Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday March 19, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 02-16-2008, 05:28 AM   #1
CCTXRS
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 158181
Vehicle:
2001 Impreza RS
Black

Default clutch adjustment/ clutch problems

on hydro man trans. do you need to adjust the clutch the more it wears down? if not i have a problem and idk what it is

alright so i got my 01 Rs about 5 months ago... and ever sense i had it ive had a few problems with my clutch. Well i could push down the peddle all the way to the floor and seriously i let off a centimeter and it would start to engage. That and the slave cylinder piston was not fully pressed against the throw out fork. So i get under the dash and i ajust the rod that gos to the master cylinder all the way out. Then i had to adjust the clutch peddle a lil bit in to have the slave piston fully pressured to the fork plate. or w/e its called. Is this normal.... or what could be the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated cause i know little about transmissions....
CCTXRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2008, 09:01 AM   #2
DrD
Scooby Guru

Member#: 22412
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Vehicle:
2024 Legacy Sport

you can adjust the pedals, but for a hydraulic clutch (master+slave) there's nothing else to adjust
DrD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 10:36 AM   #3
CCTXRS
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2001 Impreza RS
Black

ok well you can adjust the peddle yes... then there is a silver rod that gos through the firewall that i believe go's to the master cylinder.... it is ajustiable also... i adjusted it.

look here... on part A

http://phunkadelic.org/WRX/4_-_Transmission.pdf
go to clutch system
then master cylinder.

theres a pic there the first one and you can see that is for sure adjustable
Old 02-16-2008, 10:56 AM   #4
Mulder
Trust no one

Member#: 11170
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
02 RAV4 MT
15 WRX/11 CRZ

There is only one adjustment, the master cylinder pushrod length. This is only supposed to be used to initially set the proper pedal travel and freeplay, and is NOT intended to be used as a means to compensate for wear. As the clutch disc wears and nears the end of its life, the engagement point on the pedal will get higher. This is a sign that the clutch should be replaced soon.
An engagement point too close to the floor, especially when accompanied by excess free play or a soft pedal, indicates a problem with the hydraulic system. This can be as simple as trapped air, which can be corrected by bleeding, or more serious as in a bad master or slave cylinder.
Mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 04:45 PM   #5
CCTXRS
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2001 Impreza RS
Black

see i thought that it was self adjusting myself... there for i was kinda weirded out by having to adjust so much crap. Now which should i replace first... master cylinder or slave...

ive tried bleedin it and there was no air in the line from what i saw.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:41 PM   #6
Mulder
Trust no one

Member#: 11170
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
02 RAV4 MT
15 WRX/11 CRZ

If you've bled the system and still have a soft pedal, it's best to replace both the master and slave at the same time. This is because you usually can't tell which one is actually bad (unless it is visibly leaking), and also because when only one is replaced the other one will typically fail shortly afterward.
Mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 12:26 AM   #7
CCTXRS
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2001 Impreza RS
Black

hmm good call. thx
Old 01-03-2010, 10:41 PM   #8
95preza
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 233965
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2011 WRB WRX
2000 Impreza L

I think I have a similar problem, I just got a 95 Impreza, 1.8, 5spd, AWD, the clutch engages within the first 1/4 of releasing it, other than that everything is fine. So Im wondering what excess free play and soft pedal is?
95preza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:41 PM   #9
Storm
Scooby Guru

Member#: 5218
Vehicle:
96L Most Over-
Developed Beater

The 95 is cable operated and easy to adjust. Go under the hood and look at the fork with the cable attached to it. Push the fork toward the back of the car and note how much cable slack you have. Tighten the nuts so that they remove (almost all) the slack. I try to keep it to where I can slightly wiggle the fork forward/backward, but no more than 1/8" of free play.

Jay
Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:11 AM   #10
sense of nature
Scooby Guru

Member#: 112759
Vehicle:
2015 Stock OEM AsFu*
3.6r OMG S.C'd

^^ Good advice +1
sense of nature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:18 PM   #11
95preza
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 233965
Vehicle:
2011 WRB WRX
2000 Impreza L

That worked perfectly, thank you!!
95preza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 07:32 PM   #12
Larry L
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 473946
Default clutch problem

I have a 2005 STI 2.5 Turbo. I had the clutch replaced at a shop since I didn't have time. Soon after the master cylinder went bad. I replaced the Master cylinder, Slave, and both hydraulic lines. I wanted to start fresh. I bled the system and still can't get any peddle. It just sits on the floor. How much travel should there be on the throw out bearing rod that the slave cylinder pushes?
Larry L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 06:08 PM   #13
sandyscoob
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 498711
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
WRBlue repainted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry L View Post
I have a 2005 STI 2.5 Turbo. I had the clutch replaced at a shop since I didn't have time. Soon after the master cylinder went bad. I replaced the Master cylinder, Slave, and both hydraulic lines. I wanted to start fresh. I bled the system and still can't get any peddle. It just sits on the floor. How much travel should there be on the throw out bearing rod that the slave cylinder pushes?
bump anyjuan? upgraded clutch here and wondering how far to adjust for release and clamping of new clutch
sandyscoob is offline   Reply With Quote