Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday February 23, 2020
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.0L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-18-2019, 08:47 PM   #1
drtofu
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 112799
Default Identifying a leak - 2002 WRX Impreza Wagon

Hi all, I have a 2002 Impreza WRX with a leak that I’m trying to identify and repair… perhaps you can help!

At stop lights, I’ve been seeing white smoke coming from under my hood and there’s an acrid, burnty smell — not what I’d call sweet — and it’s bad enough that I use recirculating air now to keep it out of the cabin.

I thought it was power steering fluid at first but not sure. What does ATF Dextron III smell like when it boils off?

I looked under the hood looking for wet spots and found this hose. The hose itself looks wet as is what’s underneath it (the wet stuff is actually grease and collected dirt — I just wiped some of it off). My guess is that it’s dripping onto something hot — can something perhaps be spraying onto this area, or drips boiling and condensing on these things? Any eagle-eyes know what this is?

(I already looked through the service manual but the line drawings are a bit hard to follow — wish there was an interactive point-and-click “what is this thing” on the web, you know?)

I took some pictures —*

https://i.imgur.com/7F1J1ZV.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/Hh0bAU9.jpg

Also, notice the white splatters? Coolant spray, right? Looking at the splatter pattern… Maybe it originates from this hose area — it might be from washing the car — perhaps it’s coming from somewhere else? It’s possible there are multiple things going on.

Hopefully it’s checking a spring clamp or some other easy repair!

Last edited by drtofu; 11-18-2019 at 10:20 PM.
drtofu is offline   Reply With Quote