Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday December 15, 2017
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Motorsports

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2017, 09:56 PM   #3026
REDbugeye
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 212664
Join Date: May 2009
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: buffalo, ny
Vehicle:
03 wrx
sedona red

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Olsen View Post
Next time try searching the thread for the word "hood". You gotta think outside the box sometimes!


Yeah but why do my own leg work when someone else can do it for me??

I couldn't find it on eBay either so it had to have been custom.

Thanks for the tip! ;-)
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
REDbugeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:16 PM   #3027
motorbykemike
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 273868
Join Date: Feb 2011
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boost junkie View Post
Yep,

the motorsport damper industry is so incestuous.



everybody knows everybody and they know what works
motorbykemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 10:07 AM   #3028
boost junkie
Top Scoob 009
 
Member#: 68273
Join Date: Aug 2004
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: IAG Performance
Vehicle:
2012 WRX
GD Race Car

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorbykemike View Post
everybody knows everybody and they know what works
And we reap the benefits!
boost junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 10:18 AM   #3029
boost junkie
Top Scoob 009
 
Member#: 68273
Join Date: Aug 2004
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: IAG Performance
Vehicle:
2012 WRX
GD Race Car

Default

In order to take full advantage of the paddle shift system, particularly on downshifts, I needed to get as much weight out of the flywheel and clutch as possible. Modulation wasn't much of a concern since I only need the pedal to get moving from a stop. A carbon clutch would have been sweet but well out of my price range at this time.

I decided to go with a Tilton 5.5" OT-III HD triple disc metallic, along with their hydraulic release bearing. This is mated to a billet "supalite" flywheel from TTV Racing in the U.K. I had never heard of these guys before but I learned they make the flywheels for a LOT of factory race teams. Everything from the BTCC Subaru Levorgs to the BMW M4 GT4 and even F3 and historic F1. They were extremely accommodating (as was Tilton) and can make pretty much anything you ask for.

The flywheel is 3.5kg (7.7 lbs) and the clutch assembly is also 7.7 lbs, for a total combined weight of only 15.4 lbs! For comparison, the Exedy Twin that's in the car now is around 33 lbs for clutch and flywheel. This savings is going to make a huge difference in downshift speeds, not to mention improving acceleration.





boost junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 10:47 AM   #3030
funk32
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 245787
Join Date: May 2010
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Location: Canada
Vehicle:
2004 STi
PSM

Default

insane rotational weight drop! luckily you don't have to worry about how fast you are shifting LOL.
funk32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 12:19 PM   #3031
boost junkie
Top Scoob 009
 
Member#: 68273
Join Date: Aug 2004
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: IAG Performance
Vehicle:
2012 WRX
GD Race Car

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by funk32 View Post
insane rotational weight drop! luckily you don't have to worry about how fast you are shifting LOL.
I'm sure I'll stall it in the paddock right at the moment when everyone is looking haha.
boost junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 07:38 PM   #3032
mpj_becks
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 6265
Join Date: May 2001
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Hayward, CA
Default

Damn wish I was a baller lol, looks badass mate!
mpj_becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 07:23 AM   #3033
worksti
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 117847
Join Date: Jun 2006
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Seattle, WA.
Vehicle:
2005 Rotated DOM3XTR
460whp, 400wtq Pump Tune

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boost junkie View Post
I'm sure I'll stall it in the paddock right at the moment when everyone is looking haha.


I'm sorry I missed it but what transmission are you planning to run that's paddle shift?
worksti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 09:17 AM   #3034
jvangelder
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 358395
Join Date: Jun 2013
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: NH
Vehicle:
05 STI
White with Rubber marks

Default

Adding to the list of questions...

I just skimmed the thread looking for info of what your using for crank/cam whatever position tracking and didnt see anything. I spoke with Franz recently and he touched on how wonderful the oem pieces work (read: sarcasm) and before I go reinvent the wheel and build my own I may as well see what the big guys are doing.

Are you using the oem stuff? A crank trigger wheel? some combination of the above?

