Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday August 17, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Built Motor Discussion

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2012, 08:59 AM   #101
curtisboes
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 280395
Join Date: Apr 2011
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Jacksonville Florida
Vehicle:
04 WRX (STI Swap)
WRB

Default

I'm thinking about trading my stock wrx for a wrx hybrid setup and i would like anyone's opinion on the hybrid as i don't know to much about them...

Setup (from what i know)
Block-ej25
heads-ej20 heads (don't know if it has had chamber work done)
Tune- (custom by a local tuning shop,300hp?)
Injectors- yellow 550cc
Turbo-vf39 (18psi peak)

This is all just what the guy has told me


Motor has 80,XXX on it and still running good...

what are peoples thoughts? if i were to get this car i would put alot of highway miles on it but still have fun with it, i drive 100 miles a day to and from work
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
curtisboes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:39 PM   #102
LBell05STI
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 305890
Join Date: Jan 2012
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Tacoma, Wa
Vehicle:
2005 STI
WRB

Default

Never buy another mans project. Words I live by.
LBell05STI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:13 PM   #103
Purpose_Built
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 222879
Join Date: Sep 2009
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NJ
Vehicle:
2003 WRX 60-1/td06h
Hybrid/6spd

Default

Please keep this thread alive.
Purpose_Built is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:09 PM   #104
Maxwell Power
Former Vendor
 
Member#: 190729
Join Date: Oct 2008
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Marysville, WA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purpose_Built View Post
Please keep this thread alive.

why? Just build it right the first time and not worry about it.
Match the chambers to the STi chambers and you have no reason to ever come to this lame thread again.

I mean seriously, this thread should be titled:
OMG how many have had blown up hybrid builds? Because otherwise, what's the point? A properly built hybrid setup will be just as reliable as any other properly done build.

This thread should disappear.
Maxwell Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:15 PM   #105
DDScooby
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 161876
Join Date: Oct 2007
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Bristol, CT
Vehicle:
02 Impreza WRX
WRB

Default

2002 WRX
~5k miles since build; car itself <haha> 25X,XXXmiles
Set-up: EJ257 case
Nitride treated 2011 STi Crank
OEM 11mm oil pump
cosworth bearings
stock STi rods
CP Pistons 99.5mm (low compression)
OEM STi head gaskets
brand new 2.0l heads
machined at Larrys shop in Groton, CT -Ported to match 2.5l block; Kelford 272 cams, Cosworth valves, clips, springs...
OEM exhaust manifold
Ebay up-pipe (pinhole leak) replacing soon
VF22

Current status: running good -squeeky idler pulley on timing belt. (new timing set on order; OEM) Easy driving -unless I see a squirrel, then the gas pedal goes through the floor...I hate squirrels.
DDScooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:23 PM   #106
Purpose_Built
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 222879
Join Date: Sep 2009
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NJ
Vehicle:
2003 WRX 60-1/td06h
Hybrid/6spd

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell Power View Post
why? Just build it right the first time and not worry about it.
Match the chambers to the STi chambers and you have no reason to ever come to this lame thread again.

I mean seriously, this thread should be titled:
OMG how many have had blown up hybrid builds? Because otherwise, what's the point? A properly built hybrid setup will be just as reliable as any other properly done build.

This thread should disappear.
You are so cool. How did you get to be so cool? Is there a class? If you don't like something you always have the option of turning your head shutting the f up. People post in here so people must like this. I hope your arrogance puts you out of business.

None of my motors have blown, but it would be nice to know how many people have had issues with the stock chambers.
Purpose_Built is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 01:17 AM   #107
Maxwell Power
Former Vendor
 
Member#: 190729
Join Date: Oct 2008
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Marysville, WA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purpose_Built

You are so cool. How did you get to be so cool? Is there a class? If you don't like something you always have the option of turning your head shutting the f up. People post in here so people must like this. I hope your arrogance puts you out of business.

None of my motors have blown, but it would be nice to know how many people have had issues with the stock chambers.
You're the one who sent this to my PM box and posted it. Apparently you have cool and class down and don't need my help.

