Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday March 19, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 01-04-2014, 03:33 PM   #326
FuJi K
Scooby Guru

Member#: 3687
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
MY99 GF4 JDM 6spd
NF Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiryu View Post

Primarily at this point, yeah. Right now, I tend to cruise around town in fifth gear, for example. I recently drove my cousin's stock 2003 WRX, and starting in first gear of that car reminded me of starting in third in my car.

I don't need to go 60mph in first, but it'd be nice to be able to get there in second--especially when you compare the gearing to other sports cars with the same power/weight ratio (some of which in fact do 60 in first). The high speed gears look like a nice improvement, but I'm curious if the ratios wouldn't still be a bit too short...
I don't know your engine setup. I don't know your powerband. Daily driver you say. Want wider gear spacing? Do you have a V8 LSx swap?

Really you should be choosing the tranny/gearing what you're using the car for. You can't have it all sir. I find it that the long gears suit a lot of what people are using the car for here in the U.S.

Here is Ben's 20G xtr with long gears with a redline of 7000.

Here it is shifting at 8000rpms.
FuJi K is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2014, 04:09 PM   #327
Hiryu
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 31952
Vehicle:
2013 Murtaya R, S
Model S Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuJi K View Post
I don't know your engine setup. I don't know your powerband. Daily driver you say. Want wider gear spacing? Do you have a V8 LSx swap?

Really you should be choosing the tranny/gearing what you're using the car for. You can't have it all sir. I find it that the long gears suit a lot of what people are using the car for here in the U.S.
This is the car:

It's got a USDM STi AWD powertrain (with the USDM 2005 6-speed gearset ratios) but weighs a lot less. It's still got the stock turbo but has a front mount, custom full 3" exhaust, and AP custom tune. It's not that it's putting out that much power, but the fact that there's a lot less mass that needs to be moved around (especially since the STi powertrain is relatively torquey). I always felt the 6-speed in a stock STi was a bit shortly-geared for cruising, even more so in a modified STi, and especially so in a modified STi-powered car that's even lighter.

I think the high speed gears are probably great; it's just that on paper I can't tell if the ratio differences are enough to notice in my application? I know that an optimum gearing solution requires taking the exact powerband nature into account, but even just by feel, the car feels like the gearing could be at least another 30% if not even 50% taller and feel a lot better during its daily driving duties. I was just curious if there are any gearsets that might be closer to those ratio changes, as the high speed ratios are only around 6% to 18% higher (not sure what you meant by 'wanting it all'?).

Thanks-

Last edited by Hiryu; 01-04-2014 at 04:21 PM.
Hiryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:24 PM   #328
FuJi K
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
MY99 GF4 JDM 6spd
NF Performance

The spec B's gear spacing when shifting at lower RPMs seems tight but when you shift at higher RPMs the spacing magnifies and is further spread out. If you're looking for a daily driving cruising gear set then grab a 5spd. Just know that it won't be as beefy nor well geared for what looks to be a performance vehicle built for track use.

I just hate to see a performance car dogged down for something other than what it was built for. That car in my eyes screams 8000RPMs 500bhp.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:05 AM   #329
Hiryu
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 31952
Vehicle:
2013 Murtaya R, S
Model S Plaid

Quote:
The spec B's gear spacing when shifting at lower RPMs seems tight but when you shift at higher RPMs the spacing magnifies and is further spread out. If you're looking for a daily driving cruising gear set then grab a 5spd. Just know that it won't be as beefy nor well geared for what looks to be a performance vehicle built for track use.

I just hate to see a performance car dogged down for something other than what it was built for. That car in my eyes screams 8000RPMs 500bhp.
Thanks again for the info. I guess everybody has different tastes; I got this car to be an enjoyable and reliable cruiser and show car:

(I got this other one to be the high-strung, track-day beater/screamer...I can do the short ratios and 8000rpm redline with it: )
Hiryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:43 PM   #330
Jmoneyzzz
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 329553
Vehicle:
01 RS-TI

