Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday October 28, 2020
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > General Community

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 10-15-2020, 04:02 PM   #26
rtv900
Scooby Guru

Member#: 428511
Vehicle:
2016 STI

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyposeur View Post
I replaced everything on my 2003 wrx (engine, trans, brakes, etc.) when I bought it with a blown engine. I knew that is what I had to do in order to have it function properly and be somewhat reliable. I wanted a project and I liked bugeyes.

Some of use just like older Subarus. Maybe the OP is the same way.

Fortunately I can do all the work and I enjoyed the process.

But yeah, if you are going to buy an older turbo subaru don't expect it to be headache free, cheap, or reliable.
right and I bet you were realistic about the value given it's condition

I'm not saying anything about somebody buying an old car and wanting to restore it. I bought a truck from a junkyard 15 years ago, and it looked exactly like a truck that sat in a junkyard for 40 years.
I'm making a point about aftermarket extended warranties being scams and it being extremely hard to believe he got 15 grand in covered repairs, and

his position being odd that that particular car is worth more than a few grand as it sits 15 years old when he went on and on about every major system failing in his short ownership

I've never once heard a guy pitching the good value of his used car immediately after describing virtually everything failing on him
rtv900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2020, 04:06 PM   #27
Subnetwork
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 489026

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoshi1 View Post
Where are you located? Camelback Subaru is amazing, but that is in Phoenix, AZ.

Hmm, KY, will they sell to out of state?
Subnetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 04:08 PM   #28
Subnetwork
Scooby Newbie

A lot of me getting a warranty is just piece of mind, and unfortunately mine is a CVT model, so I think that adds to the reason to get the warranty. I also do drive it like you would a sports car. Although I do take care of it, oil change every 2-4k miles depending, and I always wait till its operating temp to boost, and let the turbo cool before parking, etc. Edit just realized I didn't mention mine is a 2019 WRX Limited with eyesight...So yeah a lot of stuff that could go wrong.
Old 10-15-2020, 04:12 PM   #29
rtv900
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2016 STI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subnetwork View Post
A lot of me getting a warranty is just piece of mind, and unfortunately mine is a CVT model, so I think that adds to the reason to get the warranty. I also do drive it like you would a sports car. Although I do take care of it, oil change every 2-4k miles depending, and I always wait till its operating temp to boost, and let the turbo cool before parking, etc. Edit just realized I didn't mention mine is a 2019 WRX.
^you should be in good shape then

ProjectN54 just pm'd me and said he forgot to mention he owned a forester and got the deluxe warranty and a space ship landed on it one day.
He said the dealer was about to charge him $87,000 dollars because NASA was getting involved, wanted to impound it, etc, but he insisted they call the extended warranty company and they covered that Sh&t no questions asked.
Apparently it was a ship just like that one in Flight of the Navigator where it can change shape and stuff.
Old 10-15-2020, 04:14 PM   #30
Subnetwork
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtv900 View Post

ProjectN54 just pm'd me and said he forgot to mention he owned a forester and got the deluxe warranty and a space ship landed on it one day.
He said the dealer was about to charge him $87,000 dollars because NASA was getting involved, wanted to impound it, etc, but he insisted they call the extended warranty company and they covered that Sh&t no questions asked.
Apparently it was a ship just like that one in Flight of the Navigator where it can change shape and stuff.
Hahaha, gotcha, another thing to I edited that post, unfortunately, mine is a CVT with eyesight. If I would have went with a manual, I would instead just put the money in a repair savings account or something lol.
Old 10-15-2020, 04:19 PM   #31
ProjectN64
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 454737
Vehicle:
2005 STI PSM
2013 BRZ SWP

Quote:

projectn54 seems like a cool dude
ProjectN64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 04:21 PM   #32
rtv900
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2016 STI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectN64 View Post
projectn54 seems like a cool dude
yeah totally
That Flight of the Navigator ship was sick too
The vape cloud coming from the moonroof must have scrambled it's time circuits
Old 10-15-2020, 09:01 PM   #33
ProjectN64
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 454737
Vehicle:
2005 STI PSM
2013 BRZ SWP

2016: Power steering pump $741.16 (focus on second page it is noted that work is covered with 100 dollar deductible)

1. https://imgur.com/a/G7O9isv
2. https://imgur.com/a/hK4IOC4

2017: Cam seals you can see on the first page the receipt with a charge of $895.67 i paid that out of pocket for timing belt/waterpump,tensioners and the warranty company paid $1082.87 the service advisor didn't add warranty information for some reason.

1. https://imgur.com/a/DHVjD3t
2. https://i.imgur.com/Ux9g56Gh.jpg

2017: Valve covers and steering rack $2074.19

1. https://i.imgur.com/fws2GQth.jpg
2. https://imgur.com/a/wC3TpGp

2017: Wheel bearing $687.09

1. https://imgur.com/a/1VXdtR6

2017: Shortblock $6939.34

1. https://imgur.com/a/lhjaEYj
2. https://imgur.com/a/z1lfvn3

2019:Transmission $2578.74

1. https://imgur.com/a/4BximwN

Total comes out to $14103.39
ProjectN64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 07:19 AM   #34
rtv900
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2016 STI

If this is all really true you seriously probably had a better chance at hitting the powerball than redeeming that much on an aftermarket warranty
Talk about a train wreck lemon of a car

maybe it is true, but statistically my point remains about extended warranties
Old 10-16-2020, 09:14 AM   #35
Subnetwork
Scooby Newbie

So back to the OP here, any recommendations on dealerships that will give a good warranty deal out of state? lol
Old 10-16-2020, 09:15 AM   #36
Subnetwork
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
If this is all really true you seriously probably had a better chance at hitting the powerball than redeeming that much on an aftermarket warranty
Talk about a train wreck lemon of a car

maybe it is true, but statistically my point remains about extended warranties
To me, I have the money now, its peace of mind, and I might not have the money in the future if something comes up.