Who are you?
Why are you so freaked out?
There are thousands of people who would think that with my support of this community I don't deserve such treatment.

Why don't you provide some actual valid counter point as to the purpose of this thread instead of personal attacks?

Don't worry, though, after you and I have figured this out, I will unsubscribe to this thread that you apparently love so much. Even though it really is pointless now that good engine builders have the right recipe for an awesome hybrid build with longevity.

If I am not mistaken the original intent of this thread was to help the OP determine if a hybrid build was reliable by getting peoples results. Well the thread is eons old, the questions have been answered and there is no longer any mystery. So continuing this thread with mileage updates is just a waste of cyber space.

And yes there is a class.
Maxwell Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 02:43 PM   #108
Purpose_Built
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 222879
Join Date: Sep 2009
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NJ
Vehicle:
2003 WRX 60-1/td06h
Hybrid/6spd

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell Power View Post
You're the one who sent this to my PM box and posted it. Apparently you have cool and class down and don't need my help.

Who are you?
Why are you so freaked out?
There are thousands of people who would think that with my support of this community I don't deserve such treatment.

Why don't you provide some actual valid counter point as to the purpose of this thread instead of personal attacks?

Don't worry, though, after you and I have figured this out, I will unsubscribe to this thread that you apparently love so much. Even though it really is pointless now that good engine builders have the right recipe for an awesome hybrid build with longevity.

If I am not mistaken the original intent of this thread was to help the OP determine if a hybrid build was reliable by getting peoples results. Well the thread is eons old, the questions have been answered and there is no longer any mystery. So continuing this thread with mileage updates is just a waste of cyber space.

And yes there is a class.
There are thousands of people who would think that with my support of this community I don't deserve such treatment. Thats the single most feminine statement i have heard on any of the boards i participate in. Don't get full of yourself because you really aren't that important. You aren't the pioneer behind the destroker are you? Am i arguing with the guy/girl that watches the computers because this can't be someone who cares about what the customer thinks.

I still hope your arrogance puts you out of business like the other douches that came before you. Basically because you build engines and you say it's good, then its good. I know you think people crave your expert opinion but we don't. You obviously have enough time to look into petty things like this so you must not be making any money right now.

I'm not buying anything from you so why would i give 2 *****s what you think? And stop acting like a martyr guy. You said something out of line and i came back with something out of line. Thats what we do in a pissing contest.

When i had a stupid question for your competition they answered it and now homemadewrx and those guys have my money on the next build. I know if the roles were reversed i probably wouldn't answer nicely but i don't have to because i don't rely on their funds to operate. That's the difference between a good business and some guys in a garage.

Last edited by Purpose_Built; 03-24-2012 at 03:05 PM. Reason: i just realized what the d-bag said
Purpose_Built is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 03:33 PM   #109
Maxwell Power
Former Vendor
 
Member#: 190729
Join Date: Oct 2008
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Marysville, WA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purpose_Built View Post
There are thousands of people who would think that with my support of this community I don't deserve such treatment. Thats the single most feminine statement i have heard on any of the boards i participate in. Don't get full of yourself because you really aren't that important. You aren't the pioneer behind the destroker are you? Am i arguing with the guy/girl that watches the computers because this can't be someone who cares about what the customer thinks.

I still hope your arrogance puts you out of business like the other douches that came before you. Basically because you build engines and you say it's good, then its good. I know you think people crave your expert opinion but we don't. You obviously have enough time to look into petty things like this so you must not be making any money right now.

I'm not buying anything from you so why would i give 2 *****s what you think? And stop acting like a martyr guy. You said something out of line and i came back with something out of line. Thats what we do in a pissing contest.

When i had a stupid question for your competition they answered it and now homemadewrx and those guys have my money on the next build. I know if the roles were reversed i probably wouldn't answer nicely but i don't have to because i don't rely on their funds to operate. That's the difference between a good business and some guys in a garage.

I don't understand anything you are saying. Is English your second language or are you just that fired up that you can't type one thought at a time?

