Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday December 18, 2017
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Warranty Issues & SOA Problems

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2016, 11:26 PM   #2951
Chispo
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 436093
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: DMV
Vehicle:
2016 WRX GUR 23
Lapis Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robschilke View Post
Your guess is as good as mine. Don't know if there's implicit content behind your comment or not. I wouldn't rule it out, but unsure how how that would cause a crankshaft bearing to fail, when the main cause of failure is a typically a lubrication issue.

If there's a learning opportunity for me here, I'd love to hear it.
No harm bruh, I was just saying cause SOA will be looking out for their interests, not yours. And they will try whatever in order to not pay the fix.

I also, want an intake, but I wouldn't to mess with the warranty. I'm also here to learn. As a matter fact, what would an intake damage if anything?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Chispo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 05-10-2016, 12:15 AM   #2952
sc00by4life
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 97135
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robschilke View Post
I wouldn't rule it out, but unsure how how that would cause a crankshaft bearing to fail, when the main cause of failure is a typically a lubrication issue.
An intake without a tune will cause the car to run lean.

Lean conditions will always have a negative effect on lubrication.
sc00by4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 11:17 AM   #2953
robschilke
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 397553
Join Date: Jul 2014
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Seattle, WA
Vehicle:
2014 GR8 DGM
Subaru Ambassador

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chispo View Post
No harm bruh, I was just saying cause SOA will be looking out for their interests, not yours. And they will try whatever in order to not pay the fix.

I also, want an intake, but I wouldn't to mess with the warranty. I'm also here to learn. As a matter fact, what would an intake damage if anything?
I didn't see your initial comment as malicious or prodding. When I first spoke with the dealer's service rep, she did mention that having an intake installed could be an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc00by4life View Post
An intake without a tune will cause the car to run lean.

Lean conditions will always have a negative effect on lubrication.
Makes sense. Thanks for the info.
robschilke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 01:43 PM   #2954
Chispo
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 436093
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: DMV
Vehicle:
2016 WRX GUR 23
Lapis Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robschilke View Post
I didn't see your initial comment as malicious or prodding. When I first spoke with the dealer's service rep, she did mention that having an intake installed could be an issue.



Makes sense. Thanks for the info.
So, they obviously noticed the intake and yet they approved the fix? Would you mind to share more? Thanks in advance.
Chispo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 03:49 PM   #2955
robschilke
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 397553
Join Date: Jul 2014
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Seattle, WA
Vehicle:
2014 GR8 DGM
Subaru Ambassador

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chispo View Post
So, they obviously noticed the intake and yet they approved the fix? Would you mind to share more? Thanks in advance.
I don't have details as to why they approved the fix with an intake installed. Perhaps because there was no tune? I suppose that would be a good follow up question after I get my car back. I will certainly keep you all posted with any details that arise.
robschilke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 11:28 AM   #2956
sc00by4life
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 97135
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robschilke View Post
I don't have details as to why they approved the fix with an intake installed. Perhaps because there was no tune? I suppose that would be a good follow up question after I get my car back. I will certainly keep you all posted with any details that arise.
I wouldn't question why they are repairing your car with an intake.

just accept the gift and be glad .
sc00by4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 05:36 PM   #2957
robschilke
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 397553
Join Date: Jul 2014
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Seattle, WA
Vehicle:
2014 GR8 DGM
Subaru Ambassador

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc00by4life View Post
I wouldn't question why they are repairing your car with an intake.

just accept the gift and be glad .
Certainly a gift, indeed.
robschilke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 07:37 PM   #2958
Pollution
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 318039
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Troy MI
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
Rally Blue

Default

Name: Jason

Make: '11 Impreza WRX Hatch

Mileage: 47,000

Time Out Of Use: two weeks

Problem And Likely Cause: Cracked Cyl #4 Ringland, due to bad tune from factory

Modifications: None

Submitted For Warranty Work (Yes/No): Not yet

Reason Given For Denial: -

Your Story: Bought my Wrx used about a year ago and have put nearly 10k miles on it since then. I've always changed the oil every 3k, have NEVER modified the car besides a K&N box filter, and am known for my slow driving.

