Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday December 10, 2017
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-15-2008, 06:45 PM   #1
mrcoder
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 93785
Vehicle:
2005 STI
White

Default Lab results of pressure drops for dirty AEM air filters

Figure 1 page 3
Pressure Drop (inches H20) versus Dust Retained (grams)

http://www.aempower.com/files/dryflo...coarsedust.pdf

and

http://www.aempower.com/files/dryflo...andcleaned.pdf

It occurs to me that AEM Dry Flow air filter users (myself included) can also use this chart to estimate their pressure drop on their dirty filter if it's too inconvenient to measure pressure drop directly. You can just weigh your filter before and after you clean it (and wait for it to dry before weighing).

Thank you AEM for testing your Dryflow filter at the independent lab, and also publishing the results!!!

Now notice that this is also very good information for the owners, not just the prospective purchasers.

FWIW Here's what I learned from this chart: If my air filter weight loss is greater than 60 grams after the next cleaning I give it, I am going to be cleaning it more often. Minimal pressure drops for me, if I can help it!

("Pressure drop" is another word for "flow restriction" if you are new. Pressure drops are baaaaad. Zero drop is gooood for car performance. You do like performance, don't you?)

Would be nice if more manufacturers also got their equipment tested like AEM did.

By the way, I am also sending props out to APS / Air Power Systems in Australia for testing (albeit themselves) and posting both their lab-measured pressure drops and sound pressure levels for their exhaust systems. Their pressure testing results is a big reason why I bought an APS exhaust system even though it was pretty expensive, rather than buying an exhaust from other companies. I have the R2 turbo-back, and it totally rocks. 88dba at the tip but same exact pressure drop as the R1 when cat is present, so R2 is quieter, and less likely to attract some fuzz, yet is every bit as powerful on the dyno (344 w/stock turbo, thanks to Hill @ Agile) as R1 on this application.

Extra kudos to AEM on the integrity meter for forking out the money to get the test done, by a different company (SWRI) rather than doing the test themselves.

SWRI is the company that AEM contracted to do the testing. SWRI also has some other interesting automotive testing articles on their web site also.

http://www.swri.org/3PUBS/D03.HTM
mrcoder is offline   Reply With Quote