Yes I am the pioneer of the destroker. HomemadeWRX and I used to live together and it was my idea that the two of us worked out years and years ago.

Yes, people do value my opinion. Mostly because it is based on actual research, intellegent decisions, real education and experience. I tell it like it is and I don't sell people crap they don't need.

You are making personal attack after personal attack and I have done nothing of the sort.

You call it feminine, I call it mature. Grow up, kid. Are you really that jealous of unimportant me? My custom, self built shop (that I built with my own hands and designed with my own brain) has 18 cars in it, over 20 engine builds in progress and tunes are booked two weeks in advance.
Maxwell Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 04:25 PM   #110
Purpose_Built
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 222879
Join Date: Sep 2009
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NJ
Vehicle:
2003 WRX 60-1/td06h
Hybrid/6spd

Default

You came into this thread and called it stupid right? I still hope your arrogance puts you out of business.

The point i am trying to make is, I didn't ask for your opinion. You don't see any of the other sponsors in spouting nonsense do you? You keep trying to give me your expert opinion. You may matter to someone just not to me. You are running around screaming,"I'm imortant, you hurt my fellings but i matter to so many people and you shouldn't treat me like this." Thats very feminine. The other guys are ok but i don't know wtf happened to you.

You have an 18 car garage or you have 18 cars on the property that your 4 car garage sits on. You can see how that may be a bit confusing to someone reading this. That would be you implying that you are a huge monolith of a company. That would put you up there with Crawford, Cobb, AMS, HPF or one of the other heavy weights. Are you a heavy weight (i'm shaking my head no). Since you are so big you must have like 2 demo cars to showcase all of these custom parts you make?

Your opinion does not matter to me and you keep trying to convince me that it does.

You win MPS. If we really have a problem or if would like to talk about your feelings any more my number is 931-338-5016. I'll even have my girl show you how to install your tampon. Now i'm wondering if this is Domonic or Craig?

Last edited by Purpose_Built; 03-24-2012 at 04:53 PM.
Purpose_Built is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:17 PM   #111
wrxsubiemod
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 165104
Join Date: Nov 2007
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Riverside CA
Vehicle:
E85 SoCalPorting
Owner

Default

Wow..

Chill pill
wrxsubiemod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:22 PM   #112
Purpose_Built
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 222879
Join Date: Sep 2009
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NJ
Vehicle:
2003 WRX 60-1/td06h
Hybrid/6spd

Default

This is your classic east coast west coast battle.
Purpose_Built is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:07 PM   #113
scoobycoupe
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 277567
Join Date: Mar 2011
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: MD
Vehicle:
99 2.5 RSti
06 LGT S2

Default

any of you hybrid building gurus out there im in need of some advice. My motor started as a Rallispec EJ20 sti engine from over seas. It was swapped with a usdm STI block and 05 wrx heads. Im pulling the engine to do the clutch next week hopefully and im compiling some parts together now for everything i need while i have the motor out like mounts seals and im going to do the timing belt and pulleys too. Now i know the newer gen 257 motors have a different pulley setup than the old ej25s and if im not mistaken the ej20 is similar. So knowing what setup i have if any build pros can help me out with parts i would really be thankful. I have put together some part numbers for what i thought would be correct for the type of belt and pulleys i need.

idler - 13073AA230
Cogged roller - 13085AA080
2x Smooth roller - 13073AA142
Tensioner - 13033AA042 (Should be all the same?)
Timing belt - ?
scoobycoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:42 PM   #114
Purpose_Built
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 222879
Join Date: Sep 2009
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NJ
Vehicle:
2003 WRX 60-1/td06h
Hybrid/6spd

Default

I'm not a pro but i can tell you that if you dont have avcs to get the ej20 wrx gasket set and ej257 head gasket. The gaskets on the heads are usually what separates the cars. The timing components are the same on the dohc ej205/257blocks. The shapes are different but its the same. The 257 block also has an extra case vent. Hope that helps.
Purpose_Built is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:50 PM   #115
Maxwell Power
Former Vendor
 
Member#: 190729
Join Date: Oct 2008
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Marysville, WA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purpose_Built View Post
You have an 18 car garage or you have 18 cars on the property that your 4 car garage sits on. You can see how that may be a bit confusing to someone reading this. That would be you implying that you are a huge monolith of a company. That would put you up there with Crawford, Cobb, AMS, HPF or one of the other heavy weights. Are you a heavy weight (i'm shaking my head no). Since you are so big you must have like 2 demo cars to showcase all of these custom parts you make?