Two weeks ago, #4 started misfiring. This being my 3rd Subaru, I was prepared for the worst. Found compression to be very low in that cylinder, and found the ringland to be cracked. Besides that, everything else is not damaged. It hasn't left the driveway, but it still runs and drives like normal. The problem that I believe caused this to happen was the car running lean, off the factory tune.

Subaru claims to have a 5 year 60k mile warranty on these, but my 5 years ran out 3 months ago. I am in the early stages of contacting my local dealers (just today), and all have them have basically offered to open the car up and inspect the issue for up to $1500, not promising anything will be covered.

I am seeking help on how to handle this situation appropriately, giving me the best chance of a warranty coverage. Although I have extended the warranty by 3 months, do I have a chance fighting it? If the factory tune causing the car to run lean really was the issue, Subaru should be at fault for this.

Last edited by Pollution; 05-24-2016 at 07:46 PM.
Pollution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:59 AM   #2959
gsrcrxsi
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 236952
Join Date: Jan 2010
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Baltimore
Vehicle:
2010 WRX (SSM)
Stg 2+ 310/370, 6sp R180

Default

You should go to the dealer expecting to pay for it yourself. They owe you nothing, and if you go in there, out of warranty, acting entitled to warranty coverage, they will be less likely to help you.
gsrcrxsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 10:58 PM   #2960
joeb8888
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 448628
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Philly
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
Galaxy Blue Pearl

Default

Same type of story happened with my wife's ford escape a couple years ago. long story short she was within the miles of warranty but out by 3 months. They said we need to take it to ford so they can diagnose it and obviously us pay for it to be diagnosed and taken apart. The short of it is that we had to pay for the trans to be fixed and for the disassembly and diagnosis. We received no help because it was out of warranty by 3 months, they didnt care about the mileage. I really hope they help you out
joeb8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 11:22 PM   #2961
meinct
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 350408
Join Date: Mar 2013
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Windsor Locks, Ct
Vehicle:
2012 wrx
dgm

Default

Til a ford escape is the same as a subaru.
meinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 11:58 PM   #2962
sc00by4life
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 97135
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollution View Post
Name: Jason

Make: '11 Impreza WRX Hatch

Mileage: 47,000

Time Out Of Use: two weeks

Problem And Likely Cause: Cracked Cyl #4 Ringland, due to bad tune from factory

Modifications: None

Submitted For Warranty Work (Yes/No): Not yet

Reason Given For Denial: -

Your Story: Bought my Wrx used about a year ago and have put nearly 10k miles on it since then. I've always changed the oil every 3k, have NEVER modified the car besides a K&N box filter, and am known for my slow driving.

Two weeks ago, #4 started misfiring. This being my 3rd Subaru, I was prepared for the worst. Found compression to be very low in that cylinder, and found the ringland to be cracked. Besides that, everything else is not damaged. It hasn't left the driveway, but it still runs and drives like normal. The problem that I believe caused this to happen was the car running lean, off the factory tune.

Subaru claims to have a 5 year 60k mile warranty on these, but my 5 years ran out 3 months ago. I am in the early stages of contacting my local dealers (just today), and all have them have basically offered to open the car up and inspect the issue for up to $1500, not promising anything will be covered.

I am seeking help on how to handle this situation appropriately, giving me the best chance of a warranty coverage. Although I have extended the warranty by 3 months, do I have a chance fighting it? If the factory tune causing the car to run lean really was the issue, Subaru should be at fault for this.

You are out of warranty, period.

Also, there is no way the stock tune will do that. I understand the hype on the forums, but there are tens of thousands of these cars running around without issue.
sc00by4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 03:05 PM   #2963
robschilke
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 397553
Join Date: Jul 2014
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Seattle, WA
Vehicle:
2014 GR8 DGM
Subaru Ambassador

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robschilke View Post
Name: Rob Schilke

Make: 2012 WRX Hatch

Mileage: 55,000

Time Out Of Use: 2-months

Problem And Likely Cause: Crankshaft bearing failure and a timing malfunction (P-0011)

Modifications: K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake

Submitted For Warranty Work (Yes/No): Yes

Reason Given For Denial: Not denied, service taking forever though.

