Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday December 7, 2022
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > News & Rumors

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2022, 11:07 AM   #51
bugatti0628
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 447323
Join Date: May 2016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapore0n View Post
Having said that, I do think people have their bias towards brands.
Some people will not touch german cars. Some people prefer Japanese cars. Some american.

Due to all this, the WRX might be on its own till Toyota releases the Corolla GR.
Maybe this is why Subaru decided to make the WRX the way it is.
The new civic type R is about to join them, and Hyundai elantra N isn't exactly standing still
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
bugatti0628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 07-19-2022, 12:05 PM   #52
samagon
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 26859
Join Date: Oct 2002
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: undisputed COMBAT! champion
Vehicle:
of TXIC
I also like (oYo)!!!!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight6 View Post
Subaru will introduce more performance goodies for the WRX as time goes on. Perhaps something along the lines of a performance pack with upgraded brakes, DCC and Recaro seats. The market is crazy right now. Cars like the Golf R and CTR or Corolla GR are not attainable for most people anywhere close to MSRP and I reckon won't be for a long time.
of the 3 the only one that anyone can buy new is the Golf R. the new CTR hasn't even been shown without camouflage, and while there are 2 pre-production GR Corollas that have been displayed, it doesn't have pricing yet (although we do have a good idea that October is when they will begin to be available).

so yeah, right now, not attainable (full stop) is the actual words for 2 of the 3 cars you reference.
samagon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 12:39 PM   #53
samagon
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 26859
Join Date: Oct 2002
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: undisputed COMBAT! champion
Vehicle:
of TXIC
I also like (oYo)!!!!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YungBoba View Post
With the STi dead, you can make the argument that the Outback Wilderness is the new halo car. Not for track enthusiasts and speed freaks, of course, but to regular folks. The two dealerships I visited over the weekend both had a Wilderness model (Outback at one and Fozzy at the other) prominently displayed front and center as soon as you step inside.
I'd submit the Wilderness brand is the halo now, not a specific model with the Wilderness trim.

that being said, my wife's OBW is the most fun I've had in a SUV, mainly because it's just a lifted wagon, but don't tell my wife it's a wagon, she loves SUV's and hates wagons!
samagon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 12:48 PM   #54
4S-TURBO
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 67807
Join Date: Aug 2004
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
an anachronism
of car culture

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samagon View Post
I'd submit the Wilderness brand is the halo now, not a specific model with the Wilderness trim.

that being said, my wife's OBW is the most fun I've had in a SUV, mainly because it's just a lifted wagon, but don't tell my wife it's a wagon, she loves SUV's and hates wagons!
My wife is the exact opposite. I tried to get her sold on a Geyser Blue OBW. But she loathes with a capital L the hyper SUV looks of it. She likes clean and painted preferably lowered with fancy wheels. If she had her way the Tiguan would already be dumped on the ground with a spit farting exhaust.
4S-TURBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 12:54 PM   #55
BrigadoonB
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 100524
Join Date: Nov 2005
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Denver
Vehicle:
2012 WRX
SWP

Default

Sales might be dismal but you still canít find anything on the lotÖ.so I think itís a bit misleading. This article would have more weight if every lot was full of unwanted wrxís.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BrigadoonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 01:28 PM   #56
4S-TURBO
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 67807
Join Date: Aug 2004
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
an anachronism
of car culture

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrigadoonB View Post
Sales might be dismal but you still canít find anything on the lotÖ.so I think itís a bit misleading. This article would have more weight if every lot was full of unwanted wrxís.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The article is saying the numbers look dismal compared to last year because thereís no more STI.
4S-TURBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 02:04 PM   #57
Snow Drift
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 75071
Join Date: Nov 2004
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Long Island
Vehicle:
AR Giulia,Tesla MY
Old: 05 08 11 WRX, 18 STI

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4S-TURBO View Post
The article is saying the numbers look dismal compared to last year because thereís no more STI.
I donít believe it. STI sales were probably tiny. Sales are down bc thereís just fewer cars to sell, and many that are available are sitting. Total volume is down for all metrics.
Snow Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 02:37 PM   #58
OldBlu
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 527735
Join Date: Dec 2021
Default

I think it's safe to say sales are down because it's ugly, has plastic cladding, doesn't have a significant power increase, has no manual on the top trim, and sacrifices physical controls for a large infotainment screen. Oh, and no STI. Happy to be proven wrong as future sales figures come in.

It's probably also pretty safe to say there's a segment (perhaps small) of consumers that were waiting for a hatch to come out this generation rather than buy the previous sedan.