-Jacob
jvangelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 10:57 AM   #3035
boost junkie
Top Scoob 009
 
Member#: 68273
Join Date: Aug 2004
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: IAG Performance
Vehicle:
2012 WRX
GD Race Car

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpj_becks View Post
Damn wish I was a baller lol, looks badass mate!
Ballin on a budget mate! The Tilton metallic clutches aren't too bad, around the same cost as an Exedy twin. The true ballers use carbon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by worksti View Post
I'm sorry I missed it but what transmission are you planning to run that's paddle shift?
Samsonas sequential should be here any day now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvangelder View Post
Adding to the list of questions...

I just skimmed the thread looking for info of what your using for crank/cam whatever position tracking and didnt see anything. I spoke with Franz recently and he touched on how wonderful the oem pieces work (read: sarcasm) and before I go reinvent the wheel and build my own I may as well see what the big guys are doing.

Are you using the oem stuff? A crank trigger wheel? some combination of the above?

-Jacob
Still using the oem pieces, as that's what the motec software is written for. We could use a custom trigger wheel in theory and rewrite the software for it but haven't seen the need. The oem stuff works totally fine.
boost junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 02:45 PM   #3036
boost junkie
Top Scoob 009
 
Member#: 68273
Join Date: Aug 2004
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: IAG Performance
Vehicle:
2012 WRX
GD Race Car

Default

I am proud to announce a new partnership with Cosworth! They have offered to supply their intake manifold to start with, but I will be adding some more of their parts later in the season, such as a billet crankshaft. Really thrilled to partner with such a legendary name in motorsport, and I'm looking forward to seeing some power gains with the manifold. More to come once it gets installed!

In the meantime, here's a pic of me hard parked at Boxerfest last weekend.

boost junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 03:02 PM   #3037
Bansheeboy11
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 182415
Join Date: Jun 2008
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: New York
Vehicle:
1999 RS
Aspen White

Default

I got to check out the car out on sunday and it looks great! Theres always speed bumps along the road but im glad its turned out as well as it did, im probably one of the few people here who've seen this thing through the entire process from when IAG first got their hands on it, ive been to the shop a bunch as well as peeking at it from all the events they drag it around to, good work!
Bansheeboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 05:34 PM   #3038
Scargod
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 260314
Join Date: Oct 2010
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: S central CT, New England
Vehicle:
2008 STI hatch
silver

Default

Nice! Anything helps, right? Better than a sharp stick in the eye.
Scargod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 06:15 PM   #3039
boost junkie
Top Scoob 009
 
Member#: 68273
Join Date: Aug 2004
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: IAG Performance
Vehicle:
2012 WRX
GD Race Car

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bansheeboy11 View Post
I got to check out the car out on sunday and it looks great! Theres always speed bumps along the road but im glad its turned out as well as it did, im probably one of the few people here who've seen this thing through the entire process from when IAG first got their hands on it, ive been to the shop a bunch as well as peeking at it from all the events they drag it around to, good work!
Thanks for following, hoping to move forward with the development and start getting some serious results soon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scargod View Post
Nice! Anything helps, right? Better than a sharp stick in the eye.
Agreed, new intake manifold>partial blindness.
boost junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 04:30 AM   #3040
vicious_fishes
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 158864
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Aussieland
Vehicle:
2003 SOHC destroker

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boost junkie View Post
Thanks for following, hoping to move forward with the development and start getting some serious results soon!

Agreed, new intake manifold>partial blindness.
You mean the $5000 tomei ITB one was too expensive?


Aside from *some* stuff on the engine I'm genuinely struggling to come up with something you HAVEN'T done to this car now the sequential is on the way.

I'm interested to know why you chose the fuel you did, was it just an endurance/capacity thing? I would have thought 100% ethanol would be the way to go for the cooling benefit.
vicious_fishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 12:06 PM   #3041
boost junkie
Top Scoob 009
 
Member#: 68273
Join Date: Aug 2004
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: IAG Performance
Vehicle:
2012 WRX
GD Race Car

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicious_fishes View Post
You mean the $5000 tomei ITB one was too expensive?