Your Story: On a drive home from work, I noticed a knocking in my engine. Lights came on. Engine failure and shut down shortly after. Had vehicle towed to local Subaru dealership for diagnosis (Russell Subaru/MileOne—Ellicott City, MD). The diagnosis revealed that a spun crankshaft bearing caused metallic debris to cycle through the engine and a timing malfunction—P0011. While this is generally indicative of poor maintenance, I had receipts and a schedule ledger to back up my personal records.

Below is my service experience:
  • Feb 29, 2016—Towed my car to the dealership and had an initial diagnosis appointment.This date ended up being bumped due to over booking.
  • March 8—Sent email containing receipts and service ledger to Subaru/MileOne to cover any potential red tape.
  • March 16—Later, the initial inspection happened Mid-March, but complete tear down was further halted after a technician needed to consult with a senior specialist after discovering an out-of-date oil filter (Jiffy Lube) during inspection. Asked about a loaner/rental car in lieu or my vehicle being out for service. No response.
  • March 31—Received email from interim Service Manager that they will proceed with teardown.
  • April 5—Received email stating that engine technician was in training, further delaying service. Approximation given, no scheduled date of actual service.
  • April 14—Received email containing photos of my engine on a lift. Followed up asking about loaner/rental. No response.
  • April 22—New Service Manager emailed disclosing the teardown diagnosis.
  • May 2—Received loaner vehicle (2016 Impreza Sport)
  • May 9—Email from Service Manager stating that technician working on engine developed a hernia, delaying service for another 3 weeks.

This process seems extremely long and unnecessary for an engine and turbo assembly. Asked to possibly have body work compensated in lieu of the increased wait time. Keep in mind, the service is covered under the drivetrain warranty and is being completed, just the actual process of this has been long and arduous.

I also followed up with Subaru's corporate service center. This issue is now being escalated to a senior rep.

Is this experience expected with short block/turbo replacements? What would you have done/asked for in this situation? Should I be asking for more having waited (and possibly waiting) for such a long time?
Update:

June 16— Received a call at 2pm today from the dealership saying my car was finished and can pick it up today.

SOA has been on this case for a while and will still need to have a debrief conversation with them.

Edit: Picked car up after work. Drove around with the radio off for a good while. Man, I miss this car.

Last edited by robschilke; 06-17-2016 at 09:01 AM.
robschilke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 12:34 PM   #2964
StrawHatSTi
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 417415
Join Date: Mar 2015
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Connecticut
Vehicle:
2009 Impreza STi
Obsidian Black

Default

Model: 2009 STI Hatch (Purchased pre owned about a year ago)

Mileage: 66k

Time out of use: About two weeks.

Issue: Oil was leaking and the motor blew

Warranty: Yes, I have 3 year 30k Allstate Gold warranty that I purchased from the dealership that I bought the car ( Subaru Dealer)

Mods: Perrin Inatke , Invidia Catback. Looked like there was an aftermarket BOV, Also looks like there was an aftermarket front mount. All that was there when I purchased the car from Subaru. About 3 Months ago I had a Catless Invidia installed about 3 months ago with a stage 2 tune.


Story: I had the car towed to the dealer I bought the car from, I had all my service done on time with the same dealer. Oil Light went off couple hundred miles before it was time for my oil change, but it would flicker on and off when I stop and start driving, I'm guessing because the pressure being released as I stop and go. So they quoted me about 11k for the job and I told my service manager I purchased the a warranty and he went and contacted allstate, they gave allstate all my service records and paperwork and whatnot, but according to my service manager Allstate is asking them to tear to down to further investigate that's going to run me 2k. Just like anyone, I just don't feel good about spending 2k for a "50/50" chance according to my service manager. I just payed for classes and really cant afford to drop another 2k right now. You think I would be able to take the car back home and come back in a month or so when I have the funds to take care of this.


Bless your soul for doing this thread!

