Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday October 23, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.5L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 09-11-2019, 03:09 PM   #26
bigBADbenny
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 314324
Chapter/Region: International
Vehicle:
MY07 Lib GTB 6MT Wag
OBP

In that log, the avcs system gives up entirely and the vvt angles stay fairly in sync till that point.
However vvt angles do not correlate to the duty and generally are falling away from where they should be.
In turn causing avcs system failure.
That would suggest that there may be an issue with total oil pressure, or even the oil level.

Iím mulling over the possibilities and will get back in more detail.
But at this point Iíd recommend checking oil pressure vs rpm.

Has the oil pickup in the sump been checked or replaced?
A broken or cracked stock item will tend to throw or flicker the oil pressure light on cold start.

As was suggested previously, checking the crank and cam sensors for contamination is a good idea as well, theyíre central to avcs operation.
Iíd start with the crank sensor.
Have any of the avcs oil control valves been replaced?

Last edited by bigBADbenny; 09-11-2019 at 03:18 PM.
bigBADbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2019, 05:58 PM   #27
Dylan12wrx
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 502960
Vehicle:
2012 WRX Hatchback
Pearl white

When the motor was rebuilt (about 3k miles ago) the pickup was cleaned and inspected. The drivers side OCV has been replaced and i have checked both cam and crank sensors. its been a little while since i have checked the crank sensor and so i will check it again soon. The oil pump has also been replaced. I replaced it with one from an 08 STI which from what I understand is an 11mm pump and supposed to be a higher volume than my factory one. could that be the issue?
Dylan12wrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 02:26 AM   #28
bigBADbenny
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
MY07 Lib GTB 6MT Wag
OBP

Iím really not sure, but as I said above, it looks like avcs angles are in sync but are falling away whilst the solenoid duty is steady, with the avcs system eventually giving up.
Iíve not seen this exact behaviour previously, but if youíre seeking expert help that would be the description.

Iíve definitely seen avcs give up, but in conjunction with one bankís angle lag, oscillation or inactivity.

Letís see three logs:
1: warmed up car, reset the ecu, noting any dtcís beforehand of course! Restart the car, begin logging asap and try to capture avcs self-calibration process.
This may happen on the first engine start, if not it should definitely happen on a second key on.

2: very gently vary the revs between 1500 & 2500 on a warmed up car in neutral, stationary. As well as varying the revs, try to hold certain rpms in that range as well for at least 30 seconds.

3: a freeway log, cruising speed, 4th, 5th & 6th gear if you have it.
No need to vary revs other than changing gears, maintain your speed though to show if different rpm/oil pressures have any effect on avcs behaviour during cruise.

Logs can be massive, Iím using megalog viewer to peep them.

Use tuning parameters plus the avcs related ones.

Also make a learning view, before resetting the ecu.
If its really bad, eg excessive knock etc, think twice about even driving the car and if you must, stay out of boost of course. The logs I mentioned do not require any hard driving.

Last edited by bigBADbenny; 09-13-2019 at 02:42 AM.
Old 09-19-2019, 03:19 PM   #29
Dylan12wrx
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2012 WRX Hatchback
Pearl white

So I haven't had time to take the exact logs you wanted but i did take a few while i was driving the other day and noticed that the AVCS angles were acting somewhat different than usual. The first thing that I noticed is that typically under a large throttle increase the AVCS angles will consistently stay at 20 degrees, well this day they would hang around 24 degrees. and most of this log was highway until the end when i got into town which is where i noticed the second thing. typically before the AVCS system would work "normally" until i came to a complete stop somewhere and that's when they would always shut off and not work again until the car was cut off and usually cooled down. In this log however the system did not give us as it usually did so i drove around and logged it until it quit.
Something that also may be worth mentioning: I left my house that day and went to town to get lunch (they worked until the car stopped for the first time the quit and never came back on) Then I went from where i ate lunch across town to Walgreen. (at no point in this trip did they work at all). Once i left Walgreen however, they began working and I only lacked like 4 red lights before i got on the highway to make my drive back home (which is where this log came from) so i ended up getting caught at all 4 red lights but while sitting at the lights i would play with the accel. pedal just enough to keep the system from dying.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
Old 09-19-2019, 06:50 PM   #30
bigBADbenny
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
MY07 Lib GTB 6MT Wag
OBP

Iíll take a peek later.
Odd avcs behaviour aside, what are the current issue/s whilst driving the car?
Old 09-20-2019, 01:35 PM   #31
Dylan12wrx
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2012 WRX Hatchback
Pearl white

other than the CEL on all the time and a lack of power, really none. the car runs good otherwise. When the AVCS system turns itself off the car seems to idle a little rough, but that could juse be me over exaggerating the issue.
Old 09-20-2019, 05:45 PM   #32
bigBADbenny
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
MY07 Lib GTB 6MT Wag
OBP

Specifically p050a, p0018 or?
Old 09-21-2019, 09:50 AM   #33
Dylan12wrx
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2012 WRX Hatchback
Pearl white

P0018, the only other code is for the secondary air injection system, I just need to have it removed and just haven't yet.
Old 09-21-2019, 04:47 PM   #34
bigBADbenny
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
MY07 Lib GTB 6MT Wag
OBP

Did you keep the atmospheric sensor whilst doing the air pump delete?

