Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday March 23, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Newbies & FAQs

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2019, 12:00 PM   #1
Typpi
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 499058
Join Date: Mar 2019
Default EBCS Over Boosting

I recently purchased my 4th wrx. im no stranger to a boxer. but my 02 wrx 5 speed was having some boost osolation issues so i changed all the vacuum lines. same problem. so tried changing the map and ended up with the same problem and now a misfire code for cylinder 4. so decided to change my stock bcs to a cobb EBCS, and installed the cobb stage 2+ EBCS tune which states should be at 17 PSI i hit 19.6 no more boost osolation but ended up with a misfire on cylinder 2 & 4 now. im lost at this point not sure if im not getting enough fuel or if there is something im missing. any advice is appreciated. and after searching the forums there isnt a whole lot of information on the EBCS and over boosting
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Typpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 03-14-2019, 12:46 PM   #2
Turpid Porpoise
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 476573
Join Date: Oct 2017
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Virginia
Vehicle:
2008 Impreza WRX STi
Silver

Default

What is the complete mod list for your car?
Turpid Porpoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 03:21 PM   #3
Typpi
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 499058
Join Date: Mar 2019
Default

02 wrx 2.0 with catless DP and UP pipe 3" straight pipe, Cobb SF intake, Cobb EBCS Cobb AP Stage 2+ EBCS tune
Typpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 06:31 PM   #4
Turpid Porpoise
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 476573
Join Date: Oct 2017
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Virginia
Vehicle:
2008 Impreza WRX STi
Silver

Default

The stage 2 ots map isnt designed for a catless downpipe and Iím pretty sure overboosting wih a catless downpipe is a problem on EJ205s. Im pretty sure thats going to be one of your issues.

When was the last time you changed the plugs or coil packs?

For the moment you can clean and tighten your grounds.
Turpid Porpoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:27 AM   #5
SirBrass
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 207263
Join Date: Mar 2009
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Northern PA
Vehicle:
2019 WRX Limited
World Rally Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turpid Porpoise View Post
The stage 2 ots map isnt designed for a catless downpipe and Iím pretty sure overboosting wih a catless downpipe is a problem on EJ205s. Im pretty sure thats going to be one of your issues.

When was the last time you changed the plugs or coil packs?

For the moment you can clean and tighten your grounds.
This right here. Cobb map notes will specifically state that the OTS tune is not intended for catless DPs, and catless DP depending on region and weather will tend to boost creep more than aftermarket catted.
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:24 AM   #6
Typpi
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 499058
Join Date: Mar 2019
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turpid Porpoise View Post
The stage 2 ots map isnt designed for a catless downpipe and Iím pretty sure overboosting wih a catless downpipe is a problem on EJ205s. Im pretty sure thats going to be one of your issues.

When was the last time you changed the plugs or coil packs?

For the moment you can clean and tighten your grounds.

I just changed all 4 plugs and coil packs not even a week ago.
ill check the grounds but that does make sense. why is spikes and then starts to fluctuate. so looks like its time for a pro tune. only problem the closest tuner is over 2 hours away. thank you very much.
Typpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:38 AM   #7
cknowlen
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 189077
Join Date: Sep 2008
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Connecticut
Vehicle:
2011 STI limited
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typpi View Post
I just changed all 4 plugs and coil packs not even a week ago.
ill check the grounds but that does make sense. why is spikes and then starts to fluctuate. so looks like its time for a pro tune. only problem the closest tuner is over 2 hours away. thank you very much.
Correct, it is time for a protune. But keep in mind that you don't necessarily have to drive somewhere to get a protune. There are plenty of reputable Subaru tuners who provide E-tuning services where they will send you a base map, you datalog and send results back via email, tuner adjusts map and resends...rinse and repeat...Usually a lot cheaper too.
cknowlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:45 AM   #8
Typpi
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 499058
Join Date: Mar 2019
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cknowlen View Post
Correct, it is time for a protune. But keep in mind that you don't necessarily have to drive somewhere to get a protune. There are plenty of reputable Subaru tuners who provide E-tuning services where they will send you a base map, you datalog and send results back via email, tuner adjusts map and resends...rinse and repeat...Usually a lot cheaper too.
ya i know. The last time i did a tune. like that on my Golf GTI the engine blew up in the middle of the adjusting the tunes from predetonation. Now i only use dyno tuners in person lol my Audi has been to a dyno tuner 3 times and its so much nicer.
Typpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:55 AM   #9
Turpid Porpoise
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 476573
Join Date: Oct 2017
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Virginia
Vehicle:
2008 Impreza WRX STi
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typpi View Post
ya i know. The last time i did a tune. like that on my Golf GTI the engine blew up in the middle of the adjusting the tunes from predetonation. Now i only use dyno tuners in person lol my Audi has been to a dyno tuner 3 times and its so much nicer.
There are a number of highly reputable guys who do E-tunes on Subarus. The software has gotten much more advanced to the point where there can be a negligible difference between an E-tune and a dyno tune but I personally prefer a dyno tune over an E-tune. There are things that an E-tuner can't feel/hear that may not show up on a log as a red flag.
Turpid Porpoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:34 AM   #10
Exit 37
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 475618
Join Date: Oct 2017
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Palmdale, CA behind a computer
Vehicle:
2006 WRX
World Rally Blue

Default

Do you have the lines installed correctly?
Exit 37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2019 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2017, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.