before!
Crispy 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 06:57 PM   #905
scwb1987
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 490961
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: PHX
Vehicle:
2004 STI
Blu

Default

Can you add a MBC to EBC if you already have a good tune and cannot access the map to change WGDC? What would happen? Just to limit flutter on EWG...


I have a Pro-tune map (SD) on Cobb AP. After reading the thread, it was pretty funny.. I just thought I'd ask if anyone has any input on what I'm trying to do? I don't want to mess with my tune. Until I get a couple more mods and need a retune...I'll probably just get my EWG plumbed back into my exhaust.. I just want to hear my motor I am Curious :0


I love the work my tuner has done. I am not trying to disrespect anyone in anyway BTW.

Last edited by scwb1987; 09-02-2018 at 07:31 PM.
scwb1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 07:37 PM   #906
no694terry
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 220816
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Vehicle:
2018 Exotruck

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scwb1987 View Post
Can you add a MBC to EBC if you already have a good tune and cannot access the map to change WGDC? What would happen? Just to limit flutter on EWG...


I have a Pro-tune map (SD) on Cobb AP. After reading the thread, it was pretty funny.. I just thought I'd ask if anyone has any input on what I'm trying to do? I don't want to mess with my tune. Until I get a couple more mods and need a retune...I'll probably just get my EWG plumbed back into my exhaust.. I just want to hear my motor I am Curious :0


I love the work my tuner has done. I am not trying to disrespect anyone in anyway BTW.
yes but it would need to be set lower than your current peak boost level to do anything. It would be a waste without being tuned for. Imo, its more of a failsafe.
no694terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 07:42 PM   #907
scwb1987
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 490961
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: PHX
Vehicle:
2004 STI
Blu

Default

I think I understand it now lol. I'm just gonna leave it alone. I love how it's setup and don't want to change it. I've got some other mods to do before getting another tune anyways. It actually sounds pretty mean when out in the open. Just city driving sucks because everything echos. Thanks for the quick response man.
scwb1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 09:52 PM   #908
PDXREALTOR
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 468393
Join Date: May 2017
Location: PDX OREGON
Vehicle:
2017 STI

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scwb1987 View Post
I think I understand it now lol. I'm just gonna leave it alone. I love how it's setup and don't want to change it. I've got some other mods to do before getting another tune anyways. It actually sounds pretty mean when out in the open. Just city driving sucks because everything echos. Thanks for the quick response man.
I tried it. You need to set wgdc to 100% and cap the VTA off the solenoid. Otherwise, it spools like ****. Even if you do set the MBC at or below the boost limit.
PDXREALTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 09:56 PM   #909
scwb1987
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 490961
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: PHX
Vehicle:
2004 STI
Blu

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXREALTOR View Post
I tried it. You need to set wgdc to 100% and cap the VTA off the solenoid. Otherwise, it spools like ****. Even if you do set the MBC at or below the boost limit.

I didnít think it would work correct without some kind of adjustment. I tried to PM ya but itís blocked I guess. Thanks for the info. I appricate the quick response! Suby ppl are awesome
scwb1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 10:02 PM   #910
PDXREALTOR
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 468393
Join Date: May 2017
Location: PDX OREGON
Vehicle:
2017 STI

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scwb1987 View Post
I didnít think it would work correct without some kind of adjustment. I tried to PM ya but itís blocked I guess. Thanks for the info. I appricate the quick response! Suby ppl are awesome
No problem. Imo it's one of the best mods I did. Rock solid, super quick spool, and.... That's it.

Worth having the adjustment made to your tune. Who is your tuner? Maybe they will make the couple of adjustments for you. They don't need your car on a Dyno or anything like it..... Real simple 5 minute deal.
PDXREALTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 10:32 PM   #911
scwb1987
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 490961
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: PHX
Vehicle:
2004 STI
Blu

Default new hybrid mbc/ebc method of boost control

Clark. I need to get some bigger injectors before he will make any adjustments. I can ask him though I suppose Iíve got romraider and access tuner and all that but I donít really want to mess with speed density***129488; As much reading on all these guys posts over the years, ya think ya would be able to figure it all out. One mistake and youíre rebuilding a block My car just sits in the garage cuz itís so hot most of the year to even do anything tuning wise. Itís kinda depressing lol

Last edited by scwb1987; 09-02-2018 at 10:56 PM.
scwb1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 10:49 PM   #912
PDXREALTOR
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 468393
Join Date: May 2017
Location: PDX OREGON
Vehicle:
2017 STI

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scwb1987 View Post
Clark. I need to get some bigger injectors before he will make any adjustments. I can ask him though I suppose Iíve got romraider and access tuner and all that but I donít really want to mess with speed density***129488; As much reading on all these guys posts over the years, ya think ya would be able to figure it all out. One mistake and your rebuilding a block My car just sits in the garage cuz itís so hot most of the year to even do anything tuning wise. Itís kinda depressing lol
I can tell you the exact changes to make. I'm SD too. Someone else can confirm my settings to make you feel confident. It's literally two tables/adjustments. Forget about changing boost just set it up so the MBC is controlling peak, which you can set just below your tuned peak, by say...... .25 psi.

That will eliminate your flutter and spool you quicker
PDXREALTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 01:41 PM   #913
chiptuner1
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 516674
Join Date: Jul 2020
Default 3 port solenoid

I use rallyart 3port very good


Quote:
Originally Posted by Si2WRX View Post
Very impressive arrangement!

