Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday February 17, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > FA Series Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2019, 06:05 PM   #76
anarekist
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 468117
Join Date: May 2017
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Southern Cali
Vehicle:
2017 WRX
DMG

Default

been hearing alot about these codes, what oil are you guys all running?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
anarekist is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 01-18-2019, 01:42 AM   #77
E_WRX
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 482486
Join Date: Feb 2018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarekist View Post
been hearing alot about these codes, what oil are you guys all running?
At first I was running 5w-30 Castrol. After the code came I changed mine to Subaru 5w-30 with oem filter. Code is still there cant seem to get it to go away no matter what I do. Seems like going back to stock and warranty claiming it is the only way.
E_WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 01:51 AM   #78
E_WRX
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 482486
Join Date: Feb 2018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobultimatum View Post
I don't think you realize how expensive that ordeal would be fore SoA...
I do know how expensive the ordeal would be but it's not fair to the customers. Seems like this issue is happening to stock wrxs too. Subaru dealerships denying service on modified wrxs with this same issue is just bs if its happening to bone stock cars too. I was always under the impression that a dealership would have to prove the modifications caused the issue....
E_WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 11:07 AM   #79
noobultimatum
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 431550
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: South Florida
Vehicle:
2016 WRX
ALL THE STAGES

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_WRX View Post
I do know how expensive the ordeal would be but it's not fair to the customers. Seems like this issue is happening to stock wrxs too. Subaru dealerships denying service on modified wrxs with this same issue is just bs if its happening to bone stock cars too. I was always under the impression that a dealership would have to prove the modifications caused the issue....
Yes, you are correct.

But how frequent are these codes popping up? Keep in mind that here on the forums is where we are hearing about this CEL issue.

Is it more prevalent in modded cars or stock cars? or does it even matter?

If it IS a factory defect, then SoA would (in theory) issue a recall for the problem. Only reason they would issue a recall is if the cost of law suits/damage in the future -- due to the "defect" -- would be more expensive than dealing with it preemptively (recall).

To be clear, I 100% agree with you. If it is their fault, they should fix it on their dime since we paid for their product... unfortunately, this world is not a perfect one, so we are left to all kind of factors that play into a decision being made.
noobultimatum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 11:52 AM   #80
Zrx_01
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 481702
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Texas OR Cali
Vehicle:
15 WRX
SMURF

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarekist View Post
been hearing alot about these codes, what oil are you guys all running?
5w30 MOTUL 8100. Before that I was on OEM.
Zrx_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 11:55 AM   #81
Zrx_01
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 481702
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Texas OR Cali
Vehicle:
15 WRX
SMURF

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobultimatum View Post
Yes, you are correct.

But how frequent are these codes popping up? Keep in mind that here on the forums is where we are hearing about this CEL issue.

Is it more prevalent in modded cars or stock cars? or does it even matter?

If it IS a factory defect, then SoA would (in theory) issue a recall for the problem. Only reason they would issue a recall is if the cost of law suits/damage in the future -- due to the "defect" -- would be more expensive than dealing with it preemptively (recall).

To be clear, I 100% agree with you. If it is their fault, they should fix it on their dime since we paid for their product... unfortunately, this world is not a perfect one, so we are left to all kind of factors that play into a decision being made.
^^^^TRUTH

Just be optimistic about your warranty claim.. No reason to stress over something that is out of your control. Hopefully your dealer is mod friendly
Zrx_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 06:26 PM   #82
E_WRX
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 482486
Join Date: Feb 2018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zrx_01 View Post
^^^^TRUTH

Just be optimistic about your warranty claim.. No reason to stress over something that is out of your control. Hopefully your dealer is mod friendly
So have they resolved the issue for you?
E_WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 06:26 PM   #83
Zrx_01
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 481702
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Texas OR Cali
Vehicle:
15 WRX
SMURF

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_WRX View Post
So have they resolved the issue for you?
Nah breh,

Still taking the car apart, And waiting for gaskets and boost lines with restrictor pill from Subaru....
Zrx_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 11:46 AM   #84
Zrx_01
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 481702
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Texas OR Cali
Vehicle:
15 WRX
SMURF

Default

Update:

Techs ran diag on car... Stated that ECM needs to be replaced, everything else looks fine on car. Don't know if they checked cams or sprockets but sounds like it's pointing to ECM.

SOA refused to cover the vehicle due to ECM modification etc.. Looking for ECM or just paying quote 900+ for parts and labor..

Zrx_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 01:26 PM   #85
slimFA20
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 433589
Join Date: Nov 2015
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: So. California
Vehicle:
2016 WRX Premium
WR Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarekist View Post
been hearing alot about these codes, what oil are you guys all running?
Was told by my tuner (BrenTuning) to only run Motul x-clean EFE 5W-30 on these FA20 DIT motors.
slimFA20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 12:12 PM   #86
Zrx_01
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 481702
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Texas OR Cali
Vehicle:
15 WRX
SMURF

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimFA20 View Post
Was told by my tuner (BrenTuning) to only run Motul x-clean EFE 5W-30 on these FA20 DIT motors.
Sounds about right...or just stick to OEM. Hopefully this code stays away with new ECM..
Zrx_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 09:34 PM   #87
E_WRX
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 482486
Join Date: Feb 2018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zrx_01 View Post
Sounds about right...or just stick to OEM. Hopefully this code stays away with new ECM..
So can the techs tell if the ecm has been ever manipulated or tuned?
E_WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 11:01 PM   #88
Zrx_01
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 481702
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Texas OR Cali
Vehicle:
15 WRX
SMURF

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_WRX View Post
So can the techs tell if the ecm has been ever manipulated or tuned?
Not sure bud, but the dealer already knew I had modifications on the vehicle.
Techs notated that information.. Someone correct me if I'm wrong... The dealer can see your key cycles. As far as tune not sure.

I'm just hoping the code doesn't come back with the new ECM.
Zrx_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:23 PM   #89
bcterp
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 409569
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Maryland
Vehicle:
2018 WRX
Silver

Default

Just got my 2018 WRX back from the dealer for P0018. Replaced oil control valve and had to ultimately replace ECU to keep the code from reappearing. The service advisor referred to it as “code burn in”. Weird that a 2018 ECU can’t properly clear a code after the issue is resolved.
bcterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 01:53 AM   #90
shmYng
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 470818
Join Date: Jul 2017
Default Totally stock, same issue

3900 miles ago I had the clutch master and slave cylinders replaced under warranty, now I wait for weeks while they diagnose this code. Turned my car off for work, realized I left something at home so I turned it back on, and the check engine light was there. They haven't mentioned ECU yet, but I've been grilling my service rep to try and get a better answer for why this thing has been having so many problems completely stock. I don't drive hard. I've used Subaru official or better oil every 3500-4000 miles. I check out every sound and clean the car/undercarriage regularly. I am currently talking with a Lemon Law attorney to see if I have a claim, will get back to you guys once I have more info.
shmYng is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2019 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2017, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.