And sorry for the grammer trying to type this without my boss seeing
StrawHatSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 02:52 PM   #2965
Supraru
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 23313
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Collegeville,Pa
Vehicle:
99' 2.5Rs
black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawHatSTi View Post
Model: 2009 STI Hatch (Purchased pre owned about a year ago)

Mileage: 66k

Time out of use: About two weeks.

Issue: Oil was leaking and the motor blew

Warranty: Yes, I have 3 year 30k Allstate Gold warranty that I purchased from the dealership that I bought the car ( Subaru Dealer)

Mods: Perrin Inatke , Invidia Catback. Looked like there was an aftermarket BOV, Also looks like there was an aftermarket front mount. All that was there when I purchased the car from Subaru. About 3 Months ago I had a Catless Invidia installed about 3 months ago with a stage 2 tune.


Story: I had the car towed to the dealer I bought the car from, I had all my service done on time with the same dealer. Oil Light went off couple hundred miles before it was time for my oil change, but it would flicker on and off when I stop and start driving, I'm guessing because the pressure being released as I stop and go. So they quoted me about 11k for the job and I told my service manager I purchased the a warranty and he went and contacted allstate, they gave allstate all my service records and paperwork and whatnot, but according to my service manager Allstate is asking them to tear to down to further investigate that's going to run me 2k. Just like anyone, I just don't feel good about spending 2k for a "50/50" chance according to my service manager. I just payed for classes and really cant afford to drop another 2k right now. You think I would be able to take the car back home and come back in a month or so when I have the funds to take care of this.


Bless your soul for doing this thread!

And sorry for the grammer trying to type this without my boss seeing
Btw the 09' Sti doesn't have an oil reminder, it's oil pressure. So you either had next to zero oil in the car or pick up tube broke. You should look at your manual and see what your dash lights mean. You see that light on you **** off the car and don't drive it.
Supraru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 03:30 PM   #2966
StrawHatSTi
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 417415
Join Date: Mar 2015
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Connecticut
Vehicle:
2009 Impreza STi
Obsidian Black

Default

Yeah I found that out the hard way, I assumed it was an oil reminder or at least like hey you're a little low.
StrawHatSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 04:06 PM   #2967
Supraru
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 23313
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Collegeville,Pa
Vehicle:
99' 2.5Rs
black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawHatSTi View Post
Yeah I found that out the hard way, I assumed it was an oil reminder or at least like hey you're a little low.
You know what happens when you assume? This is why vehicles come with owners manuals.
Supraru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 05:18 PM   #2968
StrawHatSTi
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 417415
Join Date: Mar 2015
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Connecticut
Vehicle:
2009 Impreza STi
Obsidian Black

Default

Yeah you're right
StrawHatSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 11:53 AM   #2969
sc00by4life
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 97135
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawHatSTi View Post
Model: 2009 STI Hatch (Purchased pre owned about a year ago)

Mileage: 66k

Time out of use: About two weeks.

Issue: Oil was leaking and the motor blew

Warranty: Yes, I have 3 year 30k Allstate Gold warranty that I purchased from the dealership that I bought the car ( Subaru Dealer)

Mods: Perrin Inatke , Invidia Catback. Looked like there was an aftermarket BOV, Also looks like there was an aftermarket front mount. All that was there when I purchased the car from Subaru. About 3 Months ago I had a Catless Invidia installed about 3 months ago with a stage 2 tune.


Story: I had the car towed to the dealer I bought the car from, I had all my service done on time with the same dealer. Oil Light went off couple hundred miles before it was time for my oil change, but it would flicker on and off when I stop and start driving, I'm guessing because the pressure being released as I stop and go. So they quoted me about 11k for the job and I told my service manager I purchased the a warranty and he went and contacted allstate, they gave allstate all my service records and paperwork and whatnot, but according to my service manager Allstate is asking them to tear to down to further investigate that's going to run me 2k. Just like anyone, I just don't feel good about spending 2k for a "50/50" chance according to my service manager. I just payed for classes and really cant afford to drop another 2k right now. You think I would be able to take the car back home and come back in a month or so when I have the funds to take care of this.