Aside from *some* stuff on the engine I'm genuinely struggling to come up with something you HAVEN'T done to this car now the sequential is on the way.

I'm interested to know why you chose the fuel you did, was it just an endurance/capacity thing? I would have thought 100% ethanol would be the way to go for the cooling benefit.
Hey, if Tomei called me up and offered a sponsorship deal I wouldn't turn it down but so far no luck I think I'll get great results with Cosworth though, and they have some other stuff in their catalog that I will take advantage of later on.

I'd say that every part of the car has been touched in some way but there's still a lot left that can be done. Going forward, I think aero development is where the most will be gained.

The Ignite Red is really amazing stuff, I can't see the need to run anything else. It's effectively E90, 114 octane, and if you buy it by the 55 gallon drum, it works out to $5 something a gallon which is a steal for race gas. Hell, it's cheaper than 93 octane at the trackside pump! There's a good reason it is so widely used in time attack and formula drift.
boost junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 11:12 PM   #3042
vicious_fishes
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 158864
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Aussieland
Vehicle:
2003 SOHC destroker

Default

Yes aero's one of those things that benefits more the faster the rest of your car is. Woo physics.

What non-aero stuff do you still have planned? About the only things I can really think of left are engine headwork, maybe some kind of abs wizardry? and I can't remember what you did for diffs but I'm sure they were changed
vicious_fishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 09:24 AM   #3043
03threefiftyz
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 458149
Join Date: Nov 2016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boost junkie View Post
Hey, if Tomei called me up and offered a sponsorship deal I wouldn't turn it down but so far no luck I think I'll get great results with Cosworth though, and they have some other stuff in their catalog that I will take advantage of later on.

I'd say that every part of the car has been touched in some way but there's still a lot left that can be done. Going forward, I think aero development is where the most will be gained.

The Ignite Red is really amazing stuff, I can't see the need to run anything else. It's effectively E90, 114 octane, and if you buy it by the 55 gallon drum, it works out to $5 something a gallon which is a steal for race gas. Hell, it's cheaper than 93 octane at the trackside pump! There's a good reason it is so widely used in time attack and formula drift.
Where are you finding it at that price, Dan? When I looked before it was something like $9 a gallon in 55g drums....
03threefiftyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 04:32 PM   #3044
boost junkie
Top Scoob 009
 
Member#: 68273
Join Date: Aug 2004
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: IAG Performance
Vehicle:
2012 WRX
GD Race Car

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicious_fishes View Post
Yes aero's one of those things that benefits more the faster the rest of your car is. Woo physics.

What non-aero stuff do you still have planned? About the only things I can really think of left are engine headwork, maybe some kind of abs wizardry? and I can't remember what you did for diffs but I'm sure they were changed
Yes, using a quaife front and carbonetic rear diff. Definitely going to do some head porting next time they're off. Bosch ABS is in the future plans. At this point, once the sequential goes in, I just want to spend some time focusing on getting the setup dialed in and fine tuning.
boost junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 04:33 PM   #3045
boost junkie
Top Scoob 009
 
Member#: 68273
Join Date: Aug 2004
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: IAG Performance
Vehicle:
2012 WRX
GD Race Car

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03threefiftyz View Post
Where are you finding it at that price, Dan? When I looked before it was something like $9 a gallon in 55g drums....
Direct from Ignite.
boost junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 06:31 PM   #3046
Scargod
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 260314
Join Date: Oct 2010
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: S central CT, New England
Vehicle:
2008 STI hatch
silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boost junkie View Post
Yes, using a quaife front and carbonetic rear diff...
This is of great interest to me. I am using custom tuned OS Giken diffs. Stock center diff with DCCD Pro controls. With my use of the 430WHP setting on 11 inch wide Goodrich G-Force R1 tires I felt like I was getting some slight slippage (as in slight RPM rise) in a couple spots on tight uphill turns. I suspect the center diff but don't know if that's realistic. I also might not be at full lockup on the diff controller. Do not think there's any way it's the clutch slipping.
My OS Gikens:
Front diff: "1.0". The one way settings are 3 degrees on deceleration (effectively zero) and 45 degrees on acceleration side. Lock timing is 184 kgs.
Rear diff: "1.5". 25/38 degrees, cam angle and 376 kgs. negative resistance to lock.
.
Why, for you, the choice of the two different brands of diffs?