Removing or painting the cladding seems like the easiest solution next to importing the Levorg, which has a hatch and already lacks cladding. But fast tracking a performance package or tS version would also help.

Any potential problems or solutions I overlooked?
OldBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 02:46 PM   #59
Snow Drift
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 75071
Join Date: Nov 2004
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Long Island
Vehicle:
AR Giulia,Tesla MY
Old: 05 08 11 WRX, 18 STI

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBlu View Post
I think it's safe to say sales are down because it's ugly, has plastic cladding, doesn't have a significant power increase, has no manual on the top trim, and sacrifices physical controls for a large infotainment screen. Oh, and no STI. Happy to be proven wrong as future sales figures come in.

It's probably also pretty safe to say there's a segment (perhaps small) of consumers that were waiting for a hatch to come out this generation rather than buy the previous sedan.

Removing or painting the cladding seems like the easiest solution next to importing the Levorg, which has a hatch and already lacks cladding. But fast tracking a performance package or tS version would also help.

Any potential problems or solutions I overlooked?
Chip shortage. The sales volume is also down bc production/shipping is down/delayed. Then add on top all of your other reasons.
Snow Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 02:56 PM   #60
wobbletop
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 11652
Join Date: Oct 2001
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Location: Ontario, Canada
Vehicle:
'18 Focus RS Red
'70 Porsche 914/6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrigadoonB View Post
Sales might be dismal but you still canít find anything on the lotÖ.so I think itís a bit misleading. This article would have more weight if every lot was full of unwanted wrxís.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cargurus shows 37 of WRX's available within 50 miles of Denver.

Or is carguru not a reliable way of determining availability?
wobbletop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 03:14 PM   #61
JustyWRC
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 153088
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Arlington, TN
Vehicle:
2005 Baja Turbo
95 Sambar 06 Forester

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbletop View Post
Cargurus shows 37 of WRX's available within 50 miles of Denver.

Or is carguru not a reliable way of determining availability?
According to Cargurus, there are only 6 within 500 miles of my location. Unless I did something wrong(wouldn't be surprised. first time in that website). Send those cars down this way so our retailers can sell some and maybe that sales deficit wouldn't be as big.
JustyWRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 03:29 PM   #62
Kostamojen
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 2272
Join Date: Sep 2000
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Fire Caves
Vehicle:
2019 Macan 4cyl
1993 Impreza FWD WRX swap

Default

Cargurus shows 107 within 100 miles of here, and Cars.com shows 96. Also, Cargurus runs like **** compared to Cars.com.
Kostamojen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 03:40 PM   #63
Snow Drift
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 75071
Join Date: Nov 2004
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Long Island
Vehicle:
AR Giulia,Tesla MY
Old: 05 08 11 WRX, 18 STI

Default

85 within 50 miles of me on CarGurus (never used them before, you savages). But, only 8 are red, so that means there are only 8 worth buying.

62 per Autotrader. 6 red. No wonder Subaru is going broke.
Snow Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 03:58 PM   #64
samagon
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 26859
Join Date: Oct 2002
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: undisputed COMBAT! champion
Vehicle:
of TXIC
I also like (oYo)!!!!

Default

30 within however far the default is on cargurus, most were in transit, so not really available.

I saw one at lunch today, which was the first I've seen not on the internet, or at a car show.

the rear bumper is still disappointing, but the fender flares are still ok IMO.
samagon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 03:58 PM   #65
samagon
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 26859
Join Date: Oct 2002
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: undisputed COMBAT! champion
Vehicle:
of TXIC
I also like (oYo)!!!!

Default

30 within however far the default is on cargurus, most were in transit, so not really available.

I saw one at lunch today, which was the first I've seen not on the internet, or at a car show.

the rear bumper is still disappointing, but the fender flares are still ok IMO.
samagon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 04:23 PM   #66
YungBoba
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 450808
Join Date: Jul 2016
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Anaheim
Vehicle:
2017 WRX Premium
WR Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samagon View Post
30 within however far the default is on cargurus, most were in transit, so not really available.

