Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday April 9, 2020
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Tire & Wheel Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Tire & Wheel

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2006, 02:08 PM   #1
chimchimm5
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 88501
Join Date: Jun 2005
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: NorCal
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Hatch
Dark Grey

Default I come full circle back the the BBS wheels

After tons of searching and reading threads, I feel like I'm just going to have to spend the money and get the BBS wheel option, because of offset. The BBS wheels are strong and weigh only 15.6 lbs (from what I read) and are in the stock size of 17x7jj alloy, 5 lug, 215/45ZR17, offset 55.

It's just freaking expensive, which is why people avoid it if they can.

Lightweight stock size wheel and maintaining scrub radius is important to me, and there aren't any lightweight aftermarket rims (that weight less than 15.6 lbs) with offset of 55mm (or near it).

Now, before I go and spend over $2500 on just rims, does anyone have any info I might have overlooked?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
chimchimm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 02-07-2006, 02:26 PM   #2
express_wagon
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 68346
Join Date: Aug 2004
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2019 GLI
2004 Tacoma

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimchimm5
After tons of searching and reading threads, I feel like I'm just going to have to spend the money and get the BBS wheel option, because of offset. The BBS wheels are strong and weigh only 15.6 lbs (from what I read) and are in the stock size of 17x7jj alloy, 5 lug, 215/45ZR17, offset 55.

It's just freaking expensive, which is why people avoid it if they can.

Lightweight stock size wheel and maintaining scrub radius is important to me, and there aren't any lightweight aftermarket rims (that weight less than 15.6 lbs) with offset of 55mm (or near it).

Now, before I go and spend over $2500 on just rims, does anyone have any info I might have overlooked?


i'll be the first to go. if you do drop the $2500 for factory BBS, you are stupid. for that kinda money, you can pick up some lightweight SSRs, Volks, Enkeis so on so forth. Not only SSRs Volks Enkeis are better wheels, they are also wider and will likely have excellent resale value.

Do yourself a favor, visit www.tirerack.com before you make any more wheel decisions.

and i have to say, those stock BBS are probably not 15lbs...you are probably better off picking up a set of STi take-offs if you want perfect offset, strength, and weight.
express_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 02:30 PM   #3
Uncle Scotty
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK buy Nates beans
westcoastroasting.com

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by express_wagon
i'll be the first to go. if you do drop the $2500 for factory BBS, you are stupid. for that kinda money, you can pick up some lightweight SSRs, Volks, Enkeis so on so forth. Not only SSRs Volks Enkeis are better wheels, they are also wider and will likely have excellent resale value.

Do yourself a favor, visit www.tirerack.com before you make any more wheel decisions.

and i have to say, those stock BBS are probably not 15lbs...you are probably better off picking up a set of STi take-offs if you want perfect offset, strength, and weight.
^^^^
...anybody that spends $2500 on factory wheels is, as above.
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 02:40 PM   #4
PJC1909
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 50274
Join Date: Dec 2003
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Center City Philadelphia
Vehicle:
2004 WRX Wagon
invisible

Default

+2. Spent less than that for some righteous SSR comps and 225 S03s, mounted, shipped and insured. These are a wider wheel, at least 3 pounds less than your dealer installed BBS option.

Do some more shopping.
PJC1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 02:44 PM   #5
chimchimm5
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 88501
Join Date: Jun 2005
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: NorCal
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Hatch
Dark Grey

Default

SSR Comps have been top on my list for a very long time due to their 12.5lbs weight.

However, the biggest problems are:
- 7.5" width, which bumps me out of stock autox class
- 50mm offset... a little farr from the scrub radius than I'd hoped
chimchimm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 02:48 PM   #6
chimchimm5
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 88501
Join Date: Jun 2005
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: NorCal
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Hatch
Dark Grey

Default

BTW, I was considering the Kosei K1 TS because they are 13.7 lbs and 17x7...

but they also have a 50mm offset.
chimchimm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 02:53 PM   #7
Picard
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 100204
Join Date: Nov 2005
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Vehicle:
2006 STI (retired)
WRB

Default

He mentioned BBS. He didn't mention stock.