Okay so how exactly how would an 06 sti gears compared to 05 sti, 07 sti and the spec c gears. I have a swapped GC8 with 06 sti drivetrain and engine and alright it is great on the track it's a bit of a drag on the streets. I was going to make my L a project but I'm gonna make it my daily instead.
Jmoneyzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:24 PM   #331
FuJi K
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
MY99 GF4 JDM 6spd
NF Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmoneyzzz View Post
Okay so how exactly how would an 06 sti gears compared to 05 sti, 07 sti and the spec c gears. I have a swapped GC8 with 06 sti drivetrain and engine and alright it is great on the track it's a bit of a drag on the streets. I was going to make my L a project but I'm gonna make it my daily instead.
Run the ratios in the calculator.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:47 PM   #332
capwilly
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 365603
Default re: transmission gearing

You're prowess regarding this subject is impressive but leaves my particular questions somewhat on a cliff. I am a former racer from over 30 years ago ( Lotus 47, 289 Cobra, Jaguar e-Type ) and not without technical acumen and have a 02' bugeye wagon now which I love and am in the process of tricking out. The departure here from my experience and my past and it seems all others is that for the moment I am choosing to use an a/t transmision in the car. Today's technology with paddle shifiting , etc. blows away traditional manual transmisions and it is no longer possible for the human to compete with the computer quickness available. So,,,, barring my spending a fortune on this new technology, and assuming I decide to remain attempting to use an a/t transmission,,,, what would your advice be on the most effective gearbox, gear ratios and most importantly, torque converter to aproximate the sophistication of this most current equipment. Thanks kindly, Capwilly
capwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:20 AM   #333
FuJi K
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
MY99 GF4 JDM 6spd
NF Performance

Thank you for the kind words.

There are a few autos that Subaru offers in their lineup. However getting them to work require some merging likely of wires and TCUs.

If all possible, I'd like to try the Tribeca's 5spd auto. Some people however just build a 4spd auto for drag racing purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capwilly View Post
You're prowess regarding this subject is impressive but leaves my particular questions somewhat on a cliff. I am a former racer from over 30 years ago ( Lotus 47, 289 Cobra, Jaguar e-Type ) and not without technical acumen and have a 02' bugeye wagon now which I love and am in the process of tricking out. The departure here from my experience and my past and it seems all others is that for the moment I am choosing to use an a/t transmision in the car. Today's technology with paddle shifiting , etc. blows away traditional manual transmisions and it is no longer possible for the human to compete with the computer quickness available. So,,,, barring my spending a fortune on this new technology, and assuming I decide to remain attempting to use an a/t transmission,,,, what would your advice be on the most effective gearbox, gear ratios and most importantly, torque converter to aproximate the sophistication of this most current equipment. Thanks kindly, Capwilly
Old 10-08-2014, 12:31 PM   #334
pit99
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 403465

Hi im looking inf about this gear ty752vrcaa from impreza 2.0 n/a 1997. and legacy II 2.0 n/a1994 ty752vraaa

this gears have the same ratios?? ??

i wanna put gear from impreza to legacy becaus gear from legacy is dead
pit99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 12:22 PM   #335
FuJi K
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
MY99 GF4 JDM 6spd
NF Performance

http://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-...tml?styleid=26

3.9 final drive ratio
Legacy,
3.9 Final drive the ratios are:

Your Legacy:
http://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-...y752vraaa.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by pit99 View Post
Hi im looking inf about this gear ty752vrcaa from impreza 2.0 n/a 1997. and legacy II 2.0 n/a1994 ty752vraaa

this gears have the same ratios?? ??

i wanna put gear from impreza to legacy becaus gear from legacy is dead
Old 10-09-2014, 12:50 PM   #336
pit99
Scooby Newbie

thenks for help

I can put gear of the impreza to legacy ? the same ratio
Old 10-09-2014, 01:30 PM   #337
FuJi K
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
MY99 GF4 JDM 6spd
NF Performance

final drive ratios are not the same. You can swap the rear diff to match.

Quote:
thenks for help

I can put gear of the impreza to legacy ? the same ratio
Old 10-09-2014, 01:52 PM   #338
pit99
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
http://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-...tml?styleid=26

3.9 final drive ratio
Legacy,
3.9 Final drive the ratios are:

Your Legacy:
http://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-...y752vraaa.html
but i have ty752 VRAAA not VBAAA
Old 10-17-2014, 03:08 AM   #339
FuJi K
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
MY99 GF4 JDM 6spd
NF Performance

Quote:
but i have ty752 VRAAA not VBAAA
I don't have experience with transmisions out of country in other countries besides Japan.
Being NA, my only guess is it may run a 4.111/3.900 of that generation. If AWD you can simply rotate the driveshaft to the rear and count how many rotations of driveshaft to axle. It'll give you the final drive at least.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:37 PM   #340
Northwest97
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 389073
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2006 Subaru WRX
Aspen White

Fuji, you seem to be insanely knowledgeable on this so thank you for helping all of us. I'm looking into a gf8 project right now and I'm trying to figure out the best transmission to hold the power. From what I have seen the six speed swap is the way to go but since I'm a high schooler I was looking more towards budget for now.
The numbers I'm looking at pushing are 350-400whp. Most likely going with a hybrid 2.0L head Ej257. Would a legacy gt gear set be the way to go or should I look into a RA STI 5 spd? I read most of the thread but the information I gleamed was mostly about FD so I apologize if this question has already been asked and I skimmed over it.

Sent from my iPhone using NASIOC
Northwest97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 10:35 PM   #341
FuJi K
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
MY99 GF4 JDM 6spd
NF Performance

Since you are in highschool and on a budget you need to be easy on the power. It'll save you on broken gears and also gas and other to be broken parts. The 5spd gears are getting to cost as much as the 6spd Long Gears.

The STi 6spds can be had for cheaper nowadays. It wasn't like that when I bought mine 2yrs after highschool. If you're lucky you might get a 6spd setup to the knuckles for $3000.

If you had to get a 5spd, mate it to a WRX pull type 5spd. Use 4.111FD or if you can find a 4.444FD do that with the RA gears if not the regular STi 5spd gears.

But at 350-400whp is pushing the limits of the gears. They are rather small compared to 6spd stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest97 View Post
Fuji, you seem to be insanely knowledgeable on this so thank you for helping all of us. I'm looking into a gf8 project right now and I'm trying to figure out the best transmission to hold the power. From what I have seen the six speed swap is the way to go but since I'm a high schooler I was looking more towards budget for now.
The numbers I'm looking at pushing are 350-400whp. Most likely going with a hybrid 2.0L head Ej257. Would a legacy gt gear set be the way to go or should I look into a RA STI 5 spd? I read most of the thread but the information I gleamed was mostly about FD so I apologize if this question has already been asked and I skimmed over it.

Old 11-22-2014, 02:05 PM   #342
Northwest97
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 389073
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2006 Subaru WRX
Aspen White

Quote:
Since you are in highschool and on a budget you need to be easy on the power. It'll save you on broken gears and also gas and other to be broken parts. The 5spd gears are getting to cost as much as the 6spd Long Gears.

The STi 6spds can be had for cheaper nowadays. It wasn't like that when I bought mine 2yrs after highschool. If you're lucky you might get a 6spd setup to the knuckles for $3000.

If you had to get a 5spd, mate it to a WRX pull type 5spd. Use 4.111FD or if you can find a 4.444FD do that with the RA gears if not the regular STi 5spd gears.

But at 350-400whp is pushing the limits of the gears. They are rather small compared to 6spd stuff.

I'm starting to realize the unrealistic goal I had set now that I bought the project car.

I'm still fairly new to the car world, so I have a question about what you a said. What do you mean by mating it to a WRX pull type 5spd?
For the 4.11 would you recommend looking at LGT transmissions or older JDM 5spds?

Thank you Fuji. I really appreciate you taking your time to help answer my questions!
Northwest97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 01:04 AM   #343
FuJi K
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
MY99 GF4 JDM 6spd
NF Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest97 View Post
I'm still fairly new to the car world, so I have a question about what you a said. What do you mean by mating it to a WRX pull type 5spd?
For the 4.11 would you recommend looking at LGT transmissions or older JDM 5spds?

Thank you Fuji. I really appreciate you taking your time to help answer my questions!
I prefer the pull type clutch wrx tranny (i.e. 02-05 usdm wrx). Don't have to worry about the clutch fork breaking.