There is some anomalous avcs behaviour in the last log posted: right side ocv duty is 5% higher than left, and vvt angles are laggy compared to duty.

But yeah, bring on the logs I mentioned, if possible.
It would be good to rule out the avcs system or to see if its behaviour is related to timing being a tooth out or oil pressure etc.

Last edited by bigBADbenny; 09-21-2019 at 06:42 PM.
Old 09-22-2019, 11:40 PM   #35
Dylan12wrx
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2012 WRX Hatchback
Pearl white

I did keep the atmospheric pressure sensor. does it play a role in the AVCS system? I will do my best to get those logs within the next few days too.
Old 09-23-2019, 03:42 PM   #36
bigBADbenny
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
MY07 Lib GTB 6MT Wag
OBP

Just asking, re atmo sensor...
Yep those logs would be good to rule out any avcs issues.
Otherwise timing is a strong candidate based on research.
Old 09-26-2019, 08:41 PM   #37
Dylan12wrx
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2012 WRX Hatchback
Pearl white

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

So here is the log where I deleted the code and recorded the self learning procedure. It also has about 10 minutes of highway driving at the end.
Does the AVCS system act normal when I erase the code? it doesn't seem to lag like it does when the CEL is on.
Old 09-27-2019, 06:31 PM   #38
bigBADbenny
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
MY07 Lib GTB 6MT Wag
OBP

Something of note in the datalog, the initial inlet avcs angles during what looks like avcs recalibration (at the start of the log) are L 17' and R 6'...

Apparently, timing being a tooth out is more like a 15' difference, but I'm not sure if that even applies to AVCS.

However you did mention the LHS inlet OCV being replaced.
Do you have the part number?
This is something you'd want to check: I was googling "p0018 avcs" and found a thread that mentioned that MY08 inlet ocv's are different to MY12.

Generally in my experience, replacing OCV's in pairs is best practice, regardless.
Swapping them side to side is a good first diagnostic step to see if the issue follows suit.
On my inlet only avcs 2.5t its about 90 minutes to do the swap over or replace both.

Generally the log looks ok apart from avcs being fairly slow to respond to duty changes, its just that p0018 you need to nail.

Regarding the datalogs, please add engine load and or road speed.

Last edited by bigBADbenny; 09-27-2019 at 06:36 PM.
Old 10-02-2019, 05:35 PM   #39
Dylan12wrx
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2012 WRX Hatchback
Pearl white

Yes the P0018 is the only issue. I'll try to get the part number for the OCV today and check it and I'll post it. I talked to a friend of mine who is the mechanic as my local Subaru dealership. He seems to think the malfunction could be the cam gear itself by the way its acting. Which to me makes sense seeing how I had as much rod bearing material in the oil pan as I did. He gave me a used one that he said was good. I guess check timing for sure and then if that's good just replace that gear? Thoughts on that?
Old 10-03-2019, 01:39 AM   #40
bigBADbenny
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
MY07 Lib GTB 6MT Wag
OBP

I started just googling around p0018... it refers to the lhs bank.
Your avcs is working, so if I was going to research more:

Iíd be looking for specifically how avcs reacts to timing (specifically p0018) being a tooth out or:

Cross checking the avcs solenoid p/nís around your model year (STiís had a part update around my12, perhaps its the same for wrx?) or:

Check what solenoid is in the lhs, replace the rhs with a new one or both to suit, replace lhs cam gear which will force a timing reset anyway.

Last edited by bigBADbenny; 10-03-2019 at 02:01 AM.
Old 10-03-2019, 12:01 PM   #41
Dylan12wrx
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2012 WRX Hatchback
Pearl white

The pn for the OCV is VV1067
Old 10-03-2019, 05:21 PM   #42
bigBADbenny
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
MY07 Lib GTB 6MT Wag
OBP

For your car, thatís probably incorrect.

Iíd suggest a part search using your vin on eg partsouq.

Ok well this is why I suggest double checking the actual parts in the car: wrx also had the part number change for the inlet ocvís. You want to make sure youíre running:

The same ocvís with the correct p/n for your year.

Preferably use two new ones.

If you pull the ocvís in your car, iirc they do have a part number on the item itself, also the oil port configurations should be the same eg three on top and bottom or three top, two lower; whichever suits your car.

Info here:
https://www.fastwrx.com/products/subaru-oem-oil-control-valve-ocv-for-avcs

With diy trouble shooting, you want to go for the easy stuff, the low hanging fruit first.

In this instance itís diagnosis via logging, oil supply/pressure, loom/plug continuity, ocvís, sensors, cam gears/timing imho, or whatever suits your skill level or budget

Last edited by bigBADbenny; 10-03-2019 at 05:46 PM.