Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday March 19, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 10-07-2019, 10:07 AM   #1
ilovedemhotrides
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 326147
Vehicle:
2004 STI
wrb

Default "Normal" play in axles / driveshaft ?

I was wondering if this is normal? I am checking for play and noticed the following:

--- I can rotate my driveshaft about 2-5 degrees (neutral / in gear), which seems a little excessive.... The driveshaft spins from both the sides of the u-joint - coming out of the trans and also into the rear diff. So it's not only one side spinning, but rather the entire driveshaft.

--- My front axles can be rotated by spinning the tire by hand in either direction about 2 degrees which produces a click heard near where they go into the differential. This is like dead space prior to the other wheel spinning.

Is this normal for an 04 STI? I was wondering if this sounds like the front axle splines are a little worn off, causing some play?

If not, what do you think ?
ilovedemhotrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2019, 10:49 PM   #2
Drewsey
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 507991
Default Play

Hi

This is something I’m wondering about myself. I personally own a 1998 Impreza Outback sport and have noticed an insane amount of play in the driveline. When I’m in first gear the car can buck like crazy if I’m not smooth on the gas and it lurches a lot. It gets better in higher gears. Is this something all older Subie’s do? I replaced my front axles recently and it didn’t make much difference. My thinking is it’s a combination of normal play in the trans, u joints, rear diff, axles, and mounts/bushings.
Drewsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 07:14 PM   #3
EastPhilly
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 491030

I was under my car about an hour ago and turn the front wheels while it was raised up. I definitely had a "dead space" when I rotate them. Not sure if that's correct, but I don't see to have a problem (hopefully) that I can think of. I'm getting a tiny bit of play in the shaft, but it's more of a gentle shift than a lot of play.
EastPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 07:23 PM   #4
EastPhilly
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 491030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewsey View Post
Hi

This is something I’m wondering about myself. I personally own a 1998 Impreza Outback sport and have noticed an insane amount of play in the driveline. When I’m in first gear the car can buck like crazy if I’m not smooth on the gas and it lurches a lot. It gets better in higher gears. Is this something all older Subie’s do? I replaced my front axles recently and it didn’t make much difference. My thinking is it’s a combination of normal play in the trans, u joints, rear diff, axles, and mounts/bushings.
Mine is a bit jerky/jumpy getting into 1st and second. I think it's just a matter of the rev hang combined with how low the gears are. So they kind of build RPM pretty quickly and its a bit harder to get it smoothly unless you slip the clutch a lot. If I don't really focus and think about the friction point of my clutch I will get that bucking as well. mine is a 2007 WRX. Minimal play in the shaft and other drive components.
EastPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote