Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday September 21, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Car Audio, Video & Security

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 09-03-2019, 01:15 PM   #1
vlad11591
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 295970
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2019 STI
CWP

Default 2019 STI - are my speakers blown?

Just picked up a 2019 STI, and I feel like my speakers are blown already at 1k miles.....

I remember my 18 not being as bad, and I realize that the factory speakers are terrible. My 18 I wouldn't have the mid's highs be going in and out, and not have the bass completely drown out everything.

The bass drowns out most of any mid/high's and it sounds like whoever is singing/rapping is "underwater" I played with the EQ settings to put bass all the way down and no help.

Is the stock system really that terrible? Or is there an easy way to tell if I have blown speakers?

If they aren't blown and the stock system is really that bad, what can I do to get better sound? I'm not an audiophile of any kind, and just need something a bit better than stock. I do not want to change the head unit.

I've read changing out front speakers and amp would do the trick, but I'm also trying to stay under 500$. Possible?
vlad11591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2019, 01:42 PM   #2
MAD WRX
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 472279
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
Ice Silver Metallic

Check out the Kicker Speaker / Tweeter upgrades. Those with an after market head unit made a big difference in my 15' base.
MAD WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 01:53 PM   #3
vlad11591
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2019 STI
CWP

yea not trying to really change the headunit.

I'm thinking my speakers from factory might be blown... The sound goes in and out, with the bass drowning out most of the sound.
Old 09-03-2019, 02:05 PM   #4
WRXnick16
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 447898
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2016 WRX (traded)
2019 STI CWP

The stock speakers could be worse, but the tweeters are terrible.

I swapped out the tweeters on my '19 STI with the "Kicker upgrade" (H631SFJ101) and it made a huge difference in sound quality. Things actually sound clear now. It was definitely worth the $90.
WRXnick16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 03:22 PM   #5
vlad11591
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2019 STI
CWP

After a couple of hours of research I came out with some solutions

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_206DSC...04.html?tp=105

These speakers seem good enough for the amp I'm planning on purchasing.

https://www.subaruparts.com/oem-part...g0LWdhcw%3D%3D

couldn't find any tweeters that fit on crutch field so I'll just go right from Subaru.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_206KEY...-KEY180-4.html

This has built in DSP, and enough power probably for what I'm looking for nothing crazy.

Question is.... installation. Not the best with electrical. It took me quite some time to splice wires correctly for the DRL C-light mod for reference. The speakers should be relatively easy to install I'm assuming. The amp however, should be done professionally? How difficult for install? I'm assuming tweeters are pretty simple to install as well.

Anyone else have input on better set-ups for less? This comes out to be about 340$ all together.
Old 09-04-2019, 03:53 PM   #6
WRXnick16
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 447898
Vehicle:
2016 WRX (traded)
2019 STI CWP

My suggestion would be to purchase each part individually and upgrade in this order if you're still unhappy:
  1. Tweeters
  2. Amp (see below)
  3. Door speakers
I purchased the tweeters and amp at the same time and ended up selling the amp because I was satisfied enough with the sound quality after installing just the tweeters due to the improvements of the '19 head unit. I'm not an audiophile by any means, so I'm sure the amp would still significantly improve the sound quality. I'm just the kind of person that would rather hear the engine/exhaust than the stereo.

One of the most popular amp upgrades for the stock head unit is the Alpine KTP-445U Power Pack Amplifier & SVXDC's harness. The harness will work for any 2015+ WRX/STI with the base head unit (not the harman kardon unit from the limited). The harness will prevent you from having to cut/splice the OEM harness. You can get both for ~$160.

Alpine KTP-445U Amp: https://www.amazon.com/Alpine-KTP-44.../dp/B003VVYL46
SVXDC's harness: http://ae64.com/10-6-pincombinedharness.htm
WRXnick16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 04:23 PM   #7
vlad11591
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2019 STI
CWP

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXnick16 View Post
My suggestion would be to purchase each part individually and upgrade in this order if you're still unhappy:
  1. Tweeters
  2. Amp (see below)
  3. Door speakers
I purchased the tweeters and amp at the same time and ended up selling the amp because I was satisfied enough with the sound quality after installing just the tweeters due to the improvements of the '19 head unit. I'm not an audiophile by any means, so I'm sure the amp would still significantly improve the sound quality. I'm just the kind of person that would rather hear the engine/exhaust than the stereo.

One of the most popular amp upgrades for the stock head unit is the Alpine KTP-445U Power Pack Amplifier & SVXDC's harness. The harness will work for any 2015+ WRX/STI with the base head unit (not the harman kardon unit from the limited). The harness will prevent you from having to cut/splice the OEM harness. You can get both for ~$160.