Your opinion does not matter to me and you keep trying to convince me that it does.

You win MPS. If we really have a problem or if would like to talk about your feelings any more my number is 931-338-5016. I'll even have my girl show you how to install your tampon. Now i'm wondering if this is Dominic or Craig?
Why would I call you? So you can over-react on the phone just like you did in this thread?

We both gave our opinions of the thread. According to you, mine doesn't matter. Also according to you, I'm all sorts of nasty things and deserve to not have a successful business because of it. So you also kindly added your opinion of me. Which I might add is obviously based on nothing as you asked a ton of questions about my shop and I.

My shop holds 13 cars. It is on the largest street in Marysville with plenty of exposure. It is also over 5k square feet which is actually 500 MORE square feet than Crawford. Crawford has 5 employees, I only have 4 (it fluctuates form 3-5 depending on the season). Crawford started with as few as I, or so he told me when we chatted for quite some time in Las Vegas at SEMA.

I'm not trying to convince you of my opinion. I merely stated that the thread had met it's purpose over a year ago and should therefor just disappear. You, for some reason, flipped out like a child only justifying the thread should continue because "people like it".



Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxsubiemod View Post
Wow..

Chill pill
I know, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purpose_Built View Post
This is your classic east coast west coast battle.
I don't know what battle you are speaking of. First off, I started tuning Subarus in Hawaii, then promptly moved to the east coast where I tuned more. I make yearly trips to New York and Virginia. I never brought coast up for a second. I'm not some East Side/west side ganster or something... I am a military veteran of twelve years who started a business while he was in and carried it through after getting out.

As you can see I'm not going to resort to childish e-thugging no matter how hard you try. I am also now going to unsubscribe from this thread. If you have other things to say, please be sure to PM me so I know to come back to this thread. I get way too many alerts in my inbox everyday and thinning them out is welcome. Thus why I was surprised to see this pop up again and partially why I encouraged people to drop it.

Lastly I want to remind you that your advice goes both ways. You told me to turn my head and shut the f up if I didn't like something, yet you so boldly did not do so AND you took it to the next level with pointless insults. Before you go spouting off crap on the internet and insulting people, maybe you should spend some time evaluating the person in the mirror.

Regards,
Dominic (to answer your last question)
Maxwell Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:54 AM   #116
jaredperry
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 170928
Join Date: Feb 2008
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Eight Oh Five
Vehicle:
'07 STi / '02 WRX
So Cali FL4T F4 #36

Default

Really, Maxwell?
jaredperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:04 PM   #117
Purpose_Built
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 222879
Join Date: Sep 2009
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NJ
Vehicle:
2003 WRX 60-1/td06h
Hybrid/6spd

Default

You step on someones toes and now you want to cry veteran. I thought it was just a myth, i didn't think people did that honestly. I have a little over ten years in but that has nothing to do with me calling you feminine. My girl has shrapnel in her wrist and knee but you would never know unless you asked her what it was and then she might just tell you the story behind it.

People can read and these two quotes sound nothing alike. Don't switch up the text.

"I merely stated that the thread had met it's purpose over a year ago and should therefor just disappear. You, for some reason, flipped out like a child only justifying the thread should continue because "people like it".

"why? Just build it right the first time and not worry about it.
Match the chambers to the STi chambers and you have no reason to ever come to this lame thread again.

I mean seriously, this thread should be titled:
OMG how many have had blown up hybrid builds? Because otherwise, what's the point? A properly built hybrid setup will be just as reliable as any other properly done build.

This thread should disappear.


