Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday March 26, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Newbies & FAQs

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 05-07-2011, 11:45 AM   #1
richsufan
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 282009
Vehicle:
07 Impreza
Gray

Question Check engine light code P0700

Can anyone help me with my problem? I have an 07 Impreza and my check engine light has been on along with my car not wanting to shift out of park. When I step on the brake and it wont shift, the brake light does not come on, but when it does shift, the light does come on. This is very frustrating, as sometimes it takes 10 minutes or so just to get the car out of park. My Impreza is not a Turbo, just a factory basic automatic.
I hooked it up to a code reader yesterday and it came up with code P0700 Transmission Control System Malfunction. I have read that it may be the shift lock solenoid that is causing it to not shift and if that is the case, does anyone have any illustrations on how to access this and replace, and also any idea of where I could purchase one of these and at what cost?
I appreciate any help.
richsufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2011, 03:28 PM   #2
SamuraiLincoln
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 274670
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2016 S3
Glacier Metallic White

P0700 is MIL request from the transmission control unit ... which means you have a trouble code set in the Trans module.

This is a generic code and you need to access the Trans module for the code that caused the Engine light to illuminate.

Sorry I can't be of any more help.
SamuraiLincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 11:15 AM   #3
richsufan
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 282009
Vehicle:
07 Impreza
Gray

Question Do you know how to access Trans module?

Does anyone on here know how to access the Trans module that SamuraiLincoln described?
Thanks
richsufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 07:46 PM   #4
SamuraiLincoln
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 274670
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2016 S3
Glacier Metallic White

You will need either an aftermarket scan tool with Asian software (Snap-On Modis, OTC Genisys ect.)or a factory scan tool to get the code(s) you are after.

You can call your local auto parts stores & ask them if they have the capability to pull codes from anything other than the ECM. You may end up having to pay a shop to get the code your after.

Do you have a shop that you regularly go to, that has a scan tool??
SamuraiLincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:08 PM   #5
urabus its 40
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 77035
Vehicle:
2004 STi - Dom 3xtr
w/ wooden wheels

richsufan - Did you get this resolved? i am having the same issue (P0700) with an 2005 2.5 RS right now and wondering if it is unsafe to drive it to work and back since i dont really have another way to get back and forth and i have to go to work. If any one has any tips or ideas they would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
urabus its 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 02:49 PM   #6
peachesmb912
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 383056
Vehicle:
2008 Impreza Outback
Silver

I am having the same issue, the dealer said that the code P0700 for the transmission, but doesn't know why the ABS light keeps turning on. Any ideas?
peachesmb912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:15 AM   #7
gerbenav
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 384092
Chapter/Region: International
Vehicle:
2006 2006
Red

I have a 2006 subaru impreza 2.0 AT and I have the same problem shows me 2 errors P0700 and P1718 and the power blinks and ABS light keeps turning on

What i can do to fix this?
gerbenav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:17 PM   #8
3eagles
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 461742
Vehicle:
2007 Subaru Legacy

Default Misfire and p0700 code

When I first started my 2007 Legacy today it had a miss a bit like a choke problem. I was just going over town so I went anyway. Mistake! About 1/2 mile with the engine still running rough the check engine light came on and the cruise light was flashing. Kept running worse with some backfire until the car barely crawled to the next turn off. Car will start but wont rev over 2000 (if that) and wont move the car. It just dies. Give it any gas and it dies. Put the code checker and it had 3 misfire codes and a P0700 code. I had it checked and they couldn't find the problem so they cleared the codes to see if that helped. It didn't. Now I've borrowed a scanner that will read the TCM but there are no codes to read and the car isn't drivable. I had a problem early last winter with key codes and had them reset a Subaru. When they pulled the car out there was a problem with the drive by wire system. The mechanic fiddled under the dash and under the hood and suddenly all was fine. I've connected and reconnected the plugs but no change. Is the problem likely to be in the throttle or in the transmission, or both? I am Subaru, and electronics, illiterate and really need some ideas.
3eagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 12:32 AM   #9
grey wolf
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 465431
Chapter/Region: VIC
Vehicle:
2002 JDM V7 STI
WRB

