Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday September 20, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 02-20-2016, 03:28 AM   #1
Jaywal94
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 440216
Vehicle:
2008 Impreza OBS
Silver

Default Squeaky throw out bearing. help please

Hey everyone!
2008 Impreza outback sport

Brief story. Last year my throw out bearing and clutch went. So I took it to the local mechanic and had them fix it. After I got it back. I noticed a squeaking coming from the throw out bearing. The sound would modulate depending on the clutch being pressed.

Called the mechanic they apologized. Refixed it for a discounted cost (hate that I paid them again)

They fixed it.. Then! 2 months later the freaking squeaks come back!! It's been the same ever since. The squeak happens while the clutch is not being pressed in. After about 1" or less of pressing it goes away (just before the clutch engages)

Whyyyy? What's the issue? How can I make it go away?

Thanks!
Jaywal94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2016, 07:29 AM   #2
Humphrizzle
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 439576

Replace throw out bearing with quality parts and use a competent subaru service technician for the work.
Humphrizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 05:16 PM   #3
edin
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 441283

Did they say what was wrong with it the first time? Just do the same... but better.
edin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 07:27 PM   #4
CarJunky1992
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 440489
Default clutch fork

Multiple people have had this issue and all I have to say is CLUTCH FORK.

Ok look under your hood and locate the clutch fork/slave cylinder. Remove the clutch fork boot and see if it's dirty - if it is chances are that whoever replaced the clutch didn't clean/grease the contact point at the bottom where the clutch fork sits on the guide sleeve (little ball- kind of like a pivot point) . If that's the case you CAN find a way to grease that part of your clutch system however I'd be really careful cause any grease that gets on your clutch can potentially shorten its life and you'll be needing a new clutch real REAL soon.

Another (much easier) fix would be to look at the clutch fork/slave cylinder contact point. If your slave is old like mine was it probably has a little bit of rust on it and the vibration of the engine/transmission causes the fork to move causing the "chirping" sounds. Wanna fix it? Buy some high temp grease and apply it to the contact point where the fork/slave rod meets. This should stop the noise from happening.

If you really want to get crafty you can make your own return spring and have your clutch fork "slightly" pull up against the slave so that the vibration won't move the fork and the chirping goes away. This return spring HAS to be precise meaning it can't tug too hard against the fork or you'll be needing a new slave too as the excess force needed will cause it to wear faster. This is a common issue and I had the same issue with my impreza 2.5I.

IT IS NOT YOUR THROW OUT BEARING - A BAD THROW OUT BEARING WOULD CHIRP REGARDLESS OF THE PEDAL BEING DEPRESSED/NOT DEPRESSED.

Last edited by CarJunky1992; 03-03-2016 at 09:25 AM. Reason: error in spelling
CarJunky1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 04:00 PM   #5
carlskelton
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 413352
Vehicle:
2014 WRX
DGM

I had the exact same symptom and behavior as Jaywal94.

- 2014 WRX Hatch w/31,000 miles -

Followed CarJunky1992's advice of cleaning and re-greasing the indentation in the clutch fork that accepts the slave cylinder rod end, but the squeak persisted. I removed the dust boot and used an acid brush to apply grease to the clutch fork pivot point. (Ended up being a little messier than I would have liked since it's a tight fit) After re-installing the slave cylinder and depressing/releasing the clutch pedal a couple dozen times to get the grease into the joint - the squeak is now gone.
carlskelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 11:30 AM   #6
Cheecher04
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 468796

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlskelton View Post
I had the exact same symptom and behavior as Jaywal94.

- 2014 WRX Hatch w/31,000 miles -

Followed CarJunky1992's advice of cleaning and re-greasing the indentation in the clutch fork that accepts the slave cylinder rod end, but the squeak persisted. I removed the dust boot and used an acid brush to apply grease to the clutch fork pivot point. (Ended up being a little messier than I would have liked since it's a tight fit) After re-installing the slave cylinder and depressing/releasing the clutch pedal a couple dozen times to get the grease into the joint - the squeak is now gone.
carl, I had to replace my 2015 WRX clutch. I went with the ACT clutch that my tuner recommended. I had a local shop do it, and roughly 2 months later I started noticing that godawful chirping. Sweet Jesus its driving me insane! So like everyone else I thought it was the push rod from the slave cylinder where it meets the fork. I tried grease, heat shrink around the fork etc. Still had that godforsaken chirp. I contacted ACT asking about the bearing, and after a good conversation with them, they said they would replace the bearing under warranty, but wanted to make sure it was the bearing first. So they sent me some instructions on how to adjust the clutch pedal.

I was positive this would do the trick, because I noticed that when I would depress the clutch pedal about 4 inches down the chirp went away.
Well, my buddy came over and we adjusted the clutch pedal exactly as directed and everything was now in factory spec. This made me wonder why the shop didn't adjust the pedal, or even make a comment about it.?

Anyway, the chirp is still there

After poking around and doing some more digging, I have come to the conclusion that the bearing is fine, and that the problem is exactly as you say at the clutch fork pivot, and a lack of grease there.

I am wondering (begging) if you could give some more detail about your process for greasing the pivot point?
This will be the next thing I try and I want to solve this issue once and for all.

Thanks so much man!
Cheecher04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 01:35 PM   #7
Cheecher04
Scooby Newbie

Clutch fork pivot it is. Thanks CarJunky1992, and carlskelton!

I pulled off the slave cylinder and the clutch fork boot, then took a long wooden Q tip with some red grease and just swabbed some grease in the indention where the clutch fork meets the pivot. After putting everything back and cranking the car... NO SQUEAK.
I wanted to run around the block I was so excited.

I want to send the video of my car running with no squeaking to the Subaru dealership that said I needed a new clutch, and the shop that said I needed a new throwout bearing.

Extremely simple fix, and even if the squeak comes back, Iíll just swab a little more grease down there.

Makes me wonder why Subaru hasnít come up with a better design for the clutch fork and pivot that captured grease for that point? My buddy brought the idea up.

Needless to say in the future I will be upgrading the clutch fork and pivot.
Iím kicking myself for not thinking to do that when I replaced the clutch.
You live and learn.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:37 PM   #8
Cheecher04
Scooby Newbie

Clutch fork pivot it is. Thanks CarJunky1992, and carlskelton!

I pulled off the slave cylinder and the clutch fork boot, then took a long wooden Q tip with some red grease and just swabbed some grease in the indention where the clutch fork meets the pivot. After putting everything back and cranking the car... NO SQUEAK.
I wanted to run around the block I was so excited.

I want to send the video of my car running with no squeaking to the Subaru dealership that said I needed a new clutch, and the shop that said I needed a new throwout bearing.

Extremely simple fix, and even if the squeak comes back, Iíll just swab a little more grease down there.

Makes me wonder why Subaru hasnít come up with a better design for the clutch fork and pivot that captured grease for that point? My buddy brought the idea up.

Needless to say in the future I will be upgrading the clutch fork and pivot.
Iím kicking myself for not thinking to do that when I replaced the clutch.
You live and learn.