Compare the two quotes and tell me which one is appropriate for a business man and which is just some e-kunt running his mouth. I usually over respond but i do it on purpose.

But i do find it funny that you think i should admire you for all you have done for this community. If I don't admire my house cleaner, walmart, or usps then why should i think you are important. Last time i checked you didn't build engines for free. You are only important if you are doing a service for me. If you go under there will be someone else to do it for me. Stay on your toes because when you do go under i'll get to laugh at you.

Please fix your page because it looks like trash and bored me half to death.

Last edited by Purpose_Built; 03-27-2012 at 05:21 PM.
Purpose_Built is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:56 PM   #118
luciferMotorCade
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 253611
Join Date: Jul 2010
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: the couve
Vehicle:
2004 GeNOME
WRB

Angry handy

Now I know where I am taking my business.
luciferMotorCade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:49 PM   #119
Keaton522
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 279103
Join Date: Apr 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Southern NH
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Hybrid

Default

Is this thread still about hybrid builds orrr
Keaton522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:50 PM   #120
Purpose_Built
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 222879
Join Date: Sep 2009
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NJ
Vehicle:
2003 WRX 60-1/td06h
Hybrid/6spd

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by luciferMotorCade View Post
Now I know where I am taking my business.
I hope to one of the other gazillion shops that can build a good motor and can treat you like a potential customer. Really can't knock the guys work at all but there are others who can do the job and not gloat about how important they are to you.
Purpose_Built is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:15 PM   #121
luciferMotorCade
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 253611
Join Date: Jul 2010
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: the couve
Vehicle:
2004 GeNOME
WRB

Default shops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purpose_Built View Post
I hope to one of the other gazillion shops that can build a good motor and can treat you like a potential customer. Really can't knock the guys work at all but there are others who can do the job and not gloat about how important they are to you.

Exactly. I just happen to need my 2.0 heads matched to the ej257 block.
luciferMotorCade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:16 PM   #122
Purpose_Built
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 222879
Join Date: Sep 2009
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NJ
Vehicle:
2003 WRX 60-1/td06h
Hybrid/6spd

Default

ASF machine
Purpose_Built is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:10 PM   #123
IMPREZANETICS
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 153467
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bonaire
Vehicle:
2005 Wrx sti
Black

Default

Hi i'm new on this forum, i have a My98 jdm wrx sti type-r and i just finished my hybrid swap build

Ej275 short block nitrided crank
Stock rod, cp pistons 8.5:1
0.51" cometic headgasket
Arp head studs
Ej20k heads stock cams
11mm oil pump
Td06 20G

What's the risk with these builds, how much do you guys think the compression is?

I know it will need good fuel
IMPREZANETICS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:54 PM   #124
Nuul
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 313456
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Indianapolis
Vehicle:
2003 WRX Wagon
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell Power View Post

Hybrid:
If you're going to do the hybrid, the chamber work is so crucial regardless of power output. I would honestly say, do the headwork OVER a forged piston if your power goal is only 300-350whp.
I'm glad I ran into this thread, that's exactly what I wanted to know. I've seen a ton of people bitching about how the STI pistons are horrid and I was second guessing my choice to buy a 10103AC050 or 10103AC030 and go hybrid. I only want about 325 WHP so this is perfect.
Nuul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:13 AM   #125
Nickarub
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 230509
Join Date: Nov 2009
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Houston
Vehicle:
06 vf39 wrx
ugm

Default

How much is this head chamber work cost? Do most people skip it just cuz the hassle?
Nickarub is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OFFICIAL: LG-VX9100 users, post here! psychoskip Off-Topic 3 06-17-2010 11:46 AM
Samsung Instinct users post here sube-trex Off-Topic 8 06-17-2010 07:45 AM
VF34 Users Post here! Assassin4457 Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.0L Turbo) 91 09-27-2006 11:44 PM
Any long term users of Torco RTF? edmundu Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline 8 08-15-2005 12:53 AM
Long term users of FMIC's Wombat North Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.0L Turbo) 10 12-10-2003 05:49 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2018 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2017, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.