Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday October 21, 2021
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > General Community

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 09-11-2021, 06:45 AM   #1
apoops
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 490609
Default '20 STi - First Service Cost

This is my first STi. Got it back in March of this year...

Got rear-ended after 30 days of ownership. Body shop did an amazing job of repairing. Didn't have the car for ~30 days while it got fixed. Cut my commute in half due to new job. As a result, car only has ~3k miles in 6 mos of ownership.

Taking it in for first maintenance/service next week. Dealership Service Dept is quoting $110 for oil/filter change, tire rotation, top off fluids, and inspection...

Is that cost typical? How much are folks paying or have paid for the first 6k recommended service interval?

Thanks in advance!
apoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2021, 08:16 AM   #2
Jack
Add Lightness

Member#: 13699
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2021 Building
It Better

That's not bad. My son has a 20 STi bought from Planet Subaru (NASIOC vendor) and they have a program where if you do all your service with them, they warranty the engine and transmission to 150k miles. I've gone with him when he gets service done. He puts on lots of miles and will hit 18k miles in a few weeks (car was picked up this January). Their service is the oil/filter but also tire re-balance, then rotate. Not sure what else. It's cost about $169 to $180. They do hand wash and vacuum the car.

I'm in opposite world. Bought my Crosstrek new from the same dealer and I do all the service myself. So oil/filter cost whatever the oil and filter cost. I have a rack of filters as we have 4 cars in the family that take the same Subaru filters. I know Subaru does service now at 6k miles (as opposed to 3750 that was required for many years). I do all of my own cars at 5k miles.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 09:51 AM   #3
lefty o
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 512654
Vehicle:
2019 wrx
red

at 3000 miles, you can use an oil change, you dont need the other crap that is just putting your money in the dealerships pocket.
lefty o is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 01:38 PM   #4
Euzhesh
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 526505

$110 isn't bad at a dealership. I pay around the same price just for oil/oil filter change at my dealership and that's without the tire rotation. I usually do tire rotation every other oil change I go for. It is a bit pricey and you can reduce a lot of the cost by doing the services yourself but my main reason for doing it at the dealership is so that all the records are saved whenever you look up my car's history. I will eventually start doing it myself either mid way or whenever my car's warranty is finished.
Euzhesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 12:04 PM   #5
super_subie
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 344431
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2020 STI
CWP

i've always thought it was weird that when i had the 13 wrx i was getting charged about $90 for oil change...now that i have the 20 sti they are charging me 100-130...aren't oil capacity the same in both motors? why the up charge?
super_subie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 01:08 PM   #6
Blindeye_03
Scooby Guru

Member#: 4418
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2020 WRX
MGM

I pay $50 for tire rotation and an oil change with oil filter at my dealer and I take my own oil. That really sounds high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by super_subie View Post
i've always thought it was weird that when i had the 13 wrx i was getting charged about $90 for oil change...now that i have the 20 sti they are charging me 100-130...aren't oil capacity the same in both motors? why the up charge?
I dont have my owners manual infront of me but I recall seeing that the STI takes LESS oil than the WRX. I also wouldnt recommend using subaru motor oil.
Blindeye_03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 01:24 PM   #7
rtv900
Scooby Guru

Member#: 428511
Vehicle:
2016 STI

I mean it's like everything, if you don't want to do it yourself that's what it costs to pay somebody to do that work.

If you have a place to do it you'll spend $30 or so and 20 minutes.
rtv900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 02:28 PM   #8
Big-E
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 123843
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2016 STI LTD CWP
Let LED's light your way!

I would say that $110 for oil, oil filter, tire-rotation, fluid top-off and a general inspection is more than fair.

General economics for comparison.

Our local Subaru dealership charges $165/hr.

Buy 5-quarts (+/-) of synthetic oil and an filter and how much does that cost?

Drive car in and set-up on a lift to remove and install a filter and to drain and fill the oil. How much labor-time would be associated with this?

Car is on lift, now remove wheels, inspect, reinstall wheels, top-off fluids, and a general inspection. How much labor time would be associated with this?

Remove car from lift to return to customer. How much labor-time would be associated with this?

How much is your time worth? Do you have the means to perform the work and dispose of the waste-oil and used-filter?

Not busting anyone's chops.
Big-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 03:34 PM   #9
super_subie
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2020 STI
CWP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindeye_03 View Post
I pay $50 for tire rotation and an oil change with oil filter at my dealer and I take my own oil. That really sounds high.

I dont have my owners manual infront of me but I recall seeing that the STI takes LESS oil than the WRX. I also wouldnt recommend using subaru motor oil.
i've been taking my car in since 2013 and have over 100k miles logged total all on subaru oil...my cars have had 0 issues and runs fine...my first car didn't burn any oil...my current STI doesn't burn any oil yet (only 16k currently)
Old 09-16-2021, 07:36 AM   #10
rtv900
Scooby Guru

Member#: 428511
Vehicle:
2016 STI

Quote:
i've been taking my car in since 2013 and have over 100k miles logged total all on subaru oil...my cars have had 0 issues and runs fine...my first car didn't burn any oil...my current STI doesn't burn any oil yet (only 16k currently)
at 137k mine still didn't even burn any meaningful amount over a 5k interval

maybe 1/4 quart or so
rtv900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 10:36 AM   #11
super_subie
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2020 STI
CWP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtv900 View Post
at 137k mine still didn't even burn any meaningful amount over a 5k interval

maybe 1/4 quart or so
you and i are in the rare circle
Old 09-18-2021, 12:09 AM   #12
Blindeye_03
Scooby Guru

Member#: 4418
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2020 WRX
MGM

Quote:
Grats. Im looking at oil analysis' that show that there are much better oils than what Subaru uses. Carry on I guess.
Blindeye_03 is offline   Reply With Quote