I saw one at lunch today, which was the first I've seen not on the internet, or at a car show.

the rear bumper is still disappointing, but the fender flares are still ok IMO.
The diaper butt looks pretty bad IMO. It sticks out way too far. The taillights also don't do it any favors. When we saw it in person, my fiance (who is not a car person) said "it looks like a Civic"

I like how my VA looks and compared to the VB it looks even better, but I'll also admit that it feels like it's missing some personality compared to the previous generations. The GD chassis had a ton of personality between the 3 different fascias/facelifts that they got and the GR hatches also had a great, unique look. All of those cars were distinctly Subaru. I remember when the VA first came out everybody said it looked like an Evo X because of the headlights, now everybody says the VB looks like a Civic because of the taillights.
YungBoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 04:40 PM   #67
shankmeyster
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 527832
Join Date: Dec 2021
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: AZ
Vehicle:
2021 WRX
WRB

Default

More power, better fuel economy in line with the competition, and an exterior that doesn't make people say meh. That might bring back some WRX buyers. Oh and finally put in a fricking sun visor that extends like most other cars have had for over a decade.
shankmeyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 05:04 PM   #68
Straight6
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 419593
Join Date: Apr 2015
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samagon View Post
of the 3 the only one that anyone can buy new is the Golf R. the new CTR hasn't even been shown without camouflage, and while there are 2 pre-production GR Corollas that have been displayed, it doesn't have pricing yet (although we do have a good idea that October is when they will begin to be available).

so yeah, right now, not attainable (full stop) is the actual words for 2 of the 3 cars you reference.
Full stop. The CTR had markups even before the market madness and at least in my area you are not getting a Golf R anywhere near the MSRP so yes for most people they are not attainable @ MSRP. I can't speak for the GR but I am sure that will be the case as well.
Straight6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 05:15 PM   #69
JustyWRC
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 153088
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Arlington, TN
Vehicle:
2005 Baja Turbo
95 Sambar 06 Forester

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YungBoba View Post
The diaper butt looks pretty bad IMO. It sticks out way too far. The taillights also don't do it any favors. When we saw it in person, my fiance (who is not a car person) said "it looks like a Civic"

I like how my VA looks and compared to the VB it looks even better, but I'll also admit that it feels like it's missing some personality compared to the previous generations. The GD chassis had a ton of personality between the 3 different fascias/facelifts that they got and the GR hatches also had a great, unique look. All of those cars were distinctly Subaru. I remember when the VA first came out everybody said it looked like an Evo X because of the headlights, now everybody says the VB looks like a Civic because of the taillights.
Optical illusion from the way the ends are designed. That "protrusion" sticks out from the trunk actually LESS than your VA's bumper!

Still odd looking. Just amusing the statements of "too far" when it is shorter(by millimeters) than the version it replaces.
JustyWRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 05:26 PM   #70
YungBoba
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 450808
Join Date: Jul 2016
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Anaheim
Vehicle:
2017 WRX Premium
WR Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustyWRC View Post
Optical illusion from the way the ends are designed. That "protrusion" sticks out from the trunk actually LESS than your VA's bumper!

Still odd looking. Just amusing the statements of "too far" when it is shorter(by millimeters) than the version it replaces.
Okay, okay.

It LOOKS like it sticks out too far.

Happy now?

That's really the complaint I have (and most others as well, I'd wager). It's not about the actual exterior dimensions of the car, but rather how far the black plastic cladding protrudes out from the body colored part of the bumper. It looks incredible goofy IMO.
YungBoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 05:32 PM   #71
Russ_G93
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 528403
Join Date: Jan 2022
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: NorCal
Vehicle:
22' WR-HikingShoe
17' F250, 18' Q5, 18' CRV

Default

Out here in our little town Cargurus shows about 41 results in 75miles, 15 results in 50miles; most are stock images. But we currently have 5 on sold order, would be nice if we had some allocation. Car reminds me of my 09 LGT (Nothing will replace that car). But you know what was hella annoying, ive had to repaint that rear bumper 6 different times due to other people and one mishap with a small rock out at one of our lakes. Still debating putting bed spray on the cladding to make it tough, but im pretty much over the "waiting for my **** to be repainted, every single time theres some mishap." Do I wish it was faster? yeah, kinda, but im not out here trying to race anyone. Do I still love it? Not as much as my truck, but I got it for the same reason why I owned an LGT. Dumps 3 feet of snow in my neighborhood each winter. It pays to not have a super expensive car to "fix" should anything go down. Also too, People suck, they will dent your car, rear-end you, tailgate you while going 10 over highway speeds etc; they don't care. Wasn't going to spend over 40k for just a sporty daily, but I did need the AWD.