I would be very interested in running a setup like that, but partial throttle boost isn't a problem with 20G and FMIC.
chiptuner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 12:01 AM   #914
kalassynikoff
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 331907
Join Date: Sep 2012
Default

So I am tuned via open source and my pro tune is pretty good. I would like to add an mbc for hybrid boost as I live in an environment that gets really cold and changes elevation a lot. What exactly do I need to modify on my tune. I have rom raider and a tactrix. I do understand that maybe I would need to change some values to 100 percent waste gate right?
kalassynikoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 01:20 AM   #915
NSFW
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 140444
Join Date: Feb 2007
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Near Seattle, WA
Vehicle:
05 Stage Free LGT
ATP 3076, 6MT, AVO FMIC

Default

It depends what you're trying to achieve. If you just want to use the MBC to mitigate the risk of over-boosting, you could change nothing in the ECU. Just increase the MBC until it stops limiting your boost, and you're done.

And then work on the IAT and barometric pressure compensation tables so you won't have to rely on the MBC.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 03:35 PM   #916
kalassynikoff
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 331907
Join Date: Sep 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFW View Post
It depends what you're trying to achieve. If you just want to use the MBC to mitigate the risk of over-boosting, you could change nothing in the ECU. Just increase the MBC until it stops limiting your boost, and you're done.

And then work on the IAT and barometric pressure compensation tables so you won't have to rely on the MBC.
That's the plan. I live in an extremely variable environment so the threat of overboost is pretty common. In theory could I just put the MBC inline between the wastegate and the ebcs? To just limit that.
kalassynikoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 10:44 PM   #917
NSFW
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 140444
Join Date: Feb 2007
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Near Seattle, WA
Vehicle:
05 Stage Free LGT
ATP 3076, 6MT, AVO FMIC

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalassynikoff View Post
That's the plan. I live in an extremely variable environment so the threat of overboost is pretty common. In theory could I just put the MBC inline between the wastegate and the ebcs? To just limit that.

The MBC goes in parallel with the EBCS. Whichever one opens first allows pressure to reach the actuator and open the wastegate.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 02:22 PM   #918
kalassynikoff
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 331907
Join Date: Sep 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFW View Post
The MBC goes in parallel with the EBCS. Whichever one opens first allows pressure to reach the actuator and open the wastegate.
Excellent. Thanks. I think I understand now. I have been reading up on all of this so I know what I am doing.
kalassynikoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 03:11 PM   #919
ciper
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 15543
Join Date: Feb 2002
Vehicle:
555 Having a Subaru
shop means too many cars

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFW View Post
The MBC goes in parallel with the EBCS. Whichever one opens first allows pressure to reach the actuator and open the wastegate.
Does the mage of this setup still exist in the thread? I looked through many pages and eventually skipped to the end since they were all dead

Last edited by ciper; 09-08-2021 at 05:36 PM.
ciper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 05:35 PM   #920
ciper
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 15543
Join Date: Feb 2002
Vehicle:
555 Having a Subaru
shop means too many cars

Default

Is this right? With no restriction pill or check valve?

ciper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 06:25 PM   #921
ether947
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 297799
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Knoxville, TN
Vehicle:
2003 WRX
EJ207 version 8

Default

Here you go.
ether947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 08:30 PM   #922
benflynn
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 515308
Join Date: Jun 2020
Default

So we are using the mbc as a pop off valve limiting max boost, but any increase in spool is from being more aggressive with the ebc. I thought the mbc was before the solinoid, set just below max boost, using the mbc for spool and ebc for max boost. I donít have boost spike to fix tho. MBC is fastest spool, cause the ebc never goes 100%.
benflynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 08:54 PM   #923
yamahaSHO
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 73932
Join Date: Nov 2004
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Denver
Vehicle:
2005 STi EFR 6758
04 S2000 EFR 7064

Default

It's a parallel system. MBC is just a cap and when you go WOT, it is 100% MBC.

EBCS takes some dialing in. Just saying you want 100% will make a lot of peak boost.
yamahaSHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 08:54 PM   #924
yamahaSHO
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 73932
Join Date: Nov 2004
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Denver
Vehicle:
2005 STi EFR 6758
04 S2000 EFR 7064

Default

Double Post
yamahaSHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 09:04 PM   #925
no694terry
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 220816
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Vehicle:
2018 Exotruck

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by benflynn View Post
So we are using the mbc as a pop off valve limiting max boost, but any increase in spool is from being more aggressive with the ebc. I thought the mbc was before the solinoid, set just below max boost, using the mbc for spool and ebc for max boost. I donít have boost spike to fix tho. MBC is fastest spool, cause the ebc never goes 100%.
They run parallel like a river splitting around an island. Think of the MBC as the primary but the EBC as another door. Once boost hits you can go down other side to limit boost. You typically set the wgdc to 95+% in areas you want the MBC to be in charge. The beauty of the system is that your ECU can still use the EBC to do boost per gear or knock activated boost limits. I have actually never used the hybrid method. My tube now is setup to increase boost towards redline which a MBC in the mix won't allow. I do this to flatten the torque curve , easier on the head studs and bottom end, but I can still make good power up top where torques lower
no694terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What kind of boost control solenoid/boost controller is this? roninsoldier83 Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.5L Turbo) 3 10-01-2007 10:24 PM
If the pill is your primary method of birth control, learn from my mistake George71 Off-Topic 59 03-15-2005 12:00 PM
mbc/ebc and peak boost in lower gears? chrisfranklin Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.5L Turbo) 2 08-02-2004 09:29 PM
Joe P. MBC XZ Turbo Manual Boost Controller (ebay no reserve) lstepnio Private 'For Sale' Classifieds 0 03-22-2004 06:43 PM
Need Help: An analysis of boost control methods smiles Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.0L Turbo) 16 01-07-2002 03:12 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2024 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission
Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.