Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Car Care & Detailing

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 05-22-2017, 02:28 PM   #1
equinox_ps
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 422319
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
WRB

Default Wet sanded past clear coat, what options now?

Like the title indicates, I wet sanded a good amount of clear coat off when trying to repair a rock chip yesterday. It's a good amount of area, roughly the size of a dime or so.

I put some new clear over it but it is still extremely noticeable. I'm afraid that I'll have to get the door panel repainted and am prepared to do so.

Are there any other options?
equinox_ps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2017, 03:14 PM   #2
That_Boosted_Life
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 422693
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2016 WRX Premium
Lapis Blue Pearl

Should have compounded and polished before putting the clear on as you likely scratched the base coat with the wet sanding. Will have to polish and compound over cleared spot as well to level everything out and make it smooth and reflect light like the rest of the panel. Will probably still notice the spot even after polishing it up.
That_Boosted_Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 04:17 PM   #3
equinox_ps
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2015 WRX
WRB

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_Boosted_Life View Post
Should have compounded and polished before putting the clear on as you likely scratched the base coat with the wet sanding. Will have to polish and compound over cleared spot as well to level everything out and make it smooth and reflect light like the rest of the panel. Will probably still notice the spot even after polishing it up.
Yeah, hindsight is 20/20. Do you think it's worth me trying to sand the new clear down so that I can compound and polish the scratched base coat?
Old 05-22-2017, 04:21 PM   #4
Twisty mountain road
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 402977
Chapter/Region: SCIC

if you indeed did sand through the clear (possible) then the only solution is to re-paint and then re-clear. My question (which will sound aggressive) is:

1. why were you sanding if you did not know what you were doing? It is easier to use a rotary polisher then it is to sand clear coat effectively!!!
2. why did you not use paint for the rock chip?
3. do you have a paint measuring device?
4. what steps have you tried up to this point?

If you have tried compound/polish and the paint remains hazy, then yes you sanded too deep. If the color came back but there are still scratches, then you need a more aggressive compound
Twisty mountain road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 05:31 PM   #5
equinox_ps
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2015 WRX
WRB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisty mountain road View Post
if you indeed did sand through the clear (possible) then the only solution is to re-paint and then re-clear. My question (which will sound aggressive) is:

1. why were you sanding if you did not know what you were doing? It is easier to use a rotary polisher then it is to sand clear coat effectively!!!
2. why did you not use paint for the rock chip?
3. do you have a paint measuring device?
4. what steps have you tried up to this point?

If you have tried compound/polish and the paint remains hazy, then yes you sanded too deep. If the color came back but there are still scratches, then you need a more aggressive compound
1) I have fixed a number of other comparable sized rock chips on this car successfully before. I thought I had repeated the same procedure but ended up going too deep. It was my thinking that the door was going to have to be repainted eventually either way (I fixed other rock chips but wrb touch up paint never matches well), so why not go for it.

2) Do you mean color coat? If so, I did. I filled the chip with color, leveled it and then applied clear, at which point I noticed that it was still looking foggy.

3) I don't have any measuring tools and have learned an expensive lesson from eyeballing it.

4) I haven't done anything since applying the final coat of clear last night. I was planning to level it down with compound and polish tonight. Sounds like I'm going to have to live with it until I get the door repainted.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:17 PM   #6
Twisty mountain road
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 402977
Chapter/Region: SCIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox_ps View Post
2) Do you mean color coat? If so, I did. I filled the chip with color, leveled it and then applied clear, at which point I noticed that it was still looking foggy.
Lets start from the beginning. What grit sandpaper did you use (1500, 2000, 5000)? Did you use a block sander, unigrit, pneumatic, hand pressure without a backing as a means to perform the sanding? Was the sanding performed in dry or wet? Was it a flat surface or a leading edge? When sanding, did you get an even haze where light did not reflect or haziness with "spotting" (looks like circles of grey surrounded by color like you did not sand down enough)?

Depending on how much touch up paint you used and how thick it was when applied (think blob of paint vs evenly sprayed spray can paint), it could result in a foggy look. Maybe try another layer of paint and/or try going over the area with compound and polish to see if it brings back some color.
Twisty mountain road is offline   Reply With Quote