Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday July 20, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.0L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 11-17-2018, 09:42 AM   #26
PVNRT
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 483821
Vehicle:
2004 WRX 2.0 18g

Are you the original owner? I wonder if someone before you de-capped the injectors.

Also you should install a new Walbro fuel pump if the pump is still original, you can find them around $100 and you should have one anyway with those mods.

If it was me I would install new injectors (and new seals), and new fuel pump. If that doesn't help I would flash an OEM base map and go back to OEM airbox and OEM BCS just to set a baseline. All of these things help the car run better and safer even if they don't solve the issue right away they will help support future mods.

If you leave the downpipe on you might overboost a bit with a stock map, you can disconnect wastegate arm just for testing purposes to get it to rev and keep boost down.

You are using OEM bypass valve yes yes?
PVNRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2018, 09:57 AM   #27
PVNRT
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 WRX 2.0 18g

Now is a good time to install larger injectors if you plan on modding more in the future, but then you need a new tune.

I know its hard to think about upgrading anything when it doesn't even run right as is, but do it now and do it once.

You have to remember the fuel and ignition systems are at least 13 years old now, better to replace as much as you can afford to for piece of mind.

Please don't buy injectors, spark plugs or coils on ebay or Amazon, you are gonna have a bad time unless it is a legit Subaru dealership selling on ebay. I have recieved counterfeit NGK plugs from 2 different ebay sellers.....I paid a few dollars more and Summit came through with the real deal.
Old 11-19-2018, 02:01 PM   #28
SeanRS203
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 378600
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
05 Subaru WRX
Silver

As far as coils go, I bought a brand new one from Subaru and put it in cylinder 4(where the misfire code comes up first after an ECU reflash) and it came up in 4 just like always. So I donít think itís coils.
For the exhaust, I donít believe I have a leak but itís worth a check. Iíll tell the mechanic I use to check it when he gets it on the lift.
I am the 2nd owner, bought it completely stock. The injectors I bought were from a part out on here that were known working injectors so weíll see.
Great suggestion in the fuel pump Iíll look into it.
Thought about going back to stock everything but not sure yet. We went to stock map and just putted around the corner a bit but even the idle was still bad.
Yea Iím very picky about where I get parts haha usually always Subaru or Subaru branded parts. Donít trust anything else.
Thanks for all the input Iíll keep you posted
SeanRS203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 02:03 PM   #29
SeanRS203
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
05 Subaru WRX
Silver

Oh one more thing,
I wonít be upgrading it anymore as far as power goes. Nearest shop that will tune subaru or AWD in general is 4-5 hours away. Just too hard to get it done right.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:57 PM   #30
freshazphuk
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 494082
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2003 wrx
WRB

knowing you have good coils or even the one coil causing the main problem on #4 have you checked power going to the coils? checked and cleaned the main grounds? more particularly the ones on the manifold.......also a dumb little thing to check would be the battery cables i was having all sorts of hesitation issues and rough idle problems seemed to disappear when i changed back to oem terminals lol
freshazphuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 10:37 PM   #31
SeanRS203
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
05 Subaru WRX
Silver

Yea Iíll check the grounding points and the power to the coils thanks
Anyone got a link of all the grounding points? Ha
Old 02-15-2019, 11:34 PM   #32
Brandon_C78
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 497348

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanRS203 View Post
Yea Iíll check the grounding points and the power to the coils thanks
Anyone got a link of all the grounding points? Ha

Hey man just wondering if you ever figured it out? My 05 wrx is misfiring idling very low and when the gas is pressed it falls on its face and barely revs thanks in advance man
Brandon_C78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 12:37 AM   #33
Krazie99
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 497845

Maybe try different gas? Some places I went made my car misfire a lot. Also maybe a real tube might help rather then OTS map
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanRS203 View Post
Alright, yes there are a lot of threads like this and yes I've searched and read but none seem to have the problem I'm having. A shop is working on it with me and I'm just trying to get more input so we can figure it out.