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsufan View Post
Can anyone help me with my problem? I have an 07 Impreza and my check engine light has been on along with my car not wanting to shift out of park. When I step on the brake and it wont shift, the brake light does not come on, but when it does shift, the light does come on. This is very frustrating, as sometimes it takes 10 minutes or so just to get the car out of park. My Impreza is not a Turbo, just a factory basic automatic.
I hooked it up to a code reader yesterday and it came up with code P0700 Transmission Control System Malfunction. I have read that it may be the shift lock solenoid that is causing it to not shift and if that is the case, does anyone have any illustrations on how to access this and replace, and also any idea of where I could purchase one of these and at what cost?
I appreciate any help.
If you have a shift lock solenoid problem, that will prevent you from shifting out of park. That P0700 code, as mentioned above, just means there is a fault in the transmission control system. One way to tell if you have a solenoid problem is, start the car up or turn ignition on. Press the brake pedal. Do you hear a clicking sound each time you press the brake pedal? If so, that is probably your shift lock solenoid working. If you don't hear it, then you may have a solenoid problem. This solenoid is located in the shifter assembly. I'm not sure exactly on your car, but in most cases, there is a small cover you can remove somewhere on the shifter assembly. Stick a screwdriver or something like that in the hole, you should be able to feel something that you can push down. Push it down and you can shift out of park. It is the shift lock bypass. That will let you shift out of park and drive the car around until you can get it fixed anyway. Maybe there is a recall for this problem? Check your Subaru dealer.

Alternately, you can check to make sure your brake lights are working too. If your brake lights aren't working, then you may have a brake pedal position switch or brake light switch problem. This switch typically sends the signal to activate the shift lock solenoid as well. So if you have no brake lights, and you can't get out of park, you may have a problem with the brake light switch.

Hope that helps!
grey wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 12:38 AM   #10
grey wolf
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 465431
Chapter/Region: VIC
Vehicle:
2002 JDM V7 STI
WRB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3eagles View Post
When I first started my 2007 Legacy today it had a miss a bit like a choke problem. I was just going over town so I went anyway. Mistake! About 1/2 mile with the engine still running rough the check engine light came on and the cruise light was flashing. Kept running worse with some backfire until the car barely crawled to the next turn off. Car will start but wont rev over 2000 (if that) and wont move the car. It just dies. Give it any gas and it dies. Put the code checker and it had 3 misfire codes and a P0700 code. I had it checked and they couldn't find the problem so they cleared the codes to see if that helped. It didn't. Now I've borrowed a scanner that will read the TCM but there are no codes to read and the car isn't drivable. I had a problem early last winter with key codes and had them reset a Subaru. When they pulled the car out there was a problem with the drive by wire system. The mechanic fiddled under the dash and under the hood and suddenly all was fine. I've connected and reconnected the plugs but no change. Is the problem likely to be in the throttle or in the transmission, or both? I am Subaru, and electronics, illiterate and really need some ideas.
Sounds like maybe a bad air mass meter (MAF sensor). Just one possibility. You could take a look at the sensor and see if something got past the air filter and lodged onto the sensor filament. Don't touch the filament though, these sensors are extremely sensitive. Even the oil from your skin is enough to ruin the sensor. If you do see something on it, depending what it is, you could try using something like a toothpick or small screwdriver to dislodge the object from your sensor. Or try buying an aerosol MAF sensor cleaner from your local parts store. On the other hand, the sensor could just be bad, and you will have to replace it. OR, it could be something else entirely! But it sounds to me like this could be your problem.
grey wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 01:11 AM   #11
3eagles
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2007 Subaru Legacy

