Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday March 19, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Interior & Exterior Modification

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-07-2009, 05:44 PM   #1
Mr.Durden
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 203652
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
2009 Impreza 2.5i
Satin white

Lightbulb DIY: Painting tail lights Impreza 08-09 5 door

I take no responsibility if anything happens, diy are always to use at your own risk.

Alright, after looking around for some vinyl to put on my tail lights and found that it was almost impossible for me to find this weekend, I decided to paint the lights instead. To begin with, you will need:

-Flat screwdriver
-Ratchet
-10mm socket
-8mm socket
-Extension for ratchet
-Painters tape
-Exacto knife
-Stained glass paint (Can be found in hardware stores)

First you start by removing the 2 screws for the outer tail lights. When those are removed, you slide the light towards you.

Once the outer tail lights are removed you can remove the inner ones. By using the 8mm socket remove the screws located on the side of the lights when you open the trunk.(forgot to take a picture) After those 2 screws are removed, you need to remove the interior panel of the hatch. You will need to pull hard in order to remove the cover, don't worry you wont break anything.

Once the panel removed the last bolt for the inner tail lights is located next to the reverse light bulb, make sure to not drop the bolt.

All lights removed.

Now for the paint, cover the blinker and reverse part with painters tape. Make the contour with exacto knife. All of this is pretty straight forward. Take the spray paint and paint the lights... You can put as many coats as you want to achieve the tint of your choice, you can also add some clear to protect even more. Once everything is dry, reassemble everything.

Hope all of this was of any help sorry if some steps were skipped, this is my first written diy.

Last edited by Mr.Durden; 03-07-2009 at 06:14 PM.
Mr.Durden is offline   Reply With Quote