Bless your soul for doing this thread!

And sorry for the grammer trying to type this without my boss seeing
this thread pertains to factory warranty.

Last edited by sc00by4life; 07-07-2016 at 12:00 PM.
sc00by4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 06:52 PM   #2970
Milkwaybubba81
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 431337
Join Date: Oct 2015
Have a Nice Day? Oil consumption scam/ warranty

Model. Impreza 2012 sport

Mileage 59k

Issue : warranty oil consumption/ burning to much oil

My story: iv noticed when getting an oil change at my dealer they always over filled not to bad right but now the scam behind it. If you own a Subaru from around 2012 you may have gotten the class action settalment in the mail. This is where it starts.

Subaru will do a free oil consumption test and if it fails they will replace your short block. But they set it up to pass every time. My oil would be about a qt low at 2500 miles so when I went to do the consumption test what did they do ? OVER GILLED THE OIL.

So what does that mean? Well the test is for about 1200 miles so by the time your done with that you have burned threw the exsess oil so you legal reads fine and they say you passed your test so your car does not need to be fixed.

How do I know this/ how did I check? When my friend got home after starting the test. We checked his oil levels and saw they over filled it so after he drove it for the 1200 miles I saw the level go down but it was still over the full line so what did We do? Well we draind over 35 oz out of the engine when he went to get checked they said it only burned 14oz WE TOOK OUT over 30 so how would it only be low by 14. BECAUSE THEY OVER FILL SO THEY DONT HAVE TO GIVE YOU THE WARRENTY SERVICE !!!!!!
Milkwaybubba81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 12:17 AM   #2971
Paradis
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 334647
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Lac St-Jean, Canada
Vehicle:
2012 POS Impreza

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milkwaybubba81 View Post
Model. Impreza 2012 sport

Mileage 59k

Issue : warranty oil consumption/ burning to much oil

My story: iv noticed when getting an oil change at my dealer they always over filled not to bad right but now the scam behind it. If you own a Subaru from around 2012 you may have gotten the class action settalment in the mail. This is where it starts.

Subaru will do a free oil consumption test and if it fails they will replace your short block. But they set it up to pass every time. My oil would be about a qt low at 2500 miles so when I went to do the consumption test what did they do ? OVER GILLED THE OIL.

So what does that mean? Well the test is for about 1200 miles so by the time your done with that you have burned threw the exsess oil so you legal reads fine and they say you passed your test so your car does not need to be fixed.

How do I know this/ how did I check? When my friend got home after starting the test. We checked his oil levels and saw they over filled it so after he drove it for the 1200 miles I saw the level go down but it was still over the full line so what did We do? Well we draind over 35 oz out of the engine when he went to get checked they said it only burned 14oz WE TOOK OUT over 30 so how would it only be low by 14. BECAUSE THEY OVER FILL SO THEY DONT HAVE TO GIVE YOU THE WARRENTY SERVICE !!!!!!
They did the exact same fcking thing 3 times on my 2012 unreliable lemon piece of sht Impreza. Sell that thing asap
Paradis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 10:33 PM   #2972
grosales101
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 403041
Join Date: Oct 2014
Default Rod Knock/ Warranty

Name: Jorge

Make: 2013 WRX Sedan

Mileage: 19,000

Time Out Of Use: About 3 weeks

Problem And Likely Cause: Problem was rod knock. The cause is difficult to pin point. So you can formulate your own opinion after reading the story.

Modifications: Uppipe, downpipe, intercooler, intake, catback, short throw shifter, access port.

Submitted For Warranty Work (Yes/No): Yes

Reason Given For Denial: Repairs were covered

Your Story: Purchase my vehicle new in 2013 in anticipation of fixing it up the way I like it near the end of warranty. I threw on all the stuff above carefully and methodically. Checked my logs on the access port to see if everything looked normal (it did). Finally set up an appointment with the tuner where rod knock was discovered. Took it to a mechanic that deals with wrxs a lot...

