Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday December 13, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > General Community

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2017, 02:41 PM   #51
mattjb
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 10762
Join Date: Oct 2001
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Bainbridge Island, WA
Vehicle:
2018 WRX STI
Lapis Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcoughaguy View Post
Oh dude, I had no idea you swapped the wheels/tires already. You might want to have them do an out of round test on those things. Just because it balances on a machine doesn't mean they're actually balanced with road force being applied to them.

Do you notice a certain speed it happens at? Under braking? acceleration only?
I'm seeing similar. Just finished a 1000mi drive in one day from Seattle to San Francisco. Here's what I observed

shaking was always at it's worse when
- less than 1/4 fuel
- smoother roads
- 80-85 mph

Full tank of gas, 80mph, "normal" roads was noticeable shaking in steering wheel. Freshly paved roads and low fuel-- holy cow its bad!

Going into dealer when I get back.

I'm running 18" STI wheels with continentals at the moment.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
mattjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 10-28-2017, 02:58 PM   #52
Homeless Junkie
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 471630
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Baltimore MD
Vehicle:
2018 STi, ZL1 1LE
2500 Cummins

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjb View Post
I'm seeing similar. Just finished a 1000mi drive in one day from Seattle to San Francisco. Here's what I observed

shaking was always at it's worse when
- less than 1/4 fuel
- smoother roads
- 80-85 mph

Full tank of gas, 80mph, "normal" roads was noticeable shaking in steering wheel. Freshly paved roads and low fuel-- holy cow its bad!

Going into dealer when I get back.

I'm running 18" STI wheels with continentals at the moment.
Could you flip your switch to Auto - and let me know if that makes it better?

Good luck at the dealer. Let us know what happens!

Last edited by Homeless Junkie; 10-28-2017 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Changed you to me
Homeless Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 05:04 PM   #53
mattjb
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 10762
Join Date: Oct 2001
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Bainbridge Island, WA
Vehicle:
2018 WRX STI
Lapis Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeless Junkie View Post
Could you flip your switch to Auto - and let me know if that makes it better?

Good luck at the dealer. Let us know what happens!
Sorry, should've mentioned that I was in Auto- the whole time. Will try different settings on the drive back to see if anything changes. 2018 has the all electronic controlled diff, wondered if that might be related...
mattjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 03:00 PM   #54
Sarcoughaguy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 472039
Join Date: Jul 2017
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Houston, Tx
Vehicle:
2018 STi Limited
LBP

Default

It's odd that you guys are experiencing that. I'm still on the stock 19's and have had no issues at all. From 0 all the way to 130 - no noticeable shaking at all. Makes me wonder if it has anything to do with the wheels itself. Could be clearance? Maybe the airflow characteristics cause a vibration that the 19's don't? Put the stockers back on there and see if it goes away at the same speed/style of driving that was done before?

Hopefully you guys get it figured out though. I know that can be frustrating
Sarcoughaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 11:07 PM   #55
FamilyGuy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 427974
Join Date: Aug 2015
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcoughaguy View Post
Thanks for that, gonna go back and bitch them out now. I guess I got a bad set. I can see directly underneath the liner every time I get into my car. Gonna pull them out again and see if I can bend them into shape like they suggested
Pretty sure you have a bad set as mine fit very snug.

For others, no issue with any vibration or misalignment at speed. Snowed here last night and I had just put on the snows. Good God this thing has traction.
FamilyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 05:57 AM   #56
Rikard1
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 477194
Join Date: Nov 2017
Default

2018 STI from Oz. Sorry for the long post.

I thought I was the only one having steering/alignment issues. My issues are/were:

- Car pulled to the left (and remember we drive on the left)
- Had to hold the wheel to the right to maintain straight direction.
- Steering wheel not centred, turned slightly to the left and therefore lock to lock it turns more towards the left than towards the right.
- Steering to the left feels a bit ‘lumpy’ whereas steering to the right feels smoother.
- Steering and front suspension feels different everyday. Sometimes tight, sometimes a little loose.
- Sometimes at highway speeds I get vibration through the steering wheel, not so much a shake, more like vibration.

So I took it back and got it aligned, the toes and cambers were way off. Aligning it all fixed the pulling but that’s about it.

It’s not the tyres because I put my set of forged STI 18s on and they were the same (they’re heaps lighter mind you).

I will take the steering wheel off and put it back on one tooth to the right to centre it.

To me it feels like poor QC during manufacture like they installed the rack slightly turned or the steering wheel slightly turned and subsequent aligning was therefore flawed. Heck, maybe one of the bushes has failed already or there’s a nut loose. I’d love to see how these cars get put together.