Car: 2005 WRX
3 in high flow cat down pipe
3 in car back
Cobb EBCS
Cobb accessport
Cobb intake
Stage 2 tune
Act lightweight flywheel

All of this had been on the car for for about 5 months before any issues started. The flywheel has been on the car for about a year and a half. It's had the stage 2+ EBCS tune and EBCS for about a month before the issues started.

When I started my car one day I noticed it idled rough but I figured it was just an odd day and it would smooth out. But a little later the CEL came on as a cylinder 4 misfire then a bit later a cylinder 3 misfire. I got back home and cleaned the MAF sensor. Went to start it later in the day and it idled super bad and almost died. It was backfiring real bad so I just shut it off and left it. The next morning it started ok but still idled rough. The throttle also has a weird hesitation. The only way I can explain it is when I press the throttle is it kinda blips before the revs climb, that's in neutral. When it's heavier throttle and higher RPM it's perfect no problem. Between 2 and 3k rpm it bucks some if I cruise there. I did a little bit of checking with the tools I had (spark plugs, MAF etc.) then to the shop I went. Here's what they checked:
Spark plugs
Coils
Compression
Smoke test for vacuum leaks
Fuel pressure
Injectors
Cam sensor
Crank sensor
O2 sensor

Aaand nothing helped. They swapped parts from cylinders 3 and 4 to 1 and 2 to see if the misfire moved and nothing. Swapped MAF and O2 with known working ones. Nothing. Brand new cam and crank sensors. Compression was below spec but not too low, around 130s. But the compression was even across all cylinders.
After swapping the O2 sensor codes for all four cylinders misfiring came up. I cleared them and drove some more and only cylinders 3 and 4 came up. Took it to the shop for the cam and crank sensors. Drove it more and codes for all four cylinders misfiring came back.

Anyone have any insight? Anything would be appreciated because I'm running out of options
Thanks
Krazie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 03:35 PM   #34
SeanRS203
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
05 Subaru WRX
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon_C78 View Post
Hey man just wondering if you ever figured it out? My 05 wrx is misfiring idling very low and when the gas is pressed it falls on its face and barely revs thanks in advance man

Nope sure havenít. Just dealing with it lol. Best I can do right now.
Old 03-12-2019, 03:37 PM   #35
SeanRS203
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
05 Subaru WRX
Silver

Also..
Krazie99 yea I thought maybe gas so Iíve tried gas from numerous stations and nothing. Yea I started thinking that. Only problem is any real tuner for AWD or Subi is 4-6 hours away
Old 03-14-2019, 08:49 PM   #36
dterron1477
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 499079

I have similar issue and I disconnected the maf and it ran fine. Why is that
dterron1477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 04:03 PM   #37
PVNRT
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 WRX 2.0 18g

I know you said spark plugs were "checked", have you actually changed them out yet for some new ones, and checked proper gapping? I only ask because for some reason it is super easy to crack the insulators on these, hairline cracks the naked eye can barely see, never had this problem on other cars. Cracked insulators can arc to the wrong place.

I still think you should go back to OEM airbox and re tune but it's your car. I just feel like people dont understand how aftermarket intakes significantly disturb the MAF reading. Your problem definitely sounds ignition related to me though.

Bite the bullet and spend more money than the car might be worth (new OEM coils and plugs) or cut your losses and dump it on craigslist.

Maybe find an OEM service manual online and check ALL grounds....including battery!

One last reason to lose sleep....ECUs can also go bad!
Ask any first gen DSM owner about dry capacitors.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:48 PM   #38
SeanRS203
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
05 Subaru WRX
Silver

PVNRT, thanks for the input!
Yes I have actually replaced the plugs and got no change. Iíll ask my mechanic but Iím pretty sure they were gapped correctly.

As for the aftermarket tune and air box, it had that on for at least a year and ran just fine. I did buy one new coil to see if it would fix one cylinder but nothing.
I wish I could check all the grounds!
And yes I swapped the ECU and nothing...thanks for the input. My mechanic checked my ignition system but maybe itís time for another check