Last edited by Scargod; 06-20-2017 at 12:13 PM.
Scargod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 11:35 AM   #3047
boost junkie
Top Scoob 009
 
Member#: 68273
Join Date: Aug 2004
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: IAG Performance
Vehicle:
2012 WRX
GD Race Car

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scargod View Post
This is of great interest to me. I am using custom tuned OS Giken diffs. Stock center diff with DCCD Pro controls. With my use of the 430WHP setting on 11 inch wide Goodrich G-Force R1 tires I felt like I was getting some slight slippage (as in slight RPM rise) in a couple spots on tight uphill turns. I suspect the center diff but don't know if that's realistic. I also might not be at full lockup on the diff controller. Do not think there's any way it's the clutch slipping.
My OS Gikens:
Front diff: "1.0". The one way settings are 3 degrees on deceleration (effectively zero) and 45 degrees on acceleration side. Lock timing is 184 kgs.
Rear diff: "1.5". 25/38 degrees, cam angle and 376 kgs. negative resistance to lock.
.
Why, for you, the choice of the two different brands of diffs?
The idea was that the helical front would be better in helping the front end tuck in on corner entry. I really am pretty happy with the diff setup, although I'm still playing around with the DCCDPro settings. I'm not sure exactly how the Carbonetic rear is set up from the factory but I haven't changed it at all. I'm not getting any wheel spin, even at 620whp, and the car rotates pretty well. Still a little bit of mid corner understeer to dial out but I haven't gotten enough time in the car to really work on setup yet.
boost junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 12:21 PM   #3048
Scargod
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 260314
Join Date: Oct 2010
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: S central CT, New England
Vehicle:
2008 STI hatch
silver

Default

Same here with the DCCD Pro. I've yet to go through the process of finding a level spot for the car and zeroing the dual axis G sensor. Did you zero everything per their instructions?
And you're running the stock center diff??
Scargod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 05:57 PM   #3049
RC000E
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 101309
Join Date: Nov 2005
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Vehicle:
2002 Corvette Z06
Satin Pearl Nero (avery)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boost junkie View Post
I am proud to announce a new partnership with Cosworth! They have offered to supply their intake manifold to start with, but I will be adding some more of their parts later in the season, such as a billet crankshaft. Really thrilled to partner with such a legendary name in motorsport, and I'm looking forward to seeing some power gains with the manifold. More to come once it gets installed!

In the meantime, here's a pic of me hard parked at Boxerfest last weekend.

Damn...that build is mean as hell. Nice...

I gotta go back and read through this thread. Haven't been on this forum in yrs. Just tryin to see what's happening in various parts of the scene.
RC000E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 04:12 PM   #3050
boost junkie
Top Scoob 009
 
Member#: 68273
Join Date: Aug 2004
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: IAG Performance
Vehicle:
2012 WRX
GD Race Car

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scargod View Post
Same here with the DCCD Pro. I've yet to go through the process of finding a level spot for the car and zeroing the dual axis G sensor. Did you zero everything per their instructions?
And you're running the stock center diff??
I did at one point but I think I need to do it again. Some things have moved around since then, ride height changed, etc.

Currently running stock center diff, apparently some of the upgraded center diffs don't work so well on tarmac.
boost junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Turn in Concepts 2010 Track Car Build Turn in Concepts Press Releases 374 12-30-2016 03:06 PM
My GC Race car build rrsettgast Member's Car Gallery 3 04-27-2010 01:19 PM
Came out to my car... belt on the ground and this (pic). Padge Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.0L Turbo) 3 03-11-2009 11:36 PM
Getting my car closer to the ground BluScopion Vancouver Impreza Club Forum -- VIC 12 02-02-2007 03:30 AM
got car back from the shop, now lights are messed up X2.5RS01X New England Impreza Club Forum -- NESIC 1 02-21-2005 10:41 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2017 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2017, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.