He says installation looks clean but doesn't think the tuner caused it. He explained that he sees this situation often due to weak stock engines for the generation. Subaru is more focused on fuel efficiency over strong motors. 1 in 10 subies go through it. Even stock ones. (His explanation)

So I took everything off and towed it to the dealers. Customer service in the area is not the greatest. I usually have issues with every dealer I need help from even when the car is under warranty. Any time something goes wrong big or small they try to get you to take the fall. So I don't feel bad for sending it in, getting it covered, and putting up a fight while doing so. Also don't feel bad for Subaru for not making a strong enough motor to handle simple mods. They replaced the short block which included gaskets, rings, seals, thermostat, cylinders, screws, bearings, removed metal shavings etc.

My advice to anyone doing their research right now to mod their vehicle:

Don't make the mistake I did and mod your daily driver. (Subaru provided a car but its still not fun knowing your car is in the shop, time without a functioning car, borrowing a car and the uncertainty of warranty coverage). Also do a lot of research on the tuner you choose even if you have to travel far to find a good one. (Mine was rated well but I should have gone straight to Cobb facilities). Don't take no [email protected]% from dealers or Subaru in getting your stuff covered. These are major corporations that win more than they lose. Plus a tuners vehicle should be able to handle a few mods. Thats what people buy them for. Not fuel efficiency. Finally, the mechanic also advised that if I am going to be modifying the car; I would likely need to rebuild the engine with stronger parts to support the mods even a low stage one or two. This would cost an estimate of 5k. I hope this has been helpful to many. I still love the car after the whole ordeal. Good luck to you all.
grosales101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 12:21 PM   #2973
Supraru
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 23313
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Collegeville,Pa
Vehicle:
99' 2.5Rs
black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grosales101 View Post
Name: Jorge

Make: 2013 WRX Sedan

Mileage: 19,000

Time Out Of Use: About 3 weeks

Problem And Likely Cause: Problem was rod knock. The cause is difficult to pin point. So you can formulate your own opinion after reading the story.

Modifications: Uppipe, downpipe, intercooler, intake, catback, short throw shifter, access port.

Submitted For Warranty Work (Yes/No): Yes

Reason Given For Denial: Repairs were covered

Your Story: Purchase my vehicle new in 2013 in anticipation of fixing it up the way I like it near the end of warranty. I threw on all the stuff above carefully and methodically. Checked my logs on the access port to see if everything looked normal (it did). Finally set up an appointment with the tuner where rod knock was discovered. Took it to a mechanic that deals with wrxs a lot...

He says installation looks clean but doesn't think the tuner caused it. He explained that he sees this situation often due to weak stock engines for the generation. Subaru is more focused on fuel efficiency over strong motors. 1 in 10 subies go through it. Even stock ones. (His explanation)

So I took everything off and towed it to the dealers. Customer service in the area is not the greatest. I usually have issues with every dealer I need help from even when the car is under warranty. Any time something goes wrong big or small they try to get you to take the fall. So I don't feel bad for sending it in, getting it covered, and putting up a fight while doing so. Also don't feel bad for Subaru for not making a strong enough motor to handle simple mods. They replaced the short block which included gaskets, rings, seals, thermostat, cylinders, screws, bearings, removed metal shavings etc.

My advice to anyone doing their research right now to mod their vehicle:

Don't make the mistake I did and mod your daily driver. (Subaru provided a car but its still not fun knowing your car is in the shop, time without a functioning car, borrowing a car and the uncertainty of warranty coverage). Also do a lot of research on the tuner you choose even if you have to travel far to find a good one. (Mine was rated well but I should have gone straight to Cobb facilities). Don't take no [email protected]% from dealers or Subaru in getting your stuff covered. These are major corporations that win more than they lose. Plus a tuners vehicle should be able to handle a few mods. Thats what people buy them for. Not fuel efficiency. Finally, the mechanic also advised that if I am going to be modifying the car; I would likely need to rebuild the engine with stronger parts to support the mods even a low stage one or two. This would cost an estimate of 5k. I hope this has been helpful to many. I still love the car after the whole ordeal. Good luck to you all.
Cliff notes: modded car, blew up car, couldn't afford to pay to play. Blames Subaru for not making an engine that can handle his mods. Everyone you're welcome for saving you time.
Supraru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 02:19 PM   #2974
wrxcore
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 209544
Join Date: Apr 2009
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Vehicle:
2008 05 LGT,08 STi
RBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grosales101 View Post
Name: Jorge

Make: 2013 WRX Sedan

Mileage: 19,000

Time Out Of Use: About 3 weeks

Problem And Likely Cause: Problem was rod knock. The cause is difficult to pin point. So you can formulate your own opinion after reading the story.

