Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday February 18, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.0L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 06-19-2018, 11:21 PM   #1
menard32
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 483378
Default 2002 WRX Studder Under Load

Firstly, I've read every thread on the main WRX sites about this issue and performed every fix I've found to no avail. Please, I need your guys' help. I have a 2002 WRX bone stock except for an aftermarket 3" downpipe with a possible exhaust leak (prev. owner put it on). The fixes I have found and tried are new spark plugs, new coil packs, cleaning MAF sensor, new fuel filter, using premium gas, new o2 sensor, and resetting the ECU after all of it. The power cut/studder happens almost exactly on 4,000 rpm. Another fact of note is that I believe I do have a small boost leak and my CEL is on, but it has always been on since I purchased the car. The only things I have found for possible results are: an old clogged fuel pump sock or a tune may be needed with the aftermarket 3" downpipe. However, the issue just started occurring less than a month ago, so I don't believe the downpipe is the issue unless it just sprung its leak and that shifted the car off tune? Please, I really need you guys' help on this. I'm drawing blanks.
menard32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2018, 11:06 AM   #2
PVNRT
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 483821
Vehicle:
2004 WRX 2.0 18g

You really should pick up a tactrix and find out what the code is, then use it to make a log while driving. See what your long term fuel trims are. These cars have a huge potential for vacuum leaks especially at that age. I found 5 vacuum leaks on my used 04 and the guy was daily driving it this way.

Your ltft will help show if there is a vacuum leak as the ecu will always be trying to correct the mixture. I bet your turbo inlet is ripped, the oem ypipe will start to crack also at this age.

Its a good idea to chase all your underhood grounds too, the bolt end can loosen up and let in corrrosion.
PVNRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 12:43 PM   #3
Samurai Jack
Scooby Guru

Member#: 21145
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2002 Enemy of Aku

Like PVNRT said:
- check for vacuum leaks on all your vacuum hoses
- check your OEM turbo inlet
- you make have cracks / bad gaskets between your UP / DP / connections to turbo

The OEM turbo inlet gets cracked and/or degraded at the turbo where it actually melts. It will need to be replaced.
- If this is true, you will have to pull the intake manifold to do the swap. May as well get a silicon turbo inlet AND check all your fuel lines at the same time.

As far as a tune, you do not need a tune for any of the mentioned items above since the 2002 ECU is more forgiving. If you get a tune, then you can optimize the changes and the motor tune so it would be a good thing.
Samurai Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 02:55 PM   #4
s.ouzou
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 495114
Vehicle:
2002 Subaru WRX
Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by menard32 View Post
Firstly, I've read every thread on the main WRX sites about this issue and performed every fix I've found to no avail. Please, I need your guys' help. I have a 2002 WRX bone stock except for an aftermarket 3" downpipe with a possible exhaust leak (prev. owner put it on). The fixes I have found and tried are new spark plugs, new coil packs, cleaning MAF sensor, new fuel filter, using premium gas, new o2 sensor, and resetting the ECU after all of it. The power cut/studder happens almost exactly on 4,000 rpm. Another fact of note is that I believe I do have a small boost leak and my CEL is on, but it has always been on since I purchased the car. The only things I have found for possible results are: an old clogged fuel pump sock or a tune may be needed with the aftermarket 3" downpipe. However, the issue just started occurring less than a month ago, so I don't believe the downpipe is the issue unless it just sprung its leak and that shifted the car off tune? Please, I really need you guys' help on this. I'm drawing blanks.
Make sure you gap the spark plugs to 0.025. I had the exact same problem and the gap solved the problem. Also, check the connections to your coil packs and make sure your coil packs are all working correctly.
s.ouzou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 11:06 PM   #5
AnonymousWrex
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 458426
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
2003 Impreza WRX
Black

my 03 wagon just needed new grounds... but if you have a CEL make that go away first, then deal with your 4k rpm stutter, odds are theyre related
AnonymousWrex is offline   Reply With Quote