Being a WRX CVT with eyesight, I'dd imagine I would be much more likely to use it than I would a manual one, or non-WRX Subaru...otherwise if I was either of those I wouldn't consider it.
Old 10-16-2020, 09:43 AM   #37
JP Chestnut
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 504432
Chapter/Region: Tri-State

Quote:
So back to the OP here, any recommendations on dealerships that will give a good warranty deal out of state? lol
Where are you located? If in the mid west, try Grand in Chicago. Talk to Jeff who does Internet sales.
JP Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 10:25 AM   #38
rtv900
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2016 STI

Quote:
To me, I have the money now, its peace of mind, and I might not have the money in the future if something comes up.
I know this is America and all, but you do realize that you could SAVE the money if you have it now and are concerned you might not have it in the future right?
Rather than handing it over to someone to pre-pay for repairs that in all likelihood will not be needed?
I mean just go with the statistical facts if you are unsure. If you save the money there is a 99% chance you will pass the warranty period without spending all of it.
If you hand it over to Montel Williams Auto Warranty there is a 100% chance you spend $2500 on day one.
Old 10-16-2020, 12:48 PM   #39
Fishie31
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 366436
Vehicle:
2020 WRX STI
WR Blue

I suppose it is all based on experiences and cars. Here are mine:

1. Honda Fit - bought the extended warranty. Never had to use it because nothing major broke. All I did was put gas in it and oil change every 7k miles.
2. Honda S2000 - bought the extended warranty. No repairs ever needed. Maintenance was not covered with the warranty so I paid for every fluid changes and intervals.
3. 2013 WRX - did NOT buy the warranty. Clutch somehow melted after 4k miles. Car still ran but clutch would make weird noises after each shift. 1st service tech told me to ignore and claim warranty stuff closer to the 10k(?) miles. Service advisor called me back and said to take a ride with her. She observed my driving for about 10 miles and concluded that I am not riding the clutch and chalked it up to a faulty clutch. Replaced under warranty for free. After that the car ran like a champ until July of this year when I sold it and got the STI. Only thing I paid for was intervals and oil changes after the 24k miles.

I was also bored and read the warranty paper work before I shredded them. This is AFTER I got the WRX. I know I should have read the fine prints when I got them, but I relied o the TL;DR info sheet (dumb, I know) when I got it. Those warranties did not cover any major repairs unless there is a catastrophic powertrain failure. Like if you're engine blew up or something.

So my own experience is that the warranties were unnecessary because those failures are 1 in a million chances unless you have heavy modding, drive like a maniac, or do not properly maintain your car. Maybe all of the above. Once again, this is just my own experience so my opinion is to save yourself $3000 or so for repairs that you will unlikely ever need.
Fishie31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 05:09 PM   #40
Subnetwork
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
I know this is America and all, but you do realize that you could SAVE the money if you have it now and are concerned you might not have it in the future right?
Rather than handing it over to someone to pre-pay for repairs that in all likelihood will not be needed?
I mean just go with the statistical facts if you are unsure. If you save the money there is a 99% chance you will pass the warranty period without spending all of it.
If you hand it over to Montel Williams Auto Warranty there is a 100% chance you spend $2500 on day one.
Yeah, if it was a manual I wouldn't even care, but a CVT in eyesight I believe changes things... I see what you're saying though.
Old 10-19-2020, 05:09 PM   #41
Subnetwork
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
Where are you located? If in the mid west, try Grand in Chicago. Talk to Jeff who does Internet sales.
Kentucky! Will they sell out of state?
Old 10-20-2020, 10:13 AM   #42
Samurai Jack
Scooby Guru

Member#: 21145
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2002 Enemy of Aku

Quote:
It doesn't matter if you are in a different state.
As long as it is a Subaru Dealer selling / offering a Subaru Factory Warranty, it is good in all 50 states.
Samurai Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 10:18 AM   #43
JP Chestnut
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 504432
Chapter/Region: Tri-State

Quote:
You won't know unless you ask.
JP Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 10:38 AM   #44
Subnetwork
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai Jack View Post
It doesn't matter if you are in a different state.
As long as it is a Subaru Dealer selling / offering a Subaru Factory Warranty, it is good in all 50 states.
Hmm, interesting. A couple I contacted here out of state said they couldn't sell to out of state customers anymore.
Old 10-23-2020, 10:38 AM   #45
Subnetwork
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
You won't know unless you ask.
Sent them a "contact us" detailing what I was asking, someone called me right away asking if I would wanna come in for a test drive, I then clarified what I was needing, they then said they would pass it on, lol, I never heard back.
Old 10-23-2020, 10:58 AM   #46
Samurai Jack
Scooby Guru

Member#: 21145
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2002 Enemy of Aku

Quote:
Hmm, interesting. A couple I contacted here out of state said they couldn't sell to out of state customers anymore.
Did these places say why they can't sell to out-of-staters any more? It may be they just don't want to do it simply because you won't be coming to them for service.

A Factory Subaru Warranty is good in all 50 states so it should not make a difference.
Do some Google searching on Subaru Factory warranties. You may find what you are looking for.
Samurai Jack is offline   Reply With Quote