Default P0700

Sounds like a good place to check. The check engine plus flashing cruise was a bit startling. I check the air sensor tomorrow. If this was a pre computer car I'd say it was acting like a bad fuel pump but it didn't throw a code for fuel pressure. Thanks for the tip I hope it solves this.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:11 AM   #12
Charlie-III
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 30669
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey wolf View Post
If you have a shift lock solenoid problem, that will prevent you from shifting out of park. That P0700 code, as mentioned above, just means there is a fault in the transmission control system. One way to tell if you have a solenoid problem is, start the car up or turn ignition on. Press the brake pedal. Do you hear a clicking sound each time you press the brake pedal? If so, that is probably your shift lock solenoid working. If you don't hear it, then you may have a solenoid problem. This solenoid is located in the shifter assembly. I'm not sure exactly on your car, but in most cases, there is a small cover you can remove somewhere on the shifter assembly. Stick a screwdriver or something like that in the hole, you should be able to feel something that you can push down. Push it down and you can shift out of park. It is the shift lock bypass. That will let you shift out of park and drive the car around until you can get it fixed anyway. Maybe there is a recall for this problem? Check your Subaru dealer.

Alternately, you can check to make sure your brake lights are working too. If your brake lights aren't working, then you may have a brake pedal position switch or brake light switch problem. This switch typically sends the signal to activate the shift lock solenoid as well. So if you have no brake lights, and you can't get out of park, you may have a problem with the brake light switch.

Hope that helps!
Hopefully he fixed it 6 years ago.

Whatever, yes, most AT's have a way to manually bypass/unlock the shift interlock. Some are a small plastic cover by the shifteryou pop out and stick your key into while shifting to neutral. Owners manual will cover "shift interlock" somewhere.

3eagles, I would work the misfires, I have seen an engine code also pop a trans or ABS code (but you can't pull any codes from them), fix the engine first.
How many miles on the car?
When was the last tuneup?
Did you recently get gas from somewhere new?
Any recent work done?
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 01:12 PM   #13
3eagles
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2007 Subaru Legacy

Default No power

The misfire codes were p0301 p0303 and p0304 indicating a cylinder misfire. The car had been starting and running perfectly and the last gas fill up was about 1/4 tank ago. To clarify I am not having any problem with the shifter or with getting it out of park. The car just barely pulls itself at idle for a few feet then dyes. Touch the gas pedal and it also dies. When I was trying to idle my way to get off the road it would occasionally blow back through the air intake and die. Its like the misfire caused the P0700 code if that makes sense. I haven't done any tune up on the car recently but all seemed fine. It was raining when this problem occurred but I don't believe that would be a problem. No puddles to drive through anyway.
I'll check the Mass Air Sensor today but I'm not expecting that to be the problem. Could it be a problem in the drive by wire?
Car is just under 200,000 miles and the only noticeable problem is a power steering pump leak. Thanks for responding. Chuck
Old 04-27-2017, 03:31 PM   #14
3eagles
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2007 Subaru Legacy

Air sensor is clean and I checked to see if the throttle was working with the pedal. It was. Now it just starts and then dies right away. Motor is cold so that isn't helping. I checked for fuel pressure from the pump and it is working. So what now? I keep thinking (hoping) that it a sensor gone bad but can't id it.
Old 04-27-2017, 04:59 PM   #15
Charlie-III
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

Quote:
The misfire codes were p0301 p0303 and p0304 indicating a cylinder misfire. The car had been starting and running perfectly and the last gas fill up was about 1/4 tank ago. To clarify I am not having any problem with the shifter or with getting it out of park. The car just barely pulls itself at idle for a few feet then dyes. Touch the gas pedal and it also dies. When I was trying to idle my way to get off the road it would occasionally blow back through the air intake and die. Its like the misfire caused the P0700 code if that makes sense. I haven't done any tune up on the car recently but all seemed fine. It was raining when this problem occurred but I don't believe that would be a problem. No puddles to drive through anyway.
I'll check the Mass Air Sensor today but I'm not expecting that to be the problem. Could it be a problem in the drive by wire?
Car is just under 200,000 miles and the only noticeable problem is a power steering pump leak. Thanks for responding. Chuck
Like I said, work the misfires, the P0700 may be because of that.
Is yours a single coil or 4 coil packs?
If s single with 4 plug wires, old wires can be shorting to ground causing the misfire. When it's wet, it's worse. You may see a gray film on the wires near any ground (like intake, valve covers).
You can park the car n a dark spot, open hood, engine running and may see blue sparks from the wires or hear a snap sound as they arc.