What style BBS's were you considering because I'm looking for the same thing you are. Is there another BBS available with the same specs as stock?
Picard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 02:59 PM   #8
v8_STi
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 85908
Join Date: Apr 2005
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: GA
Vehicle:
2005 STi
100% less wing

Default

He said "wheel option" which leads people to believe the Subaru BBS "wheel option."
v8_STi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 03:01 PM   #9
chimchimm5
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 88501
Join Date: Jun 2005
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: NorCal
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Hatch
Dark Grey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picard
He mentioned BBS. He didn't mention stock.

What style BBS's were you considering because I'm looking for the same thing you are. Is there another BBS available with the same specs as stock?
Unfortunately, although I failed to mention it, I was referring to the stock BBS wheel option through Subaru. I think BBS made those wheel especially for Subie because no one makes +55 offset wheels... hence the ridiculous cost.

I'm seriously considering the Kosei K1 TS rims now, but I'm just concerned about the offset.

I'm also wondering how future suspension changes (like some lowering due to aftermarket springs) affects the scrub radius.
chimchimm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 03:01 PM   #10
VpointVick
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 93193
Join Date: Aug 2005
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Charlotte
Vehicle:
'03 325iT
Mysticblau

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picard
He mentioned BBS. He didn't mention stock.

What style BBS's were you considering because I'm looking for the same thing you are. Is there another BBS available with the same specs as stock?
He's looking at the factory optional BBS 17"

$682.82 ea.

Last edited by VpointVick; 02-07-2006 at 03:07 PM.
VpointVick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 03:04 PM   #11
VpointVick
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 93193
Join Date: Aug 2005
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Charlotte
Vehicle:
'03 325iT
Mysticblau

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimchimm5
I'm also wondering how future suspension changes (like some lowering due to aftermarket springs) affects the scrub radius.
That'll affect your auto-x classification a whole lot more.

If you're thinking about doing mods in the future, then run your stock wheels until you start modding, then get some SSR's or STi takeoffs when you go into STX.

If you get a 17x7 wheel now, it will be a liability when you get into STX.

Besides, I would still be likely to protest you with those wheels, since their kinda iffy on legality.
VpointVick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 03:09 PM   #12
Uncle Scotty
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK buy Nates beans
westcoastroasting.com

Default

Jhfc.
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 03:09 PM   #13
PJC1909
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 50274
Join Date: Dec 2003
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Center City Philadelphia
Vehicle:
2004 WRX Wagon
invisible

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VpointVick
That'll affect your auto-x classification a whole lot more.

If you're thinking about doing mods in the future, then run your stock wheels until you start modding, then get some SSR's or STi takeoffs when you go into STX.

If you get a 17x7 wheel now, it will be a liability when you get into STX.

Besides, I would still be likely to protest you with those wheels, since their kinda iffy on legality.
Oh, yeah. good point. The a/x rules do not consider the BBSs "stock." They are a "dealer installed option." = buhbye DS. Check the a/x sticky in motorsports.
PJC1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 03:13 PM   #14
VpointVick
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 93193
Join Date: Aug 2005
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Charlotte
Vehicle:
'03 325iT
Mysticblau

Default

He claims that they're port installed on the 06's, and that the port is owned by FHI, making them legal.
VpointVick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 03:19 PM   #15
thrdeye
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 24569
Join Date: Sep 2002
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: East Tennessee
Vehicle:
2004 Mazda RX8
Titanium

Default

I'm not following you. What's wrong with a 48 or 50 offset?

You can get some super-sweet-ass wheels for $2500. I would not buy the factory ones.
thrdeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 03:37 PM   #16
Scooby Freak
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 40751
Join Date: Jul 2003
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Springfield
Vehicle:
'94 SER

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJC1909
Oh, yeah. good point. The a/x rules do not consider the BBSs "stock." They are a "dealer installed option." = buhbye DS. Check the a/x sticky in motorsports.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VpointVick
He claims that they're port installed on the 06's, and that the port is owned by FHI, making them legal.
You don't have to run stock wheels, just stock 'sized' wheels. The '06 WRX comes w/ 17 x 7's, so that is legal as long as the offset is within 1/4".

