Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday November 25, 2020
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Member's Car Gallery

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 10-27-2020, 09:16 AM   #76
Karlot
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 339923
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza WRX STi
grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellenberg View Post
Unfortunately I still haven't had a chance to run the car. It's been a very slow crawl, especially this year. I've been furloughed since March and haven't really been putting much into it. The shop that it's at now put the car on hold to work on their puke
Pike's Peak hill climb car but should be finishing up the Intercooler piping and subframes soon.

oh dang. well i hope they finish it up soon. i'm anxious to see how the 3076 reacts, especially cause you dont see many twinscroll setups. your car is basically the same thing i'm going for in mine. well yours looks better lol. but trackcross and time attack is where i'd like to be.
Karlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2020, 12:24 PM   #77
WhiteZombie
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 338863
Vehicle:
PSM 05 WRX WGN 5MT
95 Caprice 6spd Track Rat

Very cool! Very patient! Beautiful work so far.

Plywood splitters FTW! They're gonna get smashed and scraped without a doubt. Ask me how I know.

I plan to shave some weight off mine this winter by doing a hybrid alumalite setup - plywood for the sacrifical exposed leading edge, and alumalite back half for weight reduction. I've read that alumalite also doesn't have a very aero efficient leading edge with it's squared off design. A little belt sanding to a rounded edge on the plywood is easy and quite quick.

Good luck with finishing up the build! I'm excited to see the track action when it's done!
WhiteZombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 03:00 PM   #78
NighthawkSTI
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 495630

Quote:
Unfortunately I still haven't had a chance to run the car. It's been a very slow crawl, especially this year. I've been furloughed since March and haven't really been putting much into it. The shop that it's at now put the car on hold to work on their puke
Pike's Peak hill climb car but should be finishing up the Intercooler piping and subframes soon. Thank you! I'm really excited to get this car running and also seeing that intake manifold and the rest of the new bits with their powder coating. Gonna have the manifold purple again and rotated back to standard orientation to make things easier.Yeah just going off what the others said that you don't want to have opposing forces with the air coming into the engine bay basically. With that center vent also, heat would come out and go right back through the scoop.

Ahhh....that makes sense. Hood looks great regardless!
NighthawkSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 07:55 PM   #79
ktulu990
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 161031

Love the build. Congrats.
ktulu990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 01:41 AM   #80
jellenberg
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 336991
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2006 WRX STI
Steel Gray Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteZombie View Post
Very cool! Very patient! Beautiful work so far.

Plywood splitters FTW! They're gonna get smashed and scraped without a doubt. Ask me how I know.

I plan to shave some weight off mine this winter by doing a hybrid alumalite setup - plywood for the sacrifical exposed leading edge, and alumalite back half for weight reduction. I've read that alumalite also doesn't have a very aero efficient leading edge with it's squared off design. A little belt sanding to a rounded edge on the plywood is easy and quite quick.

Good luck with finishing up the build! I'm excited to see the track action when it's done!
Gotta love how easy plywood is to work with. How did you paint yours btw? I used quite a bit of primer on mine but you could always see the wood grain which always bugged me. Might need to try something different. I thought about a vinyl wrap of like carbon fiber or something but that just feels too ricy to me lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktulu990 View Post
Love the build. Congrats.
Thank you!
jellenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 10:51 AM   #81
WhiteZombie
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 338863
Vehicle:
PSM 05 WRX WGN 5MT
95 Caprice 6spd Track Rat

Quote:
Gotta love how easy plywood is to work with. How did you paint yours btw? I used quite a bit of primer on mine but you could always see the wood grain which always bugged me. Might need to try something different. I thought about a vinyl wrap of like carbon fiber or something but that just feels too ricy to me lolThank you!
I used a small can of exterior door paint, rolled on with a roller. No primer for me. It was super easy, quick and 99% of people have not realized it was plywood in person from more than a foot away. Probably didn't hurt that I started with a really nice piece of donated ply, and that only a few inches poke out past all the air dam stuff. If you look close it's obvious, but my car isn't exactly a show winner anyway.

I'd skip a wrap, it'd get destroyed so quick! Maybe just start with a nice piece of play and do some sanding prior to paint? I'm no woodworker, but I'm fairly certain this donated sheet was sanded prior to my buddy donating it to my cause.

What did you use to paint yours? I tried spray painting the scraped up sections and it just soaked in like crazy. I ended up brushing on more of the door paint for good coverage. It certainly didn't look as uniform with the brush, but doesn't matter since it's under the car. Just wanted to keep moisture out and prevent warpage if I get caught driving or tracking in the rain.

Last edited by WhiteZombie; 11-10-2020 at 10:56 AM.
WhiteZombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 03:15 PM   #82
jellenberg
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 336991
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2006 WRX STI
Steel Gray Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteZombie View Post
I used a small can of exterior door paint, rolled on with a roller. No primer for me. It was super easy, quick and 99% of people have not realized it was plywood in person from more than a foot away. Probably didn't hurt that I started with a really nice piece of donated ply, and that only a few inches poke out past all the air dam stuff. If you look close it's obvious, but my car isn't exactly a show winner anyway.

I'd skip a wrap, it'd get destroyed so quick! Maybe just start with a nice piece of play and do some sanding prior to paint? I'm no woodworker, but I'm fairly certain this donated sheet was sanded prior to my buddy donating it to my cause.

What did you use to paint yours? I tried spray painting the scraped up sections and it just soaked in like crazy. I ended up brushing on more of the door paint for good coverage. It certainly didn't look as uniform with the brush, but doesn't matter since it's under the car. Just wanted to keep moisture out and prevent warpage if I get caught driving or tracking in the rain.

Oh that looks pretty good! I can't remember which spray paint I used but yeah it soaked in like crazy, even with plenty of sanding beforehand. I'll mess with it some more when I get the car back from the shop. Right now it's just primered though. Was kinda in a rush to get the thing made up so the shop could weld up some mounts to get my splitter in place and fix my bumper sagging before doing the shroud for the V Mount.
jellenberg is offline   Reply With Quote