I might just bring forward my coilover plans and then I’ll know for sure it’s all straight. Either way I’ll be jacking it up and having a good look and checking all the nuts and bolts.
Rikard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 07:57 AM   #57
aggarcia
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 330146
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Houston, Texas
Vehicle:
2018 STI Limited
Pure Red

Default 2018 WRX STI - Issues

2018 STI Limiter 3.5 K picked up August. Only issue was went through 2x pints in 2K miles of power steering fluid. Turned out copper seal on pressure hose was defective. Replaced seal under warranty. No pulling, car alignment perfect, no rattles or other noises present. Typical STI items - lots of brake dust- at least wheels are dark color but new calipers need cleaning and you drive it fast the gas mileage reflects that. Having fun with my 3rd STI.
aggarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 02:52 PM   #58
Rikard1
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 477194
Join Date: Nov 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggarcia View Post
2018 STI Limiter 3.5 K picked up August. Only issue was went through 2x pints in 2K miles of power steering fluid. Turned out copper seal on pressure hose was defective. Replaced seal under warranty. No pulling, car alignment perfect, no rattles or other noises present. Typical STI items - lots of brake dust- at least wheels are dark color but new calipers need cleaning and you drive it fast the gas mileage reflects that. Having fun with my 3rd STI.

Oh yeah the brake dust. Will definitely be replacing with low dust pads when they need changing. I got my wheels painted gloss black and after a few days they look like the original grey again!
Rikard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 11:50 AM   #59
STIngerz
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 477292
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Dallas, TX
Vehicle:
2018 WRX STI
WR Blue Pearl

Cool

I have had my 2018 STI for 9 days now, the only thing I have noticed is about an inch long scratch in the bottom of the steering wheel.

The car does veer off to the right very slowly if I don't hold the steering wheel, maybe I should take it in to double check alignment? I didn't even notice it was doing this until after reading this thread lol
STIngerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 01:16 PM   #60
aggarcia
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 330146
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Houston, Texas
Vehicle:
2018 STI Limited
Pure Red

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by STIngerz View Post
I have had my 2018 STI for 9 days now, the only thing I have noticed is about an inch long scratch in the bottom of the steering wheel.

The car does veer off to the right very slowly if I don't hold the steering wheel, maybe I should take it in to double check alignment? I didn't even notice it was doing this until after reading this thread lol


Check that all tires have correct air pressure.
aggarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 06:34 PM   #61
STIngerz
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 477292
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Dallas, TX
Vehicle:
2018 WRX STI
WR Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggarcia View Post
Check that all tires have correct air pressure.

Yes, that could totally be the cause... I will check it ASAP.
STIngerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:18 PM   #62
kamikaze158
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 475661
Join Date: Oct 2017
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2018 WRX STI
Pure Red

Default

Mine would veer off to the right when I let go of the steering wheel. Took it to the dealer to inspect the alignment. Alignment was off. So, they adjusted and corrected. Car still pulled to the right but not as much as before. They rotated the tires, Now cars goes straight. Steering input feels way more responsive and car feels more nimble.

hope this helps
kamikaze158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 06:20 PM   #63
Rikard1
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 477194
Join Date: Nov 2017
Default

Is everyone’s steering equal lock to lock?

I get more turn towards the left than towards the right ...this is STI by the way with the hydraulic power steering.


Last edited by Rikard1; 11-10-2017 at 06:26 PM.
Rikard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 01:50 PM   #64
Dubyarx13
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 472088
Join Date: Aug 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbobborg View Post
I picked up my 18 WRX 6MT Premium with Performance Package last night. The only annoyance right now (besides the standard 15+ ones) is shifting out of reverse takes more effort than it did with my 17 WRX Premium. No squeaks or rattles yet.
What in God's name would possess you to trade in a 17 WRX for an 18? You had to have the hideous front black bumper?
Dubyarx13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 11:32 AM   #65
STIngerz
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 477292
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Dallas, TX
Vehicle:
2018 WRX STI
WR Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikard1 View Post
Is everyone’s steering equal lock to lock?

I get more turn towards the left than towards the right ...this is STI by the way with the hydraulic power steering.

I checked mine to see if I had the same behavior, and while I doubt it is perfectly the same for both sides, it isn't noticeably off like yours. I would say bring it up to your dealership
STIngerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 04:31 PM   #66
Dimiperiv34
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 365119
Join Date: Aug 2013
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Chicago,IL
Vehicle:
2018 WRX STI
Lapis Blue Pearl

Default

Brought my STI in a few weeks ago for pulling left. They made adjustments with an alignment, and for a day car didn’t pull. Was pulling to the left again after a day and I just put on my 18in winter setup and car now pulls hard right. Using 18in 2016-17 wrx premium wheels. Planning on taking it back tonight. Oh and discount tire managed to take a quarter size chip off my front driver side caliper ��
Dimiperiv34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 12:42 AM   #67
Sarcoughaguy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 472039
Join Date: Jul 2017
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Houston, Tx
Vehicle:
2018 STi Limited
LBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimiperiv34 View Post
Brought my STI in a few weeks ago for pulling left. They made adjustments with an alignment, and for a day car didn’t pull. Was pulling to the left again after a day and I just put on my 18in winter setup and car now pulls hard right. Using 18in 2016-17 wrx premium wheels. Planning on taking it back tonight. Oh and discount tire managed to take a quarter size chip off my front driver side caliper ��
Are they going to repair/replace it? Ask a dealer how much a replacement caliper is and try not to faint.
Sarcoughaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 11:24 AM   #68
STIngerz
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 477292
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Dallas, TX
Vehicle:
2018 WRX STI
WR Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcoughaguy View Post
Are they going to repair/replace it? Ask a dealer how much a replacement caliper is and try not to faint.
I was wondering the same thing... they better fix their damage, I would have thrown the biggest fit if that happened to me, omg I don't even want to think about it... I might never go to discount tire again after reading this...
STIngerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 05:29 PM   #69
Sarcoughaguy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 472039
Join Date: Jul 2017
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Houston, Tx
Vehicle:
2018 STi Limited
LBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by STIngerz View Post
I was wondering the same thing... they better fix their damage, I would have thrown the biggest fit if that happened to me, omg I don't even want to think about it... I might never go to discount tire again after reading this...
It's quite disappointing really because I just dropped some money for their road hazard warranty on my new tires. Now I'm also worried that they're going to scratch the crap out of my wheels. I'll need to take pictures and talk to the manager to have them pay for any damages done to them before they even touch them.