I still think its strange we compare Predominantly 2WD vehicles to that of a AWD all the time vehicle.
Completely different maintenance needs as well as their components wearing differently . Especially Honda's and Toyota's. Their reliability figures and reputation are due to popular 2WD under-stressed 4-banger's with no turbos.
Yes Even 4runners and Tacomas. They normally drive in 2WD.
But since the WRX is in the price range of say an N, SI, Type R, etc, I can see why they are compared.
We expect these cars to progress, not get worse. Engine wise the 2.4 is a progression, it is flat-out Under-Stressed. and yeah yeah there was COVID, but that didn't stop Honda and Toyota from making quality cars for their enthusiasts, Although... they are quite Bigger in over all Company size than Subaru (More Money). Thats still a valid advantage. But for the most part I agree, could the WRX be better? Duhh. Do I regret buying? Nawh son.
Russ_G93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 05:32 PM   #72
SoDealer
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 67960
Join Date: Aug 2004
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustyWRC View Post
Yeah. So? They talk about the things they did to strengthen this WRX more than the Impreza. It's the same idea they did with the previous WRX over the previous Impreza. Which would be expected. The last gen was the first time they had a difference with the chassis. You make it sound like some big change happened and it really didn't. It was probably just easier to do these specific upgrades on the newer SGP as he says "get more robots in". Man, you had me a bit excited thinking there was some new change.
Iím saying the SGP construction is different for the Impreza vs the new WRX. You canít just grab an Impreza 5 door and turn it into a WRX this go around as lots of welds have given way to adhesives and the frame is now a full inner frame on the wrx which is not how any of the prior SGP vehicles were built. The current Impreza isnít built that way.
SoDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 05:53 PM   #73
JustyWRC
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 153088
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Arlington, TN
Vehicle:
2005 Baja Turbo
95 Sambar 06 Forester

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YungBoba View Post
Okay, okay.

It LOOKS like it sticks out too far.

Happy now?

That's really the complaint I have (and most others as well, I'd wager). It's not about the actual exterior dimensions of the car, but rather how far the black plastic cladding protrudes out from the body colored part of the bumper. It looks incredible goofy IMO.
LOL. Yeah. It's those ends that curve down and not up towards the tail lights "closing" it in. When I first saw the car, most of the stuff was all too familar. Engine doesn't look different; so, no staring there. The interior isn't new. No staring there. Seats are seats. Doesn't take long to say yay or nay. But, I did find myself at the back looking a long time discussing the car with someone from SOA. It's different; but, ultimately I'm fine with it. And I'm sure I'll be fine if they "fix" it by the time I get one end of next year/first of '24(gotta get a DD first).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoDealer View Post
Iím saying the SGP construction is different for the Impreza vs the new WRX. You canít just grab an Impreza 5 door and turn it into a WRX this go around as lots of welds have given way to adhesives and the frame is now a full inner frame on the wrx which is not how any of the prior SGP vehicles were built. The current Impreza isnít built that way.

That video you posted they even say that there are "added" welds and adhesive. Not a "different" way they put it together. That would be counter to what the SGP is all about. And that's what they did with the previous gen. Likely more though when they took it and added welds in strategic places to strengthen the chassis as much as they did.
JustyWRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 06:51 PM   #74
chanomatik
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 159474
Join Date: Sep 2007
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Northbridge, MA
Vehicle:
2017 Impreza Sport
Lithium Red - OLDKID

Default

So I was just reading up on the SGP, SGP Impreza, and SGP WRX, each at their respective debut. Both Impreza and WRX saw significant improvements over the outgoing model because of adopting the SGP. I couldn't find anything that specifically states the WRX is constructed differently than the Impreza, but I'd have to assume it is since it's packing more power.

I might search up the YouTube video where the engineers talk about the VB WRX. Debating on if I care that much though.
chanomatik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 06:55 PM   #75
SoDealer
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 67960
Join Date: Aug 2004
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustyWRC View Post
That video you posted they even say that there are "added" welds and adhesive. Not a "different" way they put it together. That would be counter to what the SGP is all about. And that's what they did with the previous gen. Likely more though when they took it and added welds in strategic places to strengthen the chassis as much as they did.
The full inner frame structure is totally different from how Imprezas are constructed. All prior SGP vehicles have panels already on the frame before the frame pieces are put together. The wrx has a full frame assembly and the panels are welded on AFTER the fully completed frame. The structure is built totally differently and on top of that, the structure is welded differently(more use of spot welds) and a significant amount of welds are substituted with adhesive. This is very different from older WRX's simply adding more welds and bracing to an Impreza

Last edited by SoDealer; 07-19-2022 at 07:46 PM.
SoDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2022 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.