And the '06 WRX would go to STU because of the 2.5 liter.
Scooby Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 03:51 PM   #17
VpointVick
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 93193
Join Date: Aug 2005
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Charlotte
Vehicle:
'03 325iT
Mysticblau

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Freak
You don't have to run stock wheels, just stock 'sized' wheels. The '06 WRX comes w/ 17 x 7's, so that is legal as long as the offset is within 1/4".

And the '06 WRX would go to STU because of the 2.5 liter.
True. both of those references that I made would apply to the <05's.

I still can't understand why he's planning on spending that much for wheels that will only be a little bit lighter than his stockers, especially since he's thinking about suspension mods in the future.
VpointVick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 04:04 PM   #18
express_wagon
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 68346
Join Date: Aug 2004
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2019 GLI
2004 Tacoma

Default

also for the $2500, the RE011s that come with it aint even all that great
express_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 04:49 PM   #19
Picard
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 100204
Join Date: Nov 2005
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Vehicle:
2006 STI (retired)
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8_STi
He said "wheel option" which leads people to believe the Subaru BBS "wheel option."
OK. Sorry, in Canada we don't have that option so I didn't know about it.
Picard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 04:56 PM   #20
UltimateLurker
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 82488
Join Date: Mar 2005
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Missouri
Vehicle:
06 Lotus Exige

Default

What's wrong with +50? Most Subie wheels are +53, and I can't fathom that 3mm will make much difference at all, care to explain?
UltimateLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 05:28 PM   #21
chimchimm5
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 88501
Join Date: Jun 2005
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: NorCal
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Hatch
Dark Grey

Default

I'm glad I started this thread. I haven't settled on the BBS options, I make thread titles like that to bring out the point, counter points (which it successfully did). I've always wanted BBS wheels in that rim pattern, but considering what else I can get for the price, it's questionable.

The 06 stock wheels have a +55 offset, so +48 is 7mm of difference.

Good discussion. Keep it coming.
chimchimm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 05:51 PM   #22
VpointVick
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 93193
Join Date: Aug 2005
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Charlotte
Vehicle:
'03 325iT
Mysticblau

Default

A 7mm offset difference wouldn't be legal in Stock. Wheels must be within 1/4" of factory offset, don't they?
VpointVick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 05:58 PM   #23
UltimateLurker
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 82488
Join Date: Mar 2005
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Missouri
Vehicle:
06 Lotus Exige

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimchimm5
The 06 stock wheels have a +55 offset, so +48 is 7mm of difference.
7mm = .27", do you really think they're going to make a stink over .02"?
UltimateLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 06:13 PM   #24
Scooby Freak
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 40751
Join Date: Jul 2003
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Springfield
Vehicle:
'94 SER

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimchimm5
I'm glad I started this thread. I haven't settled on the BBS options, I make thread titles like that to bring out the point, counter points (which it successfully did). I've always wanted BBS wheels in that rim pattern, but considering what else I can get for the price, it's questionable.

The 06 stock wheels have a +55 offset, so +48 is 7mm of difference.

Good discussion. Keep it coming.
You still aren't telling us your goals. Autocross? Definately staying in D-stock? And I thought the BBS option was +53 offset?
Scooby Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 06:34 PM   #25
VpointVick
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 93193
Join Date: Aug 2005
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Charlotte
Vehicle:
'03 325iT
Mysticblau

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateLurker
7mm = .27", do you really think they're going to make a stink over .02"?
Closer to .28", which is getting to be almost 12% beyond the whats allowed by the rules.

Would I protest him for that? No, probably not.

Would he lose a protest at Divisionals or Nationals if somebody raised it? I bet that he would.
VpointVick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OT comes full circle. SkirtBoy Off-Topic 5 03-13-2006 12:06 PM
STi front/back seats, Gold BBS wheels and tires ..:bigFAT:.. Private 'For Sale' Classifieds 10 03-10-2006 10:40 PM
My life has come full circle ... wrxtony 'Old School' Subaru Forum 5 09-09-2004 12:45 AM
Are these the Subaru BBS wheels for 300 each? THEMUSH Brakes, Steering & Suspension 4 05-04-2002 07:40 AM
when are the factory bbs wheels gunna be avail? rockstar Brakes, Steering & Suspension 0 07-31-2001 04:49 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2020 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.