If coil packs, they could be shorting to the spark plug tubes.

Worn out plugs make either system work harder which leads to misfires under load.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:08 PM   #16
3eagles
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2007 Subaru Legacy

Needing plugs and wires is probably a given on this but it hasn't been missing since I bought it. I would expect missing to come and go on occasion but this was an all at once episode. Running rough, loss of engine rev over about 1/4 mile followed by check engine and cruise lights and flashing. Wouldn't even run 1000rpm. Now in the drive checked all connections, cleaned MAS did a key on fuel pressure test and got 50lbs (high?). Now the car will start but is idling at less than 500. No throttle pressure allowed slight pressure and it dies immediately. Checked the DBW and its working. As I said I'm not a computer car guy but I've worked on cars all my life. The Subaru is a new experience for me so I'm posting questions here. There has to be some one thing causing all of this. I'd hate to have to take it to Subaru. Thanks to everyone trying to help.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:37 PM   #17
Charlie-III
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

Did you check anything I suggested?

How long (time and miles) have you owned the car?
Old 04-27-2017, 11:39 PM   #18
3eagles
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2007 Subaru Legacy

Ran out of time today. I'll do plugs and wires tomorrow it probably needs them anyway. I bought it in December. Its run beautifully up till now. I doubt we've put 200 miles on it.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:50 PM   #19
Charlie-III
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

Wonder whatever happened........ would be nice to get some feedback.

PS, I was searching for P1718 and this thread popped up so I figured I would post.....
Old 11-20-2017, 11:17 PM   #20
3eagles
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2007 Subaru Legacy

Default P700

It was finally fixed by replacing the Throttle Position Sensor.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:38 AM   #21
Charlie-III
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

Quote:
It was finally fixed by replacing the Throttle Position Sensor.
And you for the reply.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:27 PM   #22
smokinone
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 494889

I'm getting a P2764 code along with my P0700 code. anyone else dealing with this? can't seem to find a lot of info really
smokinone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 12:28 PM   #23
Elbert Bass
Scooby Specialist

Member#: 283429
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2016 Fuji Sunfire 03
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinone View Post
I'm getting a P2764 code along with my P0700 code. anyone else dealing with this? can't seem to find a lot of info really
Without knowing exactly which model/year Subaru I can't provide exact diagnostics steps/wires to test. I can tell you have a CVT transmission because P2764 is only valid for CVT.
P0700 is the TCM calling for the check engine light (also tells the ECM there is a transmission problem). P2764 is a code for CVT transmission solenoids that control the lock-up clutch in the torque converter. Depending on model/year it is one of two solenoids. Regardless of which model/year the repair is to replace the valve body in the transmission.

Good news is Subaru has extended the warranty for all CVT transmissions so odds are you may get a new valve body for no charge. Take it to a dealer and ask if you are covered by the CVT Warranty Extension.
Elbert Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 08:10 PM   #24
smokinone
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 494889

I took it to the dealer today, was the valve body as expected... no warranty. They advised to call SOA, so I will give it a try. I had it in in Nov for a vibration they said was nothing, but I guess it was. It's a 2014 Impreza Sport Limited.
I will see if they have a goodwill warranty as one other Subaru owner says they did for him with over the 100,000 mark, as mine is. I did take it in at 96K or so initially.
We'll see.
Thanks
smokinone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 12:56 PM   #25
dlyke11
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 498973
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza
Grey

Default P0700 & P2763 with a side of hypothermia

My 2012 Impreza CVT just got a similar issue.

Under normal driving, got the CEL and a slew of other lights. Was still driving fine, so I took it home and parked it. Upon scanning with my friends Snap On, I got the P0700 and a P2763 for the Solenoid Circuit high. Cleared the codes and drove it around the block a few times (still felt fine) and didn't come back up, but I'm still concerned and looking if anyone has experienced something similar or has any idea. Going to take it a little further and see if anything arises.

In the meantime, I'm dailying my 91 Miata in the Pennsylvanian winter until I figure out if my CVT is melting or not. Ideally I figure it out before the hypothermia kicks in.
dlyke11 is offline   Reply With Quote