Just FYI, replacing pads and rotors on the 18 costs about $2,000. Those calipers look a lot more expensive $$$$
Sarcoughaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 01:44 PM   #70
Rizzy 18 STI
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 478065
Join Date: Nov 2017
Default Balance/Alignment Issue..

Getting frustrated here- 18 STi 500 miles on car. Right from the start I noticed a vibration in rear passenger side wheel at ~48-60 mph. I brought the car into dealer and they acknowledged the vibration, then removed wheel and re balanced and stated it required an additional 1/4 oz weight.

I drove home and it felt better but thought any vibration was in my head. Drove again the next day and still felt it a bit.

Winter wheels/tires came that day and decided to put them on to see if problem still exists. Well, it appears TireRack sent me tires balanced incorrectly bc now I am getting steering wheel vibration at 60-70 MPH. (18 inch yokohoma winters)

Bringing my car back in tomorrow to get the winter set up balanced correctly and also see if they can fix the rear passenger vibration. Alignment issue maybe? bad tire from Yokohama.
Rizzy 18 STI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 11:52 AM   #71
STIngerz
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 477292
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Dallas, TX
Vehicle:
2018 WRX STI
WR Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcoughaguy View Post
It's quite disappointing really because I just dropped some money for their road hazard warranty on my new tires. Now I'm also worried that they're going to scratch the crap out of my wheels. I'll need to take pictures and talk to the manager to have them pay for any damages done to them before they even touch them.

Just FYI, replacing pads and rotors on the 18 costs about $2,000. Those calipers look a lot more expensive $$$$
I would totally make sure they know you will hold them accountable for any damage they cause, if they are not willing to take that responsibility then run! I feel more comfortable having my dealer's maintenance dept do everything I need to my car... (I still keep an eye on them though...)
STIngerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 12:38 PM   #72
rtv900
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 428511
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: philadelphia
Vehicle:
2016 STI

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcoughaguy View Post
Just FYI, replacing pads and rotors on the 18 costs about $2,000. Those calipers look a lot more expensive $$$$
$2000? what?

I just did rotors/pads on my 16 and I used drilled rotors too and I think it cost around $500 or $600 all 4 wheels.

Do you mean Calipers too?
rtv900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 02:26 PM   #73
Sarcoughaguy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 472039
Join Date: Jul 2017
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Houston, Tx
Vehicle:
2018 STi Limited
LBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtv900 View Post
$2000? what?

I just did rotors/pads on my 16 and I used drilled rotors too and I think it cost around $500 or $600 all 4 wheels.

Do you mean Calipers too?
Nope, was definitely told about $2000. This of course is the dealer price, i'm sure we can find them cheaper elsewhere but for the sake of the argument of having someone mess them up, i'd rather have the dealer install that stuff.

The 18's with bigger rotors, which shouldn't be that much more expensive than the older models, the pads might be the culprit with dealer markup
Sarcoughaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 02:42 PM   #74
rtv900
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 428511
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: philadelphia
Vehicle:
2016 STI

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcoughaguy View Post
Nope, was definitely told about $2000. This of course is the dealer price, i'm sure we can find them cheaper elsewhere but for the sake of the argument of having someone mess them up, i'd rather have the dealer install that stuff.

The 18's with bigger rotors, which shouldn't be that much more expensive than the older models, the pads might be the culprit with dealer markup
wow that's a rip.
I mean I'm assuming the $2000 is including labor too. . . .I hope?
If not that is crazy.
My pads were something like $40 ish rear and maybe $50 front.
stoptech street performance
rtv900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 03:09 PM   #75
Sarcoughaguy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 472039
Join Date: Jul 2017
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Houston, Tx
Vehicle:
2018 STi Limited
LBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtv900 View Post
wow that's a rip.
I mean I'm assuming the $2000 is including labor too. . . .I hope?
If not that is crazy.
My pads were something like $40 ish rear and maybe $50 front.
stoptech street performance
Yeah, i'm probably gonna do some research this week to find out what the parts cost are.

And yes, these prices included labor
Sarcoughaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2018 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2017, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.