Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Normally Aspirated Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 08-20-2018, 08:57 PM   #1
emusoda
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 211869
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2006 STI
Aspen White

Default Gates timing belt install issue. Belt too tight?

I am currently installing a timing belt on a 09 impreza 2.5. The customer brought me the standard gates kit with water pump that I've used in the past. My issue is the belt seems too tight. I've tried all different configurations from having different pulleys on with it to not having any and installing as I go. I cant get the belt around both cams, and both cog wheels. Its as if this is a stretch belt and its a quarter inch too short. Anyone else have an issue with this?
emusoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2018, 09:24 PM   #2
Charlie-III
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 30669
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

Ummmmm.....no, I have done quite a few timing belt installs on Subaru 2.2 and 2.5 (Sohc and DOHC) with Gates kits.
I would hope you are installing the belt with the tensioner off?

Where in NJ are you?
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:27 PM   #3
shtfuq
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 456175

Maybe keep everything loose and try and slip the belt on before torquing down? That’s the only time I’ve heard of that issue coming up. What timing belt do you have? Should be a 13028AA231
shtfuq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:36 PM   #4
emusoda
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 211869
Vehicle:
2006 STI
Aspen White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Ummmmm.....no, I have done quite a few timing belt installs on Subaru 2.2 and 2.5 (Sohc and DOHC) with Gates kits.
I would hope you are installing the belt with the tensioner off?

Where in NJ are you?
I'm in Denville. I tried both with and without the tensioner on. The pin is still in it

Quote:
Originally Posted by shtfuq View Post
Maybe keep everything loose and try and slip the belt on before torquing down? That's the only time I've heard of that issue coming up. What timing belt do you have? Should be a 13028AA231
I'm using the gates belt which is a 304. I just talked to a friend of mine who use to work on subarus quite a bit and he said the issue I'm having is common with gates belts. He's advising me to use a oem subaru belt.

I found the same problem on youtube. Go to 6:40 on the video

Last edited by emusoda; 08-20-2018 at 10:07 PM.
emusoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 10:29 PM   #5
Charlie-III
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 30669
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

A belt is a belt, it is either correct or not. I am not far away (I used to work in Rockaway). Look up Garden State Subaru or Subaru Mechanics (I believe both are both on FacePalm....err...Facebook), my son lives near you and has worked with me many times. I believe he is on both. Staff on one. I emailed him the link to this thread so he has a heads up.
I have no good way to get to you unless you come to 07456 and fetch and then bring me back home.

You will NOT get the belt on with the tensioner in......period.....
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 07:43 PM   #6
IanT-EJ22
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 477892
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2000 Impreza Wagon
Silver

Theres a process to getting the timing belt on there. Its a matter of order and patience. When I did mine ('00 EJ222) I started on the crank sprocket (there is a mark on the 304 belts for the timing mark on the crank sprocket (sort of a checkered white line), start by placing the belt on with the timing mark of the belt aligned with the timing mark on the crank sprocket. Next the left cam (driver's side-bank 2) I used a binder clip to hold the belt on. There is also a timing mark on the belt for the cam timing mark, use it, this will allow for proper clearance between the belt and tensioner when the time comes (the marks should align allowing the proper amount of "slack" for the tensioner). Next the water pump, followed by the lower idler (the toothed one) followed by the 2nd lower idler (the smooth one) then install the belt around the bank 1/passengers side cam and then the final idler (the one to the left of the crank sprocket) and finally install the tensioner. Its black magic stuff man lol. You always want to have a head and hand on where the belt was and where it needs to go. Follow the right order and you should be good. Here is a pic of the sequence I used:
http://funkyimg.com/view/2KCVc
IanT-EJ22 is offline   Reply With Quote