Alpine KTP-445U Amp: https://www.amazon.com/Alpine-KTP-44.../dp/B003VVYL46
SVXDC's harness: http://ae64.com/10-6-pincombinedharness.htm
But the Kicker key has the built in DSP which helps with the EQ and sound quality for a bit more. I'll definitely have to buy the harness.

I'll look into the tweeters and possibly the front speakers and see if I'm satisfied with that. I'm not looking for amazing sound quality, but I swear the stock speakers are worse than the 18 was. Not sure why. I don't think I need the rear as I barely have anyone in the rear seats anyways. If I get an amp that should help the rear be amplified.
Old 09-05-2019, 09:36 AM   #8
vlad11591
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2019 STI
CWP

anyone else have any input?
Old 09-05-2019, 10:23 AM   #9
Ar0d
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 505733

May not be super helpful. But I put in these in my 17 and they made a NIGHT/DAY difference!! I mean wayyyyyyy louder. It changed the way the whole audio sounded.

https://www.amazon.com/Kicker-46CSC3...sr=1-6-catcorr
Ar0d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 10:58 AM   #10
vlad11591
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2019 STI
CWP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ar0d View Post
May not be super helpful. But I put in these in my 17 and they made a NIGHT/DAY difference!! I mean wayyyyyyy louder. It changed the way the whole audio sounded.

https://www.amazon.com/Kicker-46CSC3...sr=1-6-catcorr
these aren't OEM fitment though right? So I would probably have to get some mounts? Did you have to splice any wires?
Old 09-05-2019, 11:07 AM   #11
Ar0d
Scooby Newbie

I had to do some minor trimming but the plastic is so thin it made it super easy. I used the factory wires and tapped into them. I am one of those people who cannot stand bad audio in a vehicle. Drives me nuts!
Old 09-05-2019, 11:13 AM   #12
vlad11591
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2019 STI
CWP

yea see I'm about as mechanically inclined as changing oil/doing brakes.

I'm not going to dremel out anything or tap into any wires. That's why I was going to get the kicker tweeter kit. Despite being a bit more expensive, it's at least plug and play for the less mechanically inclined

The speakers seem pretty easy... I know I can get something probably better for cheaper, but then I have to spend time tapping into those wires which probably doesn't take that long, but idk how long I plan to keep the car either.

Anyone have experience with the kicker key?
Old 09-05-2019, 11:47 AM   #13
Ar0d
Scooby Newbie

No worries just thought id throw my two cents. good luck!
Old 09-10-2019, 01:34 PM   #14
vlad11591
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2019 STI
CWP

just spoke with some audio tech guy, and he said running the alpine power pack, i'll need the DSP for the STI.

Is that confirmed? I've read people run that setup without DSP numerous times. I'm leaning towards kicker key since it has built in DSP.

Estimates for installation seems to be around $250-$300. Is that expected? Seems pretty steep for an AMP install. How hard is it to do yourself?
Old 09-13-2019, 07:06 PM   #15
fishfangs
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 425438
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
ISM

In my experience blown speakers have buzzed when there is no audio playing but the HU is on, and they sounded torn/rattley when audio was playing.

I was looking for the same thing in my setup (better vocal range) and the setup ended up being Headunit and the kicker tweeters. Tweeter install is easy and you would just need a short screwdriver and some trim pry tools.

Since you don't want to change the headunit, just start with the tweeters and go from there. The tweeter alone already makes a huge difference in clarity

This thread is also pretty helpful:
https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho....php?t=2820359
fishfangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 02:08 AM   #16
moon123
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 506358
Vehicle:
2015 Toyota GLI 1.3
Sliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlad11591 View Post
Just picked up a 2019 STI, and I feel like my speakers are blown already at 1k miles.....

I remember my 18 not being as bad, and I realize that the factory speakers are terrible. My 18 I wouldn't have the mid's highs be going in and out, and not have the bass completely drown out everything.

The bass drowns out most of any mid/high's and it sounds like whoever is singing/rapping is "underwater" I played with the EQ settings to put bass all the way down and no help.

Is the stock system really that terrible? Or is there an easy way to tell if I have blown speakers?

If they aren't blown and the stock system is really that bad, what can I do to get better sound? I'm not an audiophile of any kind, and just need something a bit better than stock. I do not want to change the head unit.

I've read changing out front speakers and amp would do the trick, but I'm also trying to stay under 500$. Possible?
Capricorn is a member based organisation proudly operating to make it easier for more than 21000 members to run and grow their automotive businesses in Australia. They are real or fake?
moon123 is offline   Reply With Quote