The 4.111 is a nice medium final drive for the gearing that we have available on the 5spd trannys. You can go 3.900 or 4.444 if you need it to suit what your application is. I was saying you can get this ring and pinion from NA 5spds if needed.
Old 04-18-2015, 10:22 AM   #344
spoolinsti05
Scooby Guru

Member#: 108051
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Vehicle:
2005 WRX STi
WRB

I want the long gear but don't want to rev over 7800 making 650+whp on mustang dyno 26" tall Nittos. Even just the tall 6th would be nice for my long road trips I'm so indecisive..
spoolinsti05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 01:46 PM   #345
Gluis
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 245584
Chapter/Region: International
Vehicle:
07 Impreza WRX STI

Hello Fuji K, It has been really interesting and enlightening to read this thread. As others had pointed out, you really know your gears! (Top Gearhead maybe? )

my question is little out there: I have a 07 STI with around 450WHP. It is street driven but not daily driven (Usually I put less than 500 miles per year on it).

I'm getting around purchasing and installing a Xshift +Plus sequential transmission on it. They offer 3 different gearsets for it:

2.90, 2.08, 1.62, 1.31, 1.10, 0.94

2.90, 2.00, 1.50, 1.21, 1.00, 0.83

2.60, 1.75, 1.31, 1.05, 0.86, 0.73

First thing I noticed is that 1st gear is way taller than all STI 6 speeds. Will this be ok for street driving and quarter mile?

Which one would you recommend for street and drag racing, but that will be acceptable for high speed spirited runs? I know I can't have it all, what I want is to know what would be great for street and 1/4 mile but acceptable for everything else.

I have a built motor but with stock heads (part of the plan is to add stg 2 cams and ancillary valvetrain in the near future though), a BPT Dominator 3XTR, Methanol injection and a WAIC system. The way it is now I usually shift at 7200RPM when pushing it.

Sorry for the long post. I might be putting more info than necessary but better to have it and not need it than the opposite. Any suggestions will be extremely appreciated!

Last edited by Gluis; 07-30-2022 at 02:11 PM.
Gluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 12:12 AM   #346
FuJi K
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
MY99 GF4 JDM 6spd
NF Performance

The last gearset is better suited for any 1/4mi stuff and straightline acceleration runs. Biggest reason is the long 4th gear.

However your engine setup could be more efficient with a different turbo choice. If you where 650whp, the gearset would work much better. If you're 850whp, it'll suit the longer gearset better in my opinion as you'll also be revving up to 9000rpms. You really stretch out each gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gluis View Post
Hello Fuji K, It has been really interesting and enlightening to read this thread. As others had pointed out, you really know your gears! (Top Gearhead maybe? )

my question is little out there: I have a 07 STI with around 450WHP. It is street driven but not daily driven (Usually I put less than 500 miles per year on it).

I'm getting around purchasing and installing a Xshift +Plus sequential transmission on it. They offer 3 different gearsets for it:

2.90, 2.08, 1.62, 1.31, 1.10, 0.94

2.90, 2.00, 1.50, 1.21, 1.00, 0.83

2.60, 1.75, 1.31, 1.05, 0.86, 0.73

First thing I noticed is that 1st gear is way taller than all STI 6 speeds. Will this be ok for street driving and quarter mile?

Which one would you recommend for street and drag racing, but that will be acceptable for high speed spirited runs? I know I can't have it all, what I want is to know what would be great for street and 1/4 mile but acceptable for everything else.

I have a built motor but with stock heads (part of the plan is to add stg 2 cams and ancillary valvetrain in the near future though), a BPT Dominator 3XTR, Methanol injection and a WAIC system. The way it is now I usually shift at 7200RPM when pushing it.

Sorry for the long post. I might be putting more info than necessary but better to have it and not need it than the opposite. Any suggestions will be extremely appreciated!
Old 01-23-2023, 11:19 AM   #347
FuJi K
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
MY99 GF4 JDM 6spd
NF Performance

Added 2018-2021 sti gearset update and 6spd cable trans ratios.

Last edited by FuJi K; 01-23-2023 at 10:37 PM.
Old 01-23-2023, 03:39 PM   #348
charliew
Scooby Specialist

Member#: 125304
Default staying the course

fuji you are a great provider to the nasioc group, thank you so much
charliew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 08:51 AM   #349
FuJi K
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
MY99 GF4 JDM 6spd
NF Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliew View Post
fuji you are a great provider to the nasioc group, thank you so much
You're welcome!

Seeing well setup Subaru's is what i like to see.