Modifications: Uppipe, downpipe, intercooler, intake, catback, short throw shifter, access port.

Submitted For Warranty Work (Yes/No): Yes

Reason Given For Denial: Repairs were covered

Your Story: Purchase my vehicle new in 2013 in anticipation of fixing it up the way I like it near the end of warranty. I threw on all the stuff above carefully and methodically. Checked my logs on the access port to see if everything looked normal (it did). Finally set up an appointment with the tuner where rod knock was discovered. Took it to a mechanic that deals with wrxs a lot...

He says installation looks clean but doesn't think the tuner caused it. He explained that he sees this situation often due to weak stock engines for the generation. Subaru is more focused on fuel efficiency over strong motors. 1 in 10 subies go through it. Even stock ones. (His explanation)

So I took everything off and towed it to the dealers. Customer service in the area is not the greatest. I usually have issues with every dealer I need help from even when the car is under warranty. Any time something goes wrong big or small they try to get you to take the fall. So I don't feel bad for sending it in, getting it covered, and putting up a fight while doing so. Also don't feel bad for Subaru for not making a strong enough motor to handle simple mods. They replaced the short block which included gaskets, rings, seals, thermostat, cylinders, screws, bearings, removed metal shavings etc.

My advice to anyone doing their research right now to mod their vehicle:

Don't make the mistake I did and mod your daily driver. (Subaru provided a car but its still not fun knowing your car is in the shop, time without a functioning car, borrowing a car and the uncertainty of warranty coverage). Also do a lot of research on the tuner you choose even if you have to travel far to find a good one. (Mine was rated well but I should have gone straight to Cobb facilities). Don't take no [email protected]% from dealers or Subaru in getting your stuff covered. These are major corporations that win more than they lose. Plus a tuners vehicle should be able to handle a few mods. Thats what people buy them for. Not fuel efficiency. Finally, the mechanic also advised that if I am going to be modifying the car; I would likely need to rebuild the engine with stronger parts to support the mods even a low stage one or two. This would cost an estimate of 5k. I hope this has been helpful to many. I still love the car after the whole ordeal. Good luck to you all.

This sounds an awful lot like warranty fraud.
wrxcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 11:34 PM   #2975
DrD
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 22412
Join Date: Aug 2002
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Vehicle:
2012 Legacy 2.5GT
Ice Silver Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grosales101 View Post
Modifications: Uppipe, downpipe, intercooler, intake, catback, short throw shifter, access port.

...So I took everything off and towed it to the dealers... They replaced the short block which included gaskets, rings, seals, thermostat, cylinders, screws, bearings, removed metal shavings etc.
If you didn't tell them about the up-pipe/downpipe/tune when you brought it in, that would be fraud.
DrD is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trouble/Warranty Denial Report Thread: Electrical (Lighting, ECU, Sensors, Etc.) North Ursalia Warranty Issues & SOA Problems 127 12-09-2017 12:48 PM
Trouble/Warranty Denial Report Thread: Suspension North Ursalia Warranty Issues & SOA Problems 53 11-16-2017 08:54 PM
Trouble/Warranty Denial Report Thread: Interior North Ursalia Warranty Issues & SOA Problems 67 07-26-2017 09:46 AM
Trouble/Warranty Denial Report Thread: Body/Exterior of Vehicle North Ursalia Warranty Issues & SOA Problems 143 12-09-2016 04:07 PM
Trouble/Warranty Denial Report Thread: Braking System North Ursalia Warranty Issues & SOA Problems 94 11-23-2016 06:27 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2017 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2017, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.