Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday March 18, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > NASIOC Official News, Articles and Polls

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 06-22-2012, 09:18 PM   #401
Gullywick
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 323810

I was just at the dealer looking at one and they said they have no such thing as a bzr Sti in mind !!! So I went with the 2012 wrx !!
Gullywick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2012, 12:57 PM   #402
Zach9734
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 186196
Vehicle:
05 WRX
OBP

I want a BRZ AND a WRX. From now on I will only buy Subaru MT cars named after three letters.
Zach9734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:33 PM   #403
off road subbie
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 320031
Vehicle:
2014 impreza 5 door
Pearl white

Impreza WRX STi

boys calm yourselves. subaru will surely have a sti version. theyre probablly just seeing how the sales are at. what peoples reactions are. this way they can improve it. so sense in rushing it out half cocked. plus this is theyre new "sports" car and honestly the sti name is a cash cow for tuners. itll be worth waiting for and itll be amazing. i mean look at the gt300 version. STUNNING.
off road subbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:36 PM   #404
off road subbie
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 320031
Vehicle:
2014 impreza 5 door
Pearl white

either way its nice. beautiful even, though i would still want a wrx sti over it.
off road subbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:17 PM   #405
jsquared
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 212052
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2005 STi
OBP

Looking a few pages back to the Max Orido V8-powered GT-86, the Lexus IS-F V8 looks farther back in the engine bay than the friggin' Flat-4! That's exactly what I've been whining about! Shove that flat-four back, add the fact that it's about 40% shorter, THAT is what they should have done to begin with. Maybe push the front axle forward a couple inches if needed. Like I've mentioned before, my old S2000 had an engine twice as long and still managed to fit the whole thing behind the front axle centerline, my 240SX has an engine twice as long and only a cylinder and a third or so are in front of the front axle centerline. I don't give a hoot about lack of turbo or any of that, if there is no power going to the front wheels then there is no excuse for not having even weight distribution! And I'm even more aggravated since it appears most magazine tests have been seeing closer to 55/45 than 53/47... dadburnit!

I still want to drive one, though
jsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:22 PM   #406
Zach9734
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
05 WRX
OBP

Where is your deposit? Anyway, about the weight... The BRZ is lighter than a RX-8 by 100lbs-200lbs depending on the trim level, apples to apples (according to wikipedia). The weight savings is 3-6%. That accounts for your front heavy statement.

To put that another way... It's like taking a RX-8 and dropping a couple hundred lbs in the rear. And what are you complaining about again?

I don't have safety information on the RX-8, but I can almost guarantee the BRZ will be a IIHS Top Safety Pick when it's tested. Even with the Racing Style seat, it has Active Head Restraints. Sweet...

Last edited by Zach9734; 07-02-2012 at 06:57 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:34 PM   #407
jsquared
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 STi
OBP

My S2000 was similar if not equal weight, and with an engine twice as long it still fit behind the axle :P My 240SX started out at marginally less weight, and is now 200+ lbs lighter than the BRZ/FR-S/GT-86 and also with a longer engine (and turbo with plumbing) has better weight distribution (I did put the battery in the trunk on that car).

Again, I'm going by some of the magazine tests which have placed the car at 55/45 no driver. Way too much for a clean-sheet design. I guess I set my expectations too high when I heard "rear-drive with a Flat-4." I have no doubt it will still be a fun car, though, as the 350Z at 53/47, my 240SX at 52/48, and a number of other cars with a little more nose weight than I prefer are still a blast to drive.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:03 AM   #408
stevehimself
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 286081

Wish it was AWD and Turbo
stevehimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:40 PM   #409
buckwilly
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 252012
Vehicle:
2010 STi
Silver

Read an article in road and track today about the FRS and BRZ coming with michelin economy tires. It lost to a stock Wrx at the track. Once they upgraded the tires to dunlop direzzas it smoked the Wrx. I think a miata was the other car.

But umm yeah, fantastic handling car that comes from factory with same tires as a Toyota prius. not a good way to make a first impression. These two companies put all this capital into designing a car like this and do something like that with tires...Fail.
buckwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:00 PM   #410
jsquared
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 STi
OBP

I just got that issue in the mail today, haven't read it yet due to time constraints...

...but basically the idea behind using those tires was to give a low limit to the car initially, both so new drivers would have a better learning curve and because of that old adage: "driving a slow car fast is more fun than driving a fast car slow."
Old 08-04-2012, 07:09 PM   #411
dwx
Scooby Guru

Member#: 8343
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2005 2012 Jeep
2013 DGM BRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckwilly View Post
Read an article in road and track today about the FRS and BRZ coming with michelin economy tires. It lost to a stock Wrx at the track. Once they upgraded the tires to dunlop direzzas it smoked the Wrx. I think a miata was the other car.

But umm yeah, fantastic handling car that comes from factory with same tires as a Toyota prius. not a good way to make a first impression. These two companies put all this capital into designing a car like this and do something like that with tires...Fail.
There is no point in putting some extreme performance tires on the car stock. Half the people buying the car end up changing the wheels and tires anyways. They aren't the same tires as what's on the Prius, they are available on the JDM Prius in some kind of performance package. They aren't terrible on the street, and I have different wheels and tires to race on so it's a moot point anyways...

And to the point of their progressive breakaway, it's true. They are good tires for learning the limits of the car.
dwx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:17 PM   #412
buckwilly
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 252012
Vehicle:
2010 STi
Silver

I know what tires they are, I've seen them as standard oem equipment on several cars. It's just surprising to see them on this car.

The are touring tires at the most.

I still love the BRZ so offense intended. And I agree, wider wheels would be in order if I owned one.

I still need to drive one...
buckwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:26 PM   #413
Zach9734
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
05 WRX
OBP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwx View Post
There is no point in putting some extreme performance tires on the car stock. Half the people buying the car end up changing the wheels and tires anyways. They aren't the same tires as what's on the Prius, they are available on the JDM Prius in some kind of performance package. They aren't terrible on the street, and I have different wheels and tires to race on so it's a moot point anyways...

And to the point of their progressive breakaway, it's true. They are good tires for learning the limits of the car.
Exactly. It's just like my previous 05 WRX. When I saved up the money, I bought 17" wheels and stickier tires. At stg1 on that 2.0 there was too much grip. It seemed to bog things down in a lot of street cornering. When I did push them at higher revs, they were far less predictable.

After I put them on, I thought of the OEM tires right away. Everyone knocked them, but they weren't too much for the 2.0, and they broke away predictably...
Old 08-09-2012, 01:26 PM   #414
Zach9734
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
05 WRX
OBP

I could slide through turns as a novice and control it well the whole way. Subaru knows what they're doing.