Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Engine Management & Tuning

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 02-26-2004, 12:58 AM   #1
fullthrottleguy
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 53740
Default Does anyone know the STI 2.5LCoil pinout?

I'm trying to use an aftermarket (Redline Weber) ECU with my 2004 WRX STI 2.5L for off-road use.

I seem to have everything figured out and wired except but I can't figure out the 3 wires on the coils?

There are different wires on the front coils and rear coils (mounted on the plugs) I think they should be +, - and Trigger ( ground to fire coil).

I looked through the service manual ( I downloaded) - no luck.

Any idea if this is the same as the JDM EJ20?

Any help is greatly appreciated - thanks
fullthrottleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2004, 05:49 AM   #2
Delicious Tuning
Former Vendor

Member#: 1990

Are you talking about the coil packs on the STi and/or WRX wether they are the same or not? I believe there are only three wires that go to coil pack.

One is + (part of connector)
One is - (part of connector)
One is the current to zap the trigger

Cheers,
Bill Knose
I-Speed USA
www.i-speed.us
Delicious Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 09:44 AM   #3
fullthrottleguy
Scooby Newbie

Default Thanks for the info - But I need specifics

Yes the packs have 3 wires but I cannot figure out which one is the positive (+) , negative (-) and trigger (~). That is my issue.

There must be a manual somewhere that gives the pinout so you can test the coil? I'm thinking Chilton or Alldata?

I'm looking for a descriptionlike this so I can figure out how to wire the coils: put +12 on the Black/yellow wire and ground the Blue/white wire, Trigger the Green/yellow to test spark...

Someone must have used an aftermarket ECU with an EJ20 JDM or the 04 STI?

Thanks again
Alex
Old 02-27-2004, 03:50 PM   #4
STI_FFY
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 37519
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2004 STi JBP/Gold
Helix DP, SMC, Cobb AP

Default Re: Thanks for the info - But I need specifics

Quote:
Originally posted by fullthrottleguy
There must be a manual somewhere that gives the pinout so you can test the coil? I'm thinking Chilton or Alldata?
2004 STI Maintenance Manual, Section 6 (Wiring) Chapter 15 (Engine Electrical System.pdf) Page WI-117 shows the connectors for the ignitors of the STI.

According to this drawing:

Pin 3 of all 4 igniters are tied together and are fed from the fuseblock by fuse # 11. Wirecolor for all 4 at the igniter connector is given as RY (Red/Yellow - you did not mention any Red wires ??).

Pin 2 is the trigger for each cylinder. Wirecolor varies by cyl (GY, LY, WY, Y) (L = Blue)

Pin 1 is tied together for cyls 1&3 and 2&4, and both of these pairs end up tied together at the ground block. Wire color is BY (Black/Yellow).

IF the wire colors you are seeing do not match this documentation, can you see pin numbers?
STI_FFY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 08:25 PM   #5
fullthrottleguy
Scooby Newbie

Smile Thank you... Pinout is great

This information is exactly what I needed, and the color code matches perfectly.

Looks like